Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
isnt affirm one of peter thiels things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Sent back a counter offer, let's see how it goes :pray:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

I interviewed this month with Affirm, an e-commerce installment loan company. Their process involves an offline coding exercise and I told them that I would do it on the condition that they provide feedback if the work was not satisfactory. As I've mentioned before, I do not like putting in time on a coding exercise, throwing it over the wall, and getting nothing constructive back.

After the recruiter agreed to the condition, I did the exercise. Although I believe that I implemented all their feature requirements, they were not satisfied and they did not provide feedback, even after a followup request to do so. Be aware of this before putting time into Affirm's recruiting process.

cheated by a banker, huh

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

raminasi posted:

is apple good to work for? i've heard some things that sound really appealing and some things that sound terrible. i'm not actively looking for a new gig but i'm getting low-key recruited by a friend of a friend and i'm wondering if it's worth pursuing. (and i don't consider interviewing zero cost so "what's the downside" is not a convincing argument to me.) e: i don't have faang on my resume right now so that would be a big bonus.

depends on which group. generally it’s pretty good, but iphones need to ship on time and someone has to make that happen.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
applied for a management position yesterday. why did I do that?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

your username is already answering a lot of questions from this post ???

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

raminasi posted:

is apple good to work for? i've heard some things that sound really appealing and some things that sound terrible. i'm not actively looking for a new gig but i'm getting low-key recruited by a friend of a friend and i'm wondering if it's worth pursuing. (and i don't consider interviewing zero cost so "what's the downside" is not a convincing argument to me.) e: i don't have faang on my resume right now so that would be a big bonus.

from what i have heard from friends who did chip design work at apple the money is very good but you absolutely must meet deadlines or your life will get terrible fast.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Management posted:

is this one of those lateral thinking puzzles

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

I interviewed this month with Affirm, an e-commerce installment loan company. Their process involves an offline coding exercise and I told them that I would do it on the condition that they provide feedback if the work was not satisfactory. As I've mentioned before, I do not like putting in time on a coding exercise, throwing it over the wall, and getting nothing constructive back.

After the recruiter agreed to the condition, I did the exercise. Although I believe that I implemented all their feature requirements, they were not satisfied and they did not provide feedback, even after a followup request to do so. Be aware of this before putting time into Affirm's recruiting process.

i'm sorry that the sneakers by installment company treated you badly

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
e: bah

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 26, 2020

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Gazpacho posted:

do tell about your compromise-free career

terrible person had a terrible experience at the terrible company in the terrible industry.

you're the one who were looking for sympathy.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
e: bah

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 26, 2020

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i've gotten emails from affirm recruiters too. it's max levchin's company, he's paypal mafia. so not peter thiel, but pretty drat close. i have seen enough products advertised for sale as "$xxxx, or $yy/mo with affirm" that i assume this company is going to be quite successful

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Management posted:

Dunno, but seeing what the role turned into after I made the jump to PO at my org makes me glad I switched out.

We went through a major reorg though and a lot of the manager responsibilities got shifted into other roles (po, scrum master, Sr architect, etc). I was doing way too much in the role for too little but now they've lost a ton of the power they used to have.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Recruiter seemed irritated that I countered their offer after I wouldn't name a number first. Only was able to get her to move $5k on base comp and $5k on signing bonus, but got $30k on RSUs, which brings me to $130k base/$60k RSUs/$15k sign-on. In terms raw base salary it's a slight pay cut going from Milwaukee to Seattle CoL-wise but I have 12-18 months to relocate and can work remotely in that time. I've got other interviews lined up but this is a position I really, really like at a company I think I'd be happy working for and it's a number I think I'll be happy with.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ThePeavstenator posted:

Recruiter seemed irritated that I countered their offer after I wouldn't name a number first.

it’s their job to feign various unpleasant emotions to make negotiation harder, don’t give it a second thought

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Recruiter seemed irritated that I countered their offer after I wouldn't name a number first. Only was able to get her to move $5k on base comp and $5k on signing bonus, but got $30k on RSUs, which brings me to $130k base/$60k RSUs/$15k sign-on. In terms raw base salary it's a slight pay cut going from Milwaukee to Seattle CoL-wise but I have 12-18 months to relocate and can work remotely in that time. I've got other interviews lined up but this is a position I really, really like at a company I think I'd be happy working for and it's a number I think I'll be happy with.

The best part of being in-demand is that you have zero obligation. Get paid while living that Milwaukee life and finish out your other searches. Who knows, you may be able to talk 'em into letting you do full remote permanently in that kind of time

raminasi posted:

it’s their job to feign various unpleasant emotions to make negotiation harder, don’t give it a second thought

Seconded, they do this all day and know the best way to deal with typical (read: spineless) applicants

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

raminasi posted:

I have no experience working there, but this Quora post left a big impression on me: https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-work-culture-at-the-IS-T-division-of-Apple

and I've seen other articles that say similar things about that division

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
had a one-hour interview with an engineer at Cruise. This was round 3 (round 1 was a screening manager, round 2 was a coding test). Cautiously optimistic.

I'm a little on the fence about leaving my current job - we're in that big push before releasing a new product, and our company has been through some crazy poo poo in the past year.
50/50 odds that me leaving would tank the project I've been on

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The Management posted:

depends on which group. generally it’s pretty good, but iphones need to ship on time and someone has to make that happen.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

from what i have heard from friends who did chip design work at apple the money is very good but you absolutely must meet deadlines or your life will get terrible fast.

cheque_some posted:

I have no experience working there, but this Quora post left a big impression on me: https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-work-culture-at-the-IS-T-division-of-Apple

and I've seen other articles that say similar things about that division

sounds like i should find out more about what specific group/division this would be. i know it would be some software thing (so not chip design or is&t) and i'm pretty sure nothing mobile.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Poopernickel posted:

had a one-hour interview with an engineer at Cruise. This was round 3 (round 1 was a screening manager, round 2 was a coding test). Cautiously optimistic.

I'm a little on the fence about leaving my current job - we're in that big push before releasing a new product, and our company has been through some crazy poo poo in the past year.

if your company felt the need to fire you it wouldn't give the slightest poo poo what effect it would have on the rest of your life. there might be good reasons to stay but "it would tank a project" isn't one of them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raminasi posted:

sounds like i should find out more about what specific group/division this would be. i know it would be some software thing (so not chip design or is&t) and i'm pretty sure nothing mobile.

never forget: they are allowed to bait and switch

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

raminasi posted:

in broad terms what kind of software do you do?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Poopernickel posted:

lol I have an interview with them coming up. I heard some bad stuff about their culture so I’m doing it more for interview practice and morbid curiosity

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

lol I have an interview with them coming up. I heard some bad stuff about their culture so I’m doing it more for interview practice and morbid curiosity

can you elaborate a little more?

possible I wouldn't want to leave my current job for one that's gonna be a tire fire.

I've never worked in the bay before, so I'm not super in-tune with the industry gossip

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 27, 2020

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my understanding is that it’s incompetent management and power struggles between groups. mind you this is from a fairly bitter person that left Cruise

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if any of y’all work at the intersection of supply chain and tech let me know

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Captain Foo posted:

if any of y’all work at the intersection of supply chain and tech let me know

my last job that was a total trash fire had an incredible product that was poorly built with outsourced labor but they also had no competition so there was no force for them to ever improve. they went under a few years ago and were bought up by another supply chain company and things may be better now. i still know a bunch of people who work there and may be able to reach out to a few if you want

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i'm weighing whether or not to interview with amazon their process seems painful. and also they're amazon

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my last job that was a total trash fire had an incredible product that was poorly built with outsourced labor but they also had no competition so there was no force for them to ever improve. they went under a few years ago and were bought up by another supply chain company and things may be better now. i still know a bunch of people who work there and may be able to reach out to a few if you want

if these folks are in PA there might be a really good fit

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mila kunis posted:

i'm weighing whether or not to interview with amazon their process seems painful. and also they're amazon

my interview at Amazon was a really good experience

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

my interview at Amazon was a really good experience

i've never interviewed at a faang before and everything i've read about the whiteboarding stuff seems dreadful

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Captain Foo posted:

if these folks are in PA there might be a really good fit

i worked in arlington va but no clue where the acquiring company has offices. also they were pretty loose on 100% work from home even before the roni

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i worked in arlington va but no clue where the acquiring company has offices. also they were pretty loose on 100% work from home even before the roni

gotcha

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's just a whiteboard problem. people freak out about it because they're not good at it.* like yes, it's annoying to do algo problems on a whiteboard, but practically it's fine. of course there's gonna be terrible interviews and interviewers that ask dumbass questions that are gotchas or whatever, but it's not actually a huge deal. even if it's terrible, it's not like you're out much (especially when the whole thing is gonna be over video chat anyway)

everybody's experience will be different, but it's not like there's something meaningfully different between faang interviews and interviews at the smaller companies that ape their practices

to be fair, my amazon interview was for SDE, so maybe they save the cRaZy questions for whatever they call their software engineers. but dont sell yourself short, it's fine. and if it sucks, it's still fine.

* im not very good at it either, but I don't really mind if I don't know the answer to a problem like that. I mean I'd rather get it right obviously, but it's a crap shoot and I've managed to not take it as a referendum on my self-worth

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 27, 2020

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
those dumb gotcha questions can flush a lot of your time down the toilet

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

it's just a whiteboard problem. people freak out about it because they're not good at it.* like yes, it's annoying to do algo problems on a whiteboard, but practically it's fine. of course there's gonna be terrible interviews and interviewers that ask dumbass questions that are gotchas or whatever, but it's not actually a huge deal. even if it's terrible, it's not like you're out much (especially when the whole thing is gonna be over video chat anyway)

everybody's experience will be different, but it's not like there's something meaningfully different between faang interviews and interviews at the smaller companies that ape their practices

to be fair, my amazon interview was for SDE, so maybe they save the cRaZy questions for whatever they call their software engineers. but dont sell yourself short, it's fine. and if it sucks, it's still fine.

* im not very good at it either, but I don't really mind if I don't know the answer to a problem like that. I mean I'd rather get it right obviously, but it's a crap shoot and I've managed to not take it as a referendum on my self-worth

ty

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Achmed Jones posted:

you don’t need to know the answer. the point of the question is that it is one where you could contrive a solution using your existing knowledge. that doesn’t mean that you’ll always get the answer. sometimes the solution doesn’t strike you, or you can’t get past some aspect. that’s fine. your job is to show the interviewer your thinking process. talk it through, say what you are trying to do and how you plan to do it. if you’re stuck, state what you think you need to get to, what you have now, and what’s stopping you from making it work. a good interviewer will give you some feedback and try to guide you towards the important steps you need to take. if you don’t have a functional solution at the end, but you showed the interviewer that you know how to attack a problem, how to ask for relevant information and constraints, and how to write some code, then you’ve done your job. if you just stand up and write the perfect answer like a dot matrix printer, all the interviewer has learned is that you’ve memorized the answer.

a lot of these problems have a “clever” answer that nobody knows unless they’ve read it somewhere. the interviewer knows it. if they’re a jerk they might be feeling pretty smug about it. don’t worry about that. write an answer that is correct. after that mention some of the issues in your code and how you would address or optimize them if necessary. don’t feel bad when you look up the problem later and find the clever answer. again, if you came up with it, most interviewers will assume you’ve seen the problem and they’ve learned nothing. the jerks will be annoyed that they can’t be smug anymore.

finally, there are dumbass interviewers, interviewers with ego trips, and just bad questions. you will get some of these at one time or another, and the interview will probably not go well. it happens. move on with your life and find the one that does work out.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The Management posted:

in broad terms what kind of software do you do?

putting web skins in front of databases

i did some windows desktop stuff too once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have never had to do an algo on a whiteboard for any interview ever