Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kawalimus posted:

I wasn't. I think the President's Trophies should absolutely count for a lot. But sports has become this thing where nobody cares about what you do in the regular season if you don't win the championship even though failing is built into postseasons. It would be a lot easier to look at the Ovechkin era as a huge success if those President's trophies were valued the way they should be but the drama of the Stanley Cup changes things.

Just a few posts earlier someone is like "Well we were in first or second in the division all the time" to weight our success. So if that's a symbol of success why shouldn't the President's Trophies be just as much and even more because it's the whole league? It doesn't make sense and the trophy is unfairly maligned. Especially like others said in the era where teams are a lot closer in quality. So winning multiples of those should mean something.

I mean, if you're going to complain about "We had a bunch of good seasons and one of them finally won us a Cup", can I interest you in trading for "It took my team 9 years to make the playoffs, 14 to win a playoff game, 19 to win a series, and the only time they've made the playoffs in consecutive years is the current four year streak they're on right now"?. The Jackets have only flirted with winning their Division once (2017).

Speaking of:

Flyinglemur posted:

If they're going to fire Reirdon than they should also fire whoever made the decision to not re-sign Trotz.

"We got bounced from the playoffs by the guy we didn't bring back. Let's take it out on the guy we DID hire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So who gets the job? I got no idea who’s available. Not that Leonsis will pay for a veteran.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Cartoon Man posted:

So who gets the job? I got no idea who’s available. Not that Leonsis will pay for a veteran.

Gallant is the presumptive best coach available, but Leonsis doesn’t have a great track record. Trotz is his only hire who wasn’t a first time coach, and Bruce was the only one of the first timers who was worth a poo poo.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The Dirty Burger posted:

After so many years of wet farts in the playoffs the Caps finally got Trotz, who was widely considered to be a great coach and then win the cup that year. Then the owner immediately decides coaching isn’t actually important and lets him walk and goes back to hiring no-namers

It’s becoming blatantly obvious recently that billionaires aren’t billionaires because they’re that much smarter than everyone else

As a reminder though, all through the regular season and even into the playoffs “fire trotz” had become a common refrain among Mind_Taker and Chad Sexington and their sick CAS ilk

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

It’s becoming blatantly obvious recently that billionaires aren’t billionaires because they’re that much smarter than everyone else

Excuse me, I think you mean “job creators.”

Eat the rich

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

FIRE PAUL MAURICE GODDAMMIT

sucks rear end watching these good teams make changes while the Jets wallow in six-year-old garbage

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah I was on the fire Trotz bandwagon too. Things were going south big time that year. Still not sure what turned it around.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Levitate posted:

Not gonna fix the problem of an aging core

can confirm

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:yeshaha:

Actually kind of surprised they made the right decision this quickly.

Levitate posted:

At least they have a nice long off-season to rest :v:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Get hosed Reirden.

Also if Leonsis doesn't open his pocketbook for a real coach gently caress him too.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Levitate posted:

But enough about Leonsis

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Gunjin posted:

Maybe get a coach who’s had some success at the NHL level this time instead of gambling on another first timer.

Mike Babcock redemption story incoming

edit: have there been any situations lately where a coach in waiting situation has worked? It seems like most of the time it has not. I guess we'll see in Toronto though

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 23, 2020

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't really want it to happen but it'd be kind of amusing to see Boudreau come back to DC.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

As a reminder though, all through the regular season and even into the playoffs “fire trotz” had become a common refrain among Mind_Taker and Chad Sexington and their sick CAS ilk

Trotz isn't hockey Jesus. He presided over three playoff bounces. He squandered the talent of players like Nate Schmidt, Brett Connolly and Jakub Vrana, and failed to get poo poo out of Burakovsky. Brooks Orpik was playing 20 minutes a night. People forget how unlikely that Cup run seemed at the time.

Coaches are as much voodoo as goalies. Seemed worth trying out Reirden. He didn't work. Onto the next one.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

Trotz isn't hockey Jesus. He presided over three playoff bounces. He squandered the talent of players like Nate Schmidt, Brett Connolly and Jakub Vrana, and failed to get poo poo out of Burakovsky. Brooks Orpik was playing 20 minutes a night. People forget how unlikely that Cup run seemed at the time.

Coaches are as much voodoo as goalies. Seemed worth trying out Reirden. He didn't work. Onto the next one.

Yeah sometimes it seems easy to “see” a coaches impact and sometimes it is more behind closed doors. It’s a hard thing to predict or understand.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Caps are getting soft since the cup win imo, need Babcock to play mind games and cyberbully them back into contenders

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hire Hakstol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Hire Hakstol

:yeah:

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
It's time for the return of Bruce Boudreau

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Hindsight is 20/20 on the Reirden thing, like I remember everyone here saying he was the heir apparent Caps coach and the team had all sorts of confidence in him, like he was the one who came up with the poo poo they used to go on the cup run etc etc. It's easy to go back and say that letting Trotz(who also had a reputation like the Caps of playoff failure) go was a stupid move but I see what they were thinking then.

Weird to me that goaltending was apparently a strength of the team cause it never really felt like we had that hot goalie to me except holtby in the playoffs but I guess I am probably wrong there.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cartoon Man posted:

Lavi maybe?

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah I was on the fire Trotz bandwagon too. Things were going south big time that year. Still not sure what turned it around.

It was that lap he skated at practice.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Mind_Taker posted:

I don't really want it to happen but it'd be kind of amusing to see Boudreau come back to DC.

Looking forward to the next "fat gently caress" moment

Kawalimus posted:

Weird to me that goaltending was apparently a strength of the team cause it never really felt like we had that hot goalie to me except holtby in the playoffs but I guess I am probably wrong there.

Trotz/Korn seemed to mesh well with Holtby. Holts had three excellent seasons and one Vezina win during Trotz's first three years in DC. Then he, you know, won a Stanley Cup in the fourth year. It was definitely a team strength during his tenure and one could argue Boudreau and Oates failed in large part due to their inability to turn the good goalie prospects the team drafted and developed in the minors into a true 1A goaltender.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

goldrush posted:

It's time for the return of Bruce Boudreau

Have a seat for a second. Look it, I have never seen a bunch of guys look so loving down when something bad happens. What are you guys? Like prima donna perfect that if you can't fuckin' handle adversity? So poo poo's not going right. It's not fucken' working the last ten days. loving get your heads out of your rear end and loving make it work by outworking the opposition. You kill two loving men, and then we stand around and watch while they loving score here. loving yous come to the bench like fuckin' this and when the power play it's not working so you're trying to stick handle, you're looking like this and not standing. Outwork the loving guys! If you want it, don't just think you want it. Go out and loving want it. But you're not looking like you want it, you look like you're feeling sorry for yourself. And nobody loving wants anybody that's feeling sorry for themselves. You got 20 loving minutes. You're down by one loving shot. Surely to gently caress we can deal with this.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Escape Goat posted:

loving yous come to the bench

Gets me every time, rofl

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

goldrush posted:

It's time for the return of Bruce "gently caress" Boudreau

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

Have a seat for a second. Look it, I have never seen a bunch of guys look so loving down when something bad happens. What are you guys? Like prima donna perfect that if you can't fuckin' handle adversity? So poo poo's not going right. It's not fucken' working the last ten days. loving get your heads out of your rear end and loving make it work by outworking the opposition. You kill two loving men, and then we stand around and watch while they loving score here. loving yous come to the bench like fuckin' this and when the power play it's not working so you're trying to stick handle, you're looking like this and not standing. Outwork the loving guys! If you want it, don't just think you want it. Go out and loving want it. But you're not looking like you want it, you look like you're feeling sorry for yourself. And nobody loving wants anybody that's feeling sorry for themselves. You got 20 loving minutes. You're down by one loving shot. Surely to gently caress we can deal with this.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1297595581859336193

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jBXpj8j34s

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Babcock confirmed

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s NBCsports Washington’s list:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/capitals-coaching-candidates-keep-eye-todd-reirden-out

Scott Arniel

Arniel has been a member of Reirden's staff for the past two years in charge of the wingers and penalty kill. He has also been a head coach in the past in a brief stint with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Considering Reirden was an assistant with the Caps before taking over as head coach and the move did not produce great results, I have a hard time believing Arniel would be a realistic option unless the players demand it.

Mike Babcock

Speaking of unrealistic options....

Babcock is perhaps the biggest name out there so he deserves to be mentioned, but I would be stunned if this is a route the Caps wanted to go. Yes, Babcock won a Stanley Cup with Detroit in 2008 and yes he led Team Canada to two Olympic gold medals. He also crashed and burned with a skill-laden team in Toronto and numerous stories came out after he was gone of some of his bizarre coaching methods such as making a rookie Mitch Marner rank teammates from the hardest-working to the least and then sharing that list with the players, scratching Jason Spezza for the home opener and berating Johan Franzen to the point he had a nervous breakdown.

It has been less than a year since Babcock was fired by Toronto and I'm guessing he needs more time to rehab his image before an NHL team takes a chance on him.

Bruce Boudreau

Boy would this be fun.

In terms of regular-season success, you can't get much better than Boudreau who boasts a 567-302-115 record 14 years as an NHL head coach, including five with the Capitals. The Rock the Red Era really began when Boudreau took over for Glen Hanlon in 2007. He would like to remain an NHL head coach and you would think he'd jump at the opportunity to return to Washington. He was the head coach in Hershey before getting promoted. He could be a good candidate both for the present and with an eye toward the future when the team will have to turn to younger players as it transitions out of the Alex Ovechkin championship era.

But the biggest priority, for now, is to win a Cup while the team is still in a position to compete and Boudreau's weakness as a coach has always been in the payoffs. Only once in his 14 years has he been able to lead a team past the second round and he has been at the helm for six one-and-done postseasons.

Dan Bylsma

Bylsma was promoted midseason from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in 2008-09 to the NHL and led Pittsburgh to a Stanley Cup - at the expense of the Caps in the playoffs, of course. Since then, success has remained elusive. He was fired by Pittsburgh in 2014 and named head coach of the Buffalo Sabres in 2015. He was fired after two subpar years and zero playoff appearances there. He has spent the past two seasons as an assistant with the Detroit Red Wings.

Spencer Carbery

As the head coach of the Hershey Bears, Carbery deserves to be mentioned even if he would be a long shot. He has been a head coach at the OHL, ECHL and AHL levels, but has no NHL coaching experience even as an assistant.

Carbery has been with the Bears for only two years but has done an incredible job there and Hershey was poised to make a playoff run in 2020 before the season was canceled due to the coronavirus. He has a commanding presence about him. Each time I have spoken to him, I have walked away impressed.

With only two years of AHL head coaching experience, I am not sure the time is right for Carbery, but he is someone I believe we will see in the NHL sooner rather than later. Would you roll the dice now?

Gerard Gallant

Gallant did a masterful job leading the Vegas Golden Knights to the Stanley Cup Final in the team's first year before the organization said, "what have you done for us lately?" and fired him in his third season this past January. Surprisingly it may have been the right move as harsh as it was. The Golden Knights did get better and are poised at making another run this year. No team looked better in the first round of the playoffs.

Overall, Gallant has a 270-216-4-51 coaching record in nine years as an NHL head coach. He also evidently has a shelf life as he has never lasted anywhere as a head coach for more than three seasons.

Lane Lambert

Lambert was a member of Trotz's staff who followed Trotz to New York. He was a head coach in the AHL for four years before becoming an NHL assistant and has been waiting for his opportunity ever since.

The optics of hiring another former Trotz assistant with no NHL head coaching experience, however, may be a tough look for the franchise. And Lambert might say "thanks, but no thanks" anyway. He will get an opportunity somewhere else.

Peter Laviolette

Laviolette is one of the bigger names on the market with 18 years of NHL head coaching experience, one Stanley Cup (Carolina, 2006) and two more conference titles (Philadelphia, 2010 and Nashville, 2017) to his name. As a big name, he would also come with a big price tag.

I know Caps fans won't want to hear this, but it is worth mentioning that price will be a factor considering they still have to pay Reirden for the length of his contract and because we are in a pandemic and everyone is feeling the financial squeeze including Monumental Sports.

Sergei Gonchar, Jacques Martin, Mark Recchi

All three of these coaches were assistants with the Pittsburgh Penguins until they were all fired in August after Pittsburgh was upset by the Montreal Canadiens in the qualifying round. I lumped them all together because, though they are available, I view all three as assistants more than viable head coaching options.

Gonchar is the big name for Caps fans as he spent the bulk of his playing career in Washington. The issue with him is he does not have much experience. He was a developmental coach for two years and an assistant coach for three all with the Penguins. Hiring a former Caps player with no NHL head coaching experience is something this team has tried before with Adam Oates and...well, let's just say the team would be wise not to go down that route again. I could see Gonchar being a possibility as an assistant coach to work with the defense though.

Like Gonchar, Recchi also has no head-coaching experience. He was a senior advisor for two years in Dallas before becoming a development coach for Pittsburgh in 2014 and then an assistant coach in 2017.

Martin is a different story as he has been coaching since 1983, has over 1,200 games of NHL head coaching experience with Florida, Montreal (we won't mention the 2010 playoff series vs. the Caps, oops, we did), Ottawa and St. Louis and won the Jack Adams Award for coach of the year in 1998-99. Last time he was a head coach was back in the 2011-12 season, however, and it's not like there have not been any job openings since then. I think his niche in the NHL is as an assistant and would be surprised if he gets any real traction for the Caps' job.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Y'all are forgetting that Mike Millbury is an experienced coach soon to be looking for work

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Has anyone pointed out Don Cherry is currently unemployed?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Has anyone pointed out Don Cherry is currently unemployed?

don cherry is earning some of that sweet, sweet podcast monies

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Ah yes I’d love the clutch n grab Babcock capitals even more than I like them now slight pause I hate them now and 4 ever

Bregor
May 31, 2013

lol at Disco Dan. That’d be... something.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Aye Doc posted:

don cherry is earning some of that sweet, sweet podcast monies

I would like to hear him plug Audible or one of those mattresses that come stuffed in a box.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Here have the worst Steamed Hams meme ever:

https://youtu.be/VjvHeoytbaY

I had to watch it and now you do too

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Greetings, fellow teenagers. How about those Simpsons short video "memes"? I think you'll find this one pretty "dope".

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Greetings, fellow teenagers. How about those Simpsons short video "memes"? I think you'll find this one pretty "dope".

They're good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Here have the worst Steamed Hams meme ever:

https://youtu.be/VjvHeoytbaY

I had to watch it and now you do too

i don't know why people like pissing plant