Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha what do you think Bowsette smells like LOL
This poll is closed.
Lilac 12 3.96%
Gooseberries 8 2.64%
Turtle soup 11 3.63%
Your favourite Doritos flavor (please specify) 14 4.62%
Gamer girl bath water 54 17.82%
Stop it 158 52.15%
A Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza (Pepperoni) 33 10.89%
get stick bugged lol 12 3.96%
tomato pizza 1 0.33%
Total: 303 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pretty much all fermentation-based dishes exist because it was a novel way to preserve food, and then people kept eating them anyway for a laugh i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m gonna set this leaf on fire and inhale

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I’m gonna set this leaf on fire and inhale

Probably started by people tossing it in as kindling and then getting high from their campfire

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

proud to be descended from the inventor of jenkem

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Codeacious posted:

I'm guessing cheese in the past was sometimes bad and we wouldn't eat it by today's standards? Or I'm underestimating the power of ancient cheese craftsmen.

Forget ancient cheese craftsmen, there ae some cheese made even today that'd seem like eldricht horrors to casual cheese eaters or, well, local authorities. Ever heard of casu marzu? It's an italian (well, sardinian) sheep milk cheese, a sizeable proportion of which is made of live maggots. They can jump at you from a distance of six inches.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

proud to be descended from the inventor of jenkem

you and 1/5th of the rest of the world :jerkbag:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jenkhis khan

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Chev posted:

Forget ancient cheese craftsmen, there ae some cheese made even today that'd seem like eldricht horrors to casual cheese eaters or, well, local authorities. Ever heard of casu marzu? It's an italian (well, sardinian) sheep milk cheese, a sizeable proportion of which is made of live maggots. They can jump at you from a distance of six inches.

Hell anything from unpasteurised milk is still a risk. You're got your Listeria, your Campylobacter, your E. coli and all their other friends. A veritable smorgasbord of food poisoning bactera.

There was a case a couple of years ago where a child in the UK brought their grandmother's pretty standard goats cheese into school to share and a load of people got O157 poisoning.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Probably started by people tossing it in as kindling and then getting high from their campfire

Grazing livestock are another likely source. If you notice your goats acting loopy every time they wander off into a patch of greenery, you're gonna get curious.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Im still obsessed with that photo of some Virginia lawmaker sick on a couch from drinking raw milk after the governor legalized it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1298700725657059328?s=20

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Weedle posted:

how do i become someone who is offered money to play ps2-era gta games. i wouldn't mind monetizing the hundreds of hours i've wasted on that trilogy

have you considered wasting your life on video games

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Who could have predicted that the video game industry would handle the generation transition exactly as its unfolded.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It legitimately feels like the new generation is completely pointless to me right now, I remember watching both the PS5 and XSeX pressers and I can't remember one super-highlight that made me think "I must get a new console" besides "we are forcing you to get this for exclusives"

Even back in the PS4 era the online integration seemed cool and the graphical upgrades seemed significant, like this is the most marginal improvement to date? Raytracing I guess?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It legitimately feels like the new generation is completely pointless to me right now, I remember watching both the PS5 and XSeX pressers and I can't remember one super-highlight that made me think "I must get a new console" besides "we are forcing you to get this for exclusives"

Even back in the PS4 era the online integration seemed cool and the graphical upgrades seemed significant, like this is the most marginal improvement to date? Raytracing I guess?

The whole SSD loading screen thing I'd say

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is that something that's on both consoles or just the PS5?

Because if it's not something that devs can do for all platforms the actual usage will be as much as the touchpad

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's the first time I've seen new consoles and thought I'd get one in a few years when it becomes the standard and has some worthwhile exclusives.

The SSD and ray tracing stuff is cool but not hugely different to what PCs can do right now anyway, and so few games will use it for the first few years that it'll make zero difference.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1298560835141476352?s=20

Let's drop the brand name that's become synonymous with modern VR that's a good idea

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is that something that's on both consoles or just the PS5?

Because if it's not something that devs can do for all platforms the actual usage will be as much as the touchpad

Its for both. This is a huge upgrade and going forward games on pc will start requiring SSD to even work. I recall reading somewhere that World of Warcraft is going to be one of the first games to make this switch? Which is pretty major.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

It's the first time I've seen new consoles and thought I'd get one in a few years when it becomes the standard and has some worthwhile exclusives.

The SSD and ray tracing stuff is cool but not hugely different to what PCs can do right now anyway, and so few games will use it for the first few years that it'll make zero difference.

Because the PS5 hardware was designed with removing all of the possible bottlenecks with SSD and data transfers, it can do stuff with games that are not possible on pc. The Rachet and Clank gameplay footage is a good example of this. The game on pc would require loading screens even on an SSD.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raytracing is going to be PhysX all over again. We put some floating newspapers in the background so we can add a little icon on the box.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1298703460871921664

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

welcome to facebook reality

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
at least it's been a good year for roguelites:

One Step From Eden
Risk of Rain 2
Demoncrawl
Hades should be out soonish
Spelunky 2 is also soon
I can't recall when Streets of Rogue officially came out but I'm gonna count it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

al-azad posted:

Raytracing is going to be PhysX all over again. We put some floating newspapers in the background so we can add a little icon on the box.

I hope not because done well it is a really cool effect that looks pretty amazing. Control, and Battlefield V both have really good examples of it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

Because the PS5 hardware was designed with removing all of the possible bottlenecks with SSD and data transfers, it can do stuff with games that are not possible on pc. The Rachet and Clank gameplay footage is a good example of this. The game on pc would require loading screens even on an SSD.

Sure, right now. But by the time there are games other than Ratchet & Clank that make good use of it PCs will have caught up anyway.

I've got an RTX card and Control and tbh the ray tracing is sort of underwhelming. I think that's mostly because Control doesn't look that great to begin with outside of the trippy stylistic sections though.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 26, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pa5 has much faster memory due to a special controller on the ssd that has more channels for data streaming but even if the xbox is 2-3 times slower we are talking about 2-3x 2seconds so its nbd for the average loading screen load.
It may impact actual game development though. A game that fully utilizes ps5's ssd speed relying on near instant loads during gameplay itself may not work or require some changes on xbox where the loads are a bit slower

^^
For sure but pc's at the top end of specs are like 1% of all steam users so you wont see many pc games using features you see on ps5 for a long time besides merely quicker loading until the tech becomes commonplace years and years later. Most pcs are potatos. We have has ssds for ever and pc games are still catering to platter hdds

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 26, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

Sure, right now. But by the time there are games other than Ratchet & Clank that make good use of it PCs will have caught up anyway.

Its just that this will require entirely new motherboards and CPUs. which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it will be awhile before people catch up with gaming pcs that have this tech.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

unlike the ps4 and xbone pressers which were "killzone shadowfall" and then people yelling the word tv, which certainly made me want a ps4 or xbone

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It feels these days like AAA games are as much a genre as a budget. If you really like that genre you're gonna want a PS5

Otherwise switch+PC covers just about everything

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sony sold me at Gran Turismo 7 but admittedly thats really the only exclusive I want. And who knows when that will be done. With the way GT games are developed its gonna be 5+ years.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

stev posted:

I've got an RTX card and Control and tbh the ray tracing is sort of underwhelming. I think that's mostly because Control doesn't look that great to begin with outside of the trippy stylistic sections though.

i mean PCs already have pcie4 ssds if they want them but they dont have the architecture setup to just stream into ram at full speed properly, and also until theyre comfortable to require not just an ssd but say "you must have an nvme drive that hits this transfer rate" they wont be doing the same stuff. the gpgpu stuff in ps4 and xbone never jumped over to pc despite how useful it is cos its not as easily abstracted over different hardware configs.

cheetah7071 posted:

It feels these days like AAA games are as much a genre as a budget. If you really like that genre you're gonna want a PS5

nintendo games are aaa lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Demons souls remake has been reviewed by ratings boards. Its coming soon and im gonna try and be able to get a console for it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

at least it's been a good year for roguelites:

One Step From Eden

I had not heard of this but it looks cool I might buy it on console

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Im still obsessed with that photo of some Virginia lawmaker sick on a couch from drinking raw milk after the governor legalized it

next to my local market there's a machine that dispenses raw milk into single use bottles

i know we're not in the us and aren't expected to do poo poo like "get salmonella from the store chicken" but i always quietly wondered about people who buy from it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

cheetah7071 posted:

you don't need two machines to play indie games tbh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Demons souls remake has been reviewed by ratings boards. Its coming soon and im gonna try and be able to get a console for it

Yeah if its PS5 exclusive than every single goon here is buying a ps5 regardless of their feelings on next gen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Yeah if its PS5 exclusive than every single goon here is buying a ps5 regardless of their feelings on next gen.

I'm not buying a console for a single remake of an old game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

nah, my PS3 still works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Doesn't Crystal Chronicles come out tomorrow? Who else is getting juiced up