Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

im more upset they played themselves out of the top ten draft tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
All of the usurper teams have been defeated.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

hello darkness my old friend

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
It's a disappointment because they really looked like they could win for a lot of the series. Oh well, the habs didn't belong here in the first place and I'm looking forward to years of Kotkaniemi and Suzuki. (Why the gently caress didn't they play Poehling tonight?)

Also gently caress you Philadelphia Flyers with your garbage turtle boring rear end bullshit. The media is going to fellate Carter Hart but he didn't have to do poo poo.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It's a disappointment because they really looked like they could win for a lot of the series. Oh well, the habs didn't belong here in the first place and I'm looking forward to years of Kotkaniemi and Suzuki. (Why the gently caress didn't they play Poehling tonight?)

Also gently caress you Philadelphia Flyers with your garbage turtle boring rear end bullshit. The media is going to fellate Carter Hart but he didn't have to do poo poo.

therrien's revenge

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

yellowcar posted:

therrien's revenge

:stonk:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

on the plus side, very happy Suzuki is ultra cool and good

looking forward to him feeding sick passes to Caufield

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

yellowcar posted:

im more upset they played themselves out of the top ten draft tbh

I appreciate their sacrifice

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

The habs at seed 24 put on a better showing than 12-23 (Canucks pending).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The Flyers haven't done the turtle defense all season. They only switched because they inexplicably could not handle the Habs forecheck

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

*desperately checking the scouting reports for players going at 16th*

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Flyers haven't done the turtle defense all season. They only switched because they inexplicably could not handle the Habs forecheck

Fair. A win is a win too. Won Brodeur 3 cups. Just frustrating to watch from the other side.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

yellowcar posted:

*desperately checking the scouting reports for players going at 16th*

The could probaly use Amirov or Mercer. I know they don't need another center, but Jan Mysak is underrated in my opinion.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Still got half a game to go, but welcome St. Louis fans

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Still got half a game to go, but welcome St. Louis fans

yeah, the pause basically killed all momentum and a lot of players (looking at you, Binnington) regressed and regressed hard

still got a Cup out of it

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Why'd they go back to Binnington anyway? He sucked in the games I saw and Jake Allen didn't.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

sedative posted:

Why'd they go back to Binnington anyway? He sucked in the games I saw and Jake Allen didn't.

Allen was definitely the better goaltender of the two, and was in net for the two wins the Blues got. I mean, I'm not complaining, but I agree it's pretty weird to go back to Binnington.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Just need the Blues and Habs here and the first round is perfect outside of the Bruins ruining everything like usual.

Everything suddenly feels right again.

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!
Hello HAS, I am here for the Bergevin posting.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Zybl0re posted:

Hello HAS, I am here for the Bergevin posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyQswGcQiN0

Here ya go

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Calgary media is begging for a Gaudreau trade, and I can't really disagree with it. 3 years in a row he went missing in the playoffs completely

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

sleep with the vicious posted:

Calgary media is begging for a Gaudreau trade, and I can't really disagree with it. 3 years in a row he went missing in the playoffs completely

He needs a fresh start in Pittsburgh. Would you like a bottom 8 defenseman with a stupid contract? We have a few for you to choose from

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Everyone will probably disagree, but the red flags for the Blues were there from the jump. Waited an extra week to go into the bubble. Got absolutely worked by the loving Blackhawks (even if it's an exhibition game, you shouldn't get blanked by that defense and Malcolm Subban) and showed no cohesion in the play-in round. I'm surprised they won 2 against the Canucks to be honest.

Now it's time for Armstrong to figure out how to unfuck a situation of his own creation: sign Pietrangelo and move one of Allen, Steen, or Faulk. At least they'll get a higher draft pick!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Would you like one (1) slightly used Michal Kempny?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

grack posted:

Allen was definitely the better goaltender of the two, and was in net for the two wins the Blues got. I mean, I'm not complaining, but I agree it's pretty weird to go back to Binnington.

Sticking with your backup in the playoffs in an elimination game when he just lost is a statement you can't take back. If you lose with the backup in net everyone is up your rear end about your choice. If you win then you still have to deal with the fallout of a hosed up dynamic.

On the other hand, lol

Edit: honestly though, it's interesting seeing what people learn from the past. You could take two different things from the Binnington situation from last year. One is that Binnington is good and you should go with him. The other is that going with the goalie who is playing well gives you the best chance to win regardless of their current position. Similar situations in the past can be used as examples to 'prove' either lesson, so neither is necessarily objectively right.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 22, 2020

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Yeah the guy with 7 points 1 behind the team leaders went missing. Sure he had 1 point in 5 games 2 years ago and yea he laid an egg the year before that..... because the flames didn't make the playoffs. It isn't like he had 20 more points then the next closest that year. And if you want to go further back sure 2 points in 4 games isn't great but lol at saying it's Gaudreau's fault when you're getting .880 goaltending lmao. By all means trade your career ppg. I'm sure there's great history of that working out! I mean it's definitely Gaudreau's fault Calgary is putting Zac Rinaldo on the ice for 6 minutes a night. Great roster utilization there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Tony G and our second 1st for Johnny Hockey who says no?

E: Kreider on the 4th line lol

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Josh Anderson, your choice of David Savard/Ryan Murray/Markus Nutivaara, and a pick.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Off season is going to be wild with either a ton of crazy trades because of the unforeseen cap freeze due to Covid , or a bunch of rumors that turn into nothing because everyone is too scared to make moves due to Covid.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

all GMs are cowards so it will be the latter

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Yeah, he really should've scored more than one goal in that game where they gave up seven in a row.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Zodijackylite posted:

Yeah, he really should've scored more than one goal in that game where they gave up seven in a row.

"All those goals against were clearly Gaudreau's fault because that's what the worms in my brain tell me." - The vast majority of hockey reporters.

grack fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 22, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Gaudreau had the puck more they couldn't have scored.

Blame your fancy stats. Or God.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Aphrodite posted:

If Gaudreau had the puck more they couldn't have scored.

Blame your fancy stats. Or God.

Rude of you to attack me like that :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/VjvHeoytbaY

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

grack posted:

"All those goals against were clearly Gaudreau's fault because that's what the worms in my brain tell me." - The vast majority of hockey reporters.

I'm gonna write a narrative based on a glance at the stat sheet.

*Checks most ice time*
Mark Giordano is still good but over the hill at 36 and no longer an ideal #1 defenseman.

*Checks most PIM*
Milan Lucic took some really bad penalties

*Checks least ice time*
Zac Rinaldo is a worthless piece of poo poo

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Ultimately was the Ovechkin era a success or a failure for the Capitals? It's a tough call for me to say. Because of course you have the Stanley Cup year which was easily the best time in Capitals history. But they never even made the conference finals any other year. I think you have to consider it a failure for the most part looking at the whole of the years rather than just that one and not getting too enamored with just one success. The team failed to build a core that didn't consistently get bounced out of the playoffs despite having arguably the best goal scorer in NHL history.

I know I will be sneered at for this but I think you have to look at these Capitals teams and try to avoid structural flaws in the future that might lead to this. I'm not even saying they needed more than one cup for it to have been a success, just that NEVER making the conference finals outside of one year to me points to some inherent flaw that the team never corrected.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
You win the cup it's a success.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kawalimus posted:

Ultimately was the Ovechkin era a success or a failure for the Capitals? It's a tough call for me to say. Because of course you have the Stanley Cup year which was easily the best time in Capitals history. But they never even made the conference finals any other year. I think you have to consider it a failure for the most part looking at the whole of the years rather than just that one and not getting too enamored with just one success. The team failed to build a core that didn't consistently get bounced out of the playoffs despite having arguably the best goal scorer in NHL history.

I know I will be sneered at for this but I think you have to look at these Capitals teams and try to avoid structural flaws in the future that might lead to this. I'm not even saying they needed more than one cup for it to have been a success, just that NEVER making the conference finals outside of one year to me points to some inherent flaw that the team never corrected.

I think you’re overvaluing getting to the ECF/SCF and still losing. I know the “can’t get past the 2nd round” bit became A Thing, but in the end it doesn’t matter when you lose. There’s one team good enough and lucky enough to win it each year and the rest of the teams’ relative playoff success or failure becomes moot.

They won it all and their names are engraved on the Cup. That’s enough for me. Would I have loved for them to use the insane talent they had during the Green/Semin years to greater effect? Sure. But they didn’t. I can see where you’re coming from, but the Ovechkin Era is still a success for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pre-cap if you had the at worst 2nd best goal scorer of all time and only 1 finals appearance to show for it that would be, but it's a much closer league today.