Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

a first is too much for this, JR retire binch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

Toronto lost this year's 1st in the Marleau deal.

yes, so it would be good to replace that with pittsburgh's 15th oa pick.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

yes, so it would be good to replace that with pittsburgh's 15th oa pick.

Yeah I got mixed up on who's first you meant.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
A first seems fine for a good young player on an affordable contract. The Pens are still win now, so that first isn't gonna help them early enough to contend with Crosby and Malkin.

They're gonna have a Detroit level collapse once Crosby and Malkin get too old but that was always gonna happen anyways so

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Real_RobRossi/status/1298288424944893954

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ok, getting the 1st this year and Hallander on top is a lot better than I expected. Take it and run.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

leafs have halved their roster's pignoses and for that i mourn

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I could have sworn that Kasperi Kapanen started with the Pens but I'm positive that is some kind of issue with my broke rear end brain.

Also I thought Rodrigues looked good in the limited time I saw him but I'm not a fancy stats nerd. I'm a lot of kinds of nerd but that isn't one of them.

Call Your Grandma posted:

leafs have halved their roster's pignoses and for that i mourn

I wonder what Tyler Kennedy is up to these days

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Not often you are five throw-ins in a trade.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah I don’t mind this, if the Leafs aren’t going to subtract from the big 4 then Kapanen/Johnsson were the only guys they could move for space, and Johnsson didn’t play because of multiple injuries. Johnsson should have been moved at the draft last year imo.

All the best to Kappy, he’s got all the tools but couldn’t put it together consistently. Would have liked to keep him or at the very least get a defenseman out of the deal but a good pick and space works.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

I could have sworn that Kasperi Kapanen started with the Pens but I'm positive that is some kind of issue with my broke rear end brain.

They drafted him, he was part of the Kessel trade

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The round one pick and a bunch of stuff seems more than fair.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Pens have what? Three good years left from Sid and Geno maybe? They got a decent middle six forward for a mid round pick. That's a good trade.

They should just totally mortgage the future in pursuit of a final cup at this point. The options are: clear the farm for one last chance and then crater super hard or don't and crater slightly less hard. It's not really a tough decision imo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crosby's AI systems won't let him shut down until he's hit some kind of 87 related milestone.

And Malkin can't quit until the witches curse than turned him into an ogre is broken.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think Kappy can do real damage on Malkin/Sid’s wing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

The Pens have what? Three good years left from Sid and Geno maybe? They got a decent middle six forward for a mid round pick. That's a good trade.

They should just totally mortgage the future in pursuit of a final cup at this point. The options are: clear the farm for one last chance and then crater super hard or don't and crater slightly less hard. It's not really a tough decision imo.

One of the Pens Athletic writers who does a lot of analytics stuff seems really down on this trade. He's pretty high on the draft this year, though, and he liked Hallander.

My opinion is basically yours. 15th overall picks are not going to stop the decline. Just go all in for a few years. When the bottom falls out (and oh will it ever), they can start keeping the picks and rebuilding at that point.

But for now, go for one more cup. The core might have that in them. Crosby and Malkin should be very good players for 3-4 years more. Maximize those years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I made a very dumb thing in 30 seconds for everyone for current and future trade reactions

enjoy

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I...like this deal? I like Kapanen, but I am kind of worried his development stalled after this past season. And, it was either going to be him or Johansson, so just spin the wheel, I guess? The Leafs get a good pick in a deep draft, plus a prospect who Pronman thinks has a chance in the NHL. Who knows if that happens. Plus, cap space.

Pittsburgh get a guy who has his issues, but who I could see playing in their top-6.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

One of the Pens Athletic writers who does a lot of analytics stuff seems really down on this trade. He's pretty high on the draft this year, though, and he liked Hallander.

They got a good player and it cost them nothing off their roster. If ever there was a win now situation, it's the Pens today. There's nothing to lose by going all in at this point. They can't do a rebuild in the time they have left with Sid and Geno. Just ride it out and see what happened. Disappointing play in round aside, they were still a very good team this year.

One or two more trades (maybe someone superfluous like Rust or Zucker) for a defenceman and they're right back near the top of the East next year. I like their chances as much as anyone else.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I feel like as cap space creation trades go, Toronto could have done far worse in that situation.

It's not a world-beating deal for pittsburgh but they're still on their push to get one more cup before sidney and geno die, so hey go for it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kapanen for 15 and some AHL side action seems alright

Better hope Kapanen produces

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Holy poo poo 15th overall for Kapanen is a huge get, good job Kyle.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

They got a good player and it cost them nothing off their roster. If ever there was a win now situation, it's the Pens today. There's nothing to lose by going all in at this point. They can't do a rebuild in the time they have left with Sid and Geno. Just ride it out and see what happened. Disappointing play in round aside, they were still a very good team this year.

One or two more trades (maybe someone superfluous like Rust or Zucker) for a defenceman and they're right back near the top of the East next year. I like their chances as much as anyone else.

Yeah, there's no point in rebuilding while Crosby and Malkin are still productive players too. They also have no first round pick next year (it's going to Minnesota) so just go for it now and deal with the consequences later.

I'd rather have the bottom fall out hard when they do start to suck again anyways. Being a middling team is no place to be. Go hard for Cups, and then suck utter rear end for a few years and start the cycle again. The Pittsburgh Penguins way baby.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Though there had to be more productive players the Pens could have gotten for 15 OA

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Yeah, if you have Crosby and Malkin, especially in their early-30s, you still want to see how long this ride goes for. The future is great and all, but these guys are still top players in the league.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I can't help but feel Sid is one head shot away from retirement.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

I...like this deal? I like Kapanen, but I am kind of worried his development stalled after this past season. And, it was either going to be him or Johansson, so just spin the wheel, I guess?

Johnsson should go too. He's superfluous, but I doubt anyone is dumb enough to give anything of value for him given his injuries, inconsistency and dumbass penalties.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Drunk Canuck posted:

Holy poo poo 15th overall for Kapanen is a huge get, good job Kyle.

There’s going to be really good prospects available until like 25, this draft is stacked imo

Wonder who is getting shipped out of Pittsburgh for a defenseman?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s definitely prospect clutching when some writer is losing their minds over a draft pick and bottom six prospect for a 20 goal threat just entering their prime. Crosby and Malkin have five years max, the Pens cannot be thinking about the pipeline.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Though there had to be more productive players the Pens could have gotten for 15 OA

I'm not sure there is. Kapanen is 24, is a 40-50pt guy and signed at a good rate long term. There aren't too many examples of a mid 1st round pick being moved for a boneafide top six scorer. Recently its been just guys like Ryan Hartman, Jason Zucker and JG Pageau. Some have evolved into that subsequently like JT Miller but usually guys with term cost a pretty penny.

Teams have faired a bit better moving first round picks at the deadline for decent scorers like Hayes and Kane but they were rentals with no guarantees of sticking around.

If you want a guy who's not a flight risk at the end of a season, a first isn't going to get you much more than a spare part middle six type.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Koopa Kid posted:

They drafted him, he was part of the Kessel trade

You have no idea how happy this made me, that I didn't make it up.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

There’s going to be really good prospects available until like 25, this draft is stacked imo

Wonder who is getting shipped out of Pittsburgh for a defenseman?

Schultz is gone, but JJ is probably staying.

One of Matt Murray or Tristan Jarry is going to get dealt. Chances are it will be Murray because he's going to have bigger contract demands and he also seems like he could use a change of scenery since his play has been trending the wrong the past few years. The question is, what sort of value does MM even have at this point. He's still a young goalie who won two Cups and has had some elite stretches of play. There are some teams desperate for goaltending. Will some team pay a lot for him? I dunno. Even in the best of times goalies never seem to generate a lot of assets or interest around the league.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I...like this deal? I like Kapanen, but I am kind of worried his development stalled after this past season. And, it was either going to be him or Johansson, so just spin the wheel, I guess? The Leafs get a good pick in a deep draft, plus a prospect who Pronman thinks has a chance in the NHL. Who knows if that happens. Plus, cap space.

Pittsburgh get a guy who has his issues, but who I could see playing in their top-6.

In a vacuum, I’d much rather have Kap than Johnsson, but Johnsson doesn’t get a first+ back so whatever. Even if he’s stalled out, 15-20 goals/40ish points as a floor for probably the next 5 years is a guy that can be an asset on a good team. Leafs are probably going to be playing this game for awhile though. Develop guys into 2nd/3rd line dudes and deal them when they start to get paid for picks that can be turned into the next batch of guys for cheap. Sucks for fans to see the favourites churn, but if the team has faith they can replace Kap/Johnsson level guys (and so far they seem able to at forward) it’s a viable plan.

Now they just have to figure out the defenceman part of the plan.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1298305289578582020

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
I don't hate this trade, I liked it a lot more when I thought the Pens got Liljegren instead of Lindgren though.

Bright side is that they still can move Muzz for some more blue line help that will get scratched so Johnson can play.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Schultz is gone, but JJ is probably staying.

One of Matt Murray or Tristan Jarry is going to get dealt. Chances are it will be Murray because he's going to have bigger contract demands and he also seems like he could use a change of scenery since his play has been trending the wrong the past few years. The question is, what sort of value does MM even have at this point. He's still a young goalie who won two Cups and has had some elite stretches of play. There are some teams desperate for goaltending. Will some team pay a lot for him? I dunno. Even in the best of times goalies never seem to generate a lot of assets or interest around the league.

Yeah Schultz I don't see being around and some team will probably overpay for. I feel like he's unfortunately been Ryan Whitney'd with injuries the past few years and he's basically done now.

I've liked what I've seen of McCann if he comes back cheap. I don't really feel down on Murray but if he wants the big bux I'm fine with him going elsewhere.

Offseason will definitely be interesting either way though.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

That was awesome. The NHL needs to stop fining coaches for being cool.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ThinkTank posted:

I'm not sure there is. Kapanen is 24, is a 40-50pt guy and signed at a good rate long term. There aren't too many examples of a mid 1st round pick being moved for a boneafide top six scorer. Recently its been just guys like Ryan Hartman, Jason Zucker and JG Pageau. Some have evolved into that subsequently like JT Miller but usually guys with term cost a pretty penny.

Miller was a good top six player with the Rangers, they moved him primarily cuz they didn't want to pay him what he was gonna want and he also quit on the team in a shameful way when they announced the rebuild (well, I dunno if that last part is true but it was plainly visible that he gave up). He's also always had some "maturity issues" but good on him for figuring it out in a great situation in Vancouver. He was still a guy who put up 56 and 58 points in consecutive years before his full season in Tampa where he kinda disappointed, and he wasn't getting top minutes with the teams most talented players either (in NY)

That's all to say, people act like Miller was this disappointing guy who was doing nothing until he got to Vancouver...but he always flashed a lot of skill, he already had a solid track record of being a top six scoring threat, and he got it together to have a great season playing with talented players on the Canucks.

not that there's any point to me saying this.

It's hilarious they can fine a coach more for this poo poo than they can fine a player for deliberately injuring another player

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's part of his job and he knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Someone please have GM JR take a cognitive test tyia.