Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

I was mostly just curious about how well it cools, how loud it is, ease of installation, that sort of thing. Are you using the Auto or PWM control?

I wouldn't be looking to expand on it, just use it as-is.

e: My basic idea is to fit the Meshify C with 2x140mm intake fans and mount the radiator on top exhausting air out of the case.

Installing any AIO is very easy - it's just screws going into holes for the radiator part, and attaching the pump block onto the CPU is more of the same.

Don't have any hard numbers unfortunately for cooling performance, but this review is pretty good. When I had it cooling my Intel 4790k I couldn't hear it with my headphones on while gaming, PWM control. Currently have it cooling my storage server because I couldn't find anything else to use, can't hear it over the 6 HDDs.

Strongly consider looking into 280mm AIOs for the Meshify C. With bigger radiators (36% more surface area) and fans, it'll be both cooler and quieter than 240mm AIOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Devils Affricate posted:

Does a good wireless mouse exist?

I've been using a Logitech G903 for a bit over a year now, and it's honestly the worst piece of hardware I've ever owned. I bought it after seeing it appear at the top of multiple "best gaming mice" reviews and listicles, but I can only assume most of these positive reviews were written after only using this thing for a brief period of time. The specs and features are great, sure, but over time it's become rife with defects to the point of being unusable. There are currently 3 distinct ways this mouse doesn't operate properly.

1.) The infamous "double click" issue. Apparently this is very common with this model. Normal mouse clicks will occasionally register as double clicks. I think this issue started appearing after about 4 or 5 months of ownership. Honestly not a *huge* problem in most games and browsing situations, but still distracting when it happens, and for a mouse that costs over $100, this is unacceptable. I haven't experienced this problem even with $5 mice from Walmart.

2.) Double scrolling. Sometimes each "tick" of the scroll wheel scrolls exactly as far as I have decided it should in my OS's settings. Sometimes it scrolls double that. What determines this? The Logitech G903's current mood, apparently. It goes through 5 - 10 minute shifts of being in normal and double scrolling mode. This has an admittedly minor functional impact on games and other tasks, but it's the kind of thing that slowly erodes one's sanity.

3.) Click dropping (I made this term up, not sure what it's officially called). This is the most recent issue to surface, and by far the worst. When I try to click and hold (for example to drag a file, or an inventory item in a game), the mouse will "let go" of the held click at a random point after the click was initiated. It usually drops after less than a second, but sometimes it goes for a few seconds. SOMETIMES it doesn't drop the click at all (about 1/10th of the time). I cannot overstate how much this poo poo drives me absolutely crazy. I've lost multiple Hearthstone matches because of this (I know). I'm normally not the type to rage and throw poo poo at the wall, but this loving mouse has brought me closer to that than I've ever been.

This is not a tech support post. I've looked up troubleshooting stories for these issues and the vast majority of what I found was basically "there's nothing you can do, it's just faulty/cheap parts, you can *maybe* convince Logitech to RMA it but there's a good chance the new one will have all the same problems." I'm resigned to the fact that this thing is a piece of poo poo and my money is wasted. What I want to know is what can I buy to replace it?

My first thought was Razer. I never really liked their 1337 g4m3r style, but I figured the hardware is probably decent enough. However, looking through Amazon reviews, apparently they force a bunch of lovely bloated software on the user (requires a user account, bugs you about updates, has to start with system startup or poo poo doesn't work, etc), which is something I'd really like to avoid. Aside from that, it looks like my options are basically Microsoft, Amazon Basics, and cheap Chinese brands.

I really like my Microsoft Precision Mouse. I tried a few Logitech mice and had to return them because the buttons wouldn't click correctly or something weird. Very disappointing, as I've been using Logitech stuff for decades. The Microsoft seems to be nice and well built and I've had it more than a year. It is quite expensive though ($100). I got it on discount so dunno if it's worth it, but, given all the headache I had, it seems good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m kinda chuckling to my self how it’s 2020 and wireless mice still have issues.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
when I plug in an xbox controller to the top front USB ports of this case https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-meshify-c-white-tg-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352087

the controller stops working. but when I plug in a keyboard it's fine. anyone know why this would be?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MarcusSA posted:

I’m kinda chuckling to my self how it’s 2020 and wireless mice still have issues.

In my experience with the Logitechs of the past few years, the wireless itself is fine. It's the buttons that are bad. Really weird.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Also, enormous security holes. Logitech especially has been terrible about this.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

We have hundreds of the Logitech M510s at work, I haven't heard any complaints about them. And I use a G305 at home and it's worked great. I used to have problems with the click mechanism, but some time ago Logitech switched to a different click thing and since then they've been ok for me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

phosdex posted:

We have hundreds of the Logitech M510s at work, I haven't heard any complaints about them. And I use a G305 at home and it's worked great. I used to have problems with the click mechanism, but some time ago Logitech switched to a different click thing and since then they've been ok for me.

M510 was what I was trying to replace (I think the wheel click was just soft, nothing catastrophic, it was a few years old), and I got something very similar (something with thumb buttons) first from Office Depot and then Costco and they both had click problems. Very weird. I don't believe in anecdotes as data but that other poster had problems too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: they still have the m510 on office depot.com for $20 and it's 5 stars. I guess I just had poo poo luck?

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 20, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

phosdex posted:

Well, at least hackers will have an easy time with the company you work for.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Well, at least hackers will have an easy time with the company you work for.

post links

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

phosdex posted:

post links

This was posted in the mice thread a while back: https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Logitech-keyboards-and-mice-vulnerable-to-extensive-cyber-attacks-4464533.html

Unless all those receivers were updated (and even then, they're still horrifically insecure), they're all easily attacked.

Logitech's Unifying receivers are all terrible.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Charles posted:

M510 was what I was trying to replace (I think the wheel click was just soft, nothing catastrophic, it was a few years old), and I got something very similar (something with thumb buttons) first from Office Depot and then Costco and they both had click problems. Very weird. I don't believe in anecdotes as data but that other poster had problems too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: they still have the m510 on office depot.com for $20 and it's 5 stars. I guess I just had poo poo luck?

Different models, but I’ve had problems with wheel clicks on multiple Logitech mice too. Though usually they’re too hard not soft.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

This was posted in the mice thread a while back: https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Logitech-keyboards-and-mice-vulnerable-to-extensive-cyber-attacks-4464533.html

Unless all those receivers were updated (and even then, they're still horrifically insecure), they're all easily attacked.

Logitech's Unifying receivers are all terrible.

quote:

Among the security issues which the manufacturer does not plan to address are two discovered by Mengs. The security vulnerability CVE-2019-13053 allows an attacker to inject any chosen keyboard input into the encrypted radio traffic without knowing the cryptographic key used. To achieve this, the attacker only needs temporary access to the keyboard in order to press a few keys.

lol ok, so if the attacker just has simple access to my keyboard then he can ... remotely use my keyboard (within 10 meters)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

lol ok, so if the attacker just has simple access to my keyboard then he can ... remotely use my keyboard (within 10 meters)

That seems to be one of the security issues they're not addressing, though. Not all of them. And really doesn't make their encryption seem reliable in any way.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Due to how radio recievers work, shouldn't the attack range be limited by the size of the attackers antenna, assuming they're okay with just sending one way commands?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lambert posted:

That seems to be one of the security issues they're not addressing, though. Not all of them. And really doesn't make their encryption seem reliable in any way.

I singled that out because the other issues have already been patched.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

TheParadigm posted:

Due to how radio recievers work, shouldn't the attack range be limited by the size of the attackers antenna, assuming they're okay with just sending one way commands?

Antenna gain is not linearly related to size. You can build an antenna which has more power in one direction (like a Yagi-Uda, parabolic or wave guide), or use a stronger transmitter, to increase the range. But the wavelength has to be matched (more or less) with the antenna size, and at these microwave frequencies, there's limited benefit from having an antenna much bigger than a cell phone. Structures like walls help dampen these microwave signals, and since these particular frequencies are pretty free-for-all to use, there is a lot of interference from other devices. Even poorly shielded USB 3 hard drive enclosures tend to radiate in the same frequencies that these receivers use.

Vir fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 21, 2020

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

So my liquid cooler seems to have poo poo the bed. It's part of a prebuilt system (I know, I know) thats 3.5 years old. It's used for gaming, no rendering or anything else going on.

I'm debating just sticking a beefy heatsink on the fucker so I don't have to deal with the liquid cooling poo poo and through the little research I've done it seems like there's little to no benefits either way. Am I a dum dum for going from liquid cooled to a heatsink? I've never dealt with replacing the cooling system before but it seems pretty straightforward.

And is something like this overkill?

https://www.amazon.com/quiet-Dark-R...ps%2C180&sr=8-9

I currently have a small desk fan blowing inside the case and I'm sitting at 60*c at idle. Seems ok for now as long as I don't try to play a game or anything too intensive.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Critical posted:

So my liquid cooler seems to have poo poo the bed. It's part of a prebuilt system (I know, I know) thats 3.5 years old. It's used for gaming, no rendering or anything else going on.

I'm debating just sticking a beefy heatsink on the fucker so I don't have to deal with the liquid cooling poo poo and through the little research I've done it seems like there's little to no benefits either way. Am I a dum dum for going from liquid cooled to a heatsink? I've never dealt with replacing the cooling system before but it seems pretty straightforward.

I currently have a small desk fan blowing inside the case and I'm sitting at 60*c at idle. Seems ok for now as long as I don't try to play a game or anything too intensive.

Good air cooling is fantastic. I had the beefier version of that cooler (Dark Rock Pro 4) and it was amazing

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Critical posted:

What is the processor you're cooling? Are you going to overclock it?

My guess is you could be fine with a cheaper heatsink, but those big single towers with a >120mm fan usually work great and run very quiet. I got a similar (but smaller, only 120mm fan) heatsink for an i5-6600k and wish I'd gone bigger.

I'd look at the NH-U14S in that price range too. Unless you care about looks, in which case don't. :haw:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 21, 2020

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My motherboard (ASUS x570 ITX) allows me to select between the CPU and the motherboard sensor to use for the PWM controlled case fans. Which one should I choose? The temperature reported by the motherboard sensor is a good the deal lower than the one reported by the CPU sensor.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I have them all bound to the CPU, but use a very flat curve (where they rotate at a constant speed most of the time) and significant hysteresis.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Critical posted:

Prebuilts tend to have AIOs because they're safer/easier to transport than trying to secure a big hunk of metal hanging off the motherboard (that they're stylistically cooler/slicker and thus a premium can be charged for them might also have something to do with it).

AIOs are also useful when working under specific space restrictions (i.e. small cases, or even large cases with lots of stuff inside).

Outside of both of those use-cases, air cooling is perfectly fine. If anything, an air cooler has fewer points of failure: the fan might die, but the big hunk of metal is always going to be a big hunk of metal. Contrast this to an AIO's pump failing, or the radiator fans failing, or something happening with the tubing or the liquid.

That Dark Rock cooler you linked is probably good enough to cool whatever you throw at it, including something you're overclocking - the main consideration would be the space in your case and cost - a bigger/more powerful cooler is always going to be quieter, but "overspeccing" is also more expensive.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I ended up getting a noctua u9s. Slightly cheaper but reviews were good with a slightly smaller form factor.

I don't overclock. I have poo poo eyesight so 1080p is more than enough at the moment. If for some reason this doesn't work I won't be too bummed. It'll be an opportunity to build my first system. I'd just rather not spend the money while unemcovidployed.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Prebuilts tend to have AIOs because they're safer/easier to transport than trying to secure a big hunk of metal hanging off the motherboard (that they're stylistically cooler/slicker and thus a premium can be charged for them might also have something to do with it).

AIOs are also useful when working under specific space restrictions (i.e. small cases, or even large cases with lots of stuff inside).

Outside of both of those use-cases, air cooling is perfectly fine. If anything, an air cooler has fewer points of failure: the fan might die, but the big hunk of metal is always going to be a big hunk of metal. Contrast this to an AIO's pump failing, or the radiator fans failing, or something happening with the tubing or the liquid.

That Dark Rock cooler you linked is probably good enough to cool whatever you throw at it, including something you're overclocking - the main consideration would be the space in your case and cost - a bigger/more powerful cooler is always going to be quieter, but "overspeccing" is also more expensive.

Can this be put into the OP and the OP of the pc part picking thread?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
The last PC I built from the ground up was from before the RGB craze, so I'm not familiar with how the RGB components work.

I know modern motherboards have RGB connectors. Apparently there's at least 3 pin and 4 pin, maybe also 5 pin? Does the difference amount to anything other than some RGB devices have dedicated while LEDs and some simply max Red Green Blue to simulate it?

Also, if a motherboard has 2 3-pin RGB connectors and a case has more than 2 RGB devices, is it simply a matter of using splitters on the connectors? Seems like a rat's nest waiting to happen.

How's things on the software side? Does every motherboard demand you use their own proprietary software to control RGB components, or is the signaling open enough that you can use software of your choice?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

New cooler is in, holding stead at 30c. Should have seen the piece of poo poo mount the AIO used. I'm surprised it broke before it just fell off the board.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to take a pc without bluetooth and through 3.5mm connect a bluetooth headset.
I want the microphone on the headset to still work for voice chat.

I cant seem to find a bluetooth transmitter that will let me do that. They all work fine at transmitting the 3.5mm audio out to the headset, but none of the ones I found support voice coming in.

The reason I dont connect with a USB bluetooth transmitter is that Overwatch specifically doesnt play nice with bluetooth headsets and voice chat. Its a known issue and they have no plans on fixing it. It does work fine with a headset plugged into the 3.5mm, so transmitting that 3.5mm as bluetooth should give me the wireless solution I want.

Does the bluetooth transmitter/receiver im describing exist?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 24, 2020

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Does the bluetooth transmitter/receiver im describing exist?
Yes, something like that exists, like the Sena SR10 BT two-way radio adapter. It lets you use Bluetooth headsets with radios that only have analog microphone and speaker connections. It's made for motorcycle radio, and I think it only gives you mono audio, but there might be variants which support stereo audio. If not, you might need to get two switchable transmitter/receiver devices and hope you can connect both to the same headset.

Vir fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 24, 2020

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is anyone familiar with the new Ubiquiti NanoHD APs? Specifically, I need to know if they come with the rubber dust grommet to protect the ethernet ports.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

kiwid posted:

Is anyone familiar with the new Ubiquiti NanoHD APs? Specifically, I need to know if they come with the rubber dust grommet to protect the ethernet ports.

I’m not sure on the nanoHDs specifically, but I don’t recall Ubiquiti ever shipping rubber dust grommets for RJ45 jacks, the only ones I’ve ever seen are for unused SFP ports.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

smax posted:

I’m not sure on the nanoHDs specifically, but I don’t recall Ubiquiti ever shipping rubber dust grommets for RJ45 jacks, the only ones I’ve ever seen are for unused SFP ports.

I think the UAP-Pro used to.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kiwid posted:

Check in this thread too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vir posted:

Yes, something like that exists, like the Sena SR10 BT two-way radio adapter. It lets you use Bluetooth headsets with radios that only have analog microphone and speaker connections. It's made for motorcycle radio, and I think it only gives you mono audio, but there might be variants which support stereo audio. If not, you might need to get two switchable transmitter/receiver devices and hope you can connect both to the same headset.

thanks, that sounds like a terrible option. I may have to suck it up and just use the headset in wired mode specifically when playing certain games,

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fauxtool posted:

The reason I dont connect with a USB bluetooth transmitter is that Overwatch specifically doesnt play nice with bluetooth headsets and voice chat. Its a known issue and they have no plans on fixing it. It does work fine with a headset plugged into the 3.5mm, so transmitting that 3.5mm as bluetooth should give me the wireless solution I want.

I have to disable the headset profile to play Flight Simulator, too, or I get nothing at all. Really annoying.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just bought a new house and I'm getting it wired for cat 6... So naturally I'm geeking about new a new hardware/home server setup.

I currently run an itx i3 server running unraid/Plex and a bunch of docker containers. I only really stream content inside my network. It has a bunch of local storage and runs hotish but does the job.

For my new server setup, I wanted to get a rack setup, still low profile and hopefully low power it
And/or power efficient. I'm also going to run some home automation stuff on it. I'm eyeing either two approaches...

1. NUCs on a rack shelf running k8s or similar with a NAS like Synology or similar
2. Low profile supermicro or similar with a NAS

#2 gets to IPMI and I'd probably run Proxmox or similar

Just curious what the goonsensus would be on approaches here.

If there is a better thread to post this in please let me know! I know this isn't exactly short

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Supermicro server? Is noise an concern, or is it OK if it sounds like a helicopter taking off?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Quieter would be better, but I'll take a look at those.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gyshall posted:

If there is a better thread to post this in please let me know! I know this isn't exactly short
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there anything I should be concerned about when shopping for a roughly $120-$180 dollar x570 AMD mobo? Any brands/BIOS with any build issues at that level I should watch out for?