Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
people ITT not facin' up smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i'm so white the flash from the nuclear blast is going to reflect right off me.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Just realized this thread is in GBS. That explains all the really dumb posts.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It was GBS all along

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish posted:

It was GBS all along
GUESS YOU'VE FINALLY MADE A DOOMER
(YES WE'VE FINALLY MADE A DOOMER OUT OF HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

World War Mammories posted:

pretty sure nobody thinks humanity is going to go extinct

I totally think we're going extinct, it'll be our most impressive accomplishment

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

youre dick posted:

Every generation, or at least the last few, love to imagine themselves important in that way. Boy howdy are they going to be disappointed again when they wake up one day in 50 years and the only changes of note are another 17 varieties of doritos and some sort of instantaneous delivery service for said doritos

Or more likely, one kind of dorito and 17 delivery services

Furcht
May 31, 2015

I can now say in certitude that you are a stupid newbie.

A Smartie Veteran® would accept the glittering phalii for the gifts that they are.

That's okay though, we all started as noobs.

Dont Touch ME posted:

In the last century there were two global wars, with an intermission consisting of widespread civil wars and a plague that killed 25% of the world's population. The second one ended in usage of nuclear weapons and the wind down was 50 years of imminent nuclear annihilation, and among other things, literal mind control experiments.

And prior to the century you're referring to we (humanity) had already begun terraforming this planet, via anthropogenic emissions, your argument is disingenuous at best.... Please quote the poster that said "the end is tomorrow". You can't because you're projecting that rhetoric hard onto the posters itt, no one has said that. Climate Change is a slow lovely burn with its ramifications already felt globally and continuing to worsen.

I'm curious to know how you expect humanity to survive after we've killed of the entire bio-sphere, you know the thing that harbours all life. I mean climate change isn't even the sole driver of the bio-sphere collapse, although it does contribute substantially.

https://eur03.safelinks.protection....8%3D&reserved=0

quote:

Human actions threaten more species with global extinction now than ever before. Suggesting that around 1 million species already face extinction, many within decades, unless action is taken to reduce the intensity of drivers of biodiversity loss.

And the IPBES like the IPCC is forever proven to be exceptionally conservative. At this point considering how much peer reviewed literature there is, which I can't be bothered to post or hand hold you through. I have to consider your viewpoint wilful ignorance, which if an attempt to protect your mental health then sure go nuts, but coming into a thread like this and calling everyone "soft" and "naïve" just shows how little you know.

youre dick posted:

Yeah i've tuned it out because we keep getting dire predictions that don't come anywhere near true.

Yeah, it's always worse...

sure okay posted:

Lmao if you think climate change will kill more than, say, 4 billion people. Just lmao if you dont think humanity wont just trudge forward after that.

Some people have no idea how hard it is to do a full wipeout.

Humanity knows how to do it and we're full steam ahead atm.

Some people have no idea how to understand climate system dynamics.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
nah it's fine, we'll build huge domes to live in and we'll keep the good climate inside and the bad climate outside

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The world is going to blow up on Friday

*looks out the window on Tuesday*

Pfft, yeah right.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

honestly dont worry we'll turn this around any day now

https://twitter.com/CarbonBrief/status/1211631520760221696

aaaaany day now..

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

honestly dont worry we'll turn this around any day now

https://twitter.com/CarbonBrief/status/1211631520760221696

aaaaany day now..

UNEP? more like UNEPT!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
hehehe

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
im so smart

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The dudes who spent the 00s smirking about the irrational xtians with their invisible sky wizard becoming the modern day flagellates who spend all day self-inflicting panic and pain from behind their keyboards because of the incredible isolation and hopelessness that having no faith or community and nothing bigger than yourself to believe in actually makes a lot of sense.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Fartbox posted:

An asteroid might end all life on earth, but God will spray his seed over this planet and humanity will be born again

The aging sun won't give earth enough time to re-evolve complex life if that happened!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Your posts aren't showing up you oughta post harder sleeves

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

No lie I will go gay for pay in the apocalypse. If you need a blowie, cough up some of your neighbor's molars.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
tons of religious groups have been wrong in the past plus there hasnt been a massive nuclear exchange, therefor climate change isnt real

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
One of the few upsides of Covid is that it finally put a bullet in the back of the head of the idea that lunatic paramilitary survivalists would in any way be the ones running the show after the collapse of society because they can't even wear a paper mask without throwing a temper tantrum. The dude who killed Bin Laden is literally asking to speak with the manager and the people who worship him are blowing their dicks off by accident trying to get Facebook likes, and this is less than six months in with the full comfort of modern living.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I can't wait for Sweden to get flooded when all the ice in the world melts. I've already constructed a gigantic submarine capable of harboring myself and multiple moose... mooses?

We will simply live on the submarine thereafter, me and my mooses

It'll be like Noahs ark, but only for moose

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Meeses.
Also, username, post, etc.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Protip to all the "Armageddon isn't literally upon us, I am very intelligent" types, people don't actually think the human race is on the verge of extinction, they're just using gallows humor to cope with the fact that various ecological and political forces are about to/have begun making the standard of living they've been enjoying substantially worse.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I literally believe that drought, famine, and societal collapse are something that anyone under 50 should expect to experience in their lifetime and that said collapse has a not insignificant chance of spiraling out of control until humanity is in a situation where it may well face extinction. We are in a great deal of peril right now.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why would you even care about humanity extinction or anything else really if it happens outside your lifetime.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Dont Touch ME posted:

Y'all are soft as gently caress. I guess this is the inevitable conclusion of screeching like a banshee over absolutely loving nothing. It becomes inevitable that when there's even the slightest bump of something not great, the screeching intensifies 10 fold.

In the last century there were two global wars, with an intermission consisting of widespread civil wars and a plague that killed 25% of the world's population. The second one ended in usage of nuclear weapons and the wind down was 50 years of imminent nuclear annihilation , and among other things, literal mind control experiments.

But you're all so soft, and you're being stuffed full of outrage content in both holes that when the geosociological temp goes up a degree you interpret it as the end times. The thought of your cushy life being interrupted only means your imminent demise.

Feel free to leave all your worldly possessions to me :)

Lmao you naïve little baby. Australia and Europe used to be sprawling jungles. North Africa used to look like Europe. It takes a lot more than some natural disasters and things getting hot to kill people off.

Yo but it didn’t happen over the course of a century or two did it, dipshit?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Jakabite posted:

Add an insult because that's how you make your point stronger.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Furcht posted:

And prior to the century you're referring to we (humanity) had already begun terraforming this planet, via anthropogenic emissions, your argument is disingenuous at best.... Please quote the poster that said "the end is tomorrow". You can't because you're projecting that rhetoric hard onto the posters itt, no one has said that. Climate Change is a slow lovely burn with its ramifications already felt globally and continuing to worsen.

I'm curious to know how you expect humanity to survive after we've killed of the entire bio-sphere, you know the thing that harbours all life. I mean climate change isn't even the sole driver of the bio-sphere collapse, although it does contribute substantially.

RTFT agitprop dipshit. You're spending a lot of effort to assert yourself as some kind of scientific authority, which clashes with your pseudoscientific scare mongering you've ripped straight from twitter. The idea that even a universal 30C increase in temperatures across the global climate would "wipe out the biosphere" is exactly the kind of hyperexaggerated nonsense that makes people laugh at you. Some real 呵呵 poo poo. You clearly don't know the first thing about biological stress, let alone the macroscopic ecological stress. Cut the bullshit, twitterbrain.

You're screaming and grasping at the reeds as you're getting sucked into the bog, lmao. Very typical scene for those of your deathcult when forced to reconcile that your beliefs are dumb bullshit for depressed terminally-online nerds.

Jakabite posted:

What the gently caress are you even trying to say? Using dummy pronouns to reply to a broad spectrum of clauses is profoundly stupid.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dont Touch ME posted:

RTFT agitprop dipshit. You're spending a lot of effort to assert yourself as some kind of scientific authority, which clashes with your pseudoscientific scare mongering you've ripped straight from twitter. The idea that even a universal 30C increase in temperatures across the global climate would "wipe out the biosphere" is exactly the kind of hyperexaggerated nonsense that makes people laugh at you. Some real 呵呵 poo poo. You clearly don't know the first thing about biological stress, let alone the macroscopic ecological stress. Cut the bullshit, twitterbrain.

You're screaming and grasping at the reeds as you're getting sucked into the bog, lmao. Very typical scene for those of your deathcult when forced to reconcile that your beliefs are dumb bullshit for depressed terminally-online nerds.

Hey.

Hi.

What's your point? That global warming, climate change, and the stressors that it will place on society as we know it won't be impactful?

You're using this as yet ANOTHER reason to scream at people for being stupid, full of bullshit, and nerds, yet you post daily, and are always around, and constantly told you yourself are the one full of poo poo. Dude. Great. What do you want to hear? That actually, you're right, global warming is good now and we were wrong, thanks for letting us know? Because if that's what it takes to get you to gently caress off, then just imagine I'm saying it.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Fartbox posted:

I can't wait for Sweden to get flooded when all the ice in the world melts. I've already constructed a gigantic submarine capable of harboring myself and multiple moose... mooses?

Spotted the moose fucker

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
how do i sign up to the death cult?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fartbox posted:

If this guy asks you to go on a test ride in his submarine, do not accept, especially if you are a female journalist

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Strumpie posted:

good news! you're already in one if you seek/use dollars on a daily basis

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
new climate change deniers are so Xtreme. didnt you know climate change is just a twitter death cult hoax

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I was replying to the part about this not being a once in a planet event. To imply it isn’t because the climate has changed before but at a rate orders of magnitude slower is a dipshit opinion.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Dont Touch ME posted:

uh, 30C is a typo and you meant 3, right?

arguing that 3C wouldn't be devastating for the biosphere and therefore modern civilization is also incorrect, but I'm just trying to gauge the magnitude here

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Strumpie posted:

The RNC is on all week. Watch, donate and vote.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Strumpie posted:

Follow the smell, not the signage

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Anything less than constant prodromal chanting about drowning in boiling sea water is climate change denialism, five golden crocoducks for all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

Anything less than constant prodromal chanting about drowning in boiling sea water is climate change denialism, five golden crocoducks for all of you.