Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Significantly higher upfront cost was a big reason, you'd also probably want a charger box thing and a tester too. New they were more or less as good as an out of the pack energizer, but they'd lose capacity as you went through charge/discharge cycles, moreso than with modern stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volcott posted:

Significantly higher upfront cost was a big reason, you'd also probably want a charger box thing and a tester too. New they were more or less as good as an out of the pack energizer, but they'd lose capacity as you went through charge/discharge cycles, moreso than with modern stock.

I remember using rechargeable AA's in the 90's and they really were garbage. Getting a pack of new AA's was a godsend when playing on my GameBoy or GBA, compared to hoping the rechargeables in the drawer would survive for a few hours.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My folks bought the first AC adapter they could find for my GameBoy. I'll have to dig it up because I probably still have it somewhere, but there was some kind of rechargeable thing for the GameBoy, but it required you plugging the whole unit into an outlet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Game Boy was my only connection to the console gaming world for a long time (my main childhood gaming device was an Amiga computer) and 90% of the time I played it indoors with an A/C adapter :shobon:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My cousin had a sickass briefcase thing that carried the GB, the charger, and like 6 games.

He also had a nice leather fannypack like the kind the Rock had that he used to stuff full if GB games and the GB.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

"A Long Walk" by Jill Scott maybe?

Yeaaaah buddy! Thank you!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I don't know about 90's rechargeable, but in the 00's I went round and round with NiMH AA's in cameras. The lower cell voltage was enough to trigger the low battery warning in every camera within twenty shots or so, but my boss kept bitching about the cost of alkaline AA's. It was a huge relief omg that front when we finally spent the money on DSLRs.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I had the Game Gear and a carrying case with space for like 8 cartridges.

It ate batteries so I had a wall charger adaptor, except the wires inside somehow split so if I didn’t pinch it right and hold it with my hand the thing would shut off.

Lots of games of Sonic, Columns, and Woody Pop got ruined because of this.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Len posted:

I raise you the Handy Boy which I found at a Goodwill for $5 once and still have at my dad's somewhere

I had this motherfucker

It was massive and the joystick was poo poo and got worn out pretty quick.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Volcott posted:

Ni–Cd batteries were also hugely annoying hassle to maintain, since you could ruin them by recharging them improperly and it took ages to recharge them with the home charger thingies which were also always completely broken, missing or did not connect properly and cooked the battery.

Also, when they die they also are highly toxic waste and should go to special collection bins... which weren't everywhere during the 90's because recycling was a thing for the hippies back then and why bother.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I had some turd rechargeable battery for the game gear and it had like some confusing switch and if you plugged it into power too early (or late?) it would be stuck on charging to only like 10% of maximum for all time

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Der Kyhe posted:

Ni–Cd batteries were also hugely annoying hassle to maintain, since you could ruin them by recharging them improperly and it took ages to recharge them with the home charger thingies which were also always completely broken, missing or did not connect properly and cooked the battery.

Also, when they die they also are highly toxic" waste and should go to special collection bins... which weren't everywhere during the 90's because recycling was a thing for the hippies back then and why bother.

I've heard of "ni-cad" and "nickel-cadmium" batteries before, but never made the connection between them until just now.
I don't get it either.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Who didn’t like having a Tyco R/C car that lasted 20 minutes on a charge (10 if you abused the turbo button) and then took a full day to recharge? What fun those battery packs were.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tyco that's how you spell rc

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Volcott posted:

Only saw one secondhand but apparently keeping a game gear in batts was like that dril tweet about candles.

That’s because the Game Gear’s backlight was a teeny tiny CFL tube. You can buy a modern modkit to replace it with LEDs for significantly better lighting and battery life. :science:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

DrChu posted:

Who didn’t like having a Tyco R/C car that lasted 20 minutes on a charge (10 if you abused the turbo button) and then took a full day to recharge? What fun those battery packs were.

I had a huge black truck with Monster truck sized tires and Nikkon? on it.

It eventually succumbed to battery memory effect.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Nikko. That was what the R/C company was called. I had a couple of their cars, they were pretty nifty, and they didn’t require a rechargeable battery pack.

Not sure if Nikko still exists anymore though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
My RC car of choice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQKg4IEBqQ

Perfectly designed for kids to smash into walls.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Nikko. That was what the R/C company was called. I had a couple of their cars, they were pretty nifty, and they didn’t require a rechargeable battery pack.

Not sure if Nikko still exists anymore though.

Come to think of it, I think the only R/C thing we had that really lasted was a black Nikko. Every year, one of us would get and try some new
thing - sometimes a motorcycle - and it would inevitably be terrible, leaving us with the tried & the true.

To fight over because we only had the one and what fun was THAT?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8zaOhtbKxo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
About a year ago I was explaining what a Fast Traxx was to some younger millennials.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Iron Crowned posted:

About a year ago I was explaining what a Fast Traxx was to some younger millennials.

hell yeah, I had one of those. Got in trouble for bringing it to school and launching it off the slide.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Darthemed posted:

My RC car of choice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQKg4IEBqQ

Perfectly designed for kids to smash into walls.

Thought for sure this was going to be The Animal:
Squawk!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afofc_Jt86s

I guess that's more 80s, but they re-ran that commercial for like a decade and a half.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJa6eUpxNyM

Always wanted this guy. But mine would’ve probably just sank.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
What was the RC car's name where it could be flipped and poo poo and it was fine that wasn't the super rebound? Like, it was just a really thin body and the tank-like tracks would make contact no matter it's orientation.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Aug 31, 2020

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I had the original Rebound and the Scorcher 6x6, I liked the Scorcher 6x6 more and played with it until the front wheels broke off.

Nine point six volt TURBO POWER

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I had this bad boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDfaMfvJNwY

It actually did do pretty cool one-wheeled spins, although my parents always got mad at me for accidentally banging it into walls and stuff.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bestbuy ad from 1996, tag yourself! I’m mega man X for PC, $9.99!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’m the VHS copy of Forrest Gump that my dad may still have in a box somewhere.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
True Lies and Stargate were the two first DVDs I ever had.

I still have them. However, I think Stargate is actually downscaled or something. It doesn't have a 16:9 or 16:10 ratio, but it isn't 4:3 formatted either. It has black bars on all sides but it is still a widescreen format. Shame, because I really like that movie.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I’m the alternate cover for Electriclarryland.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Darthemed posted:

I’m the alternate cover for Electriclarryland.

H*ck yeah it’s the B***H*** Surfers!

I’m the (not pictured) copy of Mega Man (not X) for the PC that should never have been made in the first place.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm absolutely the Macarena! column with multiple Macarena albums to choose from.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
To this very day, I get ultra hype about the Black Friday fliers that come in the mail/newspaper.

I grab all of them and sit down and go through anything to see if there's anything worth getting. But those 80's and 90's catalogs and inserts were on another level altogether. Especially the Kay*Bee Toys, Babbages, Software Etc, Funcoland, Toys R Us, Media Play, Circuit City, CompUSA and Sharper Image ones.

EDIT: There was also a toy joint called Children's Palace that existed until the early 90's and that place was fuckin' bonkers. Their electronics section alone posed a serious challenge to the Toys R Us electionics section. And I remember them having practiclaly endless amounts of Starting Lineup sports figurines, too.

Gonz has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Sep 1, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh boy; 16MB of RAM and a 3.1GB HDD :eyepop:.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Was there a worse time to buy a PC than 96-97 in terms of value/longevity? The family Pentium 133 that cost nearly 3 grand in '96 was pretty much unusable for gaming within a year thanks to the rise of 3d and the rapid increase in mhz. When Mp3s became the hot thing it struggled to play them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There were reasons other than gaming to own a PC but yeah that was a hard ask at the time

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The pace in 96-97 was slower than it had been earlier in the decade though? And unless you'd bought a shitbox (admittedly a load of people who didn't know any better did) you could drop in a 3DFX card no problem.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm the car audio tape deck for 69 (NICE!).99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like the lowly sega genesis for $122. The date is September, I think the N64 came out that month or next.