Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violet_Sky posted:

Dont play Mother 3

Still has one of the most devastating final bosses. It’s really a shame Nintendo hasn’t localized it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

tuo posted:

Reading all these posts I think I might have the wrong villagers. *jumps on Isabelle's seat in the townhall

Could it be a friendship-level thing perhaps?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Whenever I've taken a week or so off in AC, my villagers are always "Oh hey, did you go on vacation? I hope you ate tasty things" or saying something along the lines of it's good to take personal time and I'm always :kimchi:

Yeah, they've deliberately removed a lot of the negative vibes from the game. They're like "oh I thought you didn't want to talk to me, but I'm glad that was wrong!"

A lot of the grumpier/meaner dialogue is replaced too. They're just happy folks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, they've deliberately removed a lot of the negative vibes from the game. They're like "oh I thought you didn't want to talk to me, but I'm glad that was wrong!"

A lot of the grumpier/meaner dialogue is replaced too. They're just happy folks.

I approve of less penalties from not playing for a bit but I do miss the grumpy dialogue from some of them. The cranky villagers aren’t even cranky anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beastie posted:

I still have not gone back to LM3 because of the stupid redneck water boss. It's so dumb and lovely.

Don't slam your acceleration at full blast, feather yourself around the arena slowly and let inertia do the work. Basic newtonian physics are your friend for that fight.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Still has one of the most devastating final bosses. It’s really a shame Nintendo hasn’t localized it yet.

I still think they will put out a Mother colleciton at some point since they haven't made either Earthbound or Earhbound Beginnings available, but who knows when that will be. Probably after their next console has been announced.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nail Rat posted:

I still think they will put out a Mother colleciton at some point since they haven't made either Earthbound or Earhbound Beginnings available, but who knows when that will be. Probably after their next console has been announced.

I feel like remakes are more likely than them doing a localized version of the GBA game at this point. Something that made all 3 look like the clay art would be awesome.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

magimix posted:

Could it be a friendship-level thing perhaps?

Not sure, it's mostly my favourites that treat me like that. I only have like two currently I'm not that fond off, and they seem to be more like "oh, I kinda forgot about you, but I also don't care about stuff", IIRC they are the lazy ones? The rest I try to talk to each day WHEN I play and give them stuff they like/favourite color and stuff.

But as I said, I assume it's just me. We currently have the situation that some kids in the family play that game WAY too much, and it pushing that might just rub me the wrong way.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Goddamn I'm terrible at Dead Cells but it is so pretty and I wish I wasnt trash at this kind of game :negative:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I feel like remakes are more likely than them doing a localized version of the GBA game at this point. Something that made all 3 look like the clay art would be awesome.

I came around to the LA remake but I'm not sure I could get behind an Earthbound remake over the SNES ROM.

Either would be better than nothing of course.

I don't think they would bother remaking Earthbound Beginnings/Mother to that degree though.

edit: the best case scenario: EB Beginnings and Earthbound added to Switch Online to promote a LA style Mother 3.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 21, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

A Link's Awakening style remake with that aesthetic would be loving amazing of any of those 3 games.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nail Rat posted:

I came around to the LA remake but I'm not sure I could get behind an Earthbound remake over the SNES ROM.

Either would be better than nothing of course.

I don't think they would bother remaking Earthbound Beginnings/Mother to that degree though.

If they remade EB in the visual style of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse it'd be fairly amazing

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

A Link's Awakening style remake with that aesthetic would be loving amazing of any of those 3 games.

I know Itoi will never do a 4 but I wish someone would ask him what he thinks of that idea.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Morpheus posted:

I don't understand the need for a game to have explicit replay value. Like, I understand getting the value out of your dollar - not everyone can pick up a $70 title every week - but I think there's absolutely no reason for a game to be replayable. Sure, in some genres this is sort of built-in like roguelikes or even some story-based games where you decisions actually matter (which are few and far between), but with something like A Short Hike, I finished every piece of content there was in that game once, and I feel like it was an amazing experience that I doubt I'll pick up again, and I'm totally happy with that.

And hell, the absolute last thing I want in a 30+ hour experience is for something to be like 'oh but you can replay it again with different stuff this time!'

Sorry, didn't mean to rag on you, I've just seen that phrase thrown about a few times more than usual recently and it's kinda bugged me.

Edit: Also some people have mentioned Blasphemous, and I just happen to find that there's a free DLC on it's way out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QdGzJhunb4

Edit: This is what I get for not following game news

I just spent a bunch of time playing Breath Of The Wild and beat it last night. Come back to this game and there is this update.

The Spanish dialog sounds pretty cool too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKfree2PJ_A

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Mother 3 with the Link's Awakening art direction would be pretty great but I remember the original sprite work as breathtaking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Earthbound should be remade in a stop-motion-esque style like the figures in the guidebook.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

A Short Hike is really charming, and a perfect game for my 5-year old to sharpen her reading skills.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Goddamn I'm terrible at Dead Cells but it is so pretty and I wish I wasnt trash at this kind of game :negative:

It clicked with me when I told myself to slow down. Ignore all the speed run stuff and play it like you would an old Castlevania game.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Casu Marzu posted:

Do what I do and go into custom mode and give yourself all the turrets and swords and lashes you could want, it's a lot of fun just bombing through the world and carving everything up, and you can go back to normal mode or turn up the difficulty when you feel more comfortable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I enjoyed the links awakening remake, but I didn't know enjoy it that much more than if I had just played the original. So while part of me wants Oracle of ages and seasons to be remade in the same way, I could just go play the originals now and still have an equally good time.

I was playing it when a few friends came over and they instantly pointed out that I seemed to be playing an old NES game with pretty visuals. They did promise us a straight remake, yeah I guess I'm just surprised as to how little I got out of it even though I love the original.

Anyways they made me turn it off to play Mario Party which itself wasn't very fun but I had fun on account of alcohol and weed

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Links Awakening remake allows you to use more than two buttons so I enjoyed it way more.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ah right that's true, having to pause every 10 seconds to switch weapons was annoying and that was a nice qol change. Not $60 nice but still appreciated

I completely even forgot about that benefit, so yeah I guess I wasn't dazzled by the game in general. I don't fault the game though that's on me, as the game delivers exactly what it promises

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Something about the art style of the new one when combined with the 1:1 map recreation of the original didn't sit well with me. The original art style is basically perfect anyway. But hey it sold like 8 million copies at $60 so apparently they know what they're doing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, it’s a fine remake but I wish it went a little further and added another new dungeon with new item instead of the chamber dungeons. It’ll still be the definitive version for me for just less menu switching alone even though I’ll always love how the original looks.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

how the f is new super mario bros deluxe still 60 fuckin smackers god drat you nintendo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if they did a remake of oracle of seasons i'd probably pick it up, as long as it preserves some of the gorgeous aesthetics

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fuligin posted:

how the f is new super mario bros deluxe still 60 fuckin smackers god drat you nintendo

They know you're going to pay it.

And you are, aren't you?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mdemone posted:

And you are, aren't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kkbPG7n9pA

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Johnny Joestar posted:

if they did a remake of oracle of seasons i'd probably pick it up, as long as it preserves some of the gorgeous aesthetics

Why not Ages? They both go hand in hand.

I’d love them to combine them both but we all know they wouldn’t do that and we’ll pay full price for each.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

mdemone posted:

And you are, aren't you?

:shepicide:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Earthbound with like 1/3 the combat would be worth it. There is far far far far far too much combat in that game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why not Ages? They both go hand in hand.

I’d love them to combine them both but we all know they wouldn’t do that and we’ll pay full price for each.

i mostly found the puzzles in ages tedious and since they'll inevitably have them as separate things if they ever do it i'm gonna pick the one i like

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Earthbound but with Mother 3’s combat would be great.

As would Mother 1 without the many, many flaws it has.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

Something about the art style of the new one when combined with the 1:1 map recreation of the original didn't sit well with me. The original art style is basically perfect anyway. But hey it sold like 8 million copies at $60 so apparently they know what they're doing.

It was going to be the first Zelda for a lot of kids who're growing up or their second after BotW and it being among the best, if not the best of the 2D Zelda's it introduces them perfectly well to the other side of that series and arguably to what classic Zelda is, because BotW is pretty unique in its own right.

I always loved the original but I would be curious to know how many people who bought it, were playing it for the first time, because in that sense it makes for an excellent intro to Zelda game.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oracle of Seasons was my first Zelda. I honestly don't remember why I bought it but apparently a lot of kids did along with DKC for GBC.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SeANMcBAY posted:

yea but the problem with remaking earthbound zero is that no matter how much you buff and varnish, the base game actually DOES suck rear end lol

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I had a weird Zelda blackout when I was a kid, I had the original on NES but then never played any Zelda games until LttP was ported to the GBA. The Oracle games are some of the only ones I haven’t gone back and played since then, I’m hoping for a GameBoy-flix type app for Switch Online to try them out.

I would definitely buy a remake in the style of Link’s Awakening though, I really enjoyed that. It was probably a bit overpriced but it was fun enough that I don’t really care.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The White Dragon posted:

yea but the problem with remaking earthbound zero is that no matter how much you buff and varnish, the base game actually DOES suck rear end lol

Pretty much. Horrible game balance, massive stretches of nothingness that would be kinda neat if not for the high random encounter rate, insane difficulty spikes, horrible massive-yet-empty dungeons, pretty much requires a walkthrough...it's a rough game that mechanically has not aged well. Its story is basically a prototype for Earthbound, though it does have enough differences to be its own thing, and of course the music is baller (with many of the tracks being reused in Earthbound), but overall I'd recommend experiencing the game either through a Let's Play or through copious amounts of cheating to not deal with battles and random encounters.

Though maybe that one attempt of remaking Mother 1 in Earthbound will end up being decent, if it ever gets finished.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It was going to be the first Zelda for a lot of kids who're growing up or their second after BotW and it being among the best, if not the best of the 2D Zelda's it introduces them perfectly well to the other side of that series and arguably to what classic Zelda is, because BotW is pretty unique in its own right.

I always loved the original but I would be curious to know how many people who bought it, were playing it for the first time, because in that sense it makes for an excellent intro to Zelda game.

I never got farther than the first couple of dungeons in the original LA. Having to open the menu to swap items constantly drove me absolutely batty.

I found the remake to be a delight from start to finish. It has been said but I would love to see the Oracle games done in the same manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Japan-only GBA port of Mother 1 shrank the big empty screen and added a run button and the quick action shoulder button from Earthbound.

Then the guy who translated Mother 3 ported the NES translation to the GBA and hacked in an XP doubler, so that is definitely the version to play if you ever wanted to play it, but even after all that it's still not a very good game.