Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Car Hater posted:

I'm not sure of the name, but the person who twigged me to it said it's the same folks that did DTE, so I expect some similar good machine-built flow sections that can go either direction.

it's spectrum, I've never met them or seen anything they do I think they're just regional. Still, two largescale projects they're gonna be skilled. Spime Wrangler is right anyway, I just saw that ohio job come off pretty much without a hitch because the PM was himself one of the highest skilled builders I'd met before and all he did was run the contractors specific to quality. As for style, I just don't want to see large scale projects run in the same style throughout especially if it involves more miles than a person will ride in a day but that's just personal pref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I'm genuinely curious if covid transmission can happen in these conditions.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kimbo305 posted:

Outside and the case count in that area I personally would not be concerned.

The trail days here people have buffs or masks on.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 24, 2020

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

No idea, but the less-vulnerable population is getting more comfortable doing things while fairly distanced and outside. No close-talking, no parties, no after-session group beers, probably still 90% quarantined and only hanging with a small group of locals otherwise. We've been super rigid organizationally about following state guidelines for events (cancelled everything but the clinics and workdays) and ask people to do the usual don't-come-if-you're-sick, etc. We've been the beneficiaries of pretty good policies in Michigan and our local prevalence is very low, with 50 total cases in our two counties since the start, a 7-day positive test rate of 0.1%, and a contact tracing program taking full advantage of our low numbers.

Another consideration is that this project and a few others we've done have all been safety-focused, upgrading legacy features on known hotspots. Since our EMS services consist of like three older, covid-vulnerable paramedics serving the whole population anything that keeps them out of the line of fire is huge.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

thatguy posted:

88 mile project in Ohio

This is the Bailey's stuff in Athens right?

thatguy posted:

that ohio job

East Rim in Cuyahoga Valley National Park?

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

**I am dumb** removed.

At any rate, here is an new(?) strava feature.

h3r0n fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 24, 2020

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Had a real surprise this morning. Saw a trail listed on my county's website that wasn't on MTB Project or Singletracks. Since it was right behind a senior center and listed as a walking/biking trail, I figured it would be a casual, wide path that would keep me out of the sun. Instead, it looks like the county put a decent amount of effort into a mountain bike trail last year and then promptly forgot about it. I feel bad that it's not seeing more use. What's the best way to let other people know it exists?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Baronash posted:

Had a real surprise this morning. Saw a trail listed on my county's website that wasn't on MTB Project or Singletracks. Since it was right behind a senior center and listed as a walking/biking trail, I figured it would be a casual, wide path that would keep me out of the sun. Instead, it looks like the county put a decent amount of effort into a mountain bike trail last year and then promptly forgot about it. I feel bad that it's not seeing more use. What's the best way to let other people know it exists?

I would submit it to those two sites. Especially as it is on the county's website. You could do a group ride there but Covid.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 24, 2020

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

h3r0n posted:

This is the Bailey's stuff in Athens right?

East Rim in Cuyahoga Valley National Park?

Its baileys yeah I think? I'm not involved with it but I know who the PM is and I know a lot of the contractors associated with it. Its been 2 years now since they started? Is that it? think he started with ten and winnowed it down to 4 contractors maybe? But the PM is well known and spime wrangler is right, guys willing to be assholes about personal pref stuff are hard to find. I know a lot of guys who only do janky tech, low flow stuff that I hate and setting them on an eastern trail system would be bad unless the PM is willing to stay on top of it

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Spime Wrangler posted:

lol we have a 30+ mile ongoing project that first hit paper in 2005, broke ground in 2014, and we're now two full years into red tape on the fully-funded last phase without even touching dirt. the users will be there when the project gets done, and the project gets done when the project gets done.

I'm sorry you've gotta deal with a bunch of issues, but this is the first I've heard that Phase 3 is fully funded so I'm very excited about that!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yeah it's just a whole new ballgame for everyone involved. It's one of the first big MTB trails being funded through this particular state grant system at this scale and there was a long period where we thought we might need to meet federal guidelines as well, which adds about six more layers of review. Moving forward though and it's indeed fully funded as long as we don't go over budget!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Yes. Certainly less likely than the same thing indoors, but grunting and puffing while shoving a giant piece of wood around a couple feet away from another guy doing the same thing is absolutely a high risk scenario. Exertion -> increased volume and force of respiration + increased respiratory droplet production. Masks should be worn for this.

All that aside, this is awesome and thanks Spime Wrangler for being involved with making cool stuff.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yes. Certainly less likely than the same thing indoors, but grunting and puffing while shoving a giant piece of wood around a couple feet away from another guy doing the same thing is absolutely a high risk scenario. Exertion -> increased volume and force of respiration + increased respiratory droplet production. Masks should be worn for this.

Yeah, I feel an obligation to go help on the work days since I've been using the trails, but I haven't because of the plague. It's true that we have almost zero cases up here, but we could always be right in the middle of an outbreak and be 1-2 weeks away from realizing it. Plus, there have been a *lot* of tourists up here in the last month, and college students are coming back now... makes me nervous.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

thatguy posted:

Its baileys yeah I think? I'm not involved with it but I know who the PM is and I know a lot of the contractors associated with it. Its been 2 years now since they started? Is that it? think he started with ten and winnowed it down to 4 contractors maybe? But the PM is well known and spime wrangler is right, guys willing to be assholes about personal pref stuff are hard to find. I know a lot of guys who only do janky tech, low flow stuff that I hate and setting them on an eastern trail system would be bad unless the PM is willing to stay on top of it

Here is what they have going on so far: https://baileystrailsystem.org/

I'll check it for sure, but I live by Cleveland so sadly it's not exactly a day trip. Certainly good for a weekend camping trip, it's a beautiful part of the state and there are plenty of other trails down there.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm originally from Ohio but I've only done Vultures Knob near Wooster. I'll be visiting my family near Akron and I'm thinking of bringing my mountain bike. Any recommendations for what I should try to hit?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Had a great ride in the Shed today. Thanks for the trail recommendation VacaGrande. I almost took out a snapping turtle in the last 5th or so.

drat nice trails even if they kick my rear end.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
for you boulder goons, is there an area I should focus on looking for cheaper housing? I'm gonna be there for approximately 6 months from April 2021 to Sept/October with a crew of 7-8 guys. I'm pricing in 8k a month in housing stipend but I don't know where I should be looking. I'm not too familiar with the area and I'd at least like to have the option of paying for their housing but I'm seeing like 1700-2k a month for for a 2br anything that isn't an absolute dumpster fire, and I'd much rather rent something big that can house everybody. Renting a ranch or acreage is an option, most of us are used to backpacking.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

thatguy posted:

for you boulder goons, is there an area I should focus on looking for cheaper housing? I'm gonna be there for approximately 6 months from April 2021 to Sept/October with a crew of 7-8 guys. I'm pricing in 8k a month in housing stipend but I don't know where I should be looking. I'm not too familiar with the area and I'd at least like to have the option of paying for their housing but I'm seeing like 1700-2k a month for for a 2br anything that isn't an absolute dumpster fire, and I'd much rather rent something big that can house everybody. Renting a ranch or acreage is an option, most of us are used to backpacking.

In the city proper will be hard. I would look at the surrounding towns of Longmont, Loveland, Louisville, Louisville, Superior and Broomfield.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Hoo boy trying to get a 24 inch bike right now. Or any bike right now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OhsH posted:

Hoo boy trying to get a 24 inch bike right now. Or any bike right now.
What are you after? What's your budget?

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Nyyen posted:

Had a great ride in the Shed today. Thanks for the trail recommendation VacaGrande. I almost took out a snapping turtle in the last 5th or so.

drat nice trails even if they kick my rear end.

Glad you liked it! Three Saws is the only machine-built trail like that up in that area (that I know of). It's a bit more techy, but Viper to Pit to Vandal on the north side is a really good descending sequence that doesn't have the World-Cup-holy-poo poo features of some of the unofficial stuff. It spits you out just up the road from the parking on Mountaindale Road. You can also see if you can find the Sheduro stage maps, those are great for techy downhills that won't kill you.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

What are you after? What's your budget?

Trying to find a precaliber 24, or really any 24, front suspension fork would be a bonus but its not make or break, just trying to find something for my friends kid to come with us on the easy stuff. Sub 600$ is ideal. Also located in northern indiana, the local place wont get anything in until january.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 25, 2020

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nocheez posted:

I'm originally from Ohio but I've only done Vultures Knob near Wooster. I'll be visiting my family near Akron and I'm thinking of bringing my mountain bike. Any recommendations for what I should try to hit?

Why are there so many Ohio mtb goons??

But really, East Rim (Cuyahoga Valley National Park) is the obvious answer. It's probably the best trail in northeast Ohio.
I say that having built all of the Cleveland Metroparks mtb trails.
If you're going to do one, it's East Rim.

Hampton Hills (Summit County Metroparks) is also fun and nearby.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Hypnolobster posted:

But really, East Rim (Cuyahoga Valley National Park) is the obvious answer. It's probably the best trail in northeast Ohio.

I moved to North Carolina 15 years ago like any sane Ohioan does, but all my family is in the same little town outside of Akron. If you need some suggestions in the Charlotte and Asheville areas, lemme know :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OhsH posted:

Trying to find a precaliber 24, or really any 24, front suspension fork would be a bonus but its not make or break, just trying to find something for my friends kid to come with us on the easy stuff. Sub 600$ is ideal. Also located in northern indiana, the local place wont get anything in until january.

https://www.pellobikes.com/bike-shop/reyes is prob one I'd look at but they're waiting on stock.

Rei has this?
https://www.rei.com/product/143201/co-op-cycles-rev-drt-kids-bike

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

:hfive:

A post COVID goon ride is in order!

I'm partial to Vultures Knob and the Medina systems. Rays is open early too this summer if you want to go there, but thats all indoor and would make me uncomfortable right about now.
That being said if you are short on time then East Rim is for sure the way to go for sure. Its machine cut, super fast and flowy with a touch of tech, and all the jumps can safely be cased if needed.

Hampton Hills (Summit County Metroparks) is also fun and nearby. This is a good mention for sure. West Branch too, maybe?

NE Ohio trail conditions page:
https://camba.us/wp/ride/conditions

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

OhsH posted:

Took me 6 weeks of diligent Craigslisting/FB market place scouring before I found something similar in the Philly area back in May/June. The one I got I overpaid by about $50 and I only got it because I lucked into seeing it 3 min after it was posted.

Good luck fellow goon, it's rough out there.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

h3r0n posted:

:hfive:

I'm partial to Vultures Knob and the Medina systems. Rays is open early too this summer if you want to go there, but thats all indoor and would make me uncomfortable right about now.
That being said if you are short on time then East Rim is for sure the way to go for sure. Its machine cut, super fast and flowy with a touch of tech, and all the jumps can safely be cased if needed.

Hampton Hills (Summit County Metroparks) is also fun and nearby. This is a good mention for sure. West Branch too, maybe?

NE Ohio trail conditions page:
https://camba.us/wp/ride/conditions

West Branch is for sure a great option for some deeeep old-school gnarly nonsense.
I've gained a newfound love for Ohio & Erie Canal. That's the only CMP trail I didn't have anything to do with, but it's some ridiculous gnarly garbage and it's super fun. We're currently giving it some love with much-needed corridor work and some small handwork fixes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the suggestions. NEO peeps tend to have a rep for being assholes, but we'll do anything for a complete stranger won't we?

I'm bringing my road bike to ride around with my brother, but I have space on the rack so why not?

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

West Branch is for sure a great option for some deeeep old-school gnarly nonsense.
I've gained a newfound love for Ohio & Erie Canal. That's the only CMP trail I didn't have anything to do with, but it's some ridiculous gnarly garbage and it's super fun. We're currently giving it some love with much-needed corridor work and some small handwork fixes.

OECR is good stuff, its one of the first trails I rode when I started. Sadly its almost a 45 minute drive for me now (from Medina) so I just head down to VK. I still need to make it out to Jakes Rocks....

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

h3r0n posted:

In a couple years ya

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
On a scale of 1 to 10 how amazing does an option line need to be for it to drop 200 elevation feet on a climbing trail that you'd need to climb again to get to the main event where you'd do it, its a steep wagon bed from the 1800s, probably our best features on it will be armoring and/or a rock wall ride

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

In a couple years ya

:smith:

I know. Probably longer with the way this state is handling it.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Smacked my derailleur cage on some rocks during my last ride and seem to have bent it slightly. Shifting into the two biggest rings produces a bunch of skipping and some obvious unhappiness. Any harm in trying to bend it back a little? It's a Shimano M8000 11spd if that makes any difference.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

In my experience you will have a hard time bending it back accurately enough without a hanger alignment tool (assuming it is the hanger).

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've never managed to fix a bent mech, but fixing a bent hanger is possible if it's not too bad. Worth buying a spare (fit your spare to your bike ahead of time if you carry it on the trail to check alignment) before you try as sometimes they crack as you bend them back.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's always worth having a spare hanger on you and another at home. Especially if your bike is a couple years old, getting one could take weeks.
Also spare links.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Went on a mountain bike ride yesterday. There's a trail south of town on a mountain called lolo peak that is a pretty cool and fun ride. You can even partially shuttle it because the trailhead is a couple miles up a road, but I rode my bike the ~20mi from town because of these distance and climbing things i'm doing

Look buffalos

actually Bison. Buffalo is a completely different animal

The road to the trailhead. There was a fire here in 2017. Burned like 50k acres.

Made it to the trailhead

it was this far. Or maybe more? My garmin had some sort of a recording error for the first part

The trail goes up a ways to a ridge

Some parts are still just charred dirt 3 years later

Eventually I'll be going down there

The top for me

The trail keeps going but crosses into wilderness a little past here so that's far enough. Now time for a 5k foot singletrack descent to the road

It took 33 minutes to get back down. Also, I'd added a touch of air to my shock and fork because it seemed a little soft but went too far. Should have left it, ride down was a little rougher than it needed to be.

Usually a 5k foot day would be enough for me but not during this thing. I told myself that if I got down to the bottom by about 5 I'd consider trying to go up the back way to a mountain/trail system on the south end of town. Also there's a gas station/convenience store essentially right at the bottom of this so I filled up water, got some snacks, and then went for it. I had drawn a line on a map and had that loaded on my garmin.

Am I going the right way?

How much do I trust this line?

poo poo that's still a long way and it's like 7pm now. Look close and you can see the fire lookout tower I'm going to

Mystery singletrack that seems to be going in the same general direction? Sure lets follow that for awhile

Made it to a section of open forest road that winds around the front of the mountain and then followed that to the moto trail to the top

That mountain over there is where I was. All that stuff in the middle is what I came through

Looking east and a little south you can see one of our nearby fires

Then I rode the ridge trail down, which is about a 3k continuous descent. Right now it's pretty rocky and loose due to a summer of moto traffic and the new bike handled it well. A dhf would have been nice though. Decided to get a beer as I was practically riding right by this place

Total for the day 73mi, 9700ft, 7 hours of moving time. Like I said the first part didn't record properly so this is a little shorter

https://www.strava.com/activities/3979939186

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 30, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat dude. Nice job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

jamal posted:

Total for the day 73mi, 9700ft,

I wouldn't even begin to know how to get this much in one day in Ohio. Nice work.

Does anyone have any wheelset recommendations for a 'bigger' dude. I'm ~235 in riding gear and blew out another rear hub. This was the one that came with my Pivot - SUN Ringle DUROC 29 30mm - so nothing special at all. I might just get a new rear and deal with the front when that time comes.