Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DogsInSpace! posted:

I heard you guys say Young Justice wasn't that great but how was the title with Damian Wayne and Superman's kid? That sounds like something kid me might have really been into.

If you are referring to Super Sons and Adventure of the Super Sons, you are correct, they rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was a liiiittle weirded out in Three Jokers when Jason Todd just, like, sics a whole loving shark on some guy, and Batman standing two feet away is just like eh whatever. Did Batman...not see the shark eat the guy?

Also lol at Wonder Woman 'cuz I typed up all that shite declaring how they're not gonna have the Max Lord thing make sense and then they spent a whole issue this week having it pretty much flat out make sense within established continuity. Look, in my defense, my body involuntarily cuts off all oxygen to my brain whenever I think too hard about the Justice League/Suicide Squad crossover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

sorry if this is asked like five times a day, but I just got DC Universe (pretty much only to watch Batman: TAS and the family of shows that came from it) and realized it lets me read comics, too.

if I'm primarily interested in reading Batman and associated stories, where do I jump in? since different lines are published at the same time and are interconnected, I should be reading them in order, right? is there anywhere that lays out what to read and when in a sane way?

For Batman specific stories you're probably best off just looking up a "best batman stories" list and then trying to find those stories. I don't know how it's laid out on DC Universe and what exactly they have so I can't help you too much with specifics.

Most Batman stories are published either in the comics titled Batman or Detective Comics and you're lucky in that those comics have only ever been rebooted with a new #1 exactly once each, compared to Marvel comics, where Spider-Man has been around for twenty years less and has had four or five #1's on his main title, ignoring all the spin-off titles.

Depending on what's happening sometimes those two titles are telling different stories that happen roughy around the same time chronologically, or you need to be reading both (and sometimes several other books) in order to follow a single story.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

BrianWilly posted:

I was a liiiittle weirded out in Three Jokers when Jason Todd just, like, sics a whole loving shark on some guy, and Batman standing two feet away is just like eh whatever. Did Batman...not see the shark eat the guy?

Batman fights crime. I don't see no law about sharks doing what sharks do.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

sorry if this is asked like five times a day, but I just got DC Universe (pretty much only to watch Batman: TAS and the family of shows that came from it) and realized it lets me read comics, too.

if I'm primarily interested in reading Batman and associated stories, where do I jump in? since different lines are published at the same time and are interconnected, I should be reading them in order, right? is there anywhere that lays out what to read and when in a sane way?

How comprehensive of a reading order would you like? If you are going to be ambitious and read everything I would say skip all but gimmick villain or main villain issues/stories until '67 or '68 when batman starts making the transition into modern Batman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

How comprehensive of a reading order would you like? If you are going to be ambitious and read everything I would say skip all but gimmick villain or main villain issues/stories until '67 or '68 when batman starts making the transition into modern Batman.

I don't think DCUniverse is anywhere close to complete enough for that kind of thing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Am I crazy or did Batgirl today get the ages of the Gordon siblings wrong? Babs is older than Junior right? Also, the way Luke Fox kept calling her Babes drove me up the wall. I'd say I hope somebody got fired for those blunders, but they probably already did.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I wasn't really into Three Jokers, and it kind of irritated me how about 10 pages were spent on "here's how Bruce got his scars", plus the eight billionth version of the Waynes getting murdered. It's clear that Johns is trying to write what he thinks is going to be his evergreen Bat-epic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I don't think DCUniverse is anywhere close to complete enough for that kind of thing.

A good starting point is any Len Wein issues or Danny O’Neil

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I finally realized--despite thinking Three Jokers was decent--what the worst part is. Imagine if it was a series released with minimal fanfare and no advanced teasing. They made it 6 issues instead of 3 oversized ones, and you end the first issue out of nowhere with the three Jokers meeting in the cabin and talking. That could have been cool and even a little surprising, and you'd want to see where they go.

Instead, we're not 5 years after the initial tease and--much like with Doomsday Clock--what feels like a third of the issue released ahead of time with sketches and preview art and interviews, and now we get it and like Darth Nat said most of the first issue is just Batman's scars. The art does a lot of the heavy lifting but oof.

Also, I still feel like there's a 10% chance that there isn't even any kind of concrete reason about why all three Jokers exist. I can picture a Johns interview and when asked why he didn't confirm anything just goes "it isn't about that, it's not about where the Joker(s) came from, it's that there will ALWAYS be a Joker" or some stupid non-answer.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Turns out the World's Greatest Detective couldn't figure out that the Jokers he constantly ran into were different people until a magic chair told him.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Three Jokers are the Joker (classic), Harley Quinn (girl joker) and the Riddler (college joker). Everybody knows this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

The Three Jokers are the Joker (classic), Harley Quinn (girl joker) and the Riddler (college joker). Everybody knows this.

Until Riddler died and they replaced him with Little Joker (Bane).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wait did Hood just murder that little person and no one commented on it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Technically the shark killed him.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
you can't really expect anyone to give a poo poo about Gaggy's life, c'mon

Three Jokers isn't gratuitously terrible or anything but it feels a lot like Doomsday Clock, not just in its obvious Alan Moore veneration but also in that whatever plans for how it was supposed to tie into the broader DCU have long since fallen through but they felt obligated to put it out anyway because of sunk costs and all

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

Rubber sharks. Honest.

radlum
May 13, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I guess technically the shark did it so I guess he gets a pass?

I think that if this had been just an arc during a regular Batman run, at least the surprise of the 3 Jokers would have been amusing, but being this overhyped series that was supposed to answer a mistery from years ago, it feels like a waste of time and hype.

Still, I totally expect lists of "where to start with Batman" or "iconic Joker stories" in 2022 to include the TPB of this series; it feels oddly unrelated to anything else going on in the main books so it would work better as a single volume.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think it works better disconnected from everything else. Then if people like it, they can plug it in wherever it fits and say it's canon. And if people don't, they can just keep it as a trade of an "important" story that isn't in continuity.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

I think it works better disconnected from everything else. Then if people like it, they can plug it in wherever it fits and say it's canon. And if people don't, they can just keep it as a trade of an "important" story that isn't in continuity.

I suppose, but (a) it's simply not that good thus far, and (b) trying to position it as a self-contained story doesn't work as well when so much of it is explicitly founded on preexisting continuity. which also largely applies to Doomsday Clock, not coincidentally

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

I suppose, but (a) it's simply not that good thus far, and (b) trying to position it as a self-contained story doesn't work as well when so much of it is explicitly founded on preexisting continuity. which also largely applies to Doomsday Clock, not coincidentally

The only big things you need to know are his history with Jason and Barbara. They spell everything else out so that someone even casually familiar could grasp it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The existence of three Jokers on Earth-1 (mainline DC is Earth-1 right?) implies the existence of three Jokesters on Earth-3 (that's the Crime Syndicate Earth, right?).

Make the three Jokesters, Coward Geoff Johns

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

The only big things you need to know are his history with Jason and Barbara. They spell everything else out so that someone even casually familiar could grasp it.

I suppose. This is admittedly subjective, but for me it’s less a reliance on continuity minutiae and more a sense that the book is extremely cognizant of what it defines as the broader Batman canon and what it intends its place in that to be, in a way that, say, The Killing Joke was not.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Feels weird that Johns is trying to distinguish between the Clown version (linked with Death in the Family) and the nominally modern Comedian version (linked with The Killing Joke) given that they were both from 1998 with TKJ coming first.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
So how many Jokers were UN diplomats?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Am I crazy or did Batgirl today get the ages of the Gordon siblings wrong? Babs is older than Junior right? Also, the way Luke Fox kept calling her Babes drove me up the wall. I'd say I hope somebody got fired for those blunders, but they probably already did.

I haven't read Batgirl, but I thought Junior was his son from Year One, so would be older.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Feels weird that Johns is trying to distinguish between the Clown version (linked with Death in the Family) and the nominally modern Comedian version (linked with The Killing Joke) given that they were both from 1998 with TKJ coming first.

The original plans, based on the art from DC Rebirth and/or Justice League #50, clearly had the three Jokers as being original, Bolland/TKJ, and Snyder/Capullo “modern,” which would have made far more sense, but... as with Doomsday Clock, a lot of circa-2016 plans fell through

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

And technically it was the bullet that killed that last guy.

So is this in continuity at all, because the new batsuit is throwing me off

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel like it was supposed to be but then it got delayed so long it just got turned into a standalone thing. That's how it reads at least. Because right now the story feels like it's trying to be a mystery, but if it was still in continuity and/or was supposed to be following up that JL stinger, then Batman should just be going "Yeah they're all the Joker, I learned it from a magic chair, let me tell you the deets" to Barbara and Jason when they're asking how there can be 3 Jokers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Johns is no longer the "it" guy at DC which might have a little bit to do with it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Johns is no longer the "it" guy at DC which might have a little bit to do with it.

Who would be the closest now? Snyder?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
My predictions that I wish were jokes:
Dick Grayson will become Joker 4 at the end, and the last page of the last issue will be a 1-900 number poll to determine if the story is in continuity or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Thranguy posted:

My predictions that I wish were jokes:
Dick Grayson will become Joker 4 at the end, and the last page of the last issue will be a 1-900 number poll to determine if the story is in continuity or not.

If this actually happens I'm going to find you and set you on fire, because either you somehow willed it into existence or can predict the future and either way it means you're a witch.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I feel like it was supposed to be but then it got delayed so long it just got turned into a standalone thing. That's how it reads at least. Because right now the story feels like it's trying to be a mystery, but if it was still in continuity and/or was supposed to be following up that JL stinger, then Batman should just be going "Yeah they're all the Joker, I learned it from a magic chair, let me tell you the deets" to Barbara and Jason when they're asking how there can be 3 Jokers.

The aforementioned decision to drop the original plan to use an explicitly modern, in-very-recent-continuity Joker in favor of oddly making TKJ and DitF two different people also strongly suggests that the Bat-office was less than fully on board with the idea and didn’t want to play ball.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They probably separated those two so that Jason and Barbara could each have their own Jokers to deal with.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

They probably separated those two so that Jason and Barbara could each have their own Jokers to deal with.

That makes more sense for the story...but also less sense for the overall idea of 3 different Jokers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

radlum posted:

That makes more sense for the story...but also less sense for the overall idea of 3 different Jokers.

yeah, I think that justification is fine if you can take the plot strictly on its own terms as a self-contained story where Batman, Batgirl, and Red Hood fight three different Jokers. if you can, then cool, more power to you, but I can't myself; even if you disregard how this was set up way back in 2016, it still feels like it’s trying too hard to be a definitive Batman/Joker story and some sort of culmination of eight decades of Batman/Joker continuity for me to treat it as such

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 26, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Everybody keeps asking who or what the three jokers are, but I feel like I must ask, quite simply, why are they doing this?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dan Didio posted:

Everybody keeps asking who or what the three jokers are, but I feel like I must ask, quite simply, why are they doing this?

I feel like Johns felt like he hadn't left a big enough mark on the history of DC and this is one of his attempts to cement a legacy. Mind you, if that's accurate I feel like he's seriously underestimating his influence, we're going to be living with his decisions for a long time.

I feel like Doomsday Clock and Three Jokers are two dumb ideas that didn't have the decency to come out in a timely manner and instead just sat around stinking up the joint. DC's been teasing Three Jokers for loving ages and I just cannot possibly care. Just get it out your system, guys, at least Doomsday Clock ended, even if it took an extra loving year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Was the Keaton/Nicholson Batman film the first time the idea of The Joker being the same guy as the thug who shot Thomas and Martha Wayne was brought up?