Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

That wasn't Slott's idea, that was JMS's pet concept, which he repeatedly backed off of because no one liked it. Slott just continued it (sometimes, when he remembered).

Slott’s the one who created the Other/Bride/Scion trinity that are unique in the multiverse, as well as the master weaver. He may not have originated it, but he certainly escalated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

The one problem I had with Spider-Girls was them establishing Annie as the Pattern Maker, but then then that might be my antipathy for the dumbass Spider-Totem mythos Slott decided to establish.

I just viewed that as an offshoot of Annie's Spider-Sense allowing her to see the future, which was a part of her character going back to the start of the RYV ongoing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

I just viewed that as an offshoot of Annie's Spider-Sense allowing her to see the future, which was a part of her character going back to the start of the RYV ongoing.

No, they expressly stated that the Pattern-Maker was another part of the mythos. I guess it’s her special destiny or whatever. Which we’re now stuck with forever, as the latest Spider-Verse miniseries illustrates.

At least when JMS did the totem thing he left room for ambiguity, at least before The Other. And that didn’t automatically tie in every other Spider-Character Marvel published.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The most upsetting thing for me are all the shots of the Things gums in Antithesis.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/ShiningComic/status/1296187559622709250

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
That's rad

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The daredevil annual was amazing and why aren’t more people talking about it

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Looking at the new Marvel Previews, and I have to wonder... How many First Nations people were involved in the production of their Native American Cover theme this month.

Zero, or just near zero?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Looking at the new Marvel Previews, and I have to wonder... How many First Nations people were involved in the production of their Native American Cover theme this month.

Zero, or just near zero?

Seriously, loving :lol: I thought the entire point was to highlight First Nations creators.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Zero, or just near zero?

It looks like the artist who did all the covers is Native American, so one?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It looks like the artist who did all the covers is Native American, so one?

Oh drat, that is awesome. Really surprised.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And again we learn the value of doing research

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

And again we learn the value of doing research

Never.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That style is really cool. Also reminds me of Tartakovsky.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

The daredevil annual was amazing and why aren’t more people talking about it

I feel like that's the entirety of Zdarsky's run summed up. Brilliant and nobody's talking about it. Me being guilty as well.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm really liking it so far. Though, and I'm sure this is on me since I'm reading all these books on Marvel Unlimited, but I'm just getting burnt out on books with villains that operate in the open and turn the world against the hero with social media/Fox News. It just feels like its been a constant in 3-4 books at a time for the last few years.

radlum
May 13, 2013

X-O posted:

I feel like that's the entirety of Zdarsky's run summed up. Brilliant and nobody's talking about it. Me being guilty as well.

I thought it was great overall, though I don't get the final page thing. Chip said on twitter that it was seeded on issue 13, but I don't get what I'm missing there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

radlum posted:

I thought it was great overall, though I don't get the final page thing. Chip said on twitter that it was seeded on issue 13, but I don't get what I'm missing there.

The other dude is Kingpin's son is what I thought it meant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

The other dude is Kingpin's son is what I thought it meant.

Is he back? I thought his mom killed him during Bendis' run (I know, comic books).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Is he back? I thought his mom killed him during Bendis' run (I know, comic books).

No, this is a previously unknown son. Not Richard Fisk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

No, this is a previously unknown son. Not Richard Fisk.

These are probably questions that would best be answered by me just reading Zdarsky's Daredevil, but,

same mother? And what is the current state of Vanessa Fisk?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vanessa is presently dead I think. Over in ASM Fisk seems to have an arrangement with Kindred, the overarching villain of the run, to bring her back at a later point. Dunno how that factors into Zdarsky’s Daredevil, if it does.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is this Fortnite event canon?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I hope Butch Fisk teams up with Princess Fisk from Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur:

There's also Richard Fisk of course, and then I think he sort of raised Maya Lopez after killing her dad-- I forget how familial that relationship was framed as but he definitely paid for her schooling.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The only thing I have not liked about Chips DD run is how Spidey, cage, and Iron Fist were all. "Oh you accidentally killed a guy while fighting...yeah, that happens." and then Spidey like...threatening Matt to not be Daredevil anymore..?

I may be misremembering the exact details, but how the other street level heroes react to Matt's manslaughter felt really off. Everything else has been aces, though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gripweed posted:

Apparently, maybe, yes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

enigmahfc posted:

The only thing I have not liked about Chips DD run is how Spidey, cage, and Iron Fist were all. "Oh you accidentally killed a guy while fighting...yeah, that happens." and then Spidey like...threatening Matt to not be Daredevil anymore..?

I may be misremembering the exact details, but how the other street level heroes react to Matt's manslaughter felt really off. Everything else has been aces, though.
Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Danny Rand pull him out of an alley and patch him up and they are in fact kind of conciliatory towards the situation:

CAGE: What happened was an accident. It's what happens when you do what we do... We've all been there. Sometimes people die. Sometimes it's our fault.
JONES: None of us go out looking for it. None of us are careless. But it happens. And you deal with it, and you move on... because it's part of the job.

Daredevil's response to this is "You're all murderers! We're all murderers!" and he decides he can't be a superhero/vigilante anymore.

Then Spider-Man confronts him (separately) at home, where he tells Matt, "You're a mess. You're in trouble and on a suicide mission. And I'm here to tell you you're done... I'm spreading the word. If any of us see you out there, attempting this, we'll stop you. We have to. Or it could be the end of all of us."

Daredevil agrees, and says he's going to quit being Daredevil.

You can argue if this is good characterization for any of the characters, but it's consistent in the sense that [Nu-Defenders] don't see this as a breaking point, but Spider-Man absolutely does, and those characterizations are consistent across the run.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Edge & Christian posted:

Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Danny Rand pull him out of an alley and patch him up and they are in fact kind of conciliatory towards the situation:

CAGE: What happened was an accident. It's what happens when you do what we do... We've all been there. Sometimes people die. Sometimes it's our fault.
JONES: None of us go out looking for it. None of us are careless. But it happens. And you deal with it, and you move on... because it's part of the job.

Daredevil's response to this is "You're all murderers! We're all murderers!" and he decides he can't be a superhero/vigilante anymore.

Then Spider-Man confronts him (separately) at home, where he tells Matt, "You're a mess. You're in trouble and on a suicide mission. And I'm here to tell you you're done... I'm spreading the word. If any of us see you out there, attempting this, we'll stop you. We have to. Or it could be the end of all of us."

You can argue if this is good characterization for any of the characters, but it's consistent in the sense that [Nu-Defenders] don't see this as a breaking point, but Spider-Man absolutely does, and those characterizations are consistent across the run.

I guess it came off as more flippant and "whatever, you killed a dude", to me, where none of them seemed especially comforting or sympathetic to him. Maybe I was just in that kind of mood.
And the Spidey thing felt so far off, with him putting someone else in time-out for letting this 'job' get to them, when he himself has had so many 'breaking point' style stories. He seemed like an aggro bro.
It all feels like something that would totally work with other characters (not sure who, but still) but fell completely flat with me with the characters they used. But like I said, maybe I need to reread it in different mood or frame of mind.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

da nexus

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

enigmahfc posted:

I guess it came off as more flippant and "whatever, you killed a dude", to me, where none of them seemed especially comforting or sympathetic to him. Maybe I was just in that kind of mood.
And the Spidey thing felt so far off, with him putting someone else in time-out for letting this 'job' get to them, when he himself has had so many 'breaking point' style stories. He seemed like an aggro bro.
It all feels like something that would totally work with other characters (not sure who, but still) but fell completely flat with me with the characters they used. But like I said, maybe I need to reread it in different mood or frame of mind.
The only times Peter's accidentally killed someone to my knowledge is Gwen Stacy & Charlie in Spider-Man vs. Wolverine, both of which weighed heavily on him. Not to mention, I don't know if the others actually have no-kill rules.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't know about Danny, but I figure Jessica and Luke have to have a no kill rule otherwise Purple Man definitely shouldn't be breathing.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Spidey feels like the one that would be sympathetic, and Cage or Jones feel like the one that should have laid down the law. I think that's what feel off to me.

But I do not get paid to write comics.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Plus it wasn't just that DD accidentally killed someone, but for the few issues before and after Matt was losing control more and more. It's not like DD being an addiction for Matt is new ground, think of Spider-Man coming in being like an intervention. "You're sick, you need help. Let this be the rock bottom you build yourself up from, don't go searching for a lower place to fall. We won't let you." It's usually a lot harder for close friends and family to say the things that need to be said in the situation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Has the punisher chimed in on Matt killing a guy?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Yvonmukluk posted:

The only times Peter's accidentally killed someone to my knowledge is Gwen Stacy & Charlie in Spider-Man vs. Wolverine, both of which weighed heavily on him. Not to mention, I don't know if the others actually have no-kill rules.

He's accidentally let a number of bad guys die. The Modular Man, some wizard named Moondark he fought with Werewolf by Night, a guy named Drom who he let age backwards out of existence, and some Terry Kavanagh doofus he used as a human shield. I also just recently reread the old annual where he learns about his parents, and he tricks some missiles into exploding some nobody Red Skull henchman too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

He's accidentally let a number of bad guys die. The Modular Man, some wizard named Moondark he fought with Werewolf by Night, a guy named Drom who he let age backwards out of existence, and some Terry Kavanagh doofus he used as a human shield. I also just recently reread the old annual where he learns about his parents, and he tricks some missiles into exploding some nobody Red Skull henchman too.

There's also the instance he was grappling with when the Kingsley Hobgoblin stuff was in full swing. He was fighting the Sin-Eater and leaped to avoid the Eater's shotgun blast... which went into the crowd.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How long was it until Spider-Man felt guilty about the web snapping Gwen's neck? I feel like when I first read through those issues years ago I was surprised as a fan who came into the comics much later that he didn't think at all about the web snapping her neck. Not just in that issue but in subsequent issues as well. Like reading Amazing Fantasy #15 for the first time and learning the famous catchphrase was only narrated and not said by Ben.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 27, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Vince MechMahon posted:

Has the punisher chimed in on Matt killing a guy?
He did, there was a whole issue (immediately preceding the one I described above) where Punisher pulls an injured Daredevil out of a firefight and basically goes, "Good job kid, glad you see things my way!" and Daredevil protests vociferously and is probably meant to be part of why he reacts so angrily to Jones/Cage/Rand trying to let him off in the following issue.

I also misunderstood your original post enigma, I thought you were bothered by Spider-Man brushing it off then being angry later. Spider-Man was always angry, which I can see from your posts you have a solid case for why that's not aligning with his character, I just wanted to clarify that it was consistent within Zdarsky DD at least.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Edge & Christian posted:

I remember during Gruenwald’s captain America run, where Cap killed an ULTIMATUM terrorist to save a crowd of people. It happened right before John Walker took over, and was one of the reasons he decided to give it up without a fight. He agonized for a bunch of issues over it, had to make public statements about how he’s not a killer, and had to deal with crazies on both sides of the issues waiter supporting or condemning him. It happened right around the time of Spider-Man vs Wolverine and when Iron Man accidentally killed the Titanium Man and agonized over it. It was a big point by Marvel writers I guess to show how “this guy ain’t the Punisher but he ain’t afraid to kill if he has to!”

Even as a kid I kept thinking “why is Cap freaking out over killing a terrorist who was about to execute dozens of innocent hostages when he was offing Nazis left and right in world war 2?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dan Didio posted:

Apparently, maybe, yes.

Oh poo poo apparently it is not only canon, you need to play it to understand the upcoming event

https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1299017714552451073?s=20