Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

And Tyler Too! posted:

Basically Ardyn believed he could cure the starscourge but in actuality is soaking it up like a sponge, which eventually corrupts him. Cue getting rejected by the crystal and centuries of emotional turmoil later we get the Ardyn we all know and love.

Right but Shiva gave him that ability, no? Why do that just to shun him for using it?

E: Also Luna has the same ability. Does it not corrupt her as well?

PhoenixFlaccus fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Me before playing FF14: "Wow, that's some neat design to make that bit of landscape/building look like a creature."
Me during FF14: "...yup, that's a Primal. Gonna stab that in whatever passes for a face later."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That said, the big pile of corrupted crystals on the Thanalan/Gridania border looks like a dragon from the right angle, and if it turns into a boss fight later my guildmates did a very good job of pretending to be surprised when I pointed it out. I think that's where the Third Coil of Bahamut is? Haven't gotten through Second yet.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Right but Shiva gave him that ability, no? Why do that just to shun him for using it?

E: Also Luna has the same ability. Does it not corrupt her as well?

Hell if I know. Gods are dumb. As for Luna I think she can cure it for real, but who knows?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
FF15 is pure garbage. I'd rather play FF3DS

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I didn't find FF3DS particularly objectionable.

I even got stuck in the final dungeon being severely underleveled to beat the CoD and had to grind using MP-neutral attacks for an hour lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF15’s combat was forgettable enough I literally did not remember you have weapons that aren’t the swords. Also they added in the ability to play as the bros much later, after I did everything I wanted to in the game which would have been a nice change of pace

But I do actually really like the English VO. I’ve come up with a new receipehhh

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bruceski posted:

That said, the big pile of corrupted crystals on the Thanalan/Gridania border looks like a dragon from the right angle, and if it turns into a boss fight later my guildmates did a very good job of pretending to be surprised when I pointed it out. I think that's where the Third Coil of Bahamut is? Haven't gotten through Second yet.

Keep in mind the Crystallized Aether from Bahamut is also in lots of other places as well (Pharos Sirius has a huge spike of it too)

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Party Boat posted:

I guarantee this thread's been linked itt before but it's a great breakdown of how the VS team pulled off such an incredible looking game on the PS1

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1226610123000467457?s=19

Faking real time lighting on the models by having a second brighter model slightly offset from the main one is genius

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Party Boat posted:

I guarantee this thread's been linked itt before but it's a great breakdown of how the VS team pulled off such an incredible looking game on the PS1

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1226610123000467457?s=19

I don't think this was linked before, but this certainly was a great read! It's pretty cool that Kojima himself had great respect for Vagrant Story and Matsuno.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Party Boat posted:

gently caress yeah.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I remember liking Vagrant Story when playing it on the PSP, but I didn't pay too much attention to the weapon augmentation system and ended up getting stuck on that goddamn chicken boss because the only weapon I had that did the elemental damage was way too slow I didn't want to go respeccing a different one so I just gave up.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it came out to the Switch though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you never need to respec weapons or mess with elements because your primary damage and defense comes from the item's raw stats. increasing your elemental affinity will boost your damage by a proportion. so if you're doing 2-4 damage with a lovely stock weapon that you got out of a chest, maximizing your type affinities isn't really going to change anything.

what's important is learning the forging tree, which is actually a really straightforward FORMULA but hard to understand if you don't know the game from inside out:

sword lv. n + sword lv. n+1 = sword lv. n+2

and this works for everything, whether it's a sword, a bowgun, or just shoes.

but then, how are you supposed to know that Shortsword + Raiper = Longsword, and Rapier + Longsword = Knightsword? let alone that Shortsword is lv1 and Rapier is lv2. even if you guess it through luck or experimentation (the latter of which you probably won't have the luxury of), the forge preview isn't very helpful. you can see what enemies are equipped with, and they'll have like a 1/16~256 drop chance that rolls for each individual thing they're wearing on death, but that takes knowledge of the system to start with plus the patience to wait through the long menu load times as you scan each enemy.

so each of these upgrades is increasing your raw damage output by about 2-4 per tier, kind of based on the metal type, and there's 15 tiers of equipment, but you won't ACTUALLY be able to see the cumulative effect on your damage and your defenses for quite some time.

you can even paintstakingly grind enemies at the beginning of the game to get enough Shortswords and Rapiers to make the top-tier sword (in bronze) but this would probably take an unreasonable amount of time, and you aren't likely to know which enemies drop them, let alone that they CAN if it's your first time through. i brute forced it with chain attacks when i was a kid, but later i learned how everything worked and it turns out that you get pretty much everything you need to keep up with the enemy power curve out of chests provided you understand the crafting system and are willing to grind two or three pieces in the middle of the game.

edged/blunt/piercing damage typing? who gives a poo poo! the only thing that matters is your equipment's raw atk/def/spd. in your first playthrough you can make armor that's strong enough to reduce the final boss's ultimate attack, which normally does more damage than you can have HP at that point if you're wearing found armor and no shield, to double digits. in order to do this, you only have to grind like one specific chest piece and one particular glove, and can get everything else out of chests.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 24, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I did it! My Spring/Summer of Final Fantasy is over. I just beat 9 two months after having finished 8. I started in March with FF6, which took me through May, where I picked up 7 and then 8 which lasted all of June.

I'd probably rank it over 8, with a couple of caveats. 8 has the better soundtrack. 8 has the best soundtrack of the PS games. 8 is also far more ambitious in terms of gameplay. I actually found 9 a bit boring to play. Needing items for abilities doesn't work because you gain such little AP at a time, that you're often poorly equipped just to learn a skill. They did this ok with some characters and items (Quina and his forks), but not always. 9 lacks in the customization present in 7 and 8, and ends up being kind of boring with you just spamming your best move. I realize it's similar in the other two, but I feel like you had options insofar what you wanted that best move to be. 9 also is slow as molasses. You move slow, battles take ages to being and eventually resolve, it's slow slow slow. I had to stop at disc 3 because I had just lost my patience (blame playing 8 just before it for causing this too).

Still despite the mediocrity of its gameplay and its speed, 9 has a good story and a great cast of characters. Not as good as 7's I think, but certainly better than the idiotic story/cast present in 8. Vivi is terrific and I really liked Eiko and Freya. Zidane's story gets real interesting towards the end and I didn't even mind the romance with Dagger. I didn't like Steiner and Amarant is 8-esque in his badness, but unfortunately he's actually a really useful character in battles. I think my favorite thing in 9 were the mini-games and sidequests. It made the world feel more alive than any of the previous ones because there's just so many things happening constantly in the background. It's clear that was at the forefront when the first thing you can unnecessarily do is jump-rope pretty much at the very beginning of the game. 8 had a very cool and large world, but it didn't feel as lively. 7 is pretty empty when it comes down it.

So yeah, it's a good game, and I'm glad I played it. I may have trouble re-playing it because it's just not that fun, but it's definitely worth experiencing once. Experience is the right word too, because whereas in 7 I felt more involved with the cast, like you do in 6, 9 is really a presentation of a story, not unlike the plays it uses to bookend the game.

I can now move on to X and X2, but that'll be next summer. I need a break.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ardyn is the hero of FFXV

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Ardyn is the hero of FFXV

Yeah he is.

First he tries to sacrifice himself by sucking up all the bad within himself. Remember, the stupid sword dragons plan B was to sacrifice one his heirs. When the same dragon jerk decides no that's not what I want, Ardyn becomes the dapper villain we all know and love. He then waits patiently until the chosen one comes, is a giant jerk to him, and gets a bunch of swords shoved in him. Ardyn wanted noctis to win that's why he kept screwing with him.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I never got around to playing Vagrant Story but loving hell it looks unbelievable and blows MGS out of the water. Yeah, MGS had like 8000 hours of dialogue and they're both stylized as hell (I like the way MGS looks), but it's pretty remarkable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

I never got around to playing Vagrant Story but loving hell it looks unbelievable and blows MGS out of the water. Yeah, MGS had like 8000 hours of dialogue and they're both stylized as hell (I like the way MGS looks), but it's pretty remarkable.

Yeah, it's in the category of "mind-blowing games that got overlooked."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

To be fair the actual gameplay of VS is pretty slow paced and its systems are either poorly or outright inaccurately explained in game so it's not really a surprise it wasnt an MGS style hit.

The front page (lol) of this very website has an Awful Game review of it that's very... 2002 SA.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh yeah definitely. There's a REASON it's overlooked.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tired: MomBomb
Wired: MILFBomb

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
BILF

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bomb I'd Like to Firaga?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

zenguitarman posted:

VS is a good game but its not even in the same stratosphere as MGS.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Are people going to play Crystal Chronicles?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'll try, but of course its coming out the day AFTER my day off this week :mad:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

.... You ever worry about overselling it a bit?

Copy on the box changed, too. “Stereo Q sound”, huh?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Last night finished the final fight in the current recent arc in FF14 and drat it made my jaded rear end smile.

Also props to one of the two Healers who broke out the limit break when the party almost wiped at 10% of the boss HP. That was one of the most dramatic comebacks I've seen in the game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Friends, I got pastel pink dye. Soon I will look like Lightning, as God intended.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yoshi P I demand a separate satchel for dyes and another for materia already.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

To be fair the actual gameplay of VS is pretty slow paced and its systems are either poorly or outright inaccurately explained in game so it's not really a surprise it wasnt an MGS style hit.

The front page (lol) of this very website has an Awful Game review of it that's very... 2002 SA.

Is it trying very hard to be seanbaby and failing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are people going to play Crystal Chronicles?

hell yeah I am

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yoshi P I demand a separate satchel for dyes and another for materia already.

Chocobo Saddle Bag

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1298306782608207872

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The White Dragon posted:

you never need to respec weapons or mess with elements because your primary damage and defense comes from the item's raw stats. increasing your elemental affinity will boost your damage by a proportion. so if you're doing 2-4 damage with a lovely stock weapon that you got out of a chest, maximizing your type affinities isn't really going to change anything.

what's important is learning the forging tree, which is actually a really straightforward FORMULA but hard to understand if you don't know the game from inside out:

sword lv. n + sword lv. n+1 = sword lv. n+2

and this works for everything, whether it's a sword, a bowgun, or just shoes.

but then, how are you supposed to know that Shortsword + Raiper = Longsword, and Rapier + Longsword = Knightsword? let alone that Shortsword is lv1 and Rapier is lv2. even if you guess it through luck or experimentation (the latter of which you probably won't have the luxury of), the forge preview isn't very helpful. you can see what enemies are equipped with, and they'll have like a 1/16~256 drop chance that rolls for each individual thing they're wearing on death, but that takes knowledge of the system to start with plus the patience to wait through the long menu load times as you scan each enemy.

so each of these upgrades is increasing your raw damage output by about 2-4 per tier, kind of based on the metal type, and there's 15 tiers of equipment, but you won't ACTUALLY be able to see the cumulative effect on your damage and your defenses for quite some time.

you can even paintstakingly grind enemies at the beginning of the game to get enough Shortswords and Rapiers to make the top-tier sword (in bronze) but this would probably take an unreasonable amount of time, and you aren't likely to know which enemies drop them, let alone that they CAN if it's your first time through. i brute forced it with chain attacks when i was a kid, but later i learned how everything worked and it turns out that you get pretty much everything you need to keep up with the enemy power curve out of chests provided you understand the crafting system and are willing to grind two or three pieces in the middle of the game.

edged/blunt/piercing damage typing? who gives a poo poo! the only thing that matters is your equipment's raw atk/def/spd. in your first playthrough you can make armor that's strong enough to reduce the final boss's ultimate attack, which normally does more damage than you can have HP at that point if you're wearing found armor and no shield, to double digits. in order to do this, you only have to grind like one specific chest piece and one particular glove, and can get everything else out of chests.

Is there a longer write up on this anywhere? I've been meaning to return to Vagrant Story and being able to exploit the crafting system would make me much more inclined to do so.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Party Boat posted:

Is there a longer write up on this anywhere? I've been meaning to return to Vagrant Story and being able to exploit the crafting system would make me much more inclined to do so.

there isn't a longer write-up per se but everything i learned about the crafting system is basically distilled from old Perfect Ultimate Armor guides off gamefaqs: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/914326-vagrant-story/faqs/24608

as for recipes, this is an exhaustive combination list that's probably >95% accurate: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/914326-vagrant-story/faqs/8485

the perfect armor guide goes in depth into inherited resistance values (this being the reason long-term crafted armors are strictly superior to treasure box or dropped armors), but the upgrade-to-upgrade gains are so marginal that you shouldn't really worry about them too much aside from knowing that cumulatively they'll be a substantial boost.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 25, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Chocobo Saddle Bag

It's already drat full. We need more.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Did they say how the lantern would work in Crystal Chronicles? Does someone still have bitch duty to carry it around?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God I hope so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

someone still has to carry the chalice
I think they might’ve increased the walking speed while carrying it a bit?