Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bewbies posted:

He was still mad 70 years on about the fact the army made him fly a fully loaded C-87 over the highest mountain range in the world. Like, the shittiest climbing, worst flying, least reliable plane on earth, and you're going to fill every nook and cranny with fuel and cigarettes and then make me fly it over...that?

He was literally one of the guys who bailed out in Temple of Doom, wasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

That's what my grandpa did for the first half of the war. He was pleased when he was reassigned to fly bombing missions in the ETO, the loss rate was much lower.

His plane:

He's the very serious looking one on the right.

Each one of these men is 22 years old

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's a good question; I don't really understand how the Philippines went from being an oppressed colony to being on the path to being its own nation with very good relations with the US.

For a very simplified summary, the Filipinos were riaing because of a belief that the US intended to keep the country by force. This was exacerbatrd by statetments made by Military Governor Otis, along with official government announcments that were abridged by Otis in ways that made this seem like the intent. Tp make matters worse, Otis flatly refused to negotiate a peaceful settlement once the fighting started.
Otis was sacked and replaced by Arthur MacArthur, who had arranged surrender on decent terms of the leader of the insurrection, and was replaced by Taft who was hastening civilian rule.

By then, thr US Congreds had begun instituting local rule for the iskands, and by 1916 the independence program was well under way. Essetnially, the US wound up caving to the demands pf the locals, who eventually blamed he whole mess on Otis and other assholes.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cool story I just found from early modern London

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_Tom

quote:

The Whipping Tom of 1681 was active in the warren of small courtyards between Fleet Street, Strand and Holborn.[3] He would wait in the narrow and dimly lit alleys and courtyards.[4] After approaching an unaccompanied woman, he would grab her, lift her dress, and slap her buttocks repeatedly before fleeing.[5] He would sometimes accompany his attacks by shouting "Spanko!"[3

There was a great public outcry in response to the attacks, which prompted complaints about the ineffectiveness of London's policing arrangements at the time.[9] Women would carry "penknives, sharp bodkins, scissors and the like",[10] and male vigilantes would dress in women's clothing and patrol the areas he was known to operate.[8]

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Squalid posted:

male vigilantes would dress in women's clothing and patrol the areas he was known to operate.[8]

:crossarms:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The second Whipping Tom sounds like a proto-incel:

quote:

Between 10 October and 1 December 1712 a string of further attacks took place in fields near Hackney. This attacker, also nicknamed "Whipping Tom",[12] would approach lone women and beat them with "a Great Rodd of Birch".[13] Around 70 women were assaulted before a local man named Thomas Wallis was captured and confessed to the attacks.[12][13] According to Wallis, he was "resolved to be Revenged on all the women he could come at after that manner, for the sake of one Perjur'd Female, who had been Barbarously False to him".[13] He claimed that his plan was to attack a hundred women before Christmas, cease the attacks during the Twelve Days of Christmas, then resume the attacks in the new year.[13]

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What a wanker.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Any book recs re,: phillipines in the pacific theate?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fuligin posted:

Any book recs re,: phillipines in the pacific theate?

Cryptonomicon.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bewbies posted:

He was still mad 70 years on about the fact the army made him fly a fully loaded C-87 over the highest mountain range in the world. Like, the shittiest climbing, worst flying, least reliable plane on earth, and you're going to fill every nook and cranny with fuel and cigarettes and then make me fly it over...that?

Was your grandpa the source of the story mocking transport pilots who thought the Alps were tall?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gnoman posted:

For a very simplified summary, the Filipinos were riaing because of a belief that the US intended to keep the country by force.

The US DID keep the country by force for half a century and killed hundreds of thousands of people doing it. It wasn't some misunderstanding. Let's not whitewash American colonialism here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bewbies posted:

Apparently one of my stepdad's uncles did this too. I found the papers awarding him a medal in my childhood home, tucked away for who knows how long.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

feedmegin posted:

The US DID keep the country by force for half a century and killed hundreds of thousands of people doing it. It wasn't some misunderstanding. Let's not whitewash American colonialism here.

The Filipinos were rising for reasons that seemed perfectly sensible given their understanding at the time, and the military governor at the time created that understanding through incredible incompetence and bluster.

The US did not keep the country by force for half a century. By 1916 a commitment to Filipino independence was official policy and local government was well-established - the first elections were held in 1907. Armed resistance was finished because the locals had gotten what they wanted in the first place.

Similarly, the Moro rebellion ended primarily because General Pershing sought out what the Moro wanted and gave it to them.

In both cases, the bloodshed was due to American arrogance and incompetence. But I supposed anything except "the Americans were totally butchering people for funsies!" is considered "whitewashing".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gnoman posted:

The Filipinos were rising for reasons that seemed perfectly sensible given their understanding at the time, and the military governor at the time created that understanding through incredible incompetence and bluster.

The US did not keep the country by force for half a century. By 1916 a commitment to Filipino independence was official policy and local government was well-established - the first elections were held in 1907. Armed resistance was finished because the locals had gotten what they wanted in the first place.

Similarly, the Moro rebellion ended primarily because General Pershing sought out what the Moro wanted and gave it to them.

In both cases, the bloodshed was due to American arrogance and incompetence. But I supposed anything except "the Americans were totally butchering people for funsies!" is considered "whitewashing".

Not for funsies, any more than any other colonial power, but they did enforce US control of the Philippines against the will of its population. If they didn't want to do that they could have just...left. At any time. Which is what the locals wanted. We don't defend British rule of India in this time period. Why does America get excused?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

Not for funsies, any more than any other colonial power, but they did enforce US control of the Philippines against the will of its population. If they didn't want to do that they could have just...left. At any time. Which is what the locals wanted. We don't defend British rule of India in this time period. Why does America get excused?

It doesn't, but the US also has a much more ambivalent relationship with its overseas possessions for a bunch of reasons. Part of it is that a good sized chunk of the population wasn't wild about out and out colonialism - as opposed to imperialism - for quite a while. Part of it is that integrating overseas possessions meaningfully meant recognizing those people as Americans, and racism comes in big here.

The rapidity with which the US went from full on "we want those spanish colonies" to putting in place plans for independence (albeit independence in an American sphere of influence with continued US bases etc) is pretty telling, especially given the reluctance longer-term colonial powers had to giving up their overseas possessions.

I don't have any sources for this, but I suspect a lot of it had to do with just how populous and non-white the Philippines was. Hawaii or Guam or Puerto Rico is one thing, 20 million (in~1940) Philippinos is something else entirely.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

feedmegin posted:

Britian didn't vow to grant India independence a mere 20 years after owning it, and strongly imply an intention to do so well before that.

The suppression of the Filipino and Moro rebellions was extremely unpopular in the US even before the atrocity stories started popping up in the newspapers, and every contemporary source I've seen took a "they can stay if they want to, but we shouldn't make them" attitude.

Trying to treat the situation as "The Phillipenes were held in brutal chains by force until the US suddenly decided to get rid of them in the 30s" is every bit as distorted as "The Filipinos were our happy little brothers until they grew up and moved out."

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't have any sources for this, but I suspect a lot of it had to do with just how populous and non-white the Philippines was. Hawaii or Guam or Puerto Rico is one thing, 20 million (in~1940) Philippinos is something else entirely.

Robert Bridges, 1899 posted:

Oh, thank you, Mr. Kipling,
For showing us the way
To buckle down to business
And end our "childish day."
We know we're young and frisky
And haven't too much sense --
At least, not in the measure
We'll have a few years hence.

Now, this same "White Man's burden"
You're asking us to tote
Is not so unfamiliar
As you're inclined to note.
We freed three million negroes,
Their babies and their wives;
It cost a billion dollars,
And near a million lives!

And while we were a-fighting
In all those "thankless years"
We did not get much helping --
Well, not from English "peers."
And so -- with best intentions --
We're not exactly wild
To free the Filipino,
"Half devil and half child."

Then thank you, Mr. Kipling,
Though not disposed to groan
About the White Man's Burden,
We've troubles of our own;
Enough to keep us busy
When English friends enquire,
"Why don't you use your talons?
There are chestnuts in the fire!" 

There were several other parodies in that vein. Really there's been a small industry of White Man's Burden parodies from various points of view since the dumb thing was written until the present day.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This article goes into greater detail (And corrects me on a few minor points-it was King who favored bypassing the Philippines altogether, not Nimitz, though Nimitz was in favor of bypassing Luzon), but the tl;dr is that Taiwan (Referred to as Formosa at the time) occupied a central strategic position in the South China Sea that would have allowed the Allies a staging area for operations into both China and Japan, as well as denying Japan sea lanes crucial towards keeping their forces in China supplied.

Interesting article, thanks.

TL;DR: America knew the final goal was the invasion of Japan, and they had to make a choice as to what the next step should be. 1) Attack Japan directly. 2) Attack Formosa. 3) Take Luzon and the Philippines. All the top brass examined the later two in great detail. There was also sidebar conversations about "take Formosa, and it is way easier to take the Philippines" etc.

MacArthur was the champion of #3, and actually made the best argument. The Navy was broadly in favor of #2, but as the debate continued a bunch of things happened to weaken the appeal of #2 while strengthening the case further for #3. The B-29 bases were lost by the Chinese, Formosa would have been much harder to take and probably necessitated taking a mainland Chinese port because Formosa's harbors were not great, the Japanese army might be able to reinforce Formosa and attack this port or ports, and all while doing this the Japanese own the Philippines and can harry the American supply chain. In contrast the Philippines was easier to take, a central position for blockading Japan from South East Asia, and had a population very friendly to America and willing to fight the Japanese.

e: what's more, the timing favored the invasion of Luzon. It was going to take so many troops to invade Formosa the Joint Chiefs thought it'd take victory in Europe before they'd get the troop numbers. In contrast, MacArthur was ready to attack Luzon in late '44 and needed no extra reinforcements.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 21, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Captain von Trapp posted:

There were several other parodies in that vein. Really there's been a small industry of White Man's Burden parodies from various points of view since the dumb thing was written until the present day.

You also had poo poo like this which I've never been able to figure out if it's against keeping these new possessions because we can never teach "people like that" or if it's lamenting how difficult our new burden will be.

I mean, you do see a fair but of totally unironic white man's burden in the American context too.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I don't know if the Amerindian reading upside down or the window washer is more grotesque there. At least the representations of Hawaii, PR, Cuba, and the Philippines are recognizably people.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Going through wages of destruction some more and the author is describing how thin of a margin Germany, it's allies and occupied areas had with fuel and energy reserves along with the insane shock effects it had on its economy. I already am aware of the demotorization effort but I'm curious if the Axis made any other attempts at increasing energy efficiency and fuel economy during the war beyond ever more extreme rationing?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Interesting article, thanks.

TL;DR: America knew the final goal was the invasion of Japan, and they had to make a choice as to what the next step should be. 1) Attack Japan directly. 2) Attack Formosa. 3) Take Luzon and the Philippines. All the top brass examined the later two in great detail. There was also sidebar conversations about "take Formosa, and it is way easier to take the Philippines" etc.

MacArthur was the champion of #3, and actually made the best argument. The Navy was broadly in favor of #2, but as the debate continued a bunch of things happened to weaken the appeal of #2 while strengthening the case further for #3. The B-29 bases were lost by the Chinese, Formosa would have been much harder to take and probably necessitated taking a mainland Chinese port because Formosa's harbors were not great, the Japanese army might be able to reinforce Formosa and attack this port or ports, and all while doing this the Japanese own the Philippines and can harry the American supply chain. In contrast the Philippines was easier to take, a central position for blockading Japan from South East Asia, and had a population very friendly to America and willing to fight the Japanese.

e: what's more, the timing favored the invasion of Luzon. It was going to take so many troops to invade Formosa the Joint Chiefs thought it'd take victory in Europe before they'd get the troop numbers. In contrast, MacArthur was ready to attack Luzon in late '44 and needed no extra reinforcements.

Why would Formosa be much harder than the Philippines?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Speaking of lessons of the past to apply to modern war, as I find this a very interesting discussion.

What lessons were there from the Donbass War? I remember reading some after-action report that said Ukrainian tank columns would get massively hosed up by Russian/Separatist artillery. It made me think, I haven't heard much about artillery versus tanks. Has artillery always been so deadly to tank columns?

The Separatists were able to capture a few tanks and more light armored vehicles. What allowed them to checkmate Ukranian forces was putting out bait so that the furious Ukranian generals would send tons of unprepared armor into one spot with the idea of rooting out any separatist positions and being invulnerable to anything but rpg teams and mines, and there was heavy bombing from the Ukranian air force to supposedly support this, but it was indiscriminate enough not to matter.

Bombing occupied towns doesn't work well, it creates an ideal battleground for a more lightly armed opponent. So the Separatists were able to bottle up these tank columns, and if they didn't surrender, to rain hell in the form of Grads on the border and artillery closer. Your famous 'cauldrons'

They were whipping the Ukranian army, but Putin started having charismatic commanders assassinated, started to shut down the "military surplus store" of old munitions and gear, and froze the conflict with friendly oligarchs in control. It sucks for the Russian Ukranians who were fighting for a free country run by the people for the people, but when your only supporter is a state like Russia, you can't really expect to win with wine and roses. I remember the tears on livejournal. Russians still use livejournal.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Most notably the Philippines were hundreds of islands which each needed a separate garrison force while Formosa was a single island.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Milo and POTUS posted:

Experience and distance, mainly. The US already had seen how hard it was for the IJN to reinforce smaller islands, and particularly in the southern Formosa you wouldn't be able to avoid easy reinforcements from large Japanese bases close by.

E: f,b

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was a big, singular island the Japanese owned (and I gather they had popular support there, if nowhere else) - geographically it looks to be a big open plain perfect for maneuvering right next to a forest-covered mountain range perfect for staging guerrilla warfare. And to top it all off, you'd have to go AROUND the loving thing to get at the good landing spots. It's barely feasible for the PRC to land on Taiwan now and they'd be coming from less than 200 kilometers away.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Cyrano4747 posted:

You also had poo poo like this which I've never been able to figure out if it's against keeping these new possessions because we can never teach "people like that" or if it's lamenting how difficult our new burden will be.

I mean, you do see a fair but of totally unironic white man's burden in the American context too.

Amazing self own that the artist mocking the native american for holding the book the wrong way, is himself unable to write "ABC" upside down.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

The Separatists were able to capture a few tanks and more light armored vehicles. What allowed them to checkmate Ukranian forces was putting out bait so that the furious Ukranian generals would send tons of unprepared armor into one spot with the idea of rooting out any separatist positions and being invulnerable to anything but rpg teams and mines, and there was heavy bombing from the Ukranian air force to supposedly support this, but it was indiscriminate enough not to matter.

What allowed them to checkmate the Ukrainian forces was the actual Russian army, equipped with tanks, artillery, and air defense systems, invading Ukraine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nessus posted:

It was a big, singular island the Japanese owned (and I gather they had popular support there, if nowhere else) - geographically it looks to be a big open plain perfect for maneuvering right next to a forest-covered mountain range perfect for staging guerrilla warfare. And to top it all off, you'd have to go AROUND the loving thing to get at the good landing spots. It's barely feasible for the PRC to land on Taiwan now and they'd be coming from less than 200 kilometers away.

Woah. Given their colonial record, how'd they swing that

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

It sucks for the Russian Ukranians who were fighting for a free country run by the people for the people, but when your only supporter is a state like Russia, you can't really expect to win with wine and roses. I remember the tears on livejournal. Russians still use livejournal.

This part of the take is questionable at best. Unless we are calling the putinite government of the people for the people.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Nessus posted:

I'm not sure the Japanese had popular support. Yes, Taiwanese fought for Japan, and Taiwan was better off than other Japanese colonies, but how much difference does that make? Furthermore, there were enough Taiwanese nationalists to proclaim a Republic of Formosa in 1895 - it lasted about three months, but still managed to fight the Japanese colonisers - and there were several revolts against the Japanese. The mountains were also inhabited by Indigenous tribes who would probably have been delighted to get revenge for (e.g.) the Musha Incident. Invading Formosa would have been tricky, yes, but for all the other reasons, just not this one.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Like the effective thing about wages of destruction is that it's description of the Nazi war economy and the war in general as just completely desperate insanity and frankly it makes the constant reaching for wunderwaffe make more sense as "one weird trick to win the war, ALLIES HATE IT!"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Japanese colonial policy was schizophrenic and the foreign ministry essentially came to the conclusion that Chinese and Taiwanese, as in indigenous peoples who aren't descended from mainland Chinese transplants, were incompatible with Japanese culture. For that reason, they, and the Pacific Islanders within the empire were given an outsider status. In Korea, the foreign ministry task force came to the conclusion that Korean culture was so close to Japanese culture that the Korean people were prime for assimilation. The Japanese army also ran Korea throughout it's occupation while Taiwan was primarily governed by civilian governors. The Japanese initially embarked on a violent, counter-insurgency of the island of when they took over and effectively crushed most resistance to their rule while creating an infrastructure that increased their ability to control the island effectively.

The economy in Taiwan was also good and situation seemed much better to residents than the alternative of the chaos of China. Even when the Chinese Nationalists were ceded Taiwan, they didn't incorporate Taiwan back into China economically because the local economy wasn't facing the hyperinflation that mainland China was facing due to the war. There were Chinese and Taiwanese nationalists present on the island but the government was very good in censoring, silencing them in the same way they did to detractors on the mainland. While the Taiwanese had an ambivalent opinion of the Japanese, they welcomed the Nationalists initially and this welcome was repaid with the February 28 Incident, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_28_incident, and a campaign of terror that would continue largely until the end of martial law on the island.

One of the last Japanese holdouts, Teruo Nakamura, wasn't even Japanese, he was of Taiwanese Amis descent. While one man doesn't really signify Taiwan's dedication to the Japanese Empire but I would imagine the combo of a benign colonial rule and most likely foreign, American, invaders would have been enough for the Taiwanese people to support a resistance to the American invasion. Not to mention the fact that Taiwan is relatively huge and perfect for a guerilla and mountain fortress resistance.

EDIT:

While I don't think the Japanese were capable of something like the Gothic Line for a number of logistic and doctrinal reasons, I could see it very easily turning into a stalemate if the Japanese commanders didn't decide to just suicide charge until they won. Let's be honest, they're going to send wave after wave of men into the American lines until they "win." These assumptions on taking Taiwan haven't even addressed the amount of garrison troops you'd need. Taiwan in 1940 had a population of 5,872,000. The Philippines just seems even better for that reason alone.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 22, 2020

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

This is the military history thread, there are better threads to discuss modern politics in.

Edit: I made this the thread's official rule. This never ends well so please don't do it.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 22, 2020

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Xakura posted:

Amazing self own that the artist mocking the native american for holding the book the wrong way, is himself unable to write "ABC" upside down.

Proto formation of ACAB - all colonialists are bastards

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
RSO tank destroyer

Queue: Sd.Kfz. 10/4, Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther, Boys and PIAT, Heavy Tank T26E5, History of German diesel engines for tanks, King Tiger trials in the USSR, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, Black Prince, PT-76, M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman, M4A2 Sherman in the Red Army, T-54, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, T-44 production, Soviet HEAT anti-tank grenades, T-34-85M, Myths of Soviet tank building: interbellum tanks, Light Tank M24, German anti-tank rifles, PT-76 modernizations, ISU-122 front line impressions, German additional tank protection (zimmerit, schurzen, track links), Winter and swamp tracks, Paper light tank destroyers, Allied intel on the Maus , Summary of French interbellum tank development, Medium Tank T20, Medium Tank T23, Myths of Soviet tank building, GMC M10, Tiger II predecessors, Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H-J,IS-6, SU-101/SU-102/Uralmash-1, Centurion Mk.I, SU-100 front line impressions, IS-2 front line impressions, Myths of Soviet tank building: early Great Patriotic War, Influence of the T-34 on German tank building, Medium Tank T25, Heavy Tank T26/T26E1/T26E3, Career of Harry Knox, GMC M36, Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm K72 (Sf), Early Early Soviet tank development (MS-1, AN Teplokhod), Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg, AT-1, Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5, Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44, IS-2 post-war modifications, Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War, Medium Tank T6, RPG-1, Lahti L-39

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
T-60 tanks in combat
SU-76M modernizations
Shashmurin's career
ISU-152
Soviet post-war tank building plans
T-100Y and SU-14-1 NEW

:911:
HMC M7 Priest
GMC M12
GMC M40/M43

:godwin:
15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf)
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles
German tanks for 1946

:france:
AMR 35 ZT
Panhard 178B NEW

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think it's also a bit of hindsight, modern Taiwanese are a lot less hostile to Japan than the Chinese mainland is but a large part of that is because Japan isn't directly trying to annex them right now, plus there's a definite nostalgia factor when I see people on Taiwanese twitter talk about it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Don Gato posted:

I think it's also a bit of hindsight, modern Taiwanese are a lot less hostile to Japan than the Chinese mainland is but a large part of that is because Japan isn't directly trying to annex them right now, plus there's a definite nostalgia factor when I see people on Taiwanese twitter talk about it.

Also to add, Japan has a pretty good trade relationship with Taiwan and there isn't really a culture of grievance, and propaganda campaign, against Japan in Taiwan too. Taiwan was annexed "peacefully" over a century ago, 1895, and aside from bombing campaigns from the allies and conscription, Taiwan didn't see much of the war.

There is a sort of cultural tradition around the colonial period in much the same way Americans have about Jim Crow, in that it was a period where Taiwanese were discriminated against and unequal, combined with times of violent oppression. It's far though from say the PRC and Korea, which saw brutal oppression and atrocities at the hands of the Japanese and has had government propaganda campaigns pushing for reparations after previous regimes, Chiang and Mao for China and Park Chung-Hee for Korea, absolved Japan of all responsibility for recognition and massive amounts of developmental aid.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Reading the last chapter of technowar

It's interesting because like the book it has a lot of interesting things to say, inturrupted by things that are...less interesting

Like the book has some in-depth examination of the US Army's response to Vietnam that's sufficiently detailed I'd want to hand it over to some other people here who understand the issues better than I just to hear what they have to say on it. But the chapter starts (and this caught me off guard) with word games, a definite peril of being an academic between 1980 and 2000. After that very good section we get distracted by then contemporary politics, and then we're off on a tangent about the military-industrial complex which...I'm not sure what they'd call it in the mid-80s, nowadays they are takes as hot as my posting here first thing in the morning, minus caffeine:

quote:

This is especially weird as if you were looking at *ahem* industry in America post WW2, you could find lots of salient points. Hell, David Halberstam wrote books on Vietnam then wrote a book on the rise, fall, and riseishness of the American car industry

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey Ensign, are you looking forward to Steven Zaloga's next article "Debunking an Omaha Beach Legend: The Use of Armored 'Funnies' on D-Day"?