Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

While the blame lies with the idiots flying these things and not taking it seriously, some blame has to lay with Icon for marketing this as a sky car you can fly around for fun. Do you have to broadcast anything over the radio when taking off from a lake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Man I had no idea that it was an Icon Halladay died in (RIP), that's crazy.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cojawfee posted:

While the blame lies with the idiots flying these things and not taking it seriously, some blame has to lay with Icon for marketing this as a sky car you can fly around for fun.

Blame or credit? Seems like if ppl are gonna off themselves in a vehicle on a drug bender doing it in an Icon over the Gulf of Mexico is probably better than a Ferrari on an interstate?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, re: DX11 and scaling past four cores: that should just be for stuff bound to the graphics loop, right? Like, this Sim has a relatively intense fluid simulation for the air mass and its interactions with the plane for the flight model, that should take up a chunk of CPU and not necessarily be bound to the DX core limits, right? Or is that just not a major computational factor compared to the graphics loop.

mmkay posted:

Well then maybe it was the 2004 update that did it. Previously I had to wait a minute or two after hitting Ready to Fly, before any button presses were even recognized.

Oh hardware accelerated GPU scheduling is a major change, maybe the biggest change to the driver model since Vista basically rebuilt the graphics driver system ground up. Article about it from Microsoft. They just need to make it so only people willing to have possible bugs turn it on.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 26, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
JayzTwoCents did a video on getting some extra FPS in MSFS. Some may find it helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVhyOZaUcU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't realize the A5 is the Roy Halliday plane. Man :smith:

I didn't know this until I told my dad that I was really enjoying flying it, it seemed really user friendly, and he shamed me for enjoying it when someone died flying it.
:thunk:

Do we have an Goon OnAir airline?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I didn't know this until I told my dad that I was really enjoying flying it, it seemed really user friendly, and he shamed me for enjoying it when someone died flying it.

Do we have an Goon OnAir airline?

I mean by that logic what are we supposed to fly.

Also yea, the OnAir thread is in PGS;

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937349

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Alternatively why should you be expected to show more concern for the guy's life than he showed himself?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

GreatGreen posted:

Ok I was wondering what was going on. Makes sense.

Logitech greatly improved the QC, though. Go with theirs, the grey one.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

drat, I thought my machine was doing better today but FS2020 still bringing it to 1-5 fps at the airport with the x cub. unplayable :( I have 4ghz 4 core cpu and it's pegged at 100%

Sorry if you've posted previously, but what have you tried?

Turn down the CPU related options as per this guide:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-8-18-2020/132407

Mostly level of detail stuff

Turn on dev mode and enable the FPS display - lower CPU related stuff until the GPU is the bottleneck. Probably goes without saying but make sure you're not running anything else that might be taking up some CPU. Also give the hardware accelerated GPU scheduler option a try. Disable all realtime/AI traffic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I tried the hardware accelerated whatever setting for a bit. It didn't do anything for me and in fact made things worse because I couldn't get any videos to play at the same time as I was playing a game. I like to watch videos while flying or while doing trackmania and that setting caused constant stuttering. Turned it off and restarted and that problem went away.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

piratepilates posted:

Landing on tiny island airports is so scary. Such an odd feeling looking around and seeing nothing but endless ocean, and then a tiny island with a runway right at sea level on it. Just landed at Cat Cay Airport (MYCC) off of the coast of Florida, the runway begins with the water and ends with the water, you better not come in too low or you'll just descend right in to the ocean :stare:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...9.2750646?hl=en

I was just there for an OnAir mission and felt like I was landing on an aircraft carrier. I loaded up my 208b caravan with 13 passengers that barely made it out of there:
https://gfycat.com/incompatibleimmaterialindianelephant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ok so yeah that second video is 110% pilot error. There is absolutely nothing in it that indicates that the aircraft was unsafe, unpredictable, or anything like that. I am not a seaplane pilot (though I want to get that rating next) but the pilot is taking off on a choppy, gusty day, appears to have trouble with the transition from displacement to planing over the water, appears to have trouble with crosswind control, appears to run out of space to take off, turns through 270 degrees in the run -- meaning that at least part of it was with a tailwind, then climbs at an improper angle and airspeed and very obviously stalls the plane while flying over some trees. In flight training you have stall recovery drilled into you until the motions are automatic: hear the horn, push forwards, full throttle. The A5 even has an angle-of-attack indicator front and center and the guy still stalled

The correct decision here was probably "the day is nasty and stormy, I'm not going to fly at all" but he screwed up at least three or four more times even before the stall got him. Even the stall might have been recoverable if he'd been turning back over the lake instead of target-fixated on the trees and pulling up to try to get over them.

Also lol @ the end of the video where they talk about Icon's guideline of not flying less than 300 feet while "The FAA typically recommends flying 500 feet or higher." That's not a recommendation -- that is the legal minimum ground clearance required all all times, in all airspace, including uncontrolled class G, unless you are in the process of taking off or landing.

e: that looks like a lot of flaps for takeoff too. idk what's recommended for the A5 though.

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have to broadcast anything over the radio when taking off from a lake?

No, unless it's one of the very rare seaplane bases with a control tower.

(three kinds here: blue anchor with tick marks is controlled and has fuel, red with tick marks is uncontrolled and has fuel, red anchor alone is uncontrolled, no fuel or services, meaning it's just a dock i guess??)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 26, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

No, unless it's one of the very rare seaplane bases with a control tower.

So basically idiots can buy this plane and think that they can whip it around a lake and impress their friends and there's nothing in the process of taking off that would require them to remember that this is a serious undertaking.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cojawfee posted:

So basically idiots can buy this plane and think that they can whip it around a lake and impress their friends and there's nothing in the process of taking off that would require them to remember that this is a serious undertaking.

Except for cross winds and pine trees.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s the same poo poo at the thousands of untowered airports far away from any serious airspace

Bad pilots gonna pilot badly

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Man I'm loving done with the IFR ATC in this game.

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2009/pdf/00264EAUCLAIRE.PDF

I spent an hour flying this STAR into KMSP, got myself down to 5000 ft nicely slowed down and ready for ILS, then Minneapolis Approach waited until I hit WOLVS or LOOON to tell me to gently caress off back to FL160 and send me ~70 miles north at which point I ragequit the flight.

I'm the furthest thing possible from an expert but this just feels like IFR flying is unplayably hosed right now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In the Roy Halladay case, toxicology reports after the fact showed a shitload of drugs in his system at the time of death. But yeah, this is basically what you get when your market is exclusively adventurous rich people/tech bros and you give them a license in less than a month.

The plane itself does seem sound, but I have a feeling that we'll start seeing even more of this once they get production going again and ship out more planes. (if they do)

Halladay was screwing around low. I have very quickly learned in maaaaybe 2 hours in the A5 that if you point your nose down, your rear end is in trouble, you are going to overspeed, and maybe tear the plane apart. If you want to lose altitude in an A5, do it with the throttle, not the elevators. What Halladay was doing would have been dangerous in any plane, but in an A5 its also a recipe for structural damage.

Stick And Rudder goes into this at length and in detail. The elevators control angle of attack, not altitude. The throttle controls altitude. The pilot in the second video, all other mistakes aside, has the stick in his nuts when he hits the trees, that's a case of insufficient training.

In the good news department, I have a tracking number from MyPilotStore for my T16000 !

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
If anyone wants to try head tracking without buying expensive hardware, looks like there is an iOS app for that: http://www.inflightassistant.com/smoothtrack/index.html

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lol at my 12 year old x52 joystick deciding to lose responsiveness immediately after takeoff on my last flight. Managed to autopilot my way to my destination and just barely avoided destroying the plane on landing.

Gave the magnets a good cleaning (how do they collect so much gunk and poo poo?) and now things seem okay-ish again. Though this thing just feels sluggish. Like there's a bit of input lag or something, idk. In other words, I really need a new HOTAS setup. When is thrustmaster gonna start flooding the market to take advantage of the MSFS hype? Why have they not done so already? C'mon!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sapozhnik posted:

Man I'm loving done with the IFR ATC in this game.

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2009/pdf/00264EAUCLAIRE.PDF

I spent an hour flying this STAR into KMSP, got myself down to 5000 ft nicely slowed down and ready for ILS, then Minneapolis Approach waited until I hit WOLVS or LOOON to tell me to gently caress off back to FL160 and send me ~70 miles north at which point I ragequit the flight.

I'm the furthest thing possible from an expert but this just feels like IFR flying is unplayably hosed right now.

The ATC is hot loving garbage. Do not use it, ever, for anything. Pretend it isn’t there, and issue yourself clearances. It’s a more fulfilling experience.

Source: I’m a controller.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The ATC can do okay if you pre-set the approach you want in the world map. I enjoy the little interactions

But yeah it will gently caress up and in that case you gotta just ignore it, switch frequency and do your own thing.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

MikeJF posted:

Hey, re: DX11 and scaling past four cores: that should just be for stuff bound to the graphics loop, right? Like, this Sim has a relatively intense fluid simulation for the air mass and its interactions with the plane for the flight model, that should take up a chunk of CPU and not necessarily be bound to the DX core limits, right? Or is that just not a major computational factor compared to the graphics loop.

Oh hardware accelerated GPU scheduling is a major change, maybe the biggest change to the driver model since Vista basically rebuilt the graphics driver system ground up. Article about it from Microsoft. They just need to make it so only people willing to have possible bugs turn it on.

I'm not sure where people are getting the "four core" thing from, but my understanding of graphics APIs is that D3D11 drivers are totally single threaded and share a single global state, so the application can only record/submit commands from a single thread. They introduced command lists for d3d11 that should allow developers to record commands from other threads, but everything I've heard about them is they end up being more trouble than they're worth. So one of your threads is going to likely be totally dedicated to submitting d3d11 commands, which make their way to the driver, which in turn is doing a lot of work in terms of managing state, resource lifetimes, transitions and barriers, reordering commands to avoid flushes, etc. All this work happens in the "Render Thread" that the developer tools refer to.

This quickly becomes a bottleneck for modern games, where generating draw commands for shadow passes, g-buffer passes, etc. can involve thousands or tens of thousands of draw calls to the driver layer with each call having substantial overhead. The "modern" APIs like Vulkan and D3D12 try to solve this by allowing the application to record commands in command lists that can be used independently, and only the submission of those lists has to hit the driver and happen in a single thread. This means you can divide most of the existing work much more effectively. Additionally, the application is now responsible for most of the stuff that the driver used to do - managing resource barriers, uploads, preventing simultaneous read-write, etc. in order to reduce the overhead involved in executing a draw. The reasoning is that the application should have much more information regarding how resources will be used than the IHV's driver. There's other stuff like immutable shaders and the like that also help the driver and the developer avoid unintentional flushes/state changes that might result in the driver taking a "slow path".

But everything else that doesn't have to do with draw call generation can happen on whatever thread you want and there's no reason why you'd be limited to four cores. It's possible that their architecture doesn't utilize more cores than four or whatever but that's nothing to do with D3D11. It does kind of spell trouble for people's hopes that a transition to D3D12 will deliver vastly improved performance -- it's easy to write code that uses D3D12 that is slower (and buggier!) than D3D11 since there's just so much that D3D11 drivers do for developers. And if you aren't using something like task graphs or fibres or another framework for wide parallelization you may not get much benefit from the transition. For instance, it's not uncommon to have separate code paths for AMD vs Nvidia when using D3D12, because now the application code is responsible for making some of the optimizations previously done by hardware vendors in their drivers.

However, I don't know anything about the other APIs offered by DirectX, only the 3D stuff. So it's possible that stuff like playing sounds has similar limitations. Also, I am only a hobby graphics programmer and haven't worked on anything at this scale, so there could be serious errors in the above post.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tima posted:

If anyone wants to try head tracking without buying expensive hardware, looks like there is an iOS app for that: http://www.inflightassistant.com/smoothtrack/index.html

Trying to give this a go but I can't get opentrack to see the video on UDP over network.

EDIT: as soon as I post it starts working

EDIT2: Ok without having a chance to tweak the curves or anything this is loving AMAZING.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 26, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brownie posted:

But everything else that doesn't have to do with draw call generation can happen on whatever thread you want and there's no reason why you'd be limited to four cores. It's possible that their architecture doesn't utilize more cores than four or whatever but that's nothing to do with D3D11. It does kind of spell trouble for people's hopes that a transition to D3D12 will deliver vastly improved performance -- it's easy to write code that uses D3D12 that is slower (and buggier!) than D3D11 since there's just so much that D3D11 drivers do for developers. And if you aren't using something like task graphs or fibres or another framework for wide parallelization you may not get much benefit from the transition. For instance, it's not uncommon to have separate code paths for AMD vs Nvidia when using D3D12, because now the application code is responsible for making some of the optimizations previously done by hardware vendors in their drivers.

I can't see any universe where they'd transition to DirectX 12: it's existed literally the entire time that they were developing MSFS, and if they were going to adapt it they would've done it during that time, not as a post-release patch. From what they've said, they're comprehensively restricted to DX11 due to the decision to build iteratively on FSX architecture.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
How do you activate the auxiliary fuel tanks in the Cessna Grand Caravan? I just had a nasty surprise with my gauge reading 20 gallons left in both tanks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Always has been

MrYenko posted:

The ATC is hot loving garbage. Do not use it, ever, for anything. Pretend it isn’t there, and issue yourself clearances. It’s a more fulfilling experience.

Source: I’m a controller.

Please listen to this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah it's pretty hosed even for VFR. Honestly I think it was a little better in the beta for whatever reason. The other day I took off from Castle AFB and when I was at about 300' and still over the runway they called me up to say I was leaving the airspace. ???

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
My very first ATC interaction was being given taxi instructions that were literally (as in taxiways that don’t exist and don’t intersect) impossible

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Being told to climb to FL450 in a A320 was pretty funny.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh dang we made an OnAir thread? Alright i'll reboot mine from the hub.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
is there any non-sketchy non-super expensive way to get a hotas right now

i figure the answer is "lol no" but, i figured, i would ask?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can look around BH photo or mypilotstore. I think they still have a few things available.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Romes128 posted:

I mean by that logic what are we supposed to fly.

Also yea, the OnAir thread is in PGS;

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937349

Nobody ever died while flying this plane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1aQq28l3ug

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

dedian posted:

Sorry if you've posted previously, but what have you tried?

Turn down the CPU related options as per this guide:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-8-18-2020/132407

Mostly level of detail stuff

Turn on dev mode and enable the FPS display - lower CPU related stuff until the GPU is the bottleneck. Probably goes without saying but make sure you're not running anything else that might be taking up some CPU. Also give the hardware accelerated GPU scheduler option a try. Disable all realtime/AI traffic.

hmm that forum link says "G-Sync reportedly may have issues with MSFS, lowering framerates when the window is in focus." which mirrors my experience.

aaand yeah. night and day. especially in the cockpit. went from 7fps to like, 50. I hope they patch the g-sync thing

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A MIRACLE posted:

hmm that forum link says "G-Sync reportedly may have issues with MSFS, lowering framerates when the window is in focus." which mirrors my experience.

aaand yeah. night and day. especially in the cockpit. went from 7fps to like, 50. I hope they patch the g-sync thing

I need to test that but god drat that's really annoying.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shine posted:

Nope. But if you slow down to the lowest setting and then increase it twice, you'll be at normal speed. I've not tried this, but that's what somebody on reddit said.

Thank you, that is a helpful tip!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Being told to climb to FL450 in a A320 was pretty funny.

I personally like getting yelled at for not being at an altitude before the ATC tells me to go down to that altitude.

Also: I found a box.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 26, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody notice the temperature ATIS gives you can be way off? Just loaded into Canberra and ATIS says 1 degree!, dewpoint 10. The Garmin says OAT 8 degrees, IRL is 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
If you're bored heres a pretty good breakdown of the Roy Halladay crash. I really like this channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhAJrKyg2AA