Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dedian posted:

Is D still bound to set heading indicator? Also these popups can be disabled in Assistance > Notification > Piloting & Controls Notifications (I think), if they're not useful -- sometimes they are but usually not
I haven't touched the keyboard bindings and it does nothing for me too. I'm also constantly getting these helpful tips:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Just turn off all the notifications and enjoy flying free of that nonsense.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Charles posted:

Without a slip gauge, how do you know if your turn is coordinated? Not all planes have them. Seems like a hard skill to learn without "feel"?

In Garmin equipped planes it's the horizontal bar under the "pointer" for the bank angle indicator.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

mobby_6kl posted:

I haven't touched the keyboard bindings and it does nothing for me too. I'm also constantly getting these helpful tips:

I forget which turns off the :eng101: crap but do that immediately. It'd be cool to have notifications like "Hey, airspeed under 10000 feet is limited to X" but instead it's just crap about the parking brake and how to raise the front of your plane.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Is rolling out onto the runway and then putting the parking brake on before you take off actually A Thing in real life?

Every single time I start a flight on the runway I forget to turn the parking brake off until the popup yells at me for throttling up with it still on :sweatdrop:

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

My experience of real flying is youtube videos and being a passenger - the GA pilots will do a "run up" which is a checklist and test on some tarmac just short of the runway - magnetos and poo poo like that, then they will roll in and just floor it to take off. Big stuff i've flown on they do a running start anyway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Icedude posted:

Is rolling out onto the runway and then putting the parking brake on before you take off actually A Thing in real life?

Every single time I start a flight on the runway I forget to turn the parking brake off until the popup yells at me for throttling up with it still on :sweatdrop:

Parking brakes are for parking, and not even all the time then. Lots of aircraft (particularly larger airplanes) aren't supposed to be fueled, loaded, or unloaded with them set. Since the weight on the braked wheels isn't always straight down, leaving the brakes set during those operations can put odd loads on the gear or tires. It"s generally a better habit to just chock the airplane whenever it's not moving, and tie it down.

More amusingly, raise your hand if you've ever finished the preflight, gotten into the airplane, started the engine, and had the instructor stare knowingly at you while you tried to deduce why the airplane wont move.

(Because the tail is still tied down you gently caress-up.)

*raises his hand in shame*

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Man, all this talk of WW2 planes has me itching to reinstall IL-2. I uninstalled it a month ago because I hadn't played it in a minute and thought "eh, the HOTAS is probably just gonna rest for a while", and then all this happened and I realized it was on gamepass.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

I forget which turns off the :eng101: crap but do that immediately. It'd be cool to have notifications like "Hey, airspeed under 10000 feet is limited to X" but instead it's just crap about the parking brake and how to raise the front of your plane.
Yeah I kept this on so far because I thought something useful might come up, and it did in the Citation (max airspeed as you said) but mostly it's this crap.

E:. I never played any of the IL-2 games, which one would be the best to try nowadays?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 27, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

So does the autopilot just do random stuff when you're trying to fly? Even with the loving Pipistrel it's like flipping the switch activates amazing new acrobatic abilities as it plunges into a death spiral. It's barely above an ultralight and just holding 8000 ASL seems to be the secret command to plunge through the earth from wherever in the US I'm flying back to Slovenia. Flip on the HDG switch and it decides to do it upside down. I've been doing this poo poo since FS4 and now it's broken in new ways I can't even imagine.

The 747 yo-yos and can’t maintain altitude on AP.

It’s bugged. I’m gonna slow my roll so I don’t get my fill before it’s patched.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So are there any good 3rd party flight plan tools available that work with this yet? I’m getting a little more into onair and I’d like to start setting up my evening flights during lunch or earlier in the day so I can just open up the sim, load the plan, and get flying

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Wooooo I can finally get this gaaaame. Super excited. :)

I've been reading the cool stuff and teachings you guys have been sharing in the thread. I have a pilot's license so I'd love to share what knowledge I remember! :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Also trust your gut a little bit based on the VFR map - some navlog written instructions seem super vague and weird. Trust the heading and ETE more than the instructions. Not that you aught to ignore them entirely, but they aren’t always clear. Pay attention to mountains/elevation and water features on the VFR map because those can translate easily to landmarks you can see.

I did the first leg of one of them and I navigated based on the isolines on the map and matched them to features I saw. Mostly because I don't know what state route 78 is and it wasn't marked on the map.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If anyone has a lazy 60k laying spare in FSEconomy, then I could finally get a decent 4+ seater IFR/AP/GPS airframe - I'm in Goon Air as bjw86 if anyone's feeling generous :biglips:

Really having a good time flying around the Gulf doing jobs in MSFS2020 though, the weather effects seem a bit jank at the moment (29kt winds with 60kt gusts in Louisiana and the windsock is barely moving.)

March of the Pigs
Sep 25, 2005
the pigs have won tonight
With no slip indicator, to perform a standard turn flying IMC take your TAS and divide by 10 then add half the result, 100kt/10=10+(10/2)= 15° of bank

150kt/10=15+(15/2)=23°ish of bank

Don't exceed 30° of bank under IMC, and don't exceed 15° bank above F310(this is just high altitude safety, probably doesn't matter in MSFS)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So are there any good 3rd party flight plan tools available that work with this yet? I’m getting a little more into onair and I’d like to start setting up my evening flights during lunch or earlier in the day so I can just open up the sim, load the plan, and get flying

What features do you want from the "3rd party flight plan tools"?

MSFS actually uses the same file formats as FSX and P3d for flight plans, so any planner that can output .pln. files should work just fine, as long as you verify that the departure and arrival airports are actually in MSFS.

I personally like LittleNavMap, since it's pretty straightforward to use, and lets you overlay the flight plan on a bunch of different maps, including sectional charts if you're flying in the US.

Skyvector.com is also handy for planning stuff on the US, but you'll need another program to convert it's output to a .pln.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was flying around northern lake Michigan and I found a town with an airport becon in the middle of a neighborhood. The airport was a few miles away.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zero One posted:

I was flying around northern lake Michigan and I found a town with an airport becon in the middle of a neighborhood. The airport was a few miles away.
Did you oblige and land in the neighborhood?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

azflyboy posted:

MSFS actually uses the same file formats as FSX and P3d for flight plans, so any planner that can output .pln. files should work just fine, as long as you verify that the departure and arrival airports are actually in MSFS.

I personally like LittleNavMap, since it's pretty straightforward to use, and lets you overlay the flight plan on a bunch of different maps, including sectional charts if you're flying in the US.

Skyvector.com is also handy for planning stuff on the US, but you'll need another program to convert it's output to a .pln.

Knowing the above, you can make good use of https://simbrief.com for output (they have a downloader app that can map to the FS2020 flight plan directory). You can enter a text route derived from any source (like SkyVector), select your aircraft from a list (or add your own with known performance tables). It'll handle fuel planning for you for the most part if you enter your weight data, and the outputs are generally easy to understand when you read their guide. Basically it gives you a :spergin: briefing packet in PDF form and a flight plan loadable in the sim.

EDIT: IFR flight plans, but useful for getting an idea of fuel loadout in general.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

MrYenko posted:

More amusingly, raise your hand if you've ever finished the preflight, gotten into the airplane, started the engine, and had the instructor stare knowingly at you while you tried to deduce why the airplane wont move.

(Because the tail is still tied down you gently caress-up.)

*raises his hand in shame*

left chocks on

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

If anyone has a lazy 60k laying spare in FSEconomy, then I could finally get a decent 4+ seater IFR/AP/GPS airframe - I'm in Goon Air as bjw86 if anyone's feeling generous :biglips:

60k is like 2 days flying, tops.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
On glass cockpits the bottom of the bank indicator is your slip indicator. Just keep the triangle a triangle.

I can't get the Bonanza to hit any of it numbers I'd expect either from the game or from what I've found online. I think something is off in the model.

Loading the Icon into New Zealand and zooming around is a blast.

From what I can tell burning fuel doesn't do anything to your performance, which is weird. You'd expect to speed up/etc. as you lose weight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

azflyboy posted:

Mainly going for basic route planning off the game since the world map is kinda poo poo and slow (for me). Being able to plan the approaches ahead of time in the navigation would be helpful to help me get lined up for landing or switching to ILS with less chance of loving up.

Basically I’d like a little more than just A to B.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

The scenery in MSFS 2020 is breathtaking, but the inexplicable bugs like "basic controls panel not working" and "172 missing entirely from aircraft selection" (????) is a little grating.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

zedprime posted:

Did you oblige and land in the neighborhood?

Nah, it wasn't my destination.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

sellouts posted:

60k is like 2 days flying, tops.

If you can make 30k in under 6 hours a day then I'd like to know what jobs you're taking

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

E4C85D38 posted:

The scenery in MSFS 2020 is breathtaking, but the inexplicable bugs like "basic controls panel not working" and "172 missing entirely from aircraft selection" (????) is a little grating.

Yeah now that I’ve played a bunch the in game bugs are starting to really get to me. I mean I never expected the default planes to be *good* but fly one long enough and you’ll run into something distinctly bizarre. Even the TBM I’m starting to question its fuel usage/performance, and that seemed like the best plane I’d flown so far.

The live weather/wind being broken for half the world without so much as a peep from the devs (especially since it’s been happening since the alpha) is really starting to bug me. That’s a whole huge chunk of what makes the game more than google maps’ fly around mode. I realize it might be something that takes more than a week (especially a launch week) to fix, but all of their official problem trackers and poo poo don’t even mention it. Hoping we hear more today when they talk about the patch.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Found a fix for the bug. If anyone else is missing their base game 172, go to AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore (or whatever path you pointed Content Manager at) and delete all folders and files with "172" in the name. Then launch MSFS2020 and the Content Manager will redownload and reinstall it, making it show up in your hangar.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I kept this on so far because I thought something useful might come up, and it did in the Citation (max airspeed as you said) but mostly it's this crap.

E:. I never played any of the IL-2 games, which one would be the best to try nowadays?

The new IL-2 series, aka the "Great Battles" series (Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Kuban etc) is excellent. While it's not full clicky cockpit like DCS, it's a great sim with great graphics, feeling of flight and damage models.

The original Battle of Stalingrad is seen as the base game, and it's a good starting point. From there it depends on what era/theatre you fancy- Battle of Kuban covers ~1943 in the caucuses, while the new hotness is Battle of Bodenplatte, focusing on the western front in late 1944-early 1945. I'd lean towards the latter, it's what the most popular servers tend to use these days.

You just missed a big sale, but odds are there'll be another one in a month or two, so you can grab it for cheaper.

We don't have organized events, but there are usually goons flying several times a week in the evenings on the airgoons discord and happy to show you the ropes

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Grumio posted:

The new IL-2 series, aka the "Great Battles" series (Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Kuban etc) is excellent. While it's not full clicky cockpit like DCS, it's a great sim with great graphics, feeling of flight and damage models.

The original Battle of Stalingrad is seen as the base game, and it's a good starting point. From there it depends on what era/theatre you fancy- Battle of Kuban covers ~1943 in the caucuses, while the new hotness is Battle of Bodenplatte, focusing on the western front in late 1944-early 1945. I'd lean towards the latter, it's what the most popular servers tend to use these days.

You just missed a big sale, but odds are there'll be another one in a month or two, so you can grab it for cheaper.

We don't have organized events, but there are usually goons flying several times a week in the evenings on the airgoons discord and happy to show you the ropes

Is the single player any good or is IL-2 mostly focused on multiplayer servers? I'm considering picking it up as I want a combat flight sim that is less hardcore and spergy than DCS, but don't really have much interest in multiplayer.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bold Robot posted:

Is the single player any good or is IL-2 mostly focused on multiplayer servers? I'm considering picking it up as I want a combat flight sim that is less hardcore and spergy than DCS, but don't really have much interest in multiplayer.

Single player has a dynamic campaign with procedurally generated missions, more or less endless replayability. It's pretty good.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Single player is pretty good. There's a career mode (for whatever "battles" you own) that's pretty good, and generates perfectly acceptable missions. There's also a full mission creator and quick mission builder (which can use any aircraft/maps you own) and some canned campaigns available both for free and for purchase.

The AI is still a little wonky (it's not doing the "sniping through clouds" stuff the old IL-2 had, but the fighters tend to get sucked into turning fights regardless of what they fly), but it does a fine job the vast majority of the time, and it never really feels like it has unfair advantages over the player.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

If you can make 30k in under 6 hours a day then I'd like to know what jobs you're taking

Sure. I have a 12k cargo job KAHC - KYUM - 530nm
then I have a 11.6k cargo job KYUM - XXX - 661nm.
then I have a VIP job from XXX to another airport for 8600 (409 nm distance)
then I have a 10 pax job from there for 8900 for a whopping 90nm distance.

Under 6hrs with no time acceleration using a Latitude.

And that's really based because a friend left the jet at KAHC. I didn't even have to look around surrounding areas.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 27, 2020

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Bold Robot posted:

If you are at all experienced in BFM the single-player often ends up a turkey shoot when doing anything air-to-air. There's the occasional bad beat where a friendly P-47 will straight up belly flop on to your canopy when you're pumping .50 cal into Franz's cockpit, but largely the fights get pretty easy quickly. The AI isn't great in a dog fight, but it's still fun. DCS with some of the better single-player WW2 campaigns (thinking heavily of the Blue-nosed Bastards of Bodney) is more challenging but it is not a light experience and vastly more expensive when you factor in buying planes, campaigns, and maps. The warbirds are IMO a flatter learning curve as far as DCS goes, but I'm a warbird junkie so my view is definitely skewed.

I've found in IL2, specifically the Bodenplatte map/campaign, knowing good engine management from DCS really helped, but in IL2 you can much more easily tailor the difficulty to your preference. It just has a sudden and distinct skill ceiling for the AI planes including your compatriots that ranges from hilarious to frustrating.

Also VR in IL2 is miles better than DCS if that's your thing.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

sellouts posted:

Sure. I have a 12k cargo job KAHC - KYUM - 530nm
then I have a 11.6k cargo job KYUM - XXX - 661nm.
then I have a VIP job from XXX to another airport for 8600 (409 nm distance)
then I have a 10 pax job from there for 8900 for a whopping 90nm distance.

Under 6hrs with no time acceleration using a Latitude.

And that's really based because a friend left the jet at KAHC. I didn't even have to look around surrounding areas.

Thanks!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's some guy on the globe highlighted. I have no idea who that is.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Fun fact, you can make the text to speech say your callsign as an acronym and not a word if you separate them with a dash.

I've been tagging up as D-A-L :3: like in Animal Crossing. Can't wait for liveries to come out.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Grumio posted:

Don't forget to mention the absolutely top-of-class VR integration.

Unfortunately the multiplayer aspect is kind of crap, because it's a lot of full-real servers that have you flying around for 20 minutes without engaging anyone because there's no icons and the fields are spaced far apart. It's not like the old IL-2 1946 servers which were basically AirQuake and I miss that.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Can someone explain why AP sometimes completely fucks my trim?

From what I can tell I can do the exact same procedure to set altitude, and sometimes it just climbs without issue, and other times it tries to set the trim to loving 60 and I immediately nose dive because I'm too stupid to check trim before taking my hand off the stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Can someone explain why AP sometimes completely fucks my trim?

From what I can tell I can do the exact same procedure to set altitude, and sometimes it just climbs without issue, and other times it tries to set the trim to loving 60 and I immediately nose dive because I'm too stupid to check trim before taking my hand off the stick.

Because bugs. You should try and center on the FD markings as you turn on AP to ensure a smooth transition to AP flying, but every now and then it's going to kick it to full trim up and stall you. No idea what causes it or how to fix it yet.

I ended up binding a joystick button to disable AP. No option to bind a button to reset trim that I've found though.