Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Spoilers for 30 year old manga jojo's bizzare adventure battle tendency but the nazi dies super hard at Stalingrad after getting cut in half in a Kars accident. So, it's not like he gets a particularly happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Volcott posted:

Spoilers for 30 year old manga jojo's bizzare adventure battle tendency but the nazi dies super hard at Stalingrad after getting cut in half in a Kars accident. So, it's not like he gets a particularly happy ending.

Yeah but the manga implied he did it doing what he loved.

It’s a happy ending for him

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There's an episode of Sunny where they make a big deal over Dennis getting an iPhone. It's kinda funny to look back on it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK-ZRxeJIiU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

jokes on him tho since germany lost the war

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

av/post combo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Friends is comedic while Seinfeld is funny.

I will not be taking questions at this time

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

the_steve posted:

It's easy to forget, but, Friends was kinda groundbreaking for it's time due to its focusing on a "younger" cast.
Like, I remember there was some retrospective I had read after the show ended, and they mentioned how when they were pitching the show, network execs wanted the Friends to be like supporting cast for some older character that they would go to for advice, and not the main headliners of the show.

Yeah - I also remember reading that the network initially pushed back against having the group hang out in a coffee shop - because that was considered too young and weird for middle American audiences.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
And the idea of a truly equal ensemble cast was also just not understood by network higher-ups, who REALLY pushed to make it just 'Ross, Rachel and The Rest'. The entire cast had to collectively argue pretty hard to get paid the same wage because of it.

Friends aged REAL bad in some places, but in terms of the evolution of the sitcom it's an unarguably big part of the chain. It's a bit like Scrubs in that way, more important for what it did than it standing the test of time quality-wise, although I do think Scrubs holds up way better.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Cleretic posted:

And the idea of a truly equal ensemble cast was also just not understood by network higher-ups, who REALLY pushed to make it just 'Ross, Rachel and The Rest'. The entire cast had to collectively argue pretty hard to get paid the same wage because of it.

Friends aged REAL bad in some places, but in terms of the evolution of the sitcom it's an unarguably big part of the chain. It's a bit like Scrubs in that way, more important for what it did than it standing the test of time quality-wise, although I do think Scrubs holds up way better.

The more awkward Scrubs stuff is a few blackface moments, but they're well aware of that and had a whole episode on the Zach Braff/Donald Faison podcast about it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Seinfeld was originally considered "too New York" and you can probably guess what that is code for.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

Wasn't it originally pitched as a Courtney Cox vehicle?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Friends now, and I suppose partly why it was so popular, is because it was acceptable as background noise.

People poo poo on it, but noticably they do not poo poo on it because it was bad. It was never bad, or unfunny, or anger-inducing etc. It was never actually good either. If you can find me one person that actually felt joy, or heart-warmed, or doubled over with laughter because of an episode of friends, I would be hugely surprised. It was beige, people pleasing mush that offended nobody, so kinda sorta by default was the one thing all people demographics could happily tolerate.

Also it was drat near exclusively straight and white. Apart from Ross's one black and one Asian girlfriends there were no other non-white people sho got screen time that I can remember. And apart from Chandler's trans dad. (And even then that was a homophobic portrayal of non-straightness. Maybe it was just young me being confused, but I don't know if they ever clarified if Chandler's dad was a drag queen or a a trans woman.), and Ross's ex wife and her wife, (who got less and less screen time after the first efw series), all else was hugely middle of the road sexuality wise.

Which to the demographics they were aiming at, the network execs considered that a plus.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Friends was drat near exclusively straight and white. Apart from Ross's one black and one Asian girlfriends there were no other non-white people sho got screen time that I can remember.

https://youtu.be/oUc0vbSlanM

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

And apart from Chandler's trans dad. (And even then that was a homophobic portrayal of non-straightness. Maybe it was just young me being confused, but I don't know if they ever clarified if Chandler's dad was a drag queen or a a trans woman.)

A quick check says that Chandler's dad is openly both. Of course, we're talking 90s-early 2000s awareness of trans people, so they might've not known the actual difference.

Although strangely, they might've fallen rear end-backwards into a respectful depiction on that one. Chandler's dad is played by a clearly feminine woman (Kathleen Turner), and even now, trans women being drag queens is a weirdly contentious subject that there's some pushback against from cis drag queens; I know RuPaul is against it, and it's come up in relation to Drag Race a few times.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

sassassin posted:

Wasn't it originally pitched as a Courtney Cox vehicle?

I think that was Unhappily Ever After, with Nikki Cox, that was supposed to be the vehicle.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Friends now, and I suppose partly why it was so popular, is because it was acceptable as background noise.

People poo poo on it, but noticably they do not poo poo on it because it was bad. It was never bad, or unfunny, or anger-inducing etc. It was never actually good either. If you can find me one person that actually felt joy, or heart-warmed, or doubled over with laughter because of an episode of friends, I would be hugely surprised. It was beige, people pleasing mush that offended nobody, so kinda sorta by default was the one thing all people demographics could happily tolerate.

Also it was drat near exclusively straight and white. Apart from Ross's one black and one Asian girlfriends there were no other non-white people sho got screen time that I can remember. And apart from Chandler's trans dad. (And even then that was a homophobic portrayal of non-straightness. Maybe it was just young me being confused, but I don't know if they ever clarified if Chandler's dad was a drag queen or a a trans woman.), and Ross's ex wife and her wife, (who got less and less screen time after the first efw series), all else was hugely middle of the road sexuality wise.

Which to the demographics they were aiming at, the network execs considered that a plus.

What the hell are you talking about Friends sucked dog poo poo.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

rodbeard posted:

What the hell are you talking about Friends sucked dog poo poo.

I know that success doesn't correlate to quality, but, the show obviously did something right to run for as long as it did and have the degree of success that it does.
Maybe by today's standards the show sucks, but the show debuted almost 30 years ago. 1994 was a very different time with very different tastes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sorry, even in ‘94 the monkey was dumb as hell.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Monkeys rule actually and should be in every show.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cleretic posted:

It's a bit like Scrubs in that way, more important for what it did than it standing the test of time quality-wise, although I do think Scrubs holds up way better.

Scrubs had the best male friendship ever depicted on television.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Seinfeld was originally considered "too New York" and you can probably guess what that is code for.

Only time I heard that discussed on the DVDs was in reference to this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AS_tisvQI

But I take your meaning.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Scrubs had the best male friendship ever depicted on television.

They were closer than the average man and wife

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cleretic posted:

A quick check says that Chandler's dad is openly both. Of course, we're talking 90s-early 2000s awareness of trans people, so they might've not known the actual difference.

Although strangely, they might've fallen rear end-backwards into a respectful depiction on that one. Chandler's dad is played by a clearly feminine woman (Kathleen Turner), and even now, trans women being drag queens is a weirdly contentious subject that there's some pushback against from cis drag queens; I know RuPaul is against it, and it's come up in relation to Drag Race a few times.

Chandler still calls her "dad", so I dunno how respectful that is to a trans woman. Also don't a lot of the other characters refer to her as "he" and the punchline to most jokes is "haha, that man is now/looks like/acts like a woman. Isn't that silly?"

But yeah, she could be both a drag performer and a trans woman.

That is far more than I remember.
But I suppose the fact I don't remember those roles either makes the producers racist, (for only casting black people in unmemorable roles), or me, (for forgetting about/ignoring the black people that were clearly there).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the_steve posted:

I know that success doesn't correlate to quality, but, the show obviously did something right to run for as long as it did and have the degree of success that it does.

It cast a couple of photogenic people of both genders and leaned on the quirky self-referential episode titles.

I had the misfortune of having to watch an episode of Friends once. There were no jokes in it. I don't mean "I didn't find any jokes funny", there simply weren't any jokes. Joey comes through the door - laugh track. Rachel says "good morning" - laugh track. Laugh tracks are normally used to encourage the audience because people generally feel more comfortable when they're not laughing alone. In Friends it was used as a cue card: "you are supposed to laugh here".

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
I feel like this has been posted before, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFSZ8XzWOM

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Hmm, 9/11 happened around the middle of the show, did they ever even say anything about it, even tangentially? Also, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is funny material in Friends, it’s just that there’s slightly over 86 hours of content and only about 3 hours of it is actually funny.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Torquemada posted:

Hmm, 9/11 happened around the middle of the show, did they ever even say anything about it, even tangentially? Also, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is funny material in Friends, it’s just that there’s slightly over 86 hours of content and only about 3 hours of it is actually funny.

There's a wiki page dedicated to media effected by the 9/11 attacks. The friends section just says

quote:

On the TV series Friends, in episode 8x03 ("The One Where Rachel Tells..."), Chandler and Monica could not get on their flight for their honeymoon because Chandler joked about a bombing in the airport. After the attacks, the story was rewritten and re-shot.[32] Additionally, as the show was set in New York, a screen reading "Dedicated to the People of New York City" was added to the end of episode 8x01 ("The One After 'I Do'"), which was the first episode of the series to be broadcast after the attacks and in several subsequent episodes, Joey and other members of the crew are seen wearing NYPD and FDNY apparel. On one occasion Joey is seen in a T-shirt that says "Captain Billy Burke," an NYC firefighter who lost his life in the attack.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why would friends care about 9/11 when the real important stuff like phoebes wedding was happening

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chandler still calls her "dad", so I dunno how respectful that is to a trans woman. Also don't a lot of the other characters refer to her as "he" and the punchline to most jokes is "haha, that man is now/looks like/acts like a woman. Isn't that silly?"

But yeah, she could be both a drag performer and a trans woman.

That is far more than I remember.
But I suppose the fact I don't remember those roles either makes the producers racist, (for only casting black people in unmemorable roles), or me, (for forgetting about/ignoring the black people that were clearly there).

Ive known at least one family where the transitioned parent still went by dad because that was the role she’d filled for them growing up and it was what everyone was used to. Not sure if there’s a general rule but I imagine it’s going to vary a lot

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Been rewatching x-files and just rewatched genderbender, the one with the aliens that swap gender and kill people by having really good sex with them, and are also Amish. It’s a little dated but the worst thing is Scully saying it’s more likely a “transvestite” than an alien. It helps that it spends more time with the Amish angle than the gender angle, but especially by 93 standards it’s not egregious.

Same with the werewolf on a reservation episode. Which again isn’t perfect, but portraying indigenous life realistically and not being too far into the mystical power angle. it’s The X-Files so there is a werewolf/skinwalker but again the way it acknowledges how the feds are basically only ever there to gently caress them over.

Both of them would raise eyebrows if made today but being almost 30 years old (I feel ancient) they’re kind of impressive for the time.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
If you're looking for unproblematic media then don't watch Jojo at all, it's riddled with issues you have to overlook and Joseph's Good Friend The Nazi is pretty much just point one on a giant list. Once you mentally edit the gently caress out of it it's a good show but hooooo boy

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Scrubs gave us the default Fortnite dance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kojiro posted:

If you're looking for unproblematic media then don't watch Jojo at all, it's riddled with issues you have to overlook and Joseph's Good Friend The Nazi is pretty much just point one on a giant list. Once you mentally edit the gently caress out of it it's a good show but hooooo boy

Joseph is introduced crippling a racist cop threatening a black kid though, while also shooting a Coke ad

In short, Joseph Joestar is a land of contrasts

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

There's also that Star Wars charity organization that only dress up like the bad guys.

They have the coolest outfits :cool: (Seriously, I'm in the good-guy sister organization and dressing up to be a part of charity events owns. All the 501sties I know are cool, non-chud people.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Friends also gave us this other docfuture gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAGECigOOko

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Why am I not seeing an upload date for this video?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It says Dec 16, 2010 on the YouTube app for me. :shrug:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Zoom out

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Thanks to Wikipedia, you can look up old TV schedules:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2%80%9395_United_States_network_television_schedule

Friends definitely coasted through that first season as white noise. It was inoffensive, and broadly appealing enough, that people didn't tune out between Mad about You and Seinfeld. Which then led to MAY and Friends switching places, as well as "bonus" episodes of Friends between Seinfeld and then powerhouse ER.

What's really funny is looking that the schedules for the next few years. NBC used that triple powerhouse of shows, as a spawning ground, everything in the 8:30 and 9:30 slots were in the top 10 or 20 of that year, and would then be cast out to another day of the week the next season, for the most part never to be watched again.

That formula appears to have changed when Seinfeld ended. Fraiser took up Seinfeld's old slot in 98, and just couldn't draw the audience to keep the white noise afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Torquemada posted:

Hmm, 9/11 happened around the middle of the show, did they ever even say anything about it, even tangentially?

oldpainless posted:

Why would friends care about 9/11 when the real important stuff like phoebes wedding was happening

The creators apparently considered making more explicit reference to it, but decided that “Friends” wasn’t the appropriate vehicle to discuss such a serious topic, which was probably the right call. Otherwise, the thread title would be Media that did not age well: Friends 8x03: The One On 9/11.