Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think they'll add X-Men to this. Maaaaaaybe Wolverine. Or Beast since he was an Avenger for a while. But there are a lot more characters who are Avengers that should be added before X-Men.

And the X-Men should get their own game. But that's probably a while off since Marvel was de-emphasizing them until they got the rights back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Deadpool seems like a no-brainer as far as incredibly popular non-Avengers characters go, particular since Fox was bought by Disney and they're developing a third movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think they'll add X-Men to this. Maaaaaaybe Wolverine. Or Beast since he was an Avenger for a while. But there are a lot more characters who are Avengers that should be added before X-Men.

And the X-Men should get their own game. But that's probably a while off since Marvel was de-emphasizing them until they got the rights back.

That's, why I suggested they would do it as an attempt to help flagging sales.

If this does well enough with just avengers probably won't see them. Except as you said, wolverine or Deadpool.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If they add Venom I might be interested.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Someone posted a couple pages ago data mining of the 2/3rds of the roster that won’t be in at launch. Presumably they’ll be added with later patches and/or DLC. With only a small portion of the eventual roster in game at launch, it seems best to wait a year till the inevitable “Game of the Year” edition with the full roster comes out.

This trend of releasing unfinished games, selling pieces of the finished product as DLC, then a year or two later selling a GotY edition of the complete game sucks.

RatHat posted:

So there were a bunch of future playable characters datamined. Note that most of these are JUST the name and they don’t have models or anything so I wouldn’t expect most/any of these to be in at release.

Unannounced Playable Characters:
Ant Man
Wasp
Vision
Black Panther
Dr Strange
Falcon
Mar-Vell
Mockingbird
Quake
Winter Soldier
Scarlet Witch
Captain Marvel
Kate Bishop
She Hulk
War Machine

Other Character Mentions:
Frenzy (Probably an enemy class)
Ultron
Red Hulk
Deathlok
Vindicator
Monica

- I really doubt these are secret unlocks but there might be a few. I’d say Captain Marvel, Warmachine, and Antman have the best chances of being secret characters already in the game.
-Note how many are close to current heroes in the game so they can probably reuse the same skeleton for the model, and they might basically be skins.
-The ones with the most files are Black Panther, She-Hulk, Kate Bishop and Winter Soldier so those and Hawkeye are probably the first 5 DLC characters.
-By the way Antman is specifically called “Antman2” so it’s probably Scott Lang.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't really think you understand the model. This game was never going to have twenty plus characters at launch. They're free updates, as is all the content like missions, locations, etc.

They're not holding this stuff back.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like DLC for this will be major stuff, like Here's the Fantastic 4 that also adds Doom and missions involving Latveria, or the Inhumans vs the Kree. Adding Good Hawkeye to the game will be a free update. Though I can see them doing "Here's the Kate Beaton pack! Get 1000 coins and 2 extra costumes! Only 9.99!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kate Bishop.

Though I'd probably pay for a Kate Beaton addition.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kate Bishop.

Kate Beaton would make this an instant preorder.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kate Bishop.

Of course i knew that, but it didn't click.

But yea, right now I'm wishing that existed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like DLC for this will be major stuff, like Here's the Fantastic 4 that also adds Doom and missions involving Latveria, or the Inhumans vs the Kree.

That’d be a pretty major reversal from what they’ve promised.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think you’re underestimating how much work a single character takes. I wouldn’t expect more than 1 new character every few months.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BGrifter posted:

Kate Beaton would make this an instant preorder.

If they used the Kate Beaton version of Kraven I would be so happy

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Jerusalem posted:

:hellyeah:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Big Hat Tarleton:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jerusalem posted:

Also her X-Men.

Maybe not her take on Cloak & Dagger though, the moral guardians might not be too impressed (to be fair, with good reason) with the costume...

WirelessPillow posted:

I guess this will be a marvel universe where Spidey doesn't get any kind of influence or control over the Avengers

I mean, for most of Marvel's history he wasn't even on the team. Him being an Avenger is a relatively new development.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Okay? I’ll admit it: once you get more actual people in multiplayer this game gets pretty fun. There’s still a lot of little things they could improve upon, though. Hopefully they will because I could see this replacing Destiny as my pick up and play for a day every so often game.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Why didn’t Crystal dynamics use the decades of comic books for likenesses instead of the stunt doubles from the movies.

Also, calling it now that there will be skins for slightly-like-the-game-but-with-‘original’-faces a month after launch.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ColdIronsBound posted:

Why didn’t Crystal dynamics use the decades of comic books for likenesses instead of the stunt doubles from the movies.

Also, calling it now that there will be skins for slightly-like-the-game-but-with-‘original’-faces a month after launch.

The faces look a lot better now. Playing the demo I wasn't bothered by them or their outfits, except Cap's still seemed a little off.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, for most of Marvel's history he wasn't even on the team. Him being an Avenger is a relatively new development.

True, but he's been an Avenger more or less since the original Bendis New Avengers run which is 15 years old at this point.

Also I had another crack at the beta and I'm officially disappointed now.

The thing is the combat is pretty good. It's everything around it that seems bad. The terrible loot, dodgy character models and all the cosmetics I could live with those. But the main gameplay loop is bad is the real problem.

Spawn into an area, advance to a mini-arena, fight a few waves of characterless mooks, advance to next area, which in most maps is identical to the previous. Repeat till mission won.

The fighting is fun, but not fun enough to cover the fact that you're almost always just beating on synthezoids or whatever. It's a bit of a chaotic mess with 4 Superheroes as well.

There was the potential for a great game in there, strip out the completely seperate live service game that obviously got grafted onto it halfway through development. Spend all that time modeling more interesting places, plot and boss battles.

Keep that 2 hero's at a time dynamic and allow Ulitmate Alliance style switching.

I am genuinally annoyed, it'll probably still sell millions on the strength of the brand.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s a dumb argument, but Spider-Man was only really an Avenger for the Bendis years, a short stint on Ewing’s Mighty Avengers, and possibly the beginning of Hickman’s Avengers (he was mind swapped with Doctor Octopus really early on). Spider-Man doesn’t get called on to be an Avenger often because he’s a bit of a flake, and his life is a mess.

Just wake me up when Squirrel Girl is announced.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this was a lot better when actual humans are playing with you.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The only superhero team I recognize Spider-man as a legitimate member of is The New Fantastic Four. :colbert:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, played through A-Day and it is...pretty good. Pretty solid as an ARPG brawler that would probably be worth playing through at least once. Maybe that will change once I hit the GaaS portions.

I don't know if anyone care much about Maximillian Dood here but there was a funny moment (That I will link as soon as I care enough to find it) where he was watching one of the War Room presentations and was (correctly) complaining about the lack of color in the game when someone in the chat said "Cause it looks realistic" or something, and then he proceeds to LOSE HIS SUGAR about it, basically saying "It was a stylistic choice from the movies, HAVE YOU EVER loving GONE OUTSIDE. REAL LIFE DOES NOT LOOK GREY"

EDIT: Okay, the Taskmaster fight was a nadir.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 22, 2020

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I really want to like this. I can see how the combo system can work and I can pull off some cool stuff sometimes, but I also know how much of a grind it’s going to be. But it also doesn’t feel super deep. Like a piece of gear will say “2.7% chance to get damage resist when you do a combo” and it never feels like that matters. I was hoping this could be a Destiny replacement but in Destiny the guns all feel different and the stats can make two of the same gun feel so different as well. And then some missions have secrets that certain characters can unlock but you can’t switch when you’re solo so you have to replay the mission where you run down grey corridors again and it starts to blend together. I don’t know, I’ll probably still pick it up day one because I’m a fool.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Pros: It looks WAY better on PC than PS4.

Cons: It still sucks. It crashes every 10 minutes or so, and it also frequently gives me the "Could not connect to Square Enix servers" error, and there is no way to quit from the Start menu except to alt tab and stop the game from task manager.

This launch is going to be a huge dumpster fire. I can't wait.

Edit: Also the load times are the same on my PC and my PS4, despite my PC having almost the fastest M.2 NVMe storage you can buy. That's loving disgraceful.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 22, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I quit my session when my Hulk got stuck walking into a wall

Also my heart sank when I realized you can't switch characters either.

I also am starting to think that there have used to have been a fun ARPG Brawler until they wanted to chase the GaaS dragon

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 22, 2020

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I had fun with the beta on PC, but yeah definitely don't buy on launch cause this is buggy as balls.

Generally I like how the mission structures work, in that it's quick and you can choose what you want super easy. As long as there's a quickjoin on a full release this could be great for drop-in/out sort of stuff.

Aside from all the GaaS poo poo, the big problem I have is with how the combat shakes out. I feel like the core for most characters is trying towards an Arkham sort of brawler, where a skilled player can effectively come out of most fights unscathed. This can and will happen with smaller solo encounters, and when it does it feels fantastic. There issue here is that four-player gets super noisy, so that sort of precision goes out the window whenever a group fight is involved. Maybe if you have a team of people you know playing who all have tactics in mind smooth combat could work, but in pubs a lot of time combat is going to be a shitshow.

This isn't helped by the short dodge distance the characters have, and the short reaction times that players have to counter coming attacks. There are a lot of unblockable hits coming your way in this one, and maybe it's my muscle memory screwing me, but that combined with the small windows really hosed my ability to counter in ways that I've never experienced before in other games.

Also, there are far too many turrets and flying drones to deal with, which gets really annoying really quickly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I played a bit, until Bruce and Kamala in the woods. The opening SF stuff looked great, the fight against Taskmaster was pretty good, other than janky dodging with the keyboard.

But as soon as I got to the forest, everything went to poo poo. Like it still played fine, but the backgrounds had that screen door blur going on.

I can't seem to get my controller to work on pc though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I tried out the beta on Steam and got up to Bruce and Kamala setting up their base, I feel like there was probably a core interesting single-player game idea here that got turned into some kind of unholy mess when somebody realized they could try and turn it into Destiny or whatever and then tried to have their cake and eat it too by making it simultaneously single-player and multi-player. Seeing all the messages pop up going,"You can collect in-game points that convert into in-game currency to buy cosmetics and resources!" just made my heart sink.

Also I presume it's a symptom of being a beta and us not having full access to the entire story, but what story is present seems weirdly disjointed and the heroes have no real reason that I can see to doubt either the sincerity OR the ability of the "bad guys" to do what they're setting out to do. Sure we know that AIM are bad guys, and that there is probably more going on than what we see on the surface. But the heroes don't really have any reason I can see to doubt their authenticity, and having Bruce of all people say,"Oh they've found a cure for people having powers they never asked for? Well that's a bad thing and we have to stop them!" makes no sense given who he is. Especially given he is shown in one of the cutscenes as the guy who admitted the Avengers were a danger to everybody else in the first place.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Black Widow and Hulk were probably the best part of the beta, but yeah it runs pretty rough. Looks way nicer than I was expecitng. Honestly I think the character designs look fine, I dont get why people were expecting the movie deisgns.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
People expected them because the movies made more money than god, so cynicism told us it'll be those iterations of the characters

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm having some low key fun during the beta but I'm definitely going to wait and see once its fully out.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
They kind of used the Ultimates costume designs, so good I guess?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I didn't expect them to be exact movie duplicates but I'll admit that I've been conditioned to see them a certain way after 12 years and about 20 films. It makes them seem kind of off but that may well pass over time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Also I presume it's a symptom of being a beta and us not having full access to the entire story, but what story is present seems weirdly disjointed and the heroes have no real reason that I can see to doubt either the sincerity OR the ability of the "bad guys" to do what they're setting out to do. Sure we know that AIM are bad guys, and that there is probably more going on than what we see on the surface. But the heroes don't really have any reason I can see to doubt their authenticity, and having Bruce of all people say,"Oh they've found a cure for people having powers they never asked for? Well that's a bad thing and we have to stop them!" makes no sense given who he is. Especially given he is shown in one of the cutscenes as the guy who admitted the Avengers were a danger to everybody else in the first place.

I think it was less "Well a cure is a bad thing!" and more "In my experience, there was no magic cure, so I am guessing there is probably more to this". It is not very well framed though. I think other trailers showed Kamala also investigating Inhumans being detained by AIM so I think by this point they are pretty sure they are not quite on the up and up

Also I think there is just a weird uncanny valley effect in screenshots because of the style obviously mimicking the movies but can't use likenesses. It is better in motion though.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 22, 2020

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'll be playing on the PS4 and I expect the launch to be less than stellar. I shall be everyone's canary in the coal mine.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I honestly had low expectations for the game and I found it to be an okay action brawler game where I can just zip around as different heroes for a small chunk of time and have some fun. I only pre-ordered to check out the Beta but I actually liked it enough that I probably will keep the game. The beta improved the online as it went on, so good thing they did those I guess.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The PC beta did not even crack the top 50 on most played games on steam. 16k played today.... ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I can't believe that they managed to make a big budget Avengers game this loving anemic.

Spent 3/4 hours with the beta and that's probably enough for me to tell that this game isn't going to be worth $60 at all.
Way too much time playing as Hulk in the opening, that was unbelievably trying on my patience alone.

Combat overall is about what I guess I'd expect from a third person Avengers game? I dunno, but it just really felt like I was just swinging fists through crowds like a musou with absolutely no real satisfying impact from my hits.
Loot with the most basic ARPG stats ever, this was definitely a last second addition to the game.
Uninteresting skill trees.
Nothing notable about any of the missions that I saw.
Story stuff itself seems kinda fun, I might pick it up on a deep discount some day just to go through the campaign but otherwise meh.

I think the highlight of the beta for me was just playing as Cap, that felt pretty cool.

Widow was fun to play as too, surprisingly, I'm kinda interested to see how Hawkguy gets handled.