Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I was playing dinosaurs in Bo1. Boarding for one extremely specific matchup seems like a poor decision. It just sucks when you run into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

thespaceinvader posted:

I think this is going to be kind of a weird standard given that I understand they're shooting for a generally lower power level than with ELD, IKO and THB.

Like, if they're aiming to lower the power level, unless they're including some serious counters to the mechanics in those sets that aren't themselves good, it wouldn't surprise me to see decks from those sets continuing to just dominate right up until this time next year.

It's gonna be tough, for instance to publish something better as an overall mechanic than Adventures, and the Adventure decks don't really need new stuff. Like, new Wish board cards are nice, but otherwise you can make a top tier deck with literally only cards from Eldraine and lands. And I don't think those decks are gonna go away, even though I'm still fricking terrible at playing them :(

They're looking for a lower power level, but nobody knows just how much lower. The stated goal is to ramp up the power level through the block (well...non-block. What do they call it now?) so the first set is the weakest, the last set is the strongest. I don't think that accomplished that with Eldraine -> Ikoria, but it is the goal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Maining a solid body that deals with enchantments for Bo1 seems like a pretty good idea in general though?

It's not like you're gonna be sad to cast a 3/4 for 3 even if the upside doesn't go off.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Maining a solid body that deals with enchantments for Bo1 seems like a pretty good idea in general though?

It's not like you're gonna be sad to cast a 3/4 for 3 even if the upside doesn't go off.

If the combo is enough of a problem in historic, sure. Historic decks aren't entirely happy to just play a 3/4 for 3 mana. The power level is a little higher.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

house of the dad posted:

Do you even play magic.

do you?

guess not

but yes, if you're going to play the coin flip format enough to complain about it, you should probably put some safety valves in your deck

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

house of the dad posted:

If the combo is enough of a problem in historic, sure. Historic decks aren't entirely happy to just play a 3/4 for 3 mana. The power level is a little higher.

if you're going to play bo1, you need to play some of the cards that deal with things that your deck can't usually deal with since you can't lead with your most effective general deck for game 1 and board in answers games 2 and 3.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

house of the dad posted:

I was playing dinosaurs in Bo1. Boarding for one extremely specific matchup seems like a poor decision. It just sucks when you run into it.

If you're not willing to say "I'm going to auto-lose to this deck and I'm okay with that", then you need to have a plan for beating it in bo1. That could be by winning faster than they can get set up, or it could be by having cards that can interact after they do set it up.

It doesn't sound like you're okay with auto-losing, so the people suggesting cards that give you game in that matchup but still aren't embarrassing in other matchups are being pretty reasonable. Nobody's suggesting narrow cards that are totally dead against other decks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

house of the dad posted:

I don't play historic, it's true, but I'm still assuming that Historic has more enchantments and artifacts than just this one combo?

What I'm saying is that to build good Bo1 decks you sometimes need to either include modal cards that aren't quite as useful if you don't get to pay off all the modes, or accept that sometimes you get humped by bad matchups you don't have answers to.

If you don't like Brontodon, try Gemrazer. It's not a dinosaur, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Anyway, M19 Vivian has a great + for any midrange beater deck, and her - will happily answer enchantments for you.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Thank you guys for all the helpful historic dinosaurs suggestions. I will take them into account.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

On a completely different note, because I keep wondering about it, what's the theoretical maximum power you can swing with on turn 2 that doesn't involve one-round pumps?

Is it possible to do better than 3 Fervent Champions?

7 is doable if you don't care about it staying on the board with any 1-power drop and 2 Infuriate, can you get to 8? I can't think of a red 2-x for 1 though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Scorch Spitter is practically a 2/1 for 1, though on turn two it's been the same amount of damage as any hasty 1-drop.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ah true, yeah, Spitter gets to 8.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

thespaceinvader posted:

On a completely different note, because I keep wondering about it, what's the theoretical maximum power you can swing with on turn 2 that doesn't involve one-round pumps?

7 is doable if you don't care about it staying on the board with any 1-power drop and 2 Infuriate, can you get to 8? I can't think of a red 2-x for 1 though.

Burning Tree Emissary can have 4 2/2s on the board on turn 2 with a perfect draw (in Historic). I've personally done it with 3.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Without single round pumps, 10 is the highest I can go:
T1: Plains > Isamaru, Hound of Konda > Mox Amber > Cartouche of Solidarity -> 3x Ornithopter or Tormod's Crypt
T2: All That Glitters on Isamaru, who will now be a 9/9(2/2 base, +1/+1 Cartouche, +6/+6 Glitters). The Cartouche's 1/1 warrior token means you swing for 10 total.
*If you're on the draw you can add another Ornithopter to that for 11 total.

With single round pumps, 12
T1: Torch Courier, 4x Tormod's Crypt,
T2: Slaughter-Priest of Mogis. Sacrifice the Courier to haste the Slaughter-Priest, then sacrifice the 4 Crypts. 5 sacrifices gives the Slaughter-Priest +10/0 for a 12/2 on T2.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 27, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shooting Blanks posted:

Burning Tree Emissary can have 4 2/2s on the board on turn 2 with a perfect draw (in Historic). I've personally done it with 3.

They're not swinging on turn 2 though

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Haha wow that Slaughter-Priest/Tormod's Crypt one is amazing.

I do like this kind of theory-op.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If it's in Historic and you're on the draw you could go

t1: Stomping Ground, Soulscar Mage
t2: Green land, 4x Rosethorn Acolyte adventure with the last two making red, 2x Infuriate

to get to 13 if I'm counting right

e: I guess it doesn't need to be Stomping Ground actually, it could just be Mountain + Forest and you could chain all the Rosethorns off the Forest and use the last one for Infuriate #1 and the Mountain for Infuriate #2

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 27, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I have some bad news for you...

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lone Goat posted:

I have some bad news for you...

Release my beautiful child

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Anyone have hot takes on well-positioned decks in the Historic Mythic meta? I'm prepping for the MCQ in September and am trying to figure out what decks to practice with

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rethought it.

T1: RG or BG shock land, Gilded Goose, 4x Tormod's Crypt.
T1: Land, slaughter-priest, cast torch courier using the goose. Sac the courier and crypts. +12/+0 from six sacrifices, swing for 14.

Takes 9 cards, so only works on the draw.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

wei posted:

Anyone have hot takes on well-positioned decks in the Historic Mythic meta? I'm prepping for the MCQ in September and am trying to figure out what decks to practice with

UW Auras punishes greed
GBx Coco/Citadel is probably the best grindy deck
RB(G) Sacrifice is the other grindy deck
UWx Control is filling a familiar slot
Sultai Ramp has it all
Red Burn

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eej posted:

Red Burn
I noticed, coming back to standard, that damage from red spells is substantially nerfed now. I made my peace with lightning bolt being too good, but Incinerate? It seems like very few spells can go to the dome anymore, instead being "creature or PW"

ISs this a conscious decision to make red instants just that much worse to encourage creature strats?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well, Regenerate is a retired keyword now so Lightning Strike is basically the same thing now

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

I noticed, coming back to standard, that damage from red spells is substantially nerfed now. I made my peace with lightning bolt being too good, but Incinerate? It seems like very few spells can go to the dome anymore, instead being "creature or PW"

ISs this a conscious decision to make red instants just that much worse to encourage creature strats?

Strong burn actually makes creature aggro good because it gives it reach to finish people off. They don't seem to want hyper efficient RDW running rampant because that makes the slower decks bad. Semi-efficient burn spells that just dont go to the dome seem to be there to ensure red is a removal option still and red needs a way to deal with Walkers on the board or it just sucks.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
print fireblast into historic cowards

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Big update? It's re-downloading the client.

[edit]They added the preorders for zendikar.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 27, 2020

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jabor posted:

Scorch Spitter is practically a 2/1 for 1, though on turn two it's been the same amount of damage as any hasty 1-drop.

It's actually better than that in a lot of decks, as there are a handful of mechanics that trigger off of player damage (which happens regardless of if they block it) and a few things which care about power levels of 1.

Plus it's super cute. I'm glad my happy lizard friend got some competitive action.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Time posted:

print fireblast into historic cowards

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pJyOtEzLWo

paper magic, I know, but this is an all-timer from my hero

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Eej posted:

This deck gets completely annihilated by Disdainful Stroke fwiw

we... probably have more Karns than they have Disdainful Stroke, especially in the Bo1 queues this was designed for, and decks that run Disdainful stroke are also sometimes just loving dead to the turn 3 nissa draw? We definitely have more 4+ CMC bombs than nearly anything has counters for period.

I mean, yeah, it's pretty self-evident that a 2cmc answer to a 4cmc bomb can be game winning, but if you're looking at this list as a Bo1 queue list and thinking that Disdainful Stroke is a problem, uh, you're having a really different experience of the meta than I am....

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Is the article about the Zendikar mastery pass up yet?

Does it look like it's goign to be reasonable value?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Is the article about the Zendikar mastery pass up yet?

Does it look like it's goign to be reasonable value?

To pose a follow up newbie question, is it worth it to get the $50 preorder promo with the mastery pass and draft tokens with the planeswalker stuff in it? I was planning on getting the $50 packs preorder, now I'm wondering if it's a value to get both.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Get both planeswalker bundles, you'll get a free pet. Best Value.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Anyone know what the 1.5GB patch was?

Edit: NM, hadn't even checked the store

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 27, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nitramster posted:

To pose a follow up newbie question, is it worth it to get the $50 preorder promo with the mastery pass and draft tokens with the planeswalker stuff in it? I was planning on getting the $50 packs preorder, now I'm wondering if it's a value to get both.

If the pass is worthwhile, the preorder bundle is usually better value than spending the equivalent amount on gems, but IIRC the packs bundle is usually slightly worse value than buying gems at the best rate and spending them on packs.

The pre-order coming with free pass levels is actually a point against it in my book though as I'm two weeks out from the new set and already levelled out of the rewards.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Anyone know what the 1.5GB patch was?

Releasing the pre-orders usually comes with a big patch. Presumably new artwork assets and models and stuff.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I got both things because I'm a sucker. My new rocky boy is swell. His head spins and he can explode and extra bonus points for not having any annoying sounds attached so far that I've noticed.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Love how one of the preorder bundles has the new Jace, but the text box for his card overflows and there's no way to scroll down in the store screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

From the breakdown of the mastery pass:

CUSTOMIZABLE EMOTES
10x Text Emotes
5x Sticker Emotes

Not sure what this is going to entail but I guess we're getting more emotes.