Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Cat Mattress posted:

Ellipsis.

And for what it's worth, she's still using her dead name for her work in an adjective form. (This PDF was uploaded after her coming out and name change.)

Whoops, in retrospect that makes a lot more sense, I didn't know she was still using her deadname either.

But enough Goblins, Snout found log entry 34/215 this week.

:nws:still a dead(?) naked woman:nws:

I made a mistake and this is supposed to be cabin man's "calm" handwriting, Mookie didn't get lazy switching to it that's just what the original log entries looked like. Don't really get where this sudden motivation for a new wife came from though, the initial entries didn't really sound like a guy abandoning his life out of grief. It sounded way more like a guy who just got tired of modern trappings and was perfectly happy with his new cabin life until a bunch of vines came in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So... The dead guy used necromantic vines... To transfer his consciousness to a new body? Is that woman a mongrel? If so I can barely tell.

So that's it? That's the big plot involving these mysterious necromantic vines? I'm still baffled this is the story Mookie wants to tell...

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So... The dead guy used necromantic vines... To transfer his consciousness to a new body? Is that woman a mongrel? If so I can barely tell.

So that's it? That's the big plot involving these mysterious necromantic vines? I'm still baffled this is the story Mookie wants to tell...

I think it's worse than that. The vines convinced the writer to feed his friend to them. He believes it was so they could produce a blank-slate woman for him.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's a bride of frankenstein story, but without a tragic lost love it comes off incredibly creepy. Like Mookie has written a story where corrupt necromancy convinced a dude to make a sex doll out of his best friend. Why? Who? What?

Not important, the important thing is dead titties.

E: It's actually incredibly creepy to me that Mookie starts with a pseudoThoreau-style monologue on desiring to live a pure, simple existence, and then writes this about nature "providing" a wife. Even if Mookie means it to be horryfying, why the sexual angle. Up until the point the nudity had at least been in on living people, and in a more or less consentual way. Now it's nudity in the service of body horror and even a little bit of sexual violence/abuse. This is just marrying Mookie's new taboo breaking with his old gory poo poo, making the old gory poo poo grosser in the process because he probably wanted to draw titties then too.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 25, 2020

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I th ink it's good writing how snoot found the exposition there behind her.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh god don't tell me this story is going to be about forced gender transition

Please please please don't let that be where you're going with this Mookie

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh god don't tell me this story is going to be about forced gender transition

Please please please don't let that be where you're going with this Mookie

god I didn't even think of that. Went back to look and yeah the Mongrelfolk who came around was a he.

Oh god Mookie what are you doooiiiiinnnnggg.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Sorry I haven't registered that yet, I'm still laughing at the vine-tree full of exposition.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
This is the representation I crave.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I think that's what happening. I think maybe the falling apart dead guy is the mongrel friend (which was unclear, but looking closer I think he kind of has a cat face?) and he's been transferred to the female body - although we don't yet know where the woman came from, whether she's been kidnapped, grave robbed, grown from the vines, etc.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It turns out that when we were complaining the Legacy was boring we were wishing on a monkey's paw.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mookie is just one giant monkey's paw with infinite fingers

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I thought the same thing, but I really wanna believe that for the incredibly weird approach to gender in Star Power Mookie still isn't so completely stupid that he'd genuinely think forced gender transition is a thing.

I DO think there's a good chance this woman will become Snout's new anime wife and be even more naive and childlike than him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah like I said I don't KNOW that's where this is going. I just really hope it isn't that.

The journal did say "blank slate" so maybe it's just the mongrel guys, uh life essence? Or something? And not his mind?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oh even if it's not forced there's still an ocean of options for it to be dumb and stupid and hilariously tonedeaf. Like that's what the mongrelman always wanted but hadn't realised and the vines (which turn out to be good) granted it to her or something. The Ink Witch already forced creepy sex things on Snout which was "ok" because Snout retroactively didn't mind them, this could be the same thing.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
:suspense:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mookie played too many video games where NPCs just leave journals and recordings scattered everywhere and thought "yes, this is what normal people do, this makes sense."

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Snout's consciousness will be transferred into an identical Snout body, except with the ability to hear.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling this is the result of Mookie asking himself "Deep down, what story do I really want to write?"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m... withholding judgment until the rest of this arc plays out, but given his previous track record? This is about to be creepy for reasons he wasn’t intending.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

I get the feeling this is the result of Mookie asking himself "Deep down, what story do I really want to write?"

This seems to be directly related to his recent depression and need to escape his family for a while. This storyline may have come about as a result of those experiences.

Interestingly, while looking for these, I came across another blog that really gives you an interesting dive into Mookie's head as it relates to his writing: Hijacked By Unrelated Characters.

I’m one of those people who has a cast of characters in his imagination, many of whom are waiting for a chance to be put somewhere. Some of them enter and emerge with a quick turnaround, while others have been waiting “backstage” for years. Every so often one of those characters rushes to the front of the line and takes the spotlight for themselves, despite my best efforts to the contrary.

The most notable occurrence of this, for me, was when I was playing a Diviner Wizard in a 3.5E D&D game. I turned him into a career.
[he's talking about Dominic of course]

I’ve had pretty good control over my cast of characters these past few years. Working with Garth has kept my backstage area in check. Thanks to the very structured nature of our collaboration there have been little opportunities for a character to rush to the front of the line and steal my attention. But now as Star Power draws ever closer to its conclusion and more of my time is spent on The Legacy of Dominic Deegan, someone has rushed to the front of the line.

His name is Molos. He’s my tiefling paladin in a long-running tabletop game of the Pathfinder 1E “Hell’s Rebels” campaign module. I originally created him to be the backup muscle for the smooth-talking charmer and analytical strategist, who are meant to be the stars of the campaign. But as time passed, I began to grow fond of this “pit-born paladin” and his inner struggles, and my generous GM allowed for some moving character moments. Now, in this moment, he’s all I can think about.

But don’t worry, I have a handle on him. His story is strongly connected to an existing campaign setting owned by another company and the experiences created when my friends sit down to play our games. He’s not someone I can drag-and-drop into my work without serious modification and planning, so don’t expect a hell-born demon knight to burst through the wall here in Star Power. He probably won’t even be appearing in The Legacy of Dominic Deegan (yet). That hasn’t stopped me from drawing him a lot in my free time, and even asking my personal Patreon patrons if they want to see more of him this month.

This hasn’t happened in a long time and I’ve come to realize I’ve missed it. I don’t think Star Power has suffered because of it. The structure of my working relationship with Garth has been wonderful for my creativity, causing me to think and write in ways I’d never attempted! But I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel a little thrilled by this old feeling.

Apparently this is the way Mookie's brain works - he'll be UTTERLY OBSESSED with a new character or story, and his brain will latch onto it, to the detriment of whatever current project he's working on. He says that working with Garth has kept him in check from this happening... Which suggests in the past, when he was working alone, it HAS made his work suffer. And it probably will in the future now that he's on his own again.

That's probably what has happened here. Whatever this story is, it's suddenly WAY more important in his mind than the previous plot, and he's now totally lost interest in that one. He might find a way to tie it in, he might not, but either way, looks like this is where his brain is for a while.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You can certainly see this happen in real time in Dominic Deegan.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheHan posted:

I thought the same thing, but I really wanna believe that for the incredibly weird approach to gender in Star Power Mookie still isn't so completely stupid that he'd genuinely think forced gender transition is a thing.

It's been a thing in webcomics since at least The Wotch and Sparkling Valkyrie Yuuki and the likes.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Cat Mattress posted:

It's been a thing in webcomics since at least The Wotch and Sparkling Valkyrie Yuuki and the likes.

Oh yeah as a fetish thing it's been around for ages, even OG Dominic Deegan dipped its toe in there for a split second. I was assuming–if this is what he's heading towards–that in this context it'd be about the non-existent trend of gender reassignment being forced on people, which is what terfs like to say to pretend they have "ethical concerns" about trans people.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Apparently this is the way Mookie's brain works - he'll be UTTERLY OBSESSED with a new character or story, and his brain will latch onto it, to the detriment of whatever current project he's working on. He says that working with Garth has kept him in check from this happening... Which suggests in the past, when he was working alone, it HAS made his work suffer. And it probably will in the future now that he's on his own again.

That's probably what has happened here. Whatever this story is, it's suddenly WAY more important in his mind than the previous plot, and he's now totally lost interest in that one. He might find a way to tie it in, he might not, but either way, looks like this is where his brain is for a while.

This is how my brain works, sort of- something will make me latch on to one fictional universe or another for several months, things will cool, then I'll be pulled away into another. Thing is I'm not writing anything with more expectations from others than RPG campaigns so I can afford to just wander from thing to thing. Mookie either needs to make some kind of anthology series with The Legacy as a linking thread or just stop once his passion is gone.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Legacy can’t be a linking thread because he still hasn’t decided what it is. That’s not how he writes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

The Legacy can’t be a linking thread because he still hasn’t decided what it is. That’s not how he writes.

Well maybe he should so his comic can have any kind of coherency whatsofuckingever :colbert:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is not the process.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The Legacy’s also hampered by being a story with a stated goal: Find out what Dominic’s legacy is, don’t say anything while you do it. He’s already struggled beyond reason with the latter, no way was he gonna find a natural way to lead Snout into his latest fixation.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

TheHan posted:

The Legacy’s also hampered by being a story with a stated goal: Find out what Dominic’s legacy is, don’t say anything while you do it.
*Snout wanders into a room, picks up a random book.*
"Since the dawn of time, man has wondered what is the Legacy of Dominic Deegan? According to Wikipedia, a 'legacy' is defined as 'In law, a legacy is something held and transferred to someone as their inheritance, as by will and testament. Personal effects, family property, marriage property or collective property gained by will of real property.' In this essay I will explain"
*this continues for five more updates before concluding on a hi-larious punchline: a scary monster has been reading over Snout's shoulder, who is unaware of this because he is deaf*

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

For two hundred years you've been asking "What is Dominic Deegan's legacy?"

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Honestly part of me is hoping this is some kind of ill conceived body swap plot because at least there'd be something to talk about. What if this naked lady is Snout's new mysterious woman partner? Though I guess she may also just be a blank slate person at which point the narrative could descend into similar creepiness of her not knowing social conventions and/or acting like a child. Which is a whole other nightmare.

At the moment I think it definitely wasn't MEANT to put the mongrelman brain into into this body, though. More just like a sacrifice of one life to create another. Though if that first guy was supposed to be a mongrelman he certainly didn't look like it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Mookie is just one giant monkey's paw with infinite fingers
Mookie

TheHan posted:

I DO think there's a good chance this woman will become Snout's new anime wife and be even more naive and childlike than him.
Mookie is right around the age that people decide to be terfs. I hope that's not the direction he's going in, since it would make it a lot less fun to read his awful comic, but it can't be ruled out entirely.

Ague Proof posted:

Snout's consciousness will be transferred into an identical Snout body, except with the ability to hear.
Will it fix his waist tumor in one position, though?

Maxwell Lord posted:

He stares at himself in the mirror and is like "you miss bloody naked women. There is no shame in that."

Regalingualius posted:

I’m... withholding judgment until the rest of this arc plays out, but given his previous track record? This is about to be creepy for reasons he wasn’t intending.
Maybe this time Mookie will let me kick the football.

TheHan posted:

Oh yeah as a fetish thing it's been around for ages, even OG Dominic Deegan dipped its toe in there for a split second. I was assuming–if this is what he's heading towards–that in this context it'd be about the non-existent trend of gender reassignment being forced on people, which is what terfs like to say to pretend they have "ethical concerns" about trans people.
Again, this is probably what's going to happen, though I'd like to hope otherwise. Like the alterist, If this is the path Mookie follows, I think that the journalist's mongrelfolk friend will be really excited to be in a human female body, and while the ensuing subplot will be dumb and offensive, it will not be for terf reasons.

Drakyn posted:

*Snout wanders into a room, picks up a random book.*
"Since the dawn of time, man has wondered what is the Legacy of Dominic Deegan? According to Wikipedia, a 'legacy' is defined as 'In law, a legacy is something held and transferred to someone as their inheritance, as by will and testament. Personal effects, family property, marriage property or collective property gained by will of real property.' In this essay I will explain"
*this continues for five more updates before concluding on a hi-larious punchline: a scary monster has been reading over Snout's shoulder, who is unaware of this because he is deaf*
What is a legacy? A miserable pile of secrets!

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 25, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Invisible Clergy posted:

Mookie is right around the age that people decide to be terfs. I hope that's not the direction he's going in, since it would make it a lot less fun to read his awful comic, but it can't be ruled out entirely.

I hope not either. I suspect if it does touch on trans issues it'll be an earnest but flawed attempt at representation, like before. But we're still just speculating on that being what's happening at all.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I hope not either. I suspect if it does touch on trans issues it'll be an earnest but flawed attempt at representation, like before. But we're still just speculating on that being what's happening at all.

Fortunately, since Mookie's incapable of subtlety or humility, if dead naked woman is intended to be trans representation, we can expect a self-congratulatory blog post about it soon.

It seems pretty clear to me that this is what's going on: journalist heard the red vines say that if he plugged the mongrelfolk into them, they would download his mind into a female human body they'd 3d print out for the purpose, but this would hardly be the first time Mookie communicated something incorrectly in this comic.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Wait, isn't the vine uploading thing from the movie Avatar?

Like, they figure out you can use the magic trees to transfer consciousness between bodies. It doesn't help Sigourny Weaver but it helps whatshisname at the end.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
For a second I wondered if Mookie might make it so that Snout is the 'mongrel friend' and the vines/whoever's writing has been improvising this text the entire time since they figured out he wasn't listening and tried to lure him into a trap using some convenient corpses.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wait, isn't the vine uploading thing from the movie Avatar?

Yes.

Pyrotoad posted:

For a second I wondered if Mookie might make it so that Snout is the 'mongrel friend' and the vines/whoever's writing has been improvising this text the entire time since they figured out he wasn't listening and tried to lure him into a trap using some convenient corpses.
Wow, that's quite a reach that makes absolutely no sense. The vines determined he couldn't hear their horrible wailing or read the "deaf" patch on his overalls and then wrote a journal in sap in the blank diary that they had lying around in intelligible Common?

That's probably exactly what's going on.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
That would require some forethought and a consideration for your audience's expectations...so there's no way that it could happen. Beyond impossible. There's no timeline where he thought to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think Mookie might go TERF in practice but not in theory. In theory, Mookie is generally a well meaning and naive idiot. In practice, well, yeah.
I think Mookie genuinely in his heart of hearts considers transpeople to be people and their appropriate genders. I don't think he'd ever deadname anyone or anything like that - at least not deliberately. If the ineptly handled Alterist poo poo shows anything, it's that Mookie is at least in theory an ally and that it seems most likely any offensive poo poo he does WRT transpeople is more the result of him being a myopic idiot than him being genuinely hateful or dismissive.

That said, he's also a myopic idiot who despite crowing about the opposite, thinks edginess makes good storytelling. Hence the sexy rapist. I definitely could see Mookie going for a story of someone having their sex forcibly changed without their consent not because he's a genuine* TERF or because of anything sexual/fetishistic, I think he just is an idiot who thinks 'wouldn't it be cool and edgy if someone subverted the goodness of gender transitioning and turned a positive and empowering thing into something and twisted?!"

*Obviously there is a lot of discussion to be had about whether or not a person's intent matters when they are being a shitheel. If someone is standing on your neck by accident, they are still standing on your neck. But I think you all know what I mean here. I'm talking about what Mookie believes and feels, not how his behavior is once those generally well-intentioned beliefs get filtered through his idiocy.