Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Picnic Princess posted:

With the poo poo I've gone through I can 100% believe it. If I told my whole story people would probably say it's too outrageous to be believable too.

Same. I’m still reading that thread (I’m not just reading OP’s posts, I’m literally reading the entire thing, reactions and all) and as shocking as what she’s saying is, having firsthand experience in living with familial crazy tells me all I need to know about the veracity of what she’s saying about Chad, Josh, Carrie and Dolores. My mother is basically a make-up brush away from being Dolores, so her outburst at the engagement party is not entirely out of left field as far as it genuinely happening, but people saying it’s made up because nobody said anything to stop her is what really loving annoys me.

Bystander Effect is real, god loving damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I remember reading the Josh saga in real time when it was posted. It's wild from start to finish.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Eshettar posted:

I'll just go ahead and leave this here. Seems like an appropriate place for it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3524111

Why is that thread so resistant to bookmarking? I bookmarked it a while back so I could always find it, and I just realized it’s not in my bookmarks. I checked, and it was bookmarked, even though it doesn’t show up in my bookmarks. I un-bookmarked it and re-bookmarked it, but it still doesn’t show up.

I am using the Awful app, currently on iOS. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Why is that thread so resistant to bookmarking? I bookmarked it a while back so I could always find it, and I just realized it’s not in my bookmarks. I checked, and it was bookmarked, even though it doesn’t show up in my bookmarks. I un-bookmarked it and re-bookmarked it, but it still doesn’t show up.

I am using the Awful app, currently on iOS. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Maybe cause it's in the goldmine?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Yeah, unless you bookmarked the thread while it was ongoing, you can't bookmark stuff that fell into archives or the goldmine.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
oh boy

quote:

My son is in Portland, Oregon and he is alone, no friends and no support over there. Sometimes he calls me every day to talk for hours and other times I don’t hear from him for days. Sometimes he’s positive and seems fine and other times he calls me for a chat because he’s very depressed. I listen for hours.

He complains that he’s being bullied by his neighbours and that they are all very loud and inconsiderate. The neighbours have also complained about his music. He’s waiting for his naturalisation which is happening in October. We don’t know why he wants it to be honest as he has no job over there. He is a very talented musician and was in the process of setting up an online teaching business and it looked like he was doing okay. His intentions were to finish the naturalisation and move back to London to be near his father and I and we were willing to assist financially as we want him back and have been very worried about him and his mental health, especially during the lockdown as he’s been totally isolated. He’s now 40 and I think he realises that he has to get his skates on to succeed.

This Saturday he called me and seemed quite down. I talked to him for about 20 minutes. I was tired and didn’t feel like talking over the same old things again and again for hours and hours.

I had an early night but woke up a couple of hours later to let my dog out and then I saw his message saying “I have decided to take my own life today. I had tried to talk with you but I got put on speaker and placed on a shelf and told I was mental. I hope you enjoy the rest of your life.”

I did put him on speaker because I know he wants to talk for hours and I can’t hold the phone to my ear for hours at a time. I didn’t tell him he was mental at all. I told him that I thought a holiday or a break away for a day or so would do him good as I was worried about his mental health.

I was totally beside myself as I don’t know anyone in that city, don’t know the neighbours and he has no girlfriends or friends. So I called the police and they were very helpful and kind. They sent two officers over to check up on him.

Later he called me crying, saying that they were really nice to him. I spoke to him for about 3 hours after that. He said he was looking at ways to kill himself and couldn’t decide which was the best and easiest way. He was telling me about all the methods available. It was awful. I managed to calm him down and I felt that he was going to be okay, so I reassured him he could call me any time and hung up. He didn’t call me and didn’t answer the phone when I tried to call him many times.

I then got a missed call in the middle of the night which I responded to immediately but no answer. I also got a message saying “Goodbye Mum, love Nicholas x” and since then have not been able to reach him. His father also got a message saying “Do not call me again”.

Once again I called the police and they said they’d go and check up on him and let me know. That was about 7 hours ago and I haven’t heard from them yet. I’m really suffering and don’t know what else to do. I’m going to call the apartment managers to see if they have a pass key and can go and check on him. What else can I do?

I’m not sure I’m permitted to travel to the US due to the Covid19 and even if I could get a visa, I’d have to quarantine when I arrived for 14 days and I couldn’t do that under the circumstances.

quote:

I cannot thank you all enough for your words and support.

I woke up at 4am to another message. It wasn’t pleasant but at least I know he’s still alive and now I feel that his suicide threat was just another way of manipulating me. I am still convinced he’s on drugs and alcohol and has binges but his father typically has his head in the sand. His father’s answer to the problem is to switch off his phone. He says that our son is 40 and he can do whatever he likes – so there’s no support for me from that direction. He has paid our son’s rent for the past 16 months and will probably continue to do so, which isn’t helping and it makes me quite cross because he’s never listened to me.

The message I received in the night was:

“Don’t call the cops again”.

Then he sent me a link to a horrible video.

The Henry Rollins Tape (never heard of him before)

He then went on to say “I mean nothing to you other than what you may gain. This pandemic has shown that I am nothing to you. Goodbye.”

What a strange thing to say? The only thing I hope to gain is a peaceful life and a happy son! The video is about someone who came from poverty and had to fight, had no help from parents and had nobody to lean on. That’s the opposite of his journey yet I think he believes this about his own life.

I can’t do anything to help him whilst he’s like this. Whatever I do, call the cops, the management of the apartment, British Consul, he will hold it against me and it will make the situation worse.

I think I have to stay calm and ride the storm and hope that it will pass. I do believe he needs help for mental health issues but I also think he has an addiction that’s at the root of it and until he asks for help, everything I try will be met with anger. He is extremely manipulative. He manages to get money out of me every time and I fall for it. I kick myself afterwards.

I hope I’m right.

And a little extra:

quote:

Listen to me. Go get your son out of Portland Oregon. That hellhole is on fire with violence and hate. If you don’t believe me watch youtube videos on rioting in Portland happening right this very minute. Leap through flames if you have to, but you will never forgive yourself if you don’t rescue him by any means possible.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pogonodon posted:

I see we had the same father.
Who the gently caress taught them this was okay? Almost every single woman I know has a similar story of her parents sitting her down one day and telling her "We kept you to be our nursemaid when we are old. You will do it or else you will be a Bad Daughter." Shockingly enough, most of them severed the instant they had anything approaching outside stability.

Their own parents and grandparents. Having one old maid daughter who would take care of you in old age was the ideal family arrangement for a long time, and people still cling to it, especially if they didn't do anything to build a supportive family group that could be relied on to take that burden without being forced. It's a component of the objection to women's liberation; your daughter can make her own social connections outside your control, gain finical independence from you through marriage or employment, and then you don't have a helpmeet anymore.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

there wolf posted:

Their own parents and grandparents. Having one old maid daughter who would take care of you in old age was the ideal family arrangement for a long time, and people still cling to it, especially if they didn't do anything to build a supportive family group that could be relied on to take that burden without being forced. It's a component of the objection to women's liberation; your daughter can make her own social connections outside your control, gain finical independence from you through marriage or employment, and then you don't have a helpmeet anymore.

I mentioned this arrangement to a male friend of mine a couple years ago and he burst out laughing, until I explained how disgustingly commonplace it (still) is for families to have one so-called ‘gently caress up’ child that is essentially discouraged from achieving anything in their life, told their friends don’t care about them, assured that nobody really likes them or wants to be in a relationship with them, and that their darling doting parents are the only people they can truly trust, so they might as well spend every waking minute with them until the expire on a shitstained gurney and the child has nothing to live for anymore.

e: it's usually a woman

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 24, 2020

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Does anyone else's boomer chud parents complain about everyone being too political while in literally the next breath saying that people shouldn't be so negative and rude about"are prezzident".

Wouldn't be so mad but my mum didn't like dubya and would gladly forward the milquetoast jokes about him that were popular at the time.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there wolf posted:

What happened to the old maid daughters when they got old?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

LyonsLions posted:

Nothing. They have no social lives to speak of, nothing career-wise since they’d have likely devoted any and all time to caring for their elderly parents, no spouses since that was frowned upon by said parents. The parents ensured that that child’s life was going nowhere before they became unable to care for themselves, they certainly wouldn’t care what happened to their precious child after they’d died.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

LyonsLions posted:

"gently caress 'em" is the agreed upon nomenclature
I believe.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
From the "Is my child only visiting me out of duty" poster:

quote:

I read a Dear Abby article the other day that got my attention. I’d like to share it here. A mother had written in saying that she was hurt that her daughter had not offered to allow her to stay in the daughters home during a family event being held at a location near where the daughter lived. The mother was traveling to the event and had to stay in a hotel. Apparently the daughter did not offer an invite to stay nor did she give any reason why. The mother thought it was odd and.

Dear Abby’s reply was, simply, that the reason must have been that the home was not suitable for guests at the time and for the mother to accept it and move on.

I would have been hurt and think Dear Abby’s response was flippant.

I’m also thinking about using that excuse should my EC decide they must pay me a obligatory visit during the upcoming holidays. I cringe to write this. This is not my normal way of thinking. How I would prefer a loving family get-together.
It's astonishing how terrified these parents are of actually interacting with their ECs. It's like the adult children have departed from the script assigned to them and therefore they're now like out-of-control robots who could destroy you at any moment.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

trickybiscuits posted:

From the "Is my child only visiting me out of duty" poster:

It's astonishing how terrified these parents are of actually interacting with their ECs. It's like the adult children have departed from the script assigned to them and therefore they're now like out-of-control robots who could destroy you at any moment.

I think it's less that they are scared of the "Hey daughter, I'm coming to (place near your house). Would it be OK if I stayed at your house for the weekend?" conversation. Even though that's what normal people do.

It's more that they expect "Mother dearest, I know that you are coming to (place near my house), even though you didn't tell me. I know this because I love and care for you SO much that I obsessively memorize your schedule. Anyway, it would be an honour and a privilege for me to host you in our house. Yeah, you'll be staying in what is usually our toddlers room. But don't worry, she will be staying out of your way in a closet for the duration of your stay. And I will do my best to make sure that my husband with chronic Asthma won't bother you with his incessant, rude and disrespectful coughing. Please bless us with your presence as long as you deem fit."

And anything less is an insult. And an insult they can weaponize to either whinge on the internet/to their friends for Estrangement-Cred, or to hold against said son or daughter.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Being assigned obligation like that is some purestrain bullshit and I moved out of my mom's house to live off social programs rather than handle it anymore.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Obligtory relationships don't fuckin work out, ever, trust me.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

LyonsLions posted:

Expected to move into one of their nieces or nephews house to care for their children, do mending and generally be a servant until they're so elderly and ill that the family can bask in others admiration for their charitable behaviour as old maid dies quietly in a back bedroom.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think it's less that they are scared of the "Hey daughter, I'm coming to (place near your house). Would it be OK if I stayed at your house for the weekend?" conversation. Even though that's what normal people do.

It's more that they expect "Mother dearest, I know that you are coming to (place near my house), even though you didn't tell me. I know this because I love and care for you SO much that I obsessively memorize your schedule. Anyway, it would be an honour and a privilege for me to host you in our house. Yeah, you'll be staying in what is usually our toddlers room. But don't worry, she will be staying out of your way in a closet for the duration of your stay. And I will do my best to make sure that my husband with chronic Asthma won't bother you with his incessant, rude and disrespectful coughing. Please bless us with your presence as long as you deem fit."

And anything less is an insult. And an insult they can weaponize to either whinge on the internet/to their friends for Estrangement-Cred, or to hold against said son or daughter.

It absolutely is a double standard, and a refusal to see or respect their children as grown adults with their own lives and responsibilities. The mere act of having to *ask* to stay over is beneath them, because they *shouldn't have to* obviously! Communicating with you as an adult leads to a breakdown in their authority as "The Parent" and no longer being able to just put your foot down and get your way.

Also see how many of those same parents loved shouting things like "MY HOUSE MY RULES!" and "When you get your OWN place then YOU get to decide what to do!" to prevent you from doing anything they disagreed with, whether it made any sense or not.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Also see how many of those same parents loved shouting things like "MY HOUSE MY RULES!" and "When you get your OWN place then YOU get to decide what to do!" to prevent you from doing anything they disagreed with, whether it made any sense or not.

And boy howdy has regularly shouting that last part come back to bite them on the rear end.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

no single label describes the difference between a good and bad parent. a lot of people, probably the default human state, is to have vastly different spheres of thought for the Personal and the Political.

Yesterday's Koalas March reveal maybe works as an object lesson that a person with sincere liberal beliefs can still be a danger. I feel pretty bad for her. Maybe she'll have the good fortune of serious personal growth before she starts a family, but maybe not, in which case woe to her future children.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

indiscriminately posted:

Yesterday's Koalas March reveal maybe works as an object lesson that a person with sincere liberal beliefs can still be a danger. I feel pretty bad for her. Maybe she'll have the good fortune of serious personal growth before she starts a family, but maybe not, in which case woe to her future children.

They are not sincere beliefs if you go out of your way to steal money from other people of color to buy a new laptop. That's whatever the opposite of sincere is.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

What happened with KM??? I remember Bird posting a bit about it but??

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

PetraCore posted:

I don't know where you're caught up to in the ongoing drama, but if you've read KMs post in TMR (negrotown thread) and Bird's posts in the PYF sagas thread (page 285) then go ahead and skip to page 302 of the sagas thread for the most quintessentially SA revelation imaginable.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

PetraCore posted:

small ghost posted:

I don't know where you're caught up to in the ongoing drama, but if you've read KMs post in TMR (negrotown thread) and Bird's posts in the PYF sagas thread (page 285) then go ahead and skip to page 302 of the sagas thread for the most quintessentially SA revelation imaginable.

It's a good time.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, I’m going to nip this in the bud right here about KM. I have little to negative desire to import going’s on elsewhere here - y’all can find the threads and follow them respectively.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

teen witch posted:

Yeah, I’m going to nip this in the bud right here about KM. I have little to negative desire to import going’s on elsewhere here - y’all can find the threads and follow them respectively.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

Obligtory relationships don't fuckin work out, ever, trust me.

After this week, can confirm.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/iga93z/aita_for_refusing_to_buy_my_estranged_daughter_a/

AITA for refusing to buy my estranged daughter a car for going to college. posted:

Let me keep this short. My ex wife and I divorced 9 years ago , my daughter was only 11 at the time. We had signed a pre- nup before getting married. She used to work for her and I used to work in their family's company when we met , so most of the assets belonged to her and was making a better income than me . She later left me for her highschool crush who also came from a wealthy family.she however got the primary custody of the child. And then cut all contacts with my daughter. I was fired from her dad's company. Then she put a restraining order against me . And threatened to sue me if I come close to her daughter. Her father was a lawyer.

When we divorced , I moved back to my hometown , worked for my cousin, went back to college to do my masters moved to another country and I basically became successful. When I came back a year ago I got my penthouse and purchased a very expensive supercar.

Theny ex-wife and I ran to each other together with my daughter. We talked for a while and congratulated me for how I had improved. Turns out her relationship with her crush didn't last. Then a few weeks ago I get an email from my ex wife wanting to talk. She was asking me to by my daughter a new car since now I can afford. I said no , that she's a an adult and she can work or she can have her dad or her crush buy her the car.

I later get a call from my daughter and mom and sister saying am the rear end in a top hat. I don't know am I the rear end in a top hat

(Edit my daughter also cut all CONTACT with me and refused to have a relationship even when I begged her and asked her mother to speak to her.)

Edit : most of you keep asking about the restraining order. My ex wife filed for a DV (which wasn't true) and also said I was harassing them and invading their privacy when I went to her house to pick up my daughter . And like I said her father is a lawyer (not a family court lawyer ) but still he used his connections or something

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

I don't want to be a dick but if someone has a :airquote:supercar:airquote: they are a bad person so I am having a hard time with this story.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

trickybiscuits posted:

Kind-of the same reluctance that might be felt by a soldier having to cross a minefield. The mines are definitely there and they're armed and they're hidden. And let's say once you're in the minefield there's no time to consider your steps, it's one step and then another and then another until your leg gets blown off or you make it through. Just chance either way.

If I'm not capable of a real dialogue, if most of the things I say are reactive rather than volitional, if my counterpart has become wise to my instinctual manipulative rhetoric, then talking with them is a roll of the dice. And if I have no inherent self-esteem or healthy coping mechanisms, then rejection is painful, and lasting, because now there's another recent charged memory I have to somehow block off. Which is especially difficult to do if I don't have much else going on in my life.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally A Person posted:

I don't want to be a dick but if someone has a :airquote:supercar:airquote: they are a bad person so I am having a hard time with this story.

you gotta read a tonne between the lines for that dude. like, that's a super extreme case of unreliable narrator

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
[quote="Miss Broccoli" post="507575356"]
you gotta read a tonne between the lines for that dude. like, that's a super extreme case of unreliable narrator
[/]quote[/i]

I don't care if you become the owner of Trump Tower, someone files a restraining order against you, you shouldn't ever talk to them or anyone related to them again just in case

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Literally A Person posted:

They are not sincere beliefs if you go out of your way to steal money from other people of color to buy a new laptop. That's whatever the opposite of sincere is.

everyone involved with the fund signed off on her replacing her failing laptop so she could continue her writing. stop promulgating baseless rumors, jfc.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Odd posted:

I don't care if you become the owner of Trump Tower, someone files a restraining order against you, you shouldn't ever talk to them or anyone related to them again just in case

But you see, everything his ex said was untrue so obviously the restraining order was complete hooey. How could you not trust this obvious handsome winner???

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

everyone involved with the fund signed off on her replacing her failing laptop so she could continue her writing. stop promulgating baseless rumors, jfc.

It's not baseless, PHIZ. She started a loving charity drive to help out people of color and then, as the person distributing the fund, decided to take the first whack at it. Say it however you want it's a hosed up move and she was preying on goons to do it. gently caress her.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It's like saying cult leaders shouldn't be held responsible for taking the cult member's money??? :wtc:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I'm sorry, IK. Probe me if you must but anyone who comes to SA and preys on goons is a lowly piece of turd.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Not baseless. This is the thread where we understand that interpersonal situations can be very complicated and are rarely simple. Please don't imply that something complex is actually quite trivial, because it isn't, so it isn't helpful do that.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the people the funds were for gave her permission to do it. y'all have picked her smallest transgression to get the most upset about and it's just weird.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the people the funds were for gave her permission to do it. y'all have picked her smallest transgression to get the most upset about and it's just weird.

Taking money from your cult of personality is NOT a small transgression, PHIZ. I like you and I'm not going to keep arguing with you because of that fact but it's not right and that's just where I stand on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

stop importing goon drama into every thread, jesus

quote:

My only child (daughter) have been estranged two and a half years now. I love her to death, but she changed after 29 years together. I have accepted it, even though I don’t want to. I don’t know if I will ever see her again till my time is up, here on Earth. We all don’t know that. It sucks.
Ok, here is my worst fear……. I am a God person and Jesus is my saviour. I am Christian and believe highly in the Lord and Heavens. In the Ten Commandments it states ” Honor Thy Mother and Father”. If you break ANY of those Commandments, it is a SIN. My statement is, if you continue to Sin, you CANNOT be forgiven. So, if your child continues to treat you with disrespect, that is NOT honor. That is the LAST thing I want to happen, my child going to Hell. I love her, but it is now in God’s hand and that is my fear. I am hoping something changes before I die, after that it will be too late. I worry about that MORE than ever speaking to her again. Would love some input. Hummerlover. 💗 As in the SUV, lol.