Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

We have mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
You do now

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Morter posted:

Alright folks, new topic:

whaddy'all think about games

vibeo
games

Hate 'em, never play 'em
now, buying them when they're on sale? I do that a lot

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

let's check the workshop

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Orv posted:

Just to be clear, the thread title is almost immaterial here, it's the whole new mods coming in and acting like by not going along with this we're somehow loving up their cool plans and being smug about it. It's not a great look.

Just to be clear, again, I made a joke and some people were in support so someone took the initiative to change it. There were no cool plans. It was just assumed that people wouldn't care if the threads title matched its actual content.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Darkest Dungeon sure feels like an uphill struggle to level up characters than can die with relative ease. And not even die in interesting ways. It was exciting when I completed a mission with my guys freaking out and my best guy on Death's Door but if the RNG had gone the other way the mission would have ended in disaster with absolutely 0 input on my part.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Relax Or DIE posted:

Just to be clear, again, I made a joke and some people were in support so someone took the initiative to change it. There were no cool plans. It was just assumed that people wouldn't care if the threads title matched its actual content.

which someone

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Relax Or DIE posted:

Are you really surprised that goons are obstinant about the most arbritrary bullshit

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it just really doesn't come across well when you've made a couple of posts in the thread at all and it looks like you shifted the thread based on a whim, if someone else did it then welp not a great first impression though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

please rename this thread to Epic Games Store: Store Citizen

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I take no umbrage with mod-related thread title shenanigans, just thought it was kinda silly

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Okay I guess I am going to write this post.

IME people actually are talking about Steam in this thread like 90% of the time, even if it's tangentially or indirectly. Hardware derails are rarely more than a few posts long and usually come up ITT for a very obvious reason and replies are usually brief, to the point, and say to check the dedicated hardware thread in SH/SC for a greater level of expertise. (And the actual #1 hardware topic is regarding controllers, for which Steam has the best compatibility and is why the topic can shift to the merits of, say, the Dualshock 4.) A game being held back from being released on Steam due to going Epic exclusive is still, ultimately, a Steam-related issue and is inevitably going to stir up some EGS talk every single time it happens. Neither of these is anywhere near as big of an issue as they're being made out to be. Giveaways and other store's sales get posted across a number of threads just as a general heads up so I don't see the problem there either.

I do think it's a little goofy that recently people are posting a ton about Remnant when that explicitly was an Epic giveaway and more to the point all the crunchy mechanics talk can surely go in the game's own thread, but even then that's a minor complaint and not all that different from any other time people start using this thread as a general talk about recent game XYZ chat corner.

Re: EGS specifically, another two good reasons why talk of it ends up here (beyond it being a direct competitor to Steam) is that, one, its own thread is pretty blatantly a quarantine zone for the more full-throated arguments about it rather than being some locus of cool Epic-exclusive gaming chat and two, there's usually gently caress all to actually talk about when it comes to EGS beyond the drama, the arguments, and the occasional sale and/or giveaway (the latter of which is also handled by the general free games thread anyway).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Det_no posted:

Darkest Dungeon sure feels like an uphill struggle to level up characters than can die with relative ease. And not even die in interesting ways. It was exciting when I completed a mission with my guys freaking out and my best guy on Death's Door but if the RNG had gone the other way the mission would have ended in disaster with absolutely 0 input on my part.
The thing to remember about characters is that they're fundamentally disposable. You're not really meant to get attached to any particular one, because they can get ruined past the point of usability fairly easily even they don't just outright die. Resolve Levels don't even always work in your favour - once a character becomes too strong, they can't go into dungeons that are below their level anymore, which limits their usefulness greatly. When it comes to Darkest Dungeon, something to always keep in mind is that you play the Estate, not the characters, and sometimes it's a valid strategy to kick out everyone and recruit fresh level 1s so that you can go back to lower-level encounters.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

SirSamVimes posted:

Are you really surprised that goons are obstinant about the most arbritrary bullshit

To be honest this time yes

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

SirSamVimes posted:

This isn't about the title, we just went through like a year of forums poo poo a lot of which was caused by an adversarial relationship between the mods and posters and here we have a case where it looked like the Mods(who generally have not posted in this thread outside of mod reasons) came in and acted arbitrarily after getting a firm no and instead of just saying "My bad" it feels like they are acting lovely.

It wasn't a big deal just a little oops, but not a great way to start the relationship.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hub Cat posted:

This isn't about the title, we just went through like a year of forums poo poo a lot of which was caused by an adversarial relationship between the mods and posters and here we have a case where it looked like the Mods(who generally have not posted in this thread outside of mod reasons) came in and acted arbitrarily after getting a firm no and instead of just saying "My bad" it feels like they are acting lovely.

It wasn't a big deal just a little oops, but not a great way to start the relationship.

You're right, actually!

I can't apologize for anyone but myself but, I apologize for my part in this. Right before (and after) the name change, posters seemed pretty excited and positive about it but you're right that the firm nos when directly asked outweigh the indirect yeses that might have just been in favor of the cool joke in the suggested title

I hope I have not made any of the posts that you feel are acting lovely, and if I have I encourage you to PM me with which ones, so that I can review them and improve myself in future posting endeavors

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Anyway double post to split topics. but mostly the derails are Steam adjacent and I'm not sure anybody in here had an issue with them? They usually stem from a Steam discussion stay chill and die all on their own after a few pages. If you're getting reports come in and say knock it off and we'll move on.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I see you, I hear you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

After such a tumultuous year, seeing dA mOdS act so wantonly put me in a dark place, mentally

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Hub Cat posted:

Well said

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Hub Cat posted:

Lol the firm no was about 3 people. The majority ignored it and carried on talking about the epic store. Could you be any more dramatic about a god drat name change?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

please rename Hub Cat to PC GAMING THREAD

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol the firm no was about 3 people. The majority ignored it and carried on talking about the epic store. Could you be any more dramatic about a god drat name change?

Are you ok?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hub Cat posted:

losing my mind and getting self righteous because someone changed the name of the general pc gaming thread to the general pc gaming thread ftw

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

just call it the steamy pc game discussion thread

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hub Cat posted:

Hub Cat posted:

Anyway double post to split topics. but mostly the derails are Steam adjacent and I'm not sure anybody in here had an issue with them? They usually stem from a Steam discussion stay chill and die all on their own after a few pages. If you're getting reports come in and say knock it off and we'll move on.

Said better and more succinctly than I evidently could.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

just call it the steamy pc game discussion thread

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

love to talk about the situation in the last year where some now ex mods did literally heinous stuff to run interference for a domestic abuser and relate that to a thread title changing to better represent the content in it bcos i get upset and scared when something changes. anyway if you need to hear more PM me i hjave plenty more thoughts about things such as the new dcu direction and why zach snyder was robbed :cheers:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Change sucks so I like that it’s back to the steam thread. It’s meaningless but it’s an Internet forum and a thread about video games, it’s all kind of meaningless.

But it was a good title.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
This is the general PC gaming thread and should be named as such. Also delete the other threads

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
We should settle this by quake 3 arena CTF

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Stux posted:

love to talk about the situation in the last year where some now ex mods did literally heinous stuff to run interference for a domestic abuser and relate that to a thread title changing to better represent the content in it bcos i get upset and scared when something changes. anyway if you need to hear more PM me i hjave plenty more thoughts about things such as the new dcu direction and why zach snyder was robbed :cheers:

Hi please don't put words in my mouth. I'm absolutely not loving okay with the domestic abuser or mods covering for a domestic abuser but that is not what I am talking about and I'm pretty sure you know that. Call me a tedious baby overserious idiot afraid of change if you want but don't insinuate I'm a gamer shithead.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

El_Elegante posted:

We should settle this by quake 3 arena CTF

Team Fortress Classic concmap_r, first to the end gets to pick the name.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hub Cat posted:

Hi please don't put words in my mouth. I'm absolutely not loving okay with the domestic abuser or mods covering for a domestic abuser but that is not what I am talking about and I'm pretty sure you know that. Call me a tedious baby overserious idiot afraid of change if you want but don't insinuate I'm a gamer shithead.

then why bring it up instead of saying "i dont agree with the title change" lol no one made you say "This isn't about the title, we just went through like a year of forums poo poo a lot of which was caused by an adversarial relationship between the mods and posters" which is directly referencing that and drawing a comparison, one which in this fair goosn opinion, is completely disgusting when the discussion is "the thread is the same but the title is different now, help". you literally say "this isnt about the title" i cannot read that post any more generously because u do not allow me to because of how you wrote it. in the future maybe just say you dont want the title changed instead of coming up with galaxy brain takes, that would be my advice.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

worms armageddon cpu vs cpu with each team representing a thread title

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

dbzfandiego posted:

This is the general PC gaming thread and should be named as such. Also delete the all other threads

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I do not care about the thread name but I much prefer having Steam's spinning piston threadicon.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This loving sucks, just so everyone is aware

I'm going to talk about a game what's on steam now. Black Mesa owns, those who disagree are tasteless, discuss

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pigbuster posted:

I do not care about the thread name but I much prefer having Steam's spinning piston threadicon.

It’s beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Stux posted:

then why bring it up instead of saying "i dont agree with the title change" lol no one made you say "This isn't about the title, we just went through like a year of forums poo poo a lot of which was caused by an adversarial relationship between the mods and posters" which is directly referencing that and drawing a comparison, one which in this fair goosn opinion, is completely disgusting when the discussion is "the thread is the same but the title is different now, help". you literally say "this isnt about the title" i cannot read that post any more generously because u do not allow me to because of how you wrote it. in the future maybe just say you dont want the title changed instead of coming up with galaxy brain takes, that would be my advice.

Okay maybe I wasn't being clear mea culpa, I'm talking about the other nonlowtax related blowups like the Fyad thing, the cspam mod thing, the PPJ thing. Giant thread happening about the one right now.

It's not about the title it's about mods not talking or listening festering and turning into blowups.