Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

VacaGrande posted:

Is that the newer stuff near Deep Creek Lake? Looks fun.

Sorry, I'm used to thinking of Frederick as western MD and forget about the little bit cut off by WV. This is Gambrill State park and the Frederick Watershed north of Frederick. About 7.5-8 miles in on the Catoctin Blue Trail. I loved the less chunky sections, but there were 4 or 5 sections of that crazy chunk on sustained uphills that was just brutal. Unless you did it while I was watching I wouldn't believe it would be possible to pedal the whole way up that, not even if you were a world class trials rider.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/catoctin-blue-trail/

All the descents are above my paygrade, but stupid fun. Looking forwards to getting in some more time and improving way more than I did just riding the mellow stuff in Iowa.

Turmoilx posted:

oh wow.. yeah id definitely NOT be able to do that at my probably 18 and 20 psi.. haha (paved paths was my plan and i didn't bother to lower for this place) until i get that gauge im worried about lowering it to much and having a weird leak again out of a spoke

i wouldn't even know where the path goes in that picture do you just follow the road of spikes?

Actually your bike would have done ok on this stuff since you would be able to float a little bit better over the chunk. Tracking the trail was easy. Just look for the gnarliest bit of terrain around, probably uphill, and that is where you were going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

spwrozek posted:

They seem fine to me. My rear looked just like that (only a bit worse) on the side knobs and more wear in general at about 1000 miles (same tires as you). I just put an aggressor on the rear and kept my XR4 on the front. So maybe change them or maybe ride out the year with them.

Curious about your thoughts on the aggressor.. It sounds like it would work pretty well here but wondering how grip is going uphill with it and whether you climb seated or standing?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
DHF aggressor combo 4 lyfe

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

Curious about your thoughts on the aggressor.. It sounds like it would work pretty well here but wondering how grip is going uphill with it and whether you climb seated or standing?

I am only one ride in on it. I really liked it. I put cush core in the rear as well. Seems like it is real grippy. I usually climb seated (those long long climbs in Colorado).

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Turmoilx posted:

once i get more comfortable i wonder, would jumps destroy this rigid bike? ..i had a lot of speed coming out of the exit trail onto the parking lot and couldn't help myself to get some air i had rode bmx younger only rode at the skate park but eventually quit going, now its around 8 years later

those bigass tires should absorb some of the impact, but it honestly depends on the size and hardness you ride on the jumps, and the bike itself. my guess is if you used to ride bmx in skateparks you probably have some knowledge of how to jump where its not just destroying your bike, which I guesss mostly leaves: how well built is your bike? Fwiw, most dirt jump bikes only have front suspension, so you definitely dont need rear suspension to hit a jump without destroying your bike.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The bike will be fine, your body will be the limiting factor for jumping a rigid bike IMO.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nyyen posted:

The one black diamond trail in Des Moines is barely worse than the access trail to a blue line out here. I don't know how I'm supposed to ride this stuff uphill.
Open the shocks, sit down and pedal.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Turmoilx posted:

oh wow.. yeah id definitely NOT be able to do that at my probably 18 and 20 psi.. haha (paved paths was my plan and i didn't bother to lower for this place) until i get that gauge im worried about lowering it to much and having a weird leak again out of a spoke

i wouldn't even know where the path goes in that picture do you just follow the road of spikes?

A rock garden like that a a bit like one of those choose you own adventure type of books.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

PolishPandaBear posted:

A rock garden like that a a bit like one of those choose you own adventure type of books.

Unless you select exactly the right path, you die horribly?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

Unless you select exactly the right path, you die horribly?

You had a pedal strike. Turn to page 69.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stuff like that I'd just run a lower gear for torque and try to keep the bike moving. Or if it's in a downhill section look for a rock you can use at the beginning to jump the whole mess.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
yeah mostly only real worry is the front fork breaking or bending in some way then also slight worry of the rims .. time will tell, i am dreading whenever i mess up the rims though and i feel its bound to happen

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Nyyen posted:

This is Gambrill State park and the Frederick Watershed north of Frederick. About 7.5-8 miles in on the Catoctin Blue Trail.

Not sure exactly where that photo was taken, but I've ridden the section of that trail that runs north from the parking lot on Hamburg Road on my hardtail, looked about like that. I've only done it once, poo poo wrecked my knees.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

PolishPandaBear posted:

It looks like a street cobbled by a sadist.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Colorado....smoke....bad....

Not riding also bad though... Not sure it was worth it tonight though.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Nyyen posted:

Sorry, I'm used to thinking of Frederick as western MD and forget about the little bit cut off by WV. This is Gambrill State park and the Frederick Watershed north of Frederick. About 7.5-8 miles in on the Catoctin Blue Trail. I loved the less chunky sections, but there were 4 or 5 sections of that crazy chunk on sustained uphills that was just brutal. Unless you did it while I was watching I wouldn't believe it would be possible to pedal the whole way up that, not even if you were a world class trials rider.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/catoctin-blue-trail/

All the descents are above my paygrade, but stupid fun. Looking forwards to getting in some more time and improving way more than I did just riding the mellow stuff in Iowa.

Ah, in that case you're talking stuff I know. The Shed/Gambrill is the best riding for a long way around, nothing else that good until you get down to Harrisonburg area. You're gonna love riding there. If you want a good descent that anyone would enjoy there's a brand-new machine built flow trail right near Hamburg Rd just to the south called Three Saws. Super fast, super fun. It's the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFLzzTkyyl4

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

afflictionwisp posted:

Not sure exactly where that photo was taken, but I've ridden the section of that trail that runs north from the parking lot on Hamburg Road on my hardtail, looked about like that. I've only done it once, poo poo wrecked my knees.

Yep, that's it exactly.

VacaGrande posted:

Ah, in that case you're talking stuff I know. The Shed/Gambrill is the best riding for a long way around, nothing else that good until you get down to Harrisonburg area. You're gonna love riding there. If you want a good descent that anyone would enjoy there's a brand-new machine built flow trail right near Hamburg Rd just to the south called Three Saws. Super fast, super fun. It's the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFLzzTkyyl4

Thanks for the heads up. That is exactly what I was looking for and what I don't have access to much in IA.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

spwrozek posted:

My throat's scratchy just walking around. I have been using this opportunity to do recovery something something.. carboload? I'm bursting with fuel now is what matters here. Can't wait to explode on Belcher.

VelociBacon posted:

Or if it's in a downhill section look for a rock you can use at the beginning to jump the whole mess.

:hmmyes:

it's quite true that the surface doesn't matter when you're in the air

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Soft excuses from softer legs.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

XIII posted:

Soft excuses from softer legs.

Very soft indeed.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Once again developed a stupid clicking while pedaling after a nice day of abusing the Journeyman on singletrack. As much as I like this bike it's had a truly atrocious number of hours devoted to maintenance both by myself and by a local shop, I think when I get it back it may be time to sell it while the current bike craze is on and get something that'll stand up to abuse a little better. Sadly my timing appears to be for poo poo as all the current year bikes I could dig (bridge club, fargo, unit x) are all in their ugliest color options.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Don't want to restart the dumb argument about frame costs from the beginning of the thread, but saw this in a NYT article:

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

spwrozek posted:

California sending us some extra as if we didn't have enough already
https://mobile.twitter.com/nwsboulder/status/1297045647129018369?s=21

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
yo goons, I currently use a gravelbike (triban RC520 w/ 35mm gravelking SK's, pictured below) and it's fine on most surfaces but sketchy on rocky/rooty stuff, and I can't go fast on technical parts because of geometry and lack of suspension. Love exploring the woods around here with it though, even if it's hard work sometimes. I also use the bike on my trainer, and cleaning it for indoor use when it's muddy outside is a bitch and a half.

So, I'm considering getting a basic hardtail this fall to screw around on some local trails. As Iive in the Netherlands there's not much elevation to speak of. So I'm mostly doing flat trails, or sometimes short & punchy climbs/descents. An average trip of 2-3 hours has a max of 400m of elevation.
This bike caught my eye:

https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/bikes/mountainbike/hardtail/attention/cube-attention-sl-petrolnred/

900 euro, 1x12 xt rear mech, deore shifters, judy silver 100mm front suspension, 13.5kg. Love the colors. If I'm buying it I'm going for an M (29' wheels, 17' frame).
Good idea? Anything on the bike that seems off?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Geometry is pretty dated and reach is super short and has a steepish head angle at 69 dungarees. Super narrow handlebars too. It's definitely an xc bike but that sounds like what you want honestly. Some of the component choices and specs are vague so it's hard to tell much. I have no idea why there's an XT derailleur on that bike, it seems very out of place.

I personally wouldn't go with that one and find something more modern frame wise since it's about the only thing you can't upgrade easy and cheaply (fork also generally).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 23, 2020

Whahappen
Mar 27, 2010
It's only been a week, but I wanna go back to the UP damnit!

This is the last (easiest) rock roll before Manpants on overflow:

The little drop option at the end of it:

Manpants:

And Ladypants:

You can tell which one I sent.

An overlook of sorts on the trail Pine Knob in Marquette:

We didn't get a chance to do Overflow again, or send Manpants on Sunday, as my friend messed up his ankle badly. He made it home via the buddy he drove up with, then that buddy drove back up to meet me back in Marquette to finish out the week. The trails there are freaking amazing! Marquette has ruined me, I wish we could build trails with cool features sprinkled in everywhere, in southern MI. DTE today was fun, but not... that kinda fun. I'll be back up to Copper Harbor for the big boy clinic which is fast approaching, and so looking forward to it.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Those trails look great. Nice work. Would love to get up there some day.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Copper Harbor is the best, maybe someday I'll send Manpants...

Meantime I'm funemployed and riding more, looking forward to this monstrosity:
https://www.thedragon.us/the-dragon-trail/
Should be a great weekend ride mixed in with camping at Newaygo when it's done

E; gah I miss that little coffeeshop on the lakeshore with the scones

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Whahappen posted:

This is the last (easiest) rock roll before Manpants on overflow:

The little drop option at the end of it:

Manpants:

And Ladypants:

You can tell which one I sent.

An overlook of sorts on the trail Pine Knob in Marquette:

We didn't get a chance to do Overflow again, or send Manpants on Sunday, as my friend messed up his ankle badly. He made it home via the buddy he drove up with, then that buddy drove back up to meet me back in Marquette to finish out the week. The trails there are freaking amazing! Marquette has ruined me, I wish we could build trails with cool features sprinkled in everywhere, in southern MI. DTE today was fun, but not... that kinda fun. I'll be back up to Copper Harbor for the big boy clinic which is fast approaching, and so looking forward to it.

Definitely miss living in up Houghton sometimes...although Colorado isn't bad.

I will be in SE Michigan the 1st-6th riding if you feel like meeting up.

Bud Manstrong posted:

Those trails look great. Nice work. Would love to get up there some day.

Yeah man we should do it one of these summers. I also want to do Arkansas.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I also want to do Arkansas.

Get at me about this.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

XIII posted:

Get at me about this.

You know I will.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Car Hater posted:

Didn't know this existed, that looks awesome. We're over in that part of the state somewhat often during summer but I didn't know there was anything other than Owasippe in the area. Also hit me up for rides during the weekdays (11-5ish) if you want. This week excluded but after I should be good.

Last 2 of 3 rides haven't been great with a couple dumb crashes. :smith: Finally buying a hanger alignment tool which I should have done a long time ago but, eh. Still trying to get some neck/shoulder pains worked out too. Going to PT this week to see if it helps.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Those features look fun but I am not able to relate to this idea of riding rocks that have actual water on them and this concept confuses and frightens me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mexican Radio posted:

Those features look fun but I am not able to relate to this idea of riding rocks that have actual water on them and this concept confuses and frightens me.

There isn't even any river running down it!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

Didn't know this existed, that looks awesome. We're over in that part of the state somewhat often during summer but I didn't know there was anything other than Owasippe in the area.

If you haven't been up to the Big M that is a good ride. About an hour and a half north of Owasippe.

Car Hater posted:

That ride looks like it will be really cool when done.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
who's building the trails for dragon tail? It doesn't list a contractor just a chapter and two county parks public works orgs. I'm a little surprised they're going so slow on a 47 mile project, at the rate they're projected they'll get finished in like 8 years and people don't like to wait 10% of their lifespans for poo poo like this. There's an 88 mile project in Ohio, different terrain and mostly green trails where they're going to be finished in 2 or 3 years of construction. I mean they had a list of 10 contractors I think, but I'd have expected something similar.

Whahappen
Mar 27, 2010

Car Hater posted:

I've been keeping an eye on that one, it's a drat (:v:) cool project and a beautiful ride, though I'm not getting to excited about it yet. I'm hoping it doesn't end up being a rather smooth 47 miles, even if there's fun side hits, it might feel bland? Hopefully they make sections with some chunder, like Merrell has with Sawtooth if anybody's familiar. Doesn't help that I rode Mosquito Creek (by Muskegon) earlier this summer after some favorable facebook posts only to find I should have brought my gravel bike. Or done 2 laps of Owasppie instead.

And are you talking about Jamsen's? I didn't make it there this trip :( Hopefully I'll get a chance in September.

spwrozek posted:

Definitely miss living in up Houghton sometimes...although Colorado isn't bad.

I will be in SE Michigan the 1st-6th riding if you feel like meeting up.

Yeah man we should do it one of these summers. I also want to do Arkansas.

I might be around the Holly Holdridge area the 5th, can let you know. Or if you feel like a trip west to Yankee Springs or Fort Custer on a weekday evening, I can make it there after work.

I keep watching the weather for Bentonville in January when I have some free time. A trip hasn't worked out the past couple years, but I keep hoping one of these years I can buzz down there when its 60* and sunny. A summer trip would be harder to make happen but could be a possibility.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

thatguy posted:

who's building the trails for dragon tail? It doesn't list a contractor just a chapter and two county parks public works orgs. I'm a little surprised they're going so slow on a 47 mile project, at the rate they're projected they'll get finished in like 8 years and people don't like to wait 10% of their lifespans for poo poo like this. There's an 88 mile project in Ohio, different terrain and mostly green trails where they're going to be finished in 2 or 3 years of construction. I mean they had a list of 10 contractors I think, but I'd have expected something similar.

lol we have a 30+ mile ongoing project that first hit paper in 2005, broke ground in 2014, and we're now two full years into red tape on the fully-funded last phase without even touching dirt. the users will be there when the project gets done, and the project gets done when the project gets done.

throwing 10 contractors at a project is also a recipe for a total mishmash of style and quality, and I've heard a number of horror stories from rapid buildouts where they ate up all their corridor in a couple seasons and had to go redo huge segments that weren't up to snuff. there's a big learning curve when you're managing the buildout of a whole system for the long haul, and precious few top-tier contractors available to do the work.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Whahappen posted:

hell yeah my man, the women's clinic this year was great even with covid modifications (cohorting, masks in group areas, no inside anything, no shuttles, etc). Looking forward to having the dudes up in september!

We found an interesting carbon failure mode:

Yesterday we had a trailwork day where we removed two stopgap skinny bridges on one of our highest-trafficked and most remote trails and replaced them with 36" beasts. Got some pushback already for "dumbing down the trails" but it was a necessary change and represents the original vision for the crossings. It was certainly an adventure getting those big fuckoff logs from the mill to the site.

There's another ~4 miles of this trail and another monster bridge going in right now, most of which should be open by the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

thatguy posted:

I'm not sure of the name, but the person who twigged me to it said it's the same folks that did DTE, so I expect some similar good machine-built flow sections that can go either direction.