Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sorry for the doublepost, just got an announcement that Big Finish are doing 75% off a bunch of McCoy/Aldred releases. The Fearmonger is shockingly good for such an early Big Finish release, and it's incredibly cheap so get it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, it's 7 copies of Mission to the Unknown!

It's just 7 more copies of Episode 2 of The Space Pirates, for some reason.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It actually IS a missing episode, but it's the Feast of Steven somehow

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

It actually IS a missing episode, but it's the Feast of Steven somehow

I'd take it. Having the full thing of Hartnell's "a happy Christmas to all of you at home" would be nice

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, it's 7 copies of Mission to the Unknown!

The Time Lords made 2 do missions for them after the end of The War Games, then after The Two Doctors they forced him to regenerate into Ruth who did some more missions then went on the run and hid, bumped into 13 in Fugitive of the Judoon, went off doing her own thing for a bit (and Big Finish!), eventually gets caught by the Time Lords (or more likely, tricks them into thinking she didn't want to be "caught") and has her mind wiped and regenerates into 3, whose first episode just so happens to be available in HD meaning him falling out of the TARDIS in Spearhead from Space can be easily incorporated into a modern episode.

There we go, Ruth is in, all without any need for that Brain of Morbius bullshit. Also the Doctor is just another Time Lord, not the Timeless Child (source: the Master said she's the Timeless Child, therefore she isn't).

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the episode but isn’t our entire source for the whole Timeless Child/Pre-Hartnell Doctors thing The Master and a potentially hosed up Matrix? We really don’t have any reason to take his story at face value and every reason to assume he’s lying or purposely leaving out big important details. It also makes more sense to me if The Master himself is The Timeless Child given his history of being used as a weapon and his most recent genocide of the Time Lords.

But then again I could be giving Chibnall too much credit and the whole thing could actually be exactly what we were shown :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There were some angry bandages that read the Doctor's mind last season that mentioned the Timeless Child.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There were some angry bandages that read the Doctor's mind last season that mentioned the Timeless Child.

The bandages reminded her of the Master's snake form. Solved. Canon in shambles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the episode but isn’t our entire source for the whole Timeless Child/Pre-Hartnell Doctors thing The Master and a potentially hosed up Matrix? We really don’t have any reason to take his story at face value and every reason to assume he’s lying or purposely leaving out big important details. It also makes more sense to me if The Master himself is The Timeless Child given his history of being used as a weapon and his most recent genocide of the Time Lords.

Yes, essentially the Doctor being the Timeless Child boils down entirely to the Master, a known liar, telling the Doctor a story he claims is true while showing "evidence" from the Matrix since it can't lie... despite the fact the very first appearance of the infallible record of the Matrix was in The Deadly Assassin where the record was being faked... by the Master. Also, the Doctor's reaction to being told she is the Timeless Child is to say,"Well that doesn't make any sense at all" and then the Master just going,"But it's true!" so she just kind of... believes him?

It was a dumb nod to a long discounted and discarded idea that Robert Holmes had which was dismissed by the showrunners at the time, and actively ignores or dismissed multiple (scores!) of other instances in the show of establishing over and over and over again that William Hartnell was the Doctor's first incarnation. It also completely discounts the fact that the Doctor wasn't really, truly the Doctor at all until he took Ian and Barbara hostage and they basically taught him to have empathy for more than just himself and his granddaughter.

Yes I'm still unreasonably grumpy about it, because even if Chibnall plans to immediately pull a Moffat twist in the very next episode, we had to sit with this dumb concept for like a year before that aired, and now who knows how long it'll be since Covid has probably completely derailed filming for the next season.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My hope is that the Ruth doctor is some kind of alternate universe or time line fork, maybe even going back to some recent and known point so Jodie and Ruth are 13a and 13b, and this arc ends with them being merged and Jodie's 3rd series in Ruth's tardis. Maybe it could have been that looping back to multidoc with #1 caused some sort of paradox in the regeneration and -technobabble-

I like the Ruth doctor though and it would be cool to get a bit more of her.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give me an entire multi-Doc Series, you cowards

Throw Barrowman into the mix like he's been asking for the past decade and let the sparks fly

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Tomtrek posted:

Yeah I really liked Doctor Ruth and it still shocks me that her version of the TARDIS is better in literally every way than 13's TARDIS.

It's just such a good modernisation of the original 1963 console room. I don't get why when the art department can create something that nice and minimalist we have to be stuck with the terrible fake looking crystals.

The guy who designed Jodie's console room only stuck with the show for the one season, it was a new art director for the last season and he was clearly trying desperately to polish a turd with that console room. There's a BTS feature where he talks about the improvements they made.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Y'know....with the announcement of Eccleston returning for a run of Big Finish stories...I'm kinda hoping one of the Out of Time sets is like him and.....Five? Pair him with the family man optimist? Or maybe Six and have them bicker like an old married couple the entire story

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomtrek posted:

Yeah I really liked Doctor Ruth and it still shocks me that her version of the TARDIS is better in literally every way than 13's TARDIS.

It's just such a good modernisation of the original 1963 console room. I don't get why when the art department can create something that nice and minimalist we have to be stuck with the terrible fake looking crystals.

drat it. The console is not aligned with the floor hexagon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

drat it. The console is not aligned with the floor hexagon.

Sure it is? :confused:

Oh, wait, I see the trouble. You're looking at it in three dimensions. Here, bounce this yo-yo up and down, and I'll explain...

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, essentially the Doctor being the Timeless Child boils down entirely to the Master, a known liar, telling the Doctor a story he claims is true while showing "evidence" from the Matrix since it can't lie... despite the fact the very first appearance of the infallible record of the Matrix was in The Deadly Assassin where the record was being faked... by the Master. Also, the Doctor's reaction to being told she is the Timeless Child is to say,"Well that doesn't make any sense at all" and then the Master just going,"But it's true!" so she just kind of... believes him?

It was a dumb nod to a long discounted and discarded idea that Robert Holmes had which was dismissed by the showrunners at the time, and actively ignores or dismissed multiple (scores!) of other instances in the show of establishing over and over and over again that William Hartnell was the Doctor's first incarnation. It also completely discounts the fact that the Doctor wasn't really, truly the Doctor at all until he took Ian and Barbara hostage and they basically taught him to have empathy for more than just himself and his granddaughter.

Yes I'm still unreasonably grumpy about it, because even if Chibnall plans to immediately pull a Moffat twist in the very next episode, we had to sit with this dumb concept for like a year before that aired, and now who knows how long it'll be since Covid has probably completely derailed filming for the next season.

From a Doylist perspective, Chibnall's move made perfect sense. He wants to have a Black woman playing the Doctor. If he has her as a future Doctor, he's either taking a big risk on getting her again when Jodie departs, or he's creating a huge problem for a future showrunner, or he's creating a situation where she's an "alternative" Doctor who doesn't really count. That last option is not a great look for the first Black woman in the role, and you know there are toxic fans who would just love that technical "she isn't really the Doctor" excuse.

So he can't add her as a future Doctor. And Day of the Doctor plus Eleven's regeneration locks him out of a past Doctor... unless there were Doctors prior to One. That also gives him the opportunity to play with/delve into the past of the Time Lords, who in terms of their future seem like they've been uninteresting for quite some time.

Yes, there's a certain paucity of imagination, and it isn't clear that Chibnall has anything to say beyond making the casting (though having nothing to say would hardly be the first time for the series), but if it gets us the Ruth Doctor I am willing to put up with a considerable amount of mishandled or bullshit ideas.

I'd argue that the harm done to the fictional setting of the show is outweighed by the potential good of this casting choice. Especially in 2019 and 2020, where white supremacy seems to be making a comeback alongside all the other ick. Turning one of my favorite show's continuities into drivel is a price to pay, yes, but not too big a price, especially if we see Ruth again and she's played as well as she has been so far.

On the scale of violations from adding the War Doctor to adding the Valeyard to having the Great Intelligence and Clara jump into the TARDIS core to write themselves into the past of the show, it's not clear yet how big this one is going to be. I do know that adding the Ruth Doctor does less harm to One's legacy than, say, what was done to Borusa over the course of the series from Four to Five.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know if it wasn't for the fact that the first black woman to play the Doctor is also a villain and also a CIA stooge

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think adding Ruth Doctor is as big of a problem as the Timeless Child thing - it does exactly what I don't want from Doctor Who, making the Doctor into something special, destined for greatness by birth, instead of just someone from a staid, traditionalist society with a lot of power who decided to run away and confront injustice wherever they found it. Stuff as many Doctors between incarnations as you want, throw the regeneration limit out the window, absolutely, but "special by birth" is not a trope we need these days.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really think a “RuthDoc is a 6B Doc between 2 & 3” explanation is the best solution for all involved. Just say that 10’s Metacrisis regeneration didn’t count as a full regeneration and you can still adhere to a 13 regeneration limit with Ruth and War Doc as the “forgotten” Doctors. Then have The Master as the actual Timeless Child and you’ve given him another reason to feel so hurt and vengeful toward the Time Lords.

Boom, I just handwaved any potential issues brought up last season even though there’s really no reason a show with an already tenuous adherence to continuity can’t just rewrite its own past at will to inject a little diversity and representation into its DNA at a time in our culture when that sort of thing is sorely needed.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Narsham posted:

If he has her as a future Doctor, [...] he's creating a huge problem for a future showrunner

I too remember all the difficulties created for the show when The Valeyard and The Curator made their respective appearances, truly they were gigantic hurdles for a show about a nigh-immortal shape-changing time traveling alien to overcome :v:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

https://twitter.com/archives1963/status/1297858028952268800?s=20

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The surefire way to get the message out is by loving up the hashtag.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
My sources tell me that there's actually a successfully typed hashtag tucked away in the basement of an old government ministry building in Hong Kong.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Burkion posted:

You know if it wasn't for the fact that the first black woman to play the Doctor is also a villain and also a CIA stooge

Uh, she's not either of those things really.

William Hartnell's first few acts as the Doctor included being mistaken as a paedophile, successfully kidnapping two strangers, an attempted stoning and wreckless endangerment of a minor.

Rebelling against against your handler / kidnapper / whatever and saving the day is pretty straight up heroic.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Open Source Idiom posted:

William Hartnell's first few acts as the Doctor included being mistaken as a paedophile, successfully kidnapping two strangers, an attempted stoning and wreckless endangerment of a minor.

What, you would rather he pushed Susan into traffic instead? :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really think a “RuthDoc is a 6B Doc between 2 & 3” explanation is the best solution for all involved. Just say that 10’s Metacrisis regeneration didn’t count as a full regeneration and you can still adhere to a 13 regeneration limit with Ruth and War Doc as the “forgotten” Doctors. Then have The Master as the actual Timeless Child and you’ve given him another reason to feel so hurt and vengeful toward the Time Lords.

Boom, I just handwaved any potential issues brought up last season even though there’s really no reason a show with an already tenuous adherence to continuity can’t just rewrite its own past at will to inject a little diversity and representation into its DNA at a time in our culture when that sort of thing is sorely needed.

Timelords can grant extra regenerations so the ones that the Doctor got in 6B don't count. Done.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

What, you would rather he pushed Susan into traffic instead? :v:

Hey, the only reason Susan learnt not to run with scissors was to survive The Edge of Destruction. Pushing Susan into traffic was the only way One could be sure she'd survived 20th Century Coal Hill.

As is typical of her peers, Gallifreyian children tend to go through many regenerations during their disruptive teenage years. It's the only way for a nigh immortal race to truly understand road safety.

Mic drop. Canon in shambles.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Narsham posted:

So he can't add her as a future Doctor.

Make her a 'fake' Doc like David Morrissey in that christmas episode.
Have 13 spend like 400 years in the prison, the Tardis decides to open up its doors (or gets broken into) and makes Ruth who is the one who first enters into RuthDoc.
We saw that Doctor Who can store his mind in a watch, the Tardis could have an ultimate failsafe that is basically a backup of the Doctor. Who is best to save the Doctor, other than the Doctor.
But you can't tell the Doctor what to do, so the command 'go save the real Doc' is subliminal instead.
So Ruthdoc goes around pretending to be the Doc for a few hundred years herself, but slowly is helping 13 escape Bill & Ted style.
You could have several episodes of Ruthdoc just doing small things here, doing things there, culminating in getting 13 out.
Then again, I'm talking poo poo here.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

happyhippy posted:

Make her a 'fake' Doc like David Morrissey in that christmas episode.
Have 13 spend like 400 years in the prison, the Tardis decides to open up its doors (or gets broken into) and makes Ruth who is the one who first enters into RuthDoc.
We saw that Doctor Who can store his mind in a watch, the Tardis could have an ultimate failsafe that is basically a backup of the Doctor. Who is best to save the Doctor, other than the Doctor.
But you can't tell the Doctor what to do, so the command 'go save the real Doc' is subliminal instead.
So Ruthdoc goes around pretending to be the Doc for a few hundred years herself, but slowly is helping 13 escape Bill & Ted style.
You could have several episodes of Ruthdoc just doing small things here, doing things there, culminating in getting 13 out.
Then again, I'm talking poo poo here.

Series 13 being about the rescue of 13 by Ruth, Twelve, Smith, and Tennant would be amazing

An absolute bitch nightmare to organize, but amazing

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think Chibnall was lying when he said that Ruth wasn't an Alternative Doctor but was just the genuine article, so I don't expect her to turn out to be someone who stumbled onto a Doctor's backup or something like that.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

When the discussion is between whether to have a 6B Doctor or an explanation for the extra faces in Brain of Morbius and Seven's references to being much older and "more than just a Time Lord," you're trying to solve a problem while disregarding the vast majority of viewers.

I think Chibnall wanted a Black woman as the Doctor and didn't want to wait and hope that he was still showrunner and got to cast the next Doctor. I think everything else followed from that. His first intent, then, wouldn't have been to solve a "problem" within the show's continuity, but rather to have a real, genuine, not alternate, not "projected," not "Doctor with an asterisk" Doctor who he could use alongside Jodie to tell stories.

I would not put it past him to be trolling hard-core fans at the same time, although Moffat remains the champion at that. I mean, c'mon, the Grand Moff green-lit the "Moon is a giant egg" story AND the forests grow to save us from solar flares story. Chibnall's still bush leagues in comparison and I will be delighted if he has the moxie to make the Timeless Child thing stick, even if I have mixed feelings about it from the Watsonian perspective.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Narsham posted:

I think Chibnall wanted a Black woman as the Doctor and didn't want to wait and hope that he was still showrunner and got to cast the next Doctor. I think everything else followed from that.
I suspect I would see this exact claim in a right-wing youtube video

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like it's a nice statement, on some level -- not only is it possible for the Doctor now to not be a white man, it's always been the case that the Doctor didn't have to be a white man.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

In an ideal world, the race, sex and gender of the Doctor wouldn't matter and we'd just have a time traveler poking things to see what happens, but that'd take time and effort

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Narsham posted:

I mean, c'mon, the Grand Moff green-lit the "Moon is a giant egg" story

hey now. that's not entirely fair.

it was a giant egg that gained in mass as it got closer to hatching, like eggs do

don't undersell it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Moon egg was where I gave up on the series, honestly.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Moon is an egg is great and I can only assume that the people who hate it must be watching a very different show

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF released Out of Time , starring Tom Baker and David Tennant, today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wAvf0wCLNA

And further news:

Out of Time 2: The Gates of Hell, starring David Tennant and Peter Davison, along with the Cybermen, comes out June 2021

Out of Time 3: Wink, starring David Tennant and Colin Baker, along with the Weeping Angels, is out July 2022

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 26, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The idea that the egg would hatch safely and new creature not harm the earth in any way feels like it was written by someone who had never seen a nature documentary.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, but it's not literal. It's an allegory for, you know, ALWAYS CHOOSING LIFE.

It's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't episode. Neither reading is good, but it's at least emotionally compelling (which is more than I can say for Pyramid At The End Of The World, which has everyone so reactionary that nothing ends up being dramatic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, does Capaldi have the largest gap in quality between best and worst episodes of any Doctor? Because it feels like he does, with some actively offensive episodes and then Heaven Sent on thebother side.