Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if Zoe joining training will cause her and Bud to realise they're probably meant to be thematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Zoe is in luck here, I heard that the club just had an opening.
Plot twist: all of this was manipulated just so she could steal Cassisidies spot. It turns out HP would have let her join either way.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Adding Zoe to the club will be interesting, because they're sure to want to know who she groups with, as we know solo running is pretty uncommon and probably especially for someone who is new/uncertain in their powers. Which will likely lead to explaining about Rue - I don't know how common rogue magical girls are, or how they're generally regarded by the official ones?

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Outrageous Apple and Forte Bass are twins. Huh.

E: Also, Bud is totally running cover for HP and Undine in that first panel.

madjack fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 20, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

madjack posted:

Outrageous Apple and Forte Bass are twins. Huh.

E: Also, Bud is totally running cover for HP and Undine in that first panel.

Could be. Could be unrelated gossip too. Doctor Gossip's purview is all encompassing.

Edit: Really loving the detail that Forte Bass is mute and her twin is interpreting sign language for her :3:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 20, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Permalink to the new page.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Guess Bud hasn't totally recovered from last night. And it's good to see her gossip network in action!

I assume this is all happening in five minutes or so while Harley is in the bathroom.

Apple and Bass being twins is cute. :3:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So twins can end up in different thematic teams.

Also it's ironic that the mute twin is in the musical-themed team. Hopefully she's not also deaf.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I think it was said that team outrageous is nonthematic. So only one of them made it on a thematic team

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Is this the first indication we got that other magical girls also saw the bird running around? And that it happens often enough that Bud is inquiring into / suspicious about it?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mikl posted:

Is this the first indication we got that other magical girls also saw the bird running around? And that it happens often enough that Bud is inquiring into / suspicious about it?

Team Outrageous was following it when we first saw them in chapter 9. Which is probably why it was already a topic of note between Apple and Bud.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Doctor Gossip

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Not an MD, though. She delivers too many burns for that. Must be a PhD in Magical Girl-ism.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I guess this is the chapter where everyone gets proactive about figuring out the plot.

e: oh the background girl with the pink and blue hair showed up again!

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 20, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I’m extremely for it

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Cube gave away on the discord ages ago that Apple and Bass were twins, but I never really expected there to be an opportunity for it to show up in canon. Them having identical color schemes but being on different teams is fun.

Bud looking into gossip that's not just related to relationship drama, but also what's actually going on in town, is interesting, and definitely adds to the serious side of Bud we started getting a couple chapters ago. Makes me think a Bud and Rue conversation will eventually be pertinent.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page!

Looks like HP's fan club is still around; the ones that didn't join the training club, that is.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Does any official magical girl training happen at the school, or is it mostly "You guys figure it out, we're just here to provide you education"?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

maltesh posted:

Does any official magical girl training happen at the school, or is it mostly "You guys figure it out, we're just here to provide you education"?

Not that we've seen, they're just left to their own devices for figuring out their powers. The city is really laissez-faire with the magical girls given how much they rely on them. Possibly in the hopes that by giving them enough autonomy they can convince everyone that they aren't children. And possibly not giving them an authority to rebel against; these are teenagers we're talking about.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
To be fair, magical girls seem to instinctively get a full knowledge of how their powers work and how to use them when they get the dream. On the other hand, adults could help out with stuff like tactics and such, so there's really no excuse.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

If they don't get inherent knowledge of how to use their powers Cassidy gets a little more horrifying.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Seeing as Magical Girls age out of the gig if they make it to adulthood, prev generations of MGs could theoretically mentor the current crop. But seeing as we haven't ever seen or heard mention of any doing so, I suspect most end up scraping by like many retired pro wrestlers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Do the magical girls even get paid for their efforts and protecting the city?

What about retirement benefits, healthcare? is there a magical girl Union which negotiates with the city?

These are all important questions!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

What about retirement benefits, healthcare? is there a magical girl Union which negotiates with the city?

It is apparently canon (from Cagle talking on the Discord and such) that magical girls don't get any sort of salary or anything. Any money they make comes from licencing their image - unless they die in action, in which case their family gets a bereavement payout.

The city is some sort of social democracy so healthcare is probably free. Probably their school too?

Trying to imagine forming a union out of teenagers, though. And you thought student politics was bad...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nitrousoxide posted:

They get to study at a school where class doesn't start too early in the morning.

I, too, would have fought monsters for that privilege.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mikl posted:

To be fair, magical girls seem to instinctively get a full knowledge of how their powers work and how to use them when they get the dream. On the other hand, adults could help out with stuff like tactics and such, so there's really no excuse.
I think word of god is that they get an instinctual understanding of what their base power is, and then as they use the magic they kind of learn the details of how they personally express it, like it's an art

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Tenebrais posted:

Trying to imagine forming a union out of teenagers, though. And you thought student politics was bad...
Working Witches of the World, Unite!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

They do also get an explicitly higher-quality education, at least in terms of funding and support, so it’s entirely possible that graduated magical girls have a good set-up to start a mundane career.

Other than all the PTSD. Assuming they survive.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

They do also get an explicitly higher-quality education, at least in terms of funding and support, so it’s entirely possible that graduated magical girls have a good set-up to start a mundane career.
Which really puts a whole new spin on Tessa's decision to transfer back to a normal school.

Fake Edit: I reread the whole comic the other day, and it's impressive how long the illusion of Tessa being the protagonist holds out.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mikl posted:

They get some knowledge, but not all of it apparently. Example: Undine practicing for ages trying to do a high-pressure stream with her original team, but unable to do it until HP was in danger. In the original-team days, she was trying it based on being taught about a real-world machine implementation of it rather than because she knew her power could provide one.

Also, I'm going to guess that adults are mostly out of the picture in this comic more as a storytelling means of allowing additional agency to the children, rather than any actual social structure. Just not bringing them into the story is easier for someone to suspend disbelief than creating a system where they've handed the reins over to the kids. It wouldn't add much to the story, and it'd add more details for readers to decide they didn't like. It's like how no parents or adults ever seem to intervene in your average teen post-apoc/paranormal romance novels. It's easier to all-but-ignore the parental aspects entirely than to write the circumstances that allow a 16-yr-old girl to (e.g) go flotzing about in the woods with a werewolf and a vampire after town curfew on a school night.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Sundae posted:

They get some knowledge, but not all of it apparently. Example: Undine practicing for ages trying to do a high-pressure stream with her original team, but unable to do it until HP was in danger. In the original-team days, she was trying it based on being taught about a real-world machine implementation of it rather than because she knew her power could provide one.

Also, I'm going to guess that adults are mostly out of the picture in this comic more as a storytelling means of allowing additional agency to the children, rather than any actual social structure. Just not bringing them into the story is easier for someone to suspend disbelief than creating a system where they've handed the reins over to the kids. It wouldn't add much to the story, and it'd add more details for readers to decide they didn't like. It's like how no parents or adults ever seem to intervene in your average teen post-apoc/paranormal romance novels. It's easier to all-but-ignore the parental aspects entirely than to write the circumstances that allow a 16-yr-old girl to (e.g) go flotzing about in the woods with a werewolf and a vampire after town curfew on a school night.

Undine was able to do the high-pressure stream because she received Alchemical Aether's power. It's like how HP is more powerful than an average magical girl because she received some of her mother's magic. Still a very good point that there is room for creativity and invention with how people use their powers.

I do disagree with your point about the adults. I mean, they're not out of the picture. We've seen Zoe's mom and dad stressing out about her. We've seen Undine's mom say, "I know it's not my place to interfere in magical girl business." There might be some meta motivation to the world being this way, but I think the society is diagetically constructed with a hands off attitude. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some nefarious root causes to this. I kind of doubt Rue's distrust of the central government is entirely unfounded paranoia.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

Other than all the PTSD. Assuming they survive.

I think that getting any kind of PTSD is actually pretty rare. Most of the stuff that crops up seems to be trash mobs that the magical girls can wipe out without too much difficulty, as seen here where Undline is kind of just casually launching the bacteria thingies and splatting them into a wall. So most nights you just kind of curbstomp your way through most of the trash, which are only dangerous because regular civilians can't fight back against them.

And then, on occasion, you run into a big motherfucker, and then everything goes to poo poo with a capital gently caress and half your friends die.

But things of that magnitude seem to be rare, so severe magical girl injuries and death are fairly uncommon, which is why everyone is so shocked when it finally happens.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Which really puts a whole new spin on Tessa's decision to transfer back to a normal school.

Fake Edit: I reread the whole comic the other day, and it's impressive how long the illusion of Tessa being the protagonist holds out.

I mean, I'd still classify her as a protagonist. She's in a real bad place after the death of so many of her friends (which she blames herself for), and she seems to know that she should support Undine. (It was clearly genuine when she urged Undine to be safe, or at least find a new team. Tessa was only hiding her mood and her self-hatred.) But she can't help the dark doubts and jealous thoughts creeping in, given... everything. There clearly isn't enough of a support system for PTSD in this society. So she's poised to be pressured by goops into doing some really lovely things, but the whole time we'll be rooting for her to overcome all this. I can't blame her for anything, at this point.

The real tragedy in this is that Undine and Tessa are facing similar problems. They both blame themselves for the deaths of Gwen, Sylvia and Sally, but they can't lean on each other to deal with the trauma. The difference is that Undine is finding support elsewhere, while Tessa is becoming further isolated.

MechaCrash posted:

I think that getting any kind of PTSD is actually pretty rare. Most of the stuff that crops up seems to be trash mobs that the magical girls can wipe out without too much difficulty, as seen here where Undline is kind of just casually launching the bacteria thingies and splatting them into a wall. So most nights you just kind of curbstomp your way through most of the trash, which are only dangerous because regular civilians can't fight back against them.

And then, on occasion, you run into a big motherfucker, and then everything goes to poo poo with a capital gently caress and half your friends die.

But things of that magnitude seem to be rare, so severe magical girl injuries and death are fairly uncommon, which is why everyone is so shocked when it finally happens.

The comic's gone out of its way to show that the world at large is moving past the deaths of 3 girls remarkably quickly. Just a few days later and it was already at the "team alchemical memorial SALE!" stage. It seems to me like things like this happen more often than it feels like they do, and it's just "a tragedy" on the news for a short moment, then the people directly affected are left to suffer on their own.

It's really analagous to school shootings, now that I think of it.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 22, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The only real judge we have of how often the girls die in this setting is that Kokoro said it had been "a while" since something as bad as what happened to Team Alchemical happened, and since then everyone knew about it. So three members of the same team getting killed at once is big news and not at all common.

But it's not a surprise - the magical girls are effectively conducting a war, and it's not a shock when soldiers die occasionally, except to people directly affected. We might get a better judge of how frequent deaths are this chapter, since we know there was at least one death last night and with the amount of injuries we're seeing in the background characters there might well have been others.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Wittgen posted:

I kind of doubt Rue's distrust of the central government is entirely unfounded paranoia.

My take is that the government is totally unable to in any way interact with magical girl stuff and has basically decided that their entire job is to maintain public order by never admitting that explicitly. It's still a failure of the adults, but it's not a conspiracy - they don't even know the first thing about how the setting works.

My evidence for this is the apparent constant effort by the government to figure out literally anything about magical girls - the surveys and questionnaires they throw at the girls in the MG school. They probably don't really have any idea how any of this works, and refuse to admit it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

The comic's gone out of its way to show that the world at large is moving past the deaths of 3 girls remarkably quickly. Just a few days later and it was already at the "team alchemical memorial SALE!" stage. It seems to me like things like this happen more often than it feels like they do, and it's just "a tragedy" on the news for a short moment, then the people directly affected are left to suffer on their own.

It's really analagous to school shootings, now that I think of it.

That is incredibly apt and loving bleak.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Undine was able to do the high-pressure stream because she received Alchemical Aether's power. It's like how HP is more powerful than an average magical girl because she received some of her mother's magic. Still a very good point that there is room for creativity and invention with how people use their powers.

Ah yes, I forgot about that aspect! TY for the reminder.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

That is incredibly apt and loving bleak.
Someone please combine :hmmyes: and :smith:.

Ditocoaf posted:

I mean, I'd still classify her as a protagonist. She's in a real bad place after the death of so many of her friends (which she blames herself for), and she seems to know that she should support Undine. (It was clearly genuine when she urged Undine to be safe, or at least find a new team. Tessa was only hiding her mood and her self-hatred.) But she can't help the dark doubts and jealous thoughts creeping in, given... everything. There clearly isn't enough of a support system for PTSD in this society. So she's poised to be pressured by goops into doing some really lovely things, but the whole time we'll be rooting for her to overcome all this. I can't blame her for anything, at this point.

The real tragedy in this is that Undine and Tessa are facing similar problems. They both blame themselves for the deaths of Gwen, Sylvia and Sally, but they can't lean on each other to deal with the trauma. The difference is that Undine is finding support elsewhere, while Tessa is becoming further isolated.
Okay, yes, she's still a protagonist, but everything right up until the moment of the power-transfer frames all of this as being Tessa's Defining Moment. It looks like holding Undine in her arms as she dies is going to be the capstone on her Tragic BackstoryTM. Instead, she refuses to let it be that kind of story. For the first time, Tessa stops seeing herself as the main character and her team as sidekicks. Hell, at the time, she probably thought that saving Undine's life would mean losing her own, since she put all of her power into it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, yes, she's still a protagonist, but everything right up until the moment of the power-transfer frames all of this as being Tessa's Defining Moment. It looks like holding Undine in her arms as she dies is going to be the capstone on her Tragic BackstoryTM. Instead, she refuses to let it be that kind of story. For the first time, Tessa stops seeing herself as the main character and her team as sidekicks. Hell, at the time, she probably thought that saving Undine's life would mean losing her own, since she put all of her power into it.

ohh, I didn't realize you were talking about her looking like the main character the first two chapters. Agreed, that was very well done. I thought you were talking about the building threat of an antagonistic turn in the rest of the comic, like you thought she was already there.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is a very well-made comic.

(Also, I just remembered the existence of Team Blitz. :allears:)