Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OK, tell me how to make this work in the rain. It rained non-stop for a month when I first tried to start bike commuting in February. It was dry all summer while I was quarantined. Now I'm back at work and it's raining every day again.

Fenders, rain jacket, what else? Hat?

Distance of your commute, ambient temp, and the facilities available at your workplace (shower/changing area/locker/etc.) can greatly influence which method will be best for you.

When I used to have a 2mi commute, I would typically go full rainsuit (jacket, pants, gaiters/shoe covers) if it was less than 70*F and I'd show up with only wet hands and a wet face even in a downpour. But if you have a long ride or it's hot outside, you'll be wetter from sweat than from rain with that setup.

You definitely need a hood/helmet brim as well because getting slapped in the eyes repeatedly with water drops is dangerous/blinding, especially if you wear contacts. Visibility with glasses is even worse. I've never owned a helmet with one of those visor things and I always wondered if they would work if you Rain-X'd them or something equivalent.

Fenders are amazingly helpful for keeping you dry/drier. Definitely belong on any commuter bike unless you live in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks all, good ideas. My commute is only 2 miles, and I have some freedom to set up a fan and change clothes. I'll look into shoe covers and some of the other things. I'd like to avoid fenders if I can just because it seems like a big addition to the bike for only two miles, but idk

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I keep a set of these roll up fenders in my bag for unexpected rainy rides. They aren't perfect, but they'll help keep you dry-ish while also being easy enough to keep on hand. https://musguard.com/

If I start the day knowing I'm going to be riding in the wet, I'll go with one of these, which is largely the same in concept, but better in practice. I used to keep this in my bag, but the ones from Musguard are slightly more packable https://rear end-savers.com/products/fendor-bendor-4-regular

Neither are as good as REAL fenders, but I'm riding a track bike most days, so I can't run REAL fenders anyway.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'd like to avoid fenders if I can just because it seems like a big addition to the bike for only two miles, but idk
If you get > 30 days of rain, you should start with full coverage fenders.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

The director of my local bike advocacy organisation (@nm, Sacramento) called my my bike a "POS" and I don't know what to do.

It's a 2017 aluminium Bianchi which I was explicitly advised in this thread against buying!

https://imgur.com/a/4ysubTx

In my mind I should write a blog about how great my bike is. Like, it's great for getting to work and buying groceries.

// Lol, the replies to my earlier post are good. Obviously I didn't listen but that guy Hadlock offering to steal my bike to quicken the pain was funny.

alanthecat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 27, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

alanthecat posted:

The director of my local bike advocacy organisation (@nm, Sacramento) called my my bike a "POS" and I don't know what to do.

It's a 2017 aluminium Bianchi which I was explicitly advised in this thread against buying!

In my mind I should write a blog about how great my bike is. Like, it's great for getting to work and buying groceries.

// Lol, the replies to my earlier post are good. Obviously I didn't listen but that guy Hadlock offering to steal my bike to quicken the pain was funny.

Man it's like you've never looked at an accessory and NOT purchased it.

Do you have some impulso control issues?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

alanthecat posted:

Wait, what?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Hey guys, Netherlands checking in! Are you all still racing to work on time trial bikes over there in the rest of the world or have some of you seen the light and switched to practical ones?

alanthecat posted:

oh, lmao :yikes:

Unburned Account
May 22, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Entropist posted:

Hey guys, Netherlands checking in! Are you all still racing to work on time trial bikes over there in the rest of the world or have some of you seen the light and switched to practical ones?

oh, lmao :yikes:

Weird how so many socially awkward people in the bike threads manage to find solace in cycling while you remain a slow loser destined to irritate the gently caress out of everyone you manage to fool into having a conversation with you.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm sorry for those people who fell for that stuff. If that is true, please stop indoctrinating more nerds.

Gotta go fast? No, the cult of time attack advocated in this thread is not the only way! Have a look how it's done in the only country where bike commuting is a normal and widespread practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hc1Ulwkew

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Entropist posted:

I'm sorry for those people who fell for that stuff. If that is true, please stop indoctrinating more nerds.

Gotta go fast? No, the cult of time attack advocated in this thread is not the only way! Have a look how it's done in the only country where bike commuting is a normal and widespread practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hc1Ulwkew

I don't gotta do poo poo. I like going fast.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Entropist posted:

Have a look how it's done in the only country where bike commuting is a normal and widespread practice:

Most people aren't gonna be moving countries to bike commute.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Entropist posted:

Pretty hosed up Asian erasure right here.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I ride a folding bike and don't think I've ever gone faster than 10mph on a flat stretch with no elevation change :shobon:

There are plenty of people here who buy cheap bikes from a department store and pedal along slowly on the sidewalk to work or on errands, but demographically aren't your typical SA poster so you just don't hear from them. I'd say they outnumber the people on fancy bikes in my city

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

maybe the poster with the years-long history of bad faith trolling is simply mistaken this time, better correct him just in case

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

tuyop posted:

I don't gotta do poo poo. I like going fast.

Yeah exactly. Also, the commuting thread is where people ride whatever the hell thing they got off craigslist, so it's a pretty weak troll

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mauser posted:

The old man vibes are so strong it's hard to.type on.this.phoneeee

I'm so old that my first published computer game shipped on CASSETTE TAPE.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Entropist posted:

If anyone is after a dutch-style bike in the UK, there are some decent looking ones in the Chain Reaction sale right now for £300-£400. I'm tempted but I'm out of bike storage space in my flat.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/laventino-glide-3-ladies-urban-bike/rp-prod199735

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/van-tuyl-donna-n8-dames-urban-bike-2020-/rp-prod199744

nb I posted the step-thru versions for Entropist's benefit, and I'm aware the RRPs are inflated.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Commuted on this yesterday, it was nice because my 6 mile ride in only took 18min instead the 25+ it would be on my "commuter" bike. (it takes 23 on the full suspension mtb, and 19-20 on the cx/gravel bike).

You can see that it's set up for commuting because it has lights, a pump, and a flat kit.

Also meant I could go on a bike ride straight from work. Which is the real reason I never actually ride my commuter bike.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 27, 2020

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

So after ordering my bike back in April, shipping being delayed a month due to covid, shipping being delayed again due to weather, UPS losing the package, re-ordering it, and waiting 2 more months because the bike was back ordered, I finally have my new commuter!

Having never ridden anything other than cheap walmart bikes my whole life I never knew a ride could be so good. I love the belt drive, shifting is smooth as butter, and it is quite the looker.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

McPhearson posted:

shipping being delayed again due to weather,

Fenders

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

maybe the poster with the years-long history of bad faith trolling is simply mistaken this time, better correct him just in case

one of my hotter takes in general is that i think he's partially right lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

well yeah it’s hard to troll well if you spout complete nonsense, you need some facts in there first to twist and embellish and misrepresent

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Following up on earlier in this thread, I did buy an ebike, but in the meantime I am getting familiar to being in the saddle again with my Salsa Fargo. I'm curious to know if people have gear suggestions for biking in above body heat temperatures. Used to, I was using those cooling gaiters and a lot of water, and I'm looking at those sunblocker sleeves to go with all the Lycra. Any other recommendations for riding in the heat?

I also started using Komoot to try and look for quieter roads but I think it's not super popular in Austin. I'll have to be the one making all the highlights over here!

e: also, any tips for pre/post ride stretches and avoiding saddle sores?

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 27, 2020

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

aldantefax posted:

I also started using Komoot to try and look for quieter roads but I think it's not super popular in Austin. I'll have to be the one making all the highlights over here!

I had never heard of Komoot before. I checked for a route for my regular commute and it actually found a path that pretty much keeps me off the main road! It does seem to be pretty hit or miss though; I tried getting a new route to this awesome burger place and it told me to ignore the bike paths and cut straight through a naval base.
And it looks like Strava's route planner is a paid feature now :smith:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol stretching before or after rides

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
After coming home I stretch my arm towards the beer bottle and deadlift it to my face.

The more bike commuting is made to look like a sport that requires stuff like stretching and special gear, the less appealing it becomes to the vast majority of the population. I would say that if you commute like it's a race or cardio session, then you follow the stretching advice from the bike racing threads in the exercise forum, and in other cases, you do the same stretches as those you do before you walk to the bus stop, i.e. none.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Entropist posted:

After coming home I stretch my arm towards the beer bottle and deadlift it to my face.

The more bike commuting is made to look like a sport that requires stuff like stretching and special gear, the less appealing it becomes to the vast majority of the population. I would say that if you commute like it's a race or cardio session, then you follow the stretching advice from the bike racing threads in the exercise forum, and in other cases, you do the same stretches as those you do before you walk to the bus stop, i.e. none.

I choose.. the worst combination of these things.

Thanks though.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Entropist posted:

The more bike commuting is made to look like a sport that requires stuff like stretching and special gear, the less appealing it becomes to the vast majority of the population.

I liked you better when you were HorseLord.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The worst part about Entropist is that they are in a great position to provide a cool biking perspective, especially in this thread, but instead they poo poo on everyone for taking commuting "too seriously", aka, not doing it the way they do. I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a solid 2 years of mostly lurking before coming to this realization. And my perspective is that of someone who got into bikes from commuting to classes in undergrad/grad school/early academic jobs on an old rear end hardtail MTB I got as a teenager that I would probably still ride to this day if it hadn't been stolen.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
commuting in the time of covid

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

aparmenideanmonad posted:

The worst part about Entropist is that they are in a great position to provide a cool biking perspective, especially in this thread, but instead they poo poo on everyone for taking commuting "too seriously", aka, not doing it the way they do. I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a solid 2 years of mostly lurking before coming to this realization. And my perspective is that of someone who got into bikes from commuting to classes in undergrad/grad school/early academic jobs on an old rear end hardtail MTB I got as a teenager that I would probably still ride to this day if it hadn't been stolen.

This is super astute.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Well, it did take at least 2 years of getting shat on every time I made a post here to arrive to this particular way of presenting my perspective. But it's a pretty genuine perspective, you'll find similar ideas expressed by well put together channels like Bicycle Dutch and Not Just Bikes. I'm not sure what else I can say about it that hasn't already been said by them or that I haven't already tried to express in the past here. But if there's anything you want to know about bike commuting in a culture where it is normalized and well-supported by infrastructure, feel free to ask!

p.s. About the Asian perspective mentioned earlier, my sister lives in Tokyo and bike commutes there and yeah no, I'm not erasing things by saying it's not normal there to commute by bike. There is no dedicated infra (you use the sidewalk and pedestrian lights, or the roads) and you are definitely a second class citizen, to the extent that you aren't already by being a foreigner.

And when there is some layer of paint that might hint at the existence of bikes, everyone parks on it. This stuff is what she encounters daily - she's tried to count these and got to about 150 lane-blocking parked cars in a single commute run. That does not happen here, it is shocking to Dutch people. So, no, it does not compare and any stories of bike-friendliness there are a myth. The only nice thing is that you don't even need to think about locking a bike, nothing will happen to it.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I would not bike around Tokyo, no way.

Kyoto, however, is a totally different story! Had a great time biking around Kyoto on a mamachari when we were holidaying with our two year old daughter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Entropist posted:

p.s. About the Asian perspective mentioned earlier, my sister lives in Tokyo and bike commutes there and yeah no, I'm not erasing things by saying it's not normal there to commute by bike. There is no dedicated infra

So, no, it does not compare and any stories of bike-friendliness there are a myth. The only nice thing is that you don't even need to think about locking a bike, nothing will happen to it.

It’s really loving racist to equate Tokyo’s cycling infrastructure with all of Asia’s, based on your sister’s experience no less.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

all of europe actually has great cycling infrastructure, i know because i saw a photo of utrecht once

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Entropist posted:

Well, it did take at least 2 years of getting shat on every time I made a post here to arrive to this particular way of presenting my perspective. But it's a pretty genuine perspective, you'll find similar ideas expressed by well put together channels like Bicycle Dutch and Not Just Bikes. I'm not sure what else I can say about it that hasn't already been said by them or that I haven't already tried to express in the past here. But if there's anything you want to know about bike commuting in a culture where it is normalized and well-supported by infrastructure, feel free to ask!
Would be cool and good to hear from a seasoned rider like yourself who happens to participate in this forum about awesome Dutch bike and bike riding stuff that you experience regularly so the rest of us can be jealous and hopeful of a better state of affairs in the relatively hostile-to-bikes places that we live. I agree that you have been poo poo on by some people unfairly in the past, but that's only going to get worse if you continue to trickle all of your good information between heavy gushes of disdain for cultures and riding preferences that are different from your own, especially when some of these things are relevant to riding safely in places that aren't the Netherlands.

To dial back the thread meta-posting, I still have yet to bike commute since moving and getting a new job this spring. It would be about 17 miles and 90ish minutes one way with some hills, so it's not something I'd do daily, but it would be a nice way to occasionally replace an hour of driving with three hours of biking. I do have access to a full gym/locker room/shower situation at work that would make it possible to put that many sweaty miles in and still be presentable. Unfortunately, all of those facilities are closed at the moment due to COVID. Maybe next year!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I just wanna know if the concept of turning something that's primarily a utilitarian task into something that is enjoyable at the same time is completely alien to Dutch people as a culture, or just you.

Yes I'm using my bike to get from my home to my job but why the hell wouldn't I try to make it fun if I could.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Would be cool and good to hear from a seasoned rider like yourself who happens to participate in this forum about awesome Dutch bike and bike riding stuff that you experience regularly so the rest of us can be jealous and hopeful of a better state of affairs in the relatively hostile-to-bikes places that we live.
If Dutch bike infrastructure is so good, why does Entropist have so much trouble staying in his lane? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Entropist posted:

Ah, I have back and flexibility problems, so this is more of a "how to enjoy biking as a commute method but also not spend the rest of the day and following day without pain in the butt and lower back" kind of question. If that's reserved exclusively for athletes and bike racers, then I'll see myself out.

Similarly, I'm also looking to commute in all seasons up and downhill, and Austin's summers regularly crest over 100F during the daytime. With my commute being 5 to 10 miles one way, I am looking to not die from heat exhaustion and still be able to go about the rest of my day. I also was under the impression this was the thread for commuting help and advice, but again, I am mistaken.

e.pilot posted:

lol stretching before or after rides

Well, glad someone got a laugh!