Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Which reminds me, I really need to rewatch Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline, Dark Water, Last Christmas, Heaven Sent, Oxygen and World Enough and Time again because goddamn they're so loving good.

Also It Takes You Away from Jodie's first season, which is a tremendous episode and the best of her run so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but it's not literal. It's an allegory for, you know, ALWAYS CHOOSING LIFE.

It's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't episode. Neither reading is good, but it's at least emotionally compelling (which is more than I can say for Pyramid At The End Of The World, which has everyone so reactionary that nothing ends up being dramatic).

I understand how you can read Kill the Moon as an anti-abortion story, but I don't think it comes naturally and I think that the episode actively cuts against interpreting it in that fashion. For all the discussion it generated, it's not actually a political story. That's what I find interesting about Harness's stories: he uses politics as trappings but doesn't dip into polemic or even really advocacy. He seems practically apolitical, maybe generically liberal.

Though I honestly don't remember a thing about Pyramid At The End Of The World or any of those monk episodes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I find myself somewhat disappointed that the other two Out of Time stories are also 10 tales. I love 10....but would have much preferred to see teamups of like...9 and 6 or 11 and 7. Guess it's the same reason the Daleks keep popping up everywhere...the popular characters sell.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I find myself somewhat disappointed that the other two Out of Time stories are also 10 tales. I love 10....but would have much preferred to see teamups of like...9 and 6 or 11 and 7. Guess it's the same reason the Daleks keep popping up everywhere...the popular characters sell.

They didn't have nine when these were recorded -- I still don't think Eccelston's actually recorded anything -- and as far as we know Matt Smith isn't currently involved.

It's not so much an issue of popularity as it is availability.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Re: 9, I was hoping maybe one was still in the recording process or something, or that the announcement of his involvement was after he'd had a chance to record some stuff

Re: 11, Jacob Dudman does a really good 11

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cleretic posted:

So, does Capaldi have the largest gap in quality between best and worst episodes of any Doctor? Because it feels like he does, with some actively offensive episodes and then Heaven Sent on thebother side.

Someone is going to mention the Twin Dilemma and Vengeance on Varos and I will be forced to throw hands.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

Re: 11, Jacob Dudman does a really good 11

:hmmyes:

His 12 is bad though.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Also It Takes You Away from Jodie's first season, which is a tremendous episode and the best of her run so far.

That was a great episode but to me Demons of the Punjab is the best episode she's done.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Cleretic posted:

So, does Capaldi have the largest gap in quality between best and worst episodes of any Doctor? Because it feels like he does, with some actively offensive episodes and then Heaven Sent on thebother side.

It's two different consecutive Doctors, but Caves of Androzani and Twin Dilemma takes a lot to beat!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, it was super neat seeing Warren Brown in a televised episode

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Zaroff posted:

It's two different consecutive Doctors, but Caves of Androzani and Twin Dilemma takes a lot to beat!

If we're talking consecutive stories, going from Earthshock to Time Flight is another contender.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Moon is an egg is great and I can only assume that the people who hate it must be watching a very different show

"Moon is an egg" is a fine plot centerpiece, it's every single bit of the execution.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Everything leading up to the egg reveal was interesting

Everything after though...

oof

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

After they announced that Eccles was going to be working with them I did start to wonder if maybe they'd been holding back on announcing the rest of Out of Time because he might be involved with that, but I honestly can't be disappointed that we're getting Tennant with the living classic Doctors instead.

I guess the only thing I could say is that him with his father in law again instead of McCoy is a bit of a bummer, unless these were done when Sylv was unable to record because of lockdowns

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Eccleston just came back to the role, let's let him do some stuff by himself before bringing in other Doctors.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Edward Mass posted:

Eccleston just came back to the role, let's let him do some stuff by himself before bringing in other Doctors.

Oh I'm absolutely thrilled that there's a set of 9 only boxes coming, I just was suspecting (like Homora was) that maybe one of the three out of time stories might have him in it, that's all

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but it's not literal. It's an allegory for, you know, ALWAYS CHOOSING LIFE.

It's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't episode. Neither reading is good, but it's at least emotionally compelling (which is more than I can say for Pyramid At The End Of The World, which has everyone so reactionary that nothing ends up being dramatic).

kill_the_moon_aborted.jpg

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If you count Orphan 55's potential future earth as Earth proper....the entirety of Series 12 is on Earth. That's a bit disappointing.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

jivjov posted:

If you count Orphan 55's potential future earth as Earth proper....the entirety of Series 12 is on Earth. That's a bit disappointing.

I'd like to forget The Timeless Children too, but unfortunately it did happen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Voting Floater posted:

I'd like to forget The Timeless Children too, but unfortunately it did happen.

ah I haven't quite gotten to the finale two-parter yet - the synopsis I saw said something about Ireland so I was making an assumption

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kill the Moon is a story whose message I'm still not sure if the writer even knew what they were trying to say

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TL posted:

That was a great episode but to me Demons of the Punjab is the best episode she's done.

I keep meaning to do the write-up for that episode (and Kerblam! afterwards, because it's incredible whiplash going from one to the other) but getting sidelined. I love Demons of the Punjab, it's one of the best of the season... but it's really quite remarkable that the writing AND acting isn't all that great and somehow in spite of that it raises up to be more than the sum of its parts.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 27, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Burkion posted:

Kill the Moon is a story whose message I'm still not sure if the writer even knew what they were trying to say

I feel like the 'abortion metaphor' interpretation caught on not because it works or was intentional, but because at least if you read it that way it mostly seems intentional.

If it's not that, I've got no idea what it was supposed to be.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kill the Moon is about how when eggs are about to hatch, they get really heavy and covered in spiders

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think the abortion metaphor reading is totally accidental and not that intuitive. It's mostly just that it's a decision about whether to let something be born or not and there's a big button that says ABORT, and from there no matter how shaky or circumstantial the rest of the reading is, you have to at least acknowledge the subtext.

I liked Kill the Moon though. Courtney was cool.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Android Blues posted:

I think the abortion metaphor reading is totally accidental and not that intuitive. It's mostly just that it's a decision about whether to let something be born or not and there's a big button that says ABORT, and from there no matter how shaky or circumstantial the rest of the reading is, you have to at least acknowledge the subtext.

I liked Kill the Moon though. Courtney was cool.

I suspect that during production, somebody pointed out that it could be read as an anti-abortion parable and there was some hasty rewriting to muddle that interpretation as much as possible (like the big ABORT button).

Choosing not to kill the mysterious space creature in the egg doesn't make it a pro-life story. That's just a Doctor Who story.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rochallor posted:

Choosing not to kill the mysterious space creature in the egg doesn't make it a pro-life story.

Choosing to ignore the wishes of the people effected by the birth and force them to let it be born kind of does though. I honestly find that part of the story pretty indefensible.

They ask the people of 2049 to decide what to do. They have the people of 2049 decide, overwhelmingly, that the birth is not worth the risk to them. Clara decides that she knows best and ignores their decision based on what she has decided is right, and that is that the possibility of the birth is worth the risk to their lives. This isnt subtext, this is what happened in the story. And bear in mind that the reason the people of 2049 decided that is because they were deliberately written to make that decision so Clara could unilaterally overrule them. They could just as easily have written the people of earth decide to let the moon hatch, and have Clara respect that choice. You will never convince me any professional writer is dumb enough to write that poo poo by accident, even Harkness whose Who episodes have all been dogshit.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Hadn't the moon's mass increase caused massive damage and death on earth too? Like the whole reason they used an old space shuttle was that all the real rockets and launch sites had been destroyed by the rising tides?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zygon Invasion/Inversion was about illegal immigrants replacing the indigenous species

That's zygons in general, actually...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Boxturret posted:

Hadn't the moon's mass increase caused massive damage and death on earth too? Like the whole reason they used an old space shuttle was that all the real rockets and launch sites had been destroyed by the rising tides?

Yeah, that’s a plot point that gets lost sometimes. There’s been a ton of upheaval on earth, and this is a last ditch attempt to find out what’s going on. My dad knows Tony Osoba, and I briefly chatted with him about his part in the episode. He complained that most of his filmed stuff had been cut out, so I can’t help but wonder what was missing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, that’s a plot point that gets lost sometimes. There’s been a ton of upheaval on earth, and this is a last ditch attempt to find out what’s going on. My dad knows Tony Osoba, and I briefly chatted with him about his part in the episode. He complained that most of his filmed stuff had been cut out, so I can’t help but wonder what was missing.

KILL THE MOON: DIRECTOR'S CUT

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

KILL THE MOON: DIRECTOR'S CUT

I can't help but feel any clarity on Kill The Moon's story would only hurt it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Burkion posted:

KILL KILL THE MOON

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CommonShore posted:

KILL KILL THE MOON

ALL YOU NEED IS KILL THE MOON

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Burkion posted:

I wonder if you could edit out all mentions of the Earth, make it look like a future planet with humans on it just.
Give all the earth shots a tint, and replace any full moon shots with another moon like appearance.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

happyhippy posted:

I wonder if you could edit out all mentions of the Earth, make it look like a future planet with humans on it just.
Give all the earth shots a tint, and replace any full moon shots with another moon like appearance.

polishing a turd though

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
EGGS DONT GAIN MASS

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"I want to see

CommonShore posted:

KILL THE MOON: DIRECTOR'S CUT"

said nobody, ever.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

SiKboy posted:

Choosing to ignore the wishes of the people effected by the birth and force them to let it be born kind of does though. I honestly find that part of the story pretty indefensible.

They ask the people of 2049 to decide what to do. They have the people of 2049 decide, overwhelmingly, that the birth is not worth the risk to them. Clara decides that she knows best and ignores their decision based on what she has decided is right, and that is that the possibility of the birth is worth the risk to their lives. This isnt subtext, this is what happened in the story. And bear in mind that the reason the people of 2049 decided that is because they were deliberately written to make that decision so Clara could unilaterally overrule them. They could just as easily have written the people of earth decide to let the moon hatch, and have Clara respect that choice. You will never convince me any professional writer is dumb enough to write that poo poo by accident, even Harkness whose Who episodes have all been dogshit.
I think what they thought they were going for was that the people of 2049 are the community, and Clara is the one who is right there actually making the choice (the expectant mother).
It's extremely tone deaf and muddled as an episode though - I don't think it helped that it was made by a male writer, male producer, two male executive producers, male script editor, male director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Astroman posted:

"I want to see

said nobody, ever.

Curiosity is loving killing me in this case. I need to see this. My hypothesis is that it will be weirder and clumsier.