Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Yeah shoreline is good because its really big, you can see resort from most places to keep your bearing, and most chads go straight for resort and leave you to exploring and scav killing or stash hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
its also somewhere you have or will have tasks for. its like a mix between customs and woods but without the "getting sniped from nowhere" element of woods, and the extra size means its even easier to avoid the pvp hotspots than customs.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

This has been my experience in the week or so I've been playing, almost exclusively.

Enter map, spend 5 minutes figuring out where the hell I am on the map, start moving someplace I think I want to go (I don't really know, ever, where I want to go), get drilled in the head.

A few minutes ago I did almost 300 damage with a shotgun and still didn't drop a single person.

But it's oddly fun.

Many players move towards the nearest enemy spawn when the raid starts to thin the competition. If you're spending 5-10 minutes standing in the spawn, that's probably why you're getting shot up.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I gotta say though with the most recent expansion, I love customs so much more. Not because of the expansion area (I usually avoid it unless I'm skirting around it to get to Old Gas) but because the opening has really balanced out the map now better so you can actually move and avoid the old dumb chokepoints that forced you up against tank chads. Dorms still is PVP heavy, which is fine, but the map is just a lot more fun now.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cage Kicker posted:

Many players move towards the nearest enemy spawn when the raid starts to thin the competition. If you're spending 5-10 minutes standing in the spawn, that's probably why you're getting shot up.

I'm not just standing still right where I'm at or anything, it's just that I'm moving around kind of aimlessly trying to spot a landmark while my attention is more than half on the map I've got open on my second monitor.

I try to stick to cover or concealment while I'm doing this but without knowing exactly where I am it's hard to know what angles are the dangerous ones, especially since I haven't learned all the spawns yet.

Anyway I'm just posting to post, I'm not bothered by this and I realize it's one of those things that comes with experience.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I'm not just standing still right where I'm at or anything, it's just that I'm moving around kind of aimlessly trying to spot a landmark while my attention is more than half on the map I've got open on my second monitor.

I try to stick to cover or concealment while I'm doing this but without knowing exactly where I am it's hard to know what angles are the dangerous ones, especially since I haven't learned all the spawns yet.

Anyway I'm just posting to post, I'm not bothered by this and I realize it's one of those things that comes with experience.

So you've got a couple different things to help based on what map you're playing.

Interchange: scavs always have all three extracts so no real info.

Factory: small enough to not be an issue

Most of the rest of the maps though basically have an west side and an east side, and spawning on the west side means you get east side extracts, so using that will let you narrow down what side of the map you're on.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Is it just me or is the game having way more CTD in the past week or so? Tarkov is triggering enough without having the game crash on you right as you're about make a play and sacrifice a great raid with a pack full of loot :(

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Stux posted:

tarkov has a leg up on titanfall 2 in the "being a good game" department thankfully.

im a week late but lmao at this incredibly wrong opinion

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I've been in several fights now where I lost and in the after action report it says I did 300ish damage to a guy's body.

Is the damage reported straight up "this was subtracted from the other player's health bars", and thus the guy I lost to is probably super hosed up and a heartbeat away from death, or is the damage report at the end of a raid like pre-mitigation somehow and thus I'm not reading it correctly?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
mitigated damage is shown as damage to armor

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a diagram that shows specifically how far each sound travels?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

I've been in several fights now where I lost and in the after action report it says I did 300ish damage to a guy's body.

Is the damage reported straight up "this was subtracted from the other player's health bars", and thus the guy I lost to is probably super hosed up and a heartbeat away from death, or is the damage report at the end of a raid like pre-mitigation somehow and thus I'm not reading it correctly?

I believe so. Base HP is what, 440? So 300 damage would be quite up there. Chest HP is 85, head is 35, each leg is 65 and each arm is 60, so it sounds like you basically blacked all his limbs and maybe some damage elsewhere but just didn't do enough damage directly to Chest and Head, or do enough damage continuously on a blackened limb for it to be transferred to chest and head. Last patch they buffed chest from 80 to 85, which changed a few one-tap rounds including the cheaper Mosin rounds (LPS)

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I knew I almost had that fucker

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

don't be like me, and forget that Interchange cache runs exist. it's nice to have some flow of money now.

also, definitely recommend ducking into Oli to grab a motor and fuel and skedaddling.

edit:
30 seconds after I type this

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

With the latest expansion, Customs has become my go-to map for making money quickly. They almost need to rework the spawns and extracts now that you can practically skip half the map. All of the warehouses/buildings in the new area are so full of loot I'm making 100K+ a run in 10-15 min relatively easily.

hello internet fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 25, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

hello internet posted:

With the latest expansion, Customs has become my go-to map for making money quickly. They almost need to rework the spawns and extracts now that you can practically skip half the map. All of the warehouses/buildings in the new area are so full of loot I'm making 100K+ a run in 10-15 min relatively easily.

Where are you going on the map?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
customs has always been a good place to make money, you simply walk into dorms and shoot people and walk out with a bunch of guns

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Stux posted:

customs has always been a good place to make money, you simply walk into dorms and shoot people and walk out with a bunch of guns

PVP isn't really that big of a money maker. Good way to get gear (which I guess saves you money) but since the items aren't FIR, they sell poorly to the dealers. I'm okay with that tbqh, yeah yeah I know reddit or whatever will complain ("don't judge other people's playstyle!") but this game isn't supposed to be an arena COD, its really supposed to be a PVE game with a sprinkling of PVP so I'm glad they are disincentivizing going full hard PVP

But yeah Customs is now rivaling Reserve in terms of decent loot runs without having to necessarily do straight PVP (you can make tons still avoiding dorms)

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 25, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
agree to disagree

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

My first raid was to go reserve at night.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Don't get me wrong, you can make bank doing that if the dude you kill just looted marked room and is full of loot, but I just have to constantly remind myself of the non-FIR items I loot when I'm doing the cost-benefit loot thing later in the raid and I've screwed myself over leaving behind "lesser" loot that's FIR even though it was worth more money than the cool stuff I looted from PVP. Besides, when you start breaking down the per-slot cost, a bunch of duct tape on a per-slot basis is worth more than say an AK-74, but it's always easy to fall into that trap of "oh gotta get the gunzz!" and fill up your back with that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
its v quick to fill your backpack up with guns covered in attachments and then vendor them and go again and its extremely 100% reliable you will exit the raid with a full inv of stuff you will make money on. add in marked room and safes and baby thats quick cash.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Gabriel S. posted:

Where are you going on the map?

I go straight for the new area while making pit stops at old gas and the surrounding old warehouses

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stux posted:

its v quick to fill your backpack up with guns covered in attachments and then vendor them and go again and its extremely 100% reliable you will exit the raid with a full inv of stuff you will make money on. add in marked room and safes and baby thats quick cash.

Yeah I definitely make more money when I get a pvp kill. A loaded up gun with nice attachments is an easy 70-100k from a vendor. Especially when there's salvageable armor or rigs that I can use to reduce my next raids costs.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I mean, a quick scav on interchange will always net you at least 150k if you follow certain routes and hit up boxes along the way.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
New customs areas area great. Lots of expensive ammo and gun parts laying around. Also I found 3 sugar in that warehouse that has the new exit. I was on a scav and I ran my rear end out of there so fast. I really need to hit level 20 so I can get the workbench upgrade. I've been playing super casually, mainly to not get burned out. Again.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

New customs areas area great. Lots of expensive ammo and gun parts laying around. Also I found 3 sugar in that warehouse that has the new exit. I was on a scav and I ran my rear end out of there so fast. I really need to hit level 20 so I can get the workbench upgrade. I've been playing super casually, mainly to not get burned out. Again.

The amount of sugar that spawns there is insane. Last time I got killed there I was carrying 4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

kru posted:

I mean, a quick scav on interchange will always net you at least 150k if you follow certain routes and hit up boxes along the way.

that isnt very much lol

Famethrowa posted:

Yeah I definitely make more money when I get a pvp kill. A loaded up gun with nice attachments is an easy 70-100k from a vendor. Especially when there's salvageable armor or rigs that I can use to reduce my next raids costs.

this ftw

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Stux posted:

that isnt very much lol

this ftw

It is for a newbie. If you want to make actual money, taking people's poo poo in resort is the way to do it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stux posted:

that isnt very much lol

this ftw

I'm a fan of the interchange run as a warm-up too though, and as a weekend warrior, it's a pretty decent way to defray your costs and possibly get ammo you can use in resorts.

also, 150k is extremely low-end. if you can hit all the cache's on the Intercom/Railway side, you usually collect closer to 200-300k. I've been finding Igolnik pretty regularly which is nice cool 50k in one slot.

if you're feeling nuts too, I like to dip into Oli and search for propane/gas.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
throwing scavs into dorms helps u progress from new player for the 50% of runs where you find someone else there and have a fight in a controllable and simple environment, and the other 50% you find a bunch of dead people that still have tons of loot on them.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
PVP by itself is not profitable unless you are *very* good at this game. Imagine you're going up against someone with equal gear and skill as you - you'll win the fight 50% of the time, but the loot you'll get off his body will only be worth a fraction of the value you brought into the raid, because a) you can only sell it to vendors, and b) you probably won't loot all of it. That's a negative expected value. Of course you could bring in better gear and up your winrate, but you're also risking more value there, too.

The way to do it is to run to areas with good loot and treat the PvP as a fun side reward/activity. Sometimes I seek out PvP for its own sake to have fun, but I don't expect it to be profitable. For dorms specifically, the only times it makes financial sense to go there imo is if you have quests there or if you have one of the two closest spawns to hit marked room.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
yeah or you can scav into dorms and reliably get to loot a bunch of high value modded guns left there by other people that vendor for a good chunk each

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Reading things and watching videos has instilled a healthy fear of dorms in my noob rear end to the point that I pee a little if I even see the buildings lol

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Most tarkov players are cowardly and incompetent so even having an attitude towards starting fights and having the gear to do so puts you at a massive advantage

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mae posted:

Most tarkov players are cowardly and incompetent so even having an attitude towards starting fights and having the gear to do so puts you at a massive advantage

the time honored tactic of sprinting away from some bad PMC taking low percentage potshots, going prone 50 yards away, and capping them as they blindly fumble around looking for you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
yeah any kind of repositioning at all will let you win against 50% of players its v funny lol

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The only reason to take down other players isn't for guns or armor. It's for good ammo. :smith:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Famethrowa posted:

the time honored tactic of sprinting away from some bad PMC taking low percentage potshots, going prone 50 yards away, and capping them as they blindly fumble around looking for you.

This is pretty much my only tactic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ice Fist posted:

This is pretty much my only tactic

Throwing 15 grenades seems to be one tactic a lot of the shitlords I shoot in the face like to do.