Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I always think the vagueness of family resemblance allows for the judges to use it to suit their motives. Sometimes it’s too similar, other times it’s too different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah, the judging on those challenges is often bad. And I kinda hate when they blame the baby queen's nerves or whatever on the competing queen. Family resemblance is a bit bullshit of a criterion too. Any time I've seen real baby queens at a drag show they haven't come out looking like a carbon copy of their drag mother, and why would they?

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
I always said family resemblance = wear the same color wigs but they have finally broken that rule a couple times recently.

MizuZero posted:

It’s sad that this season made my opinion of Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman skew towards dislike. The man is gorgeous

Yeah, he's a bad judge and annoying host. And really everyone on TV or in movies is good looking, it's not any great achievement.

edit: I didn't really like Brooke Lynn's wigs on her season of Drag Race but she's had some great looks on DRC. That massive red one last week and the one that was like a super-volume curly bob cracked me up.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 24, 2020

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I saw the episode of RuPaul's Drag Race: Vegas Revue and like clockwork I'm struck by how much I cannot stand Derrick Berry. UGH. Him and Nebraska are just dumbells dragging the show down. It's unnecessary drama.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cafe Barbarian posted:

Yeah, he's a bad judge and annoying host. And really everyone on TV or in movies is good looking, it's not any great achievement.

I ready he's closed down his social media because of all of the hate he's getting.

Pan Dulce posted:

I saw the episode of RuPaul's Drag Race: Vegas Revue and like clockwork I'm struck by how much I cannot stand Derrick Berry. UGH. Him and Nebraska are just dumbells dragging the show down. It's unnecessary drama.

It's incredible how Nebraska has taken an appearance on that one episode of Drag Race and turned it into an entire career. Not by latching on to her incredible drag mother Alaska, but Derrick loving Berry. It's so odd.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's not that odd, he was already Derrick's boyfriend before season 5. If you're already dating a drag queen why not get their help.

Nebraska is inherently riding Alaska's coattails by using the name Thunderfuck tho anyway

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I dunno, I think that while Jimbo and sister looked fantastic and performed amazingly, you can't put your sister in 100% exactly the same outfit as you. There should be some difference between them, like everyone else's at least had a different color.

But I admit that I'm also kind of biased against Jimbo, because even though she's immensely talented and I wouldn't mind seeing her in the top 3 at all, I find her particular flavor of the sexy clown schtick off-putting in a creepy uncle way and I'm kinda bored of the one note bimbo act.

e: Also I'm gonna miss Lemon and I thought her lip sync wasn't bad, but it didn't quite knock the emotion of the song out of the park the way Rita's performance did at all for me. (Again with the bias, there, though, I went to uni in Montreal so I feel the need to root for the Quebecois(es).)

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 24, 2020

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I have quit shows because they kept one person over another when it made no loving sense. Gretchen beating Mondo on Project Runway was the last PR I ever watched. We stopped watching Survivor for a few years after they rigga morris'd Ben into winning.

In this case, I'm not going to stop watching, but my confidence in the show and its judging is shot. I still cannot believe they sent anyone home, on that lipsync, on that challenge, on that episode. I don't care who stayed or went - just that anyone went.

Genuinely annoyed at CDR.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Add one more vote for Lemon should have won/double shantay. She and Priyanka have been my favorites this season and that was just a great lipsync. But with Alanis it might be difficult to suck.

I don't think I've thought of Gretchen/Mondo for years but that was some pretty incredible bullshit and worth quitting the show. If it makes things any better (it won't) they did an All Stars season tailor-made (ha!) to give Mondo the win, and they've also used him as a judge.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 24, 2020

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I had a positive impression of JBC from his appearances on mainline DR and All-Stars. His time as The Bitchelor, his time co-guest judging with Naya Rivera, his adequate turn on Snatch Game of Love. He was both funny and charismatic (though his “flirtation” with ru was much on his latest jaunt) and he was, of the three judges of CDR, the one I initially thought would be the breakout.

now that we’re near the end of the season I know that the correct answer is Stacey

Finished Drag Race Thailand S2 and I really liked it, despite how much behind-the-scenes fuckery there was to get to the final three. The producer (Tae, anime antagonist) even ramblingly addresses it as well as the dearth of English-language lipsync tracks during the reunion episode. I can’t argue with the top (except for Gimhuay’s premature elimination) and I really hope that we get a S3. Pangina just opened a new drag bar in Bangkok called House of Heals and she’s posting media of many S1 and S2 alum tearing the venue down boots nightly and even though no one is wearing a mask and everyone from performer to patron is moistly close... part of me wants to be there

also we’re on the cusp of a blessed page. only 28 more to go

panko fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 24, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It's hard for me to tell whether JBC is acting the way he is because he thinks that's what he needs to act, or if he is being coached by the production staff to adopt what they think is a Ru persona so that it matches Ru energy that's missing from the show otherwise.

a lot of CDR feel shaky, like the new production staff isn't sure how to go about filling the gap that Ru and Michelle not being there makes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stroop There It Is posted:

But I admit that I'm also kind of biased against Jimbo, because even though she's immensely talented and I wouldn't mind seeing her in the top 3 at all, I find her particular flavor of the sexy clown schtick off-putting in a creepy uncle way and I'm kinda bored of the one note bimbo act.

agreed

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We'll see how Michelle treats the queens this week.

I showed my SIL the 1st episode and she said of all the queens she liked Jimbo the most initially. That their show would be the one to go too.

And then was like, "oh there's LEMON vinter ;) ;)"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also I loved Pastor Nina on the show lol

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Bring Jean Yoon on for season 2

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Cafe Barbarian posted:

I always said family resemblance = wear the same color wigs but they have finally broken that rule a couple times recently.

How to win the family resemblance challenge:

Figure out where your makeup lies in proportion to your real face, and paint that on your daughter/sister. Wear the same outfit in another color/same cloth in a similar silhouette. Style the hair the same way, or have it be the same color. You are safe. Figure out a funny schtick to do on the runway and you win.
Luck element: pray you get someone who can walk in heels because they judge YOU on for that for some reason.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Bonus: Get someone who has gone to your shows for years so they know exactly how to bounce off your energy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Seems JBC had to take down social media stuff cause of the toxic online fanbase. gently caress. Yeah, he's kind of an rear end in a top hat on the tv show but christ.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
To be honest, I don't think he's said anything all that worse than any of the other regular judges have said on Drag Race OG. The toxic fanbase is a lot.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

To be honest, I don't think he's said anything all that worse than any of the other regular judges have said on Drag Race OG. The toxic fanbase is a lot.

I agree, but I also think the delivery comes off harsher. I think part of it is that, unlike any of the main show regular judges, JBC is conventionally attractive and so critiques of how the contestants look come off as bitchier than they would if Ross, for example, made them.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

why does michelle visage hate when she sees toddlers using the sidewalk?

because they’re a little pedestrian

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nihonniboku posted:

JBC is probably the only time I've been annoyed at a judge for being 'mean' or whatever. I typically don't care how the judges deliver their critiques unless it gets a bit too personal, or that time Santino said Latrice looked like a couch. Hell I get more annoyed at people whining about the judges than I ever get annoyed at the judges. For me, it's just the condescending way he delivers stuff, which I'm not entirely sure is just his way of delivering critique or if it's his weird Ru impression making him come off worse. He just feels off and like he doesn't really belong on the panel. But I enjoy him generally as a host.

It's a weird panel in general. We have Stacey who is more than qualified with her fashion experience and as a master of the runway, Brooke who is a queen, and then JBC who is an actor but ... hasn't used his experience in any way on the show that I can think of? Hell we had Stacey direct an acting challenge has JBC done one? He has the experience to arguably be the member of the panel who is an 'expert' in that field of the competition but it doesn't seem to have been taken advantage of at all.

I feel like he's just there because he's gay, Canadian, and has been on the OG show more than once. Which is fine. But I'd honestly rather have a Santino for our obligatory 'mean' judge. Like I said before, Santino was at least a fashion designer. The judges for RPDR usually have a profession, or general proximity to drag, that lends them to being on the panel.

It's really stupid how much hate he's getting online, but hell hath no fury like an RPDR stan scorned.

MizuZero posted:

lmfao

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

MizuZero posted:

peppermint_screech.mp3

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Stacey giving all the queens one on one tips for their runway walk was amazing and I'm amazed the main series has never bothered

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Eej posted:

Stacey giving all the queens one on one tips for their runway walk was amazing and I'm amazed the main series has never bothered

Can you imagine Kim Chi having gotten those notes? It would have been SO good for her.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

esperterra posted:

It's a weird panel in general. We have Stacey who is more than qualified with her fashion experience and as a master of the runway, Brooke who is a queen, and then JBC who is an actor but ... hasn't used his experience in any way on the show that I can think of? Hell we had Stacey direct an acting challenge has JBC done one? He has the experience to arguably be the member of the panel who is an 'expert' in that field of the competition but it doesn't seem to have been taken advantage of at all.

JBC was a professional model before he moved into acting.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nihonniboku posted:

JBC was a professional model before he moved into acting.

Fair enough, then!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Pan Dulce posted:

Can you imagine Kim Chi having gotten those notes? It would have been SO good for her.

It’s rad that Michelle Visage was a judge on S2 of Glow Up but I wish they’d have brought in another drag queen.

Aquaria or Miss Fame would’ve been incredible, Fame especially for the “masterclass” episode.

Or these two!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1AdGVHUHx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQhe1TDn7VI

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

unexpected outcome this episode. go Bobo!! She benefited from the other queens shooting themselves in the foot with their looks.

we got our tegan & sara but it was the absolute safest choice and jimbo loving threw that lipsync by not playing to her strengths and most importantly not taking off her loving hat

West coast went home! 401 top 3!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tell me which T&S song it was so I can prepare to be disappointed when I watch it later, thx in advance

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

what’s your first guess

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MizuZero posted:

what’s your first guess

Probably something from one of their pop albums. Is it Closer

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Bummed about both the winner and loser tonight. I don't think the winner of the season really matters at this point.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I know I'll never get to live my dream of watching queens try to capture the pure essence of angst that Tegan exudes in songs like Living Room or The Con (or hell even Sainthood which I have issues with but has some A+ songs) but Closer is so basic smh

That said it definitely is one of their better songs post The Con so I can't rly complain too much. It's also one of the best choices for a more upbeat lip sync. As much as I love me some pure Canadian angst we just got a hefty dose of it last week lmao

The actual correct choice for a Tegan & Sara lipsync to get the gays' blood pumping is one of these two options however

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHe1PvKALaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygQtml-Xsog

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Those outfits were definitely not the right outfits for a Closer lip sync 😆

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Rita isn't even my favourite for this season but I deeply respect the fact that she seems like a very dry dignified person but she just absolutely commits to the dumbest jokes for the sake of the show with no dignity whatsoever

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Give the crown to Bobo lol, I would respect that move so much.

It would be amazing :allears:

E; Also god is Stacey the fashion choice for this. Brooke and JBC, whatever, but please bring Stacey back next year.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 28, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Also, Bobo winning at this point is both a) entirely appropriate given what everyone served, and b) so Canadian it's not even funny.

E: Also Jimbo's got the best exit. ever.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The Little Death posted:

E; Also god is Stacey the fashion choice for this. Brooke and JBC, whatever, but please bring Stacey back next year.

:yeah:

The Little Death posted:

E: Also Jimbo's got the best exit. ever.

:yeah: