Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I played all of them back in the day, but FFL1 felt jank and broken, while FFL2 felt jank and good. The soundtrack loving ripped too. Definitely a standout for Gameboy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're going to play one SaGa game ever, FFL2 is the correct one but I hav a special place in my heart for FFL which was the first time I really "got" SaGa.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Grimthwacker posted:

Ah yes, the SaGa Collection. A whole new generation will be able to attack and dethrone chainsaw God. :black101:

My entry into the series was Final Fantasy Legend II, and drat if little me could understand what the hell was going on mechanically. I just brute forced my way through everything grinding as much money as I could to buy better weapons and armor and nodded my head at all the crazy random stat increases and the like. I have no idea how I managed to do it.
FFL2 has the nice benefit that even if you don't quite understand what the gently caress the mechanics are (practically the default setting in SaGa games), you always have the option to grind up some stats or just equip your robot with better stuff and half-rear end your way through.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
FFL's simplicity in its gameplay and story works to its favor, and it maintains a more interesting atmosphere than FFL2. Both are great games, beating out a few of the mainline FF games imo

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

when I was a kid I downloaded the ROMs of one of the FFL games and immediately walked out of town, beat a battle, and made your chick eat monster meat and she turned into a tentacle monster and I felt so bad about what I'd done I turned it off

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

holy crap they're actually doing a FFL collection but, grievance:

1. Switch only
2. missing the DS remasters

only $20 though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFL1 was absolutely brutal to young me, I think I got through FFL2, and FFL3 I remember being way more ambitious than the game could do well.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

FFL1 protip:

HP200 items are always more gold efficient than HP600 items. Kid me thought he was super clever when he realized this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

when I was a kid I downloaded the ROMs of one of the FFL games and immediately walked out of town, beat a battle, and made your chick eat monster meat and she turned into a tentacle monster and I felt so bad about what I'd done I turned it off

If we are talking about JRPGs, tentacle monsters and a "she", what do you mean by "chick" exactly?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFVIIR simulator battles are not fun. Having to do the same ones 4 times with different characters. And that is if you don't die like me multiple times.

The final one sounds like pain the rear end.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

FFVIIR simulator battles are not fun. Having to do the same ones 4 times with different characters. And that is if you don't die like me multiple times.

The final one sounds like pain the rear end.

I liked them. They forced you to gently caress around and try different things with the characters in a fun battle system.
They're not mandatory though, so you could just not.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bees x1000 posted:

holy crap they're actually doing a FFL collection but, grievance:

1. Switch only
2. missing the DS remasters

only $20 though
Folks are excited by this collection but honestly I think it's a bad deal. These two complaints are part of it--while I think expecting localized or even multiplatform DS ports is a stretch, the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection at least serves as precedence for DS titles on Switch. However they could've added an art gallery, manual scans, or something to make it feel like a premium product rather than just a collection of GB ROMs. And honestly, while a collection of GB ROMs is still good in terms of making these specific versions accessible on a modern platform, if they were on Virtual Console they would only be $4 each.

Or as I said in the Switch thread, it seems like Square looked at the Collection of Mana and saw that it sold beyond expectation and decided to triple down on what was the least valuable part of it. My concern is that this isn't going to sell particularly well and Square will use that to claim there isn't a market for retro re-releases.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh wow, Crystal Chronicles might possibly be the worst side-game in the franchise ever.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
At least Crystal Chronicles is still doable single-player, as unintended as the game's design is for it. It's still not All the Bravest-level bad, and it's probably still a step up from some of the worse FF gacha mobile games.

Hell, it might not even be the worst CC game. I remember one of the DS ones being incredible short and easy and rather unmemorable.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Can I talk about Final Fantasy Adventures here or is officially shunned to the 'X of Mana' world?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Either is fine, or hell, both.

Adventures always deserves more talk.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I said come in! posted:

Ooh wow, Crystal Chronicles might possibly be the worst side-game in the franchise ever.

There's still that mobile game where all you do is mash on your character sprites and hope you win the fight.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Mega64 posted:

Either is fine, or hell, both.

Adventures always deserves more talk.

It's pretty impressive for an old school gameboy title. I know some portions are barely legal borrows from Legend of Zelda at times, but it does a lot to distinguish itself still.

I'm playing it on the Collection of Mana and it appears to be mostly unaltered, so I don't think that's giving me any false impressions of its capabilities.

Only annoying thing is having the switch items and magic every 4 seconds. If they even had those as separate hotkeys life would be better. But ol' Gameboy only had two buttons if I'm remembering right.

Also really makes me want Nintendo to port over some Gameboy and Gameboy Advance VC.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I actually really liked CC as a single player game back when it came out, the art direction and atmosphere are excellent.

It's a huge bummer that they hosed up multiplayer because that's the biggest part of the game's appeal but even solo it is definitely not even close to the worst FF spin-off.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Deep GTA lore that somehow connects the franchise to FFIX.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's a huge bummer that they hosed up multiplayer because that's the biggest part of the game's appeal but even solo it is definitely not even close to the worst FF spin-off.
What *are* generally considered the worst FF spin-offs?

I've played a few of the spin-offs, but mostly the old-school ones like Tactics, the FF Legends games, and Mystic Quest, all of which seem to be fairly well liked. Also the first Dimensions game which seems decent enough, not fantastic but decent enough to fit right in with the SNES era ones. But I haven't really kept up with any of the mobile stuff or weird console off-shoots, so maybe there are some truly trash spin-offs out there that I missed?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The earliest smart phone mobile games were unrepentant cash-grab garbage. I have friends that play some of the newer ones and they seem ok?

I think most everything else released were considered playable, if not well-received or even cult classics.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For the mobile games, I enjoyed Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Dirge of Cerberus is hated by all, but I don’t know if you’d classify it as a spin-off or sequel or whatever.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

MagusofStars posted:

What *are* generally considered the worst FF spin-offs?

I've played a few of the spin-offs, but mostly the old-school ones like Tactics, the FF Legends games, and Mystic Quest, all of which seem to be fairly well liked. Also the first Dimensions game which seems decent enough, not fantastic but decent enough to fit right in with the SNES era ones. But I haven't really kept up with any of the mobile stuff or weird console off-shoots, so maybe there are some truly trash spin-offs out there that I missed?

There are a bunch of awful gacha-based / pay-to-win mobile spin-offs out there (All the Bravest, Mobius, Opera Omnia, Brave Exvius, New Empire off the top of my head, plus way more than never got a US release)

But even discounting the mobile stuff there's also After Years, Dirge of Cerberus, Type-0, Chocobo's Dungeon, World of Final Fantasy, like 5 other Crystal Chronicles games including a couple that tower defense / city building sims for some reason, and probably a few others that are all easily worse than Crystal Chronicles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
chocobo's dungeon is not a bad spinoff, it's one of the most hardcore roguelites available

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
World of Final Fantasy kicks rear end, what the heck!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

chocobo's dungeon is not a bad spinoff, it's one of the most hardcore roguelites available

Sorry, was thinking of Chocobo's Dungeon 2, the extremely boring PS1 game. Haven't played any of the others or heard much about them but I think there's one on Wii and one on PS4?

thetoughestbean posted:

World of Final Fantasy kicks rear end, what the heck!

I liked the art design and the early gameplay enough to push through it, but I found the writing / voice acting really grating and the gameplay became incredibly tedious about halfway through. The fights lost a lot of their puzzle elements that actually required any strategy and it got bogged down in repetitive and grindy fights. The concept of a pokemon-ish FF was great and I thought it was gonna pull it off at first but I ended up really disappointed by it.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 28, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sorry, was thinking of Chocobo's Dungeon 2, the extremely boring PS1 game. Haven't played any of the others or heard much about them but I think there's one on Wii and one on PS4?

Every Buddy is a remake of the WiiWare game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

that is the most hardcore roguelite lol. the first few dungeons are easy, and then everything after ultros the kid gloves are off and the game is making you do 30+ floor runs with no checkpoints.

and then the postgame says, do the second-longest dungeon in the game as the weakest character in the game. now do a 50-floor dungeon starting at lv1 with an empty inventory. it's the opposite of boring, it's torneko on steroids

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I unironically enjoyed The After Years when I played it episodically as a WiiWare title.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
CC has a pretty hosed difficulty curve, I went to Mount Vellum which is the final area so you'd expect it to be tough, well I hope you like getting mobbed constantly by ghosts, chimeras and death knights.

All the stages are also locked to cycle 3 and everything in there takes a million hits to kill, you do get +5 stat upgrade options for doing this but boy is it a slog.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

that is the most hardcore roguelite lol. the first few dungeons are easy, and then everything after ultros the kid gloves are off and the game is making you do 30+ floor runs with no checkpoints.

and then the postgame says, do the second-longest dungeon in the game as the weakest character in the game. now do a 50-floor dungeon starting at lv1 with an empty inventory. it's the opposite of boring, it's torneko on steroids

Yeah, I remember it going from absurdly easy to just brutally difficult and just having an overall kinda drab look and repetitive gameplay that I bounced off of. Looking at the reviews for it, it seems like pretty much every outlet put it at around the low-to-mid 60s when it came out, which is probably where I would rank it. That being said, "harcore roguelikes" are not really my wheelhouse so I'll defer to people who enjoy them.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

I said come in! posted:

For the mobile games, I enjoyed Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

I like Record Keeper and still play it half-heartedly. I feel like the game's got so much bloat in terms of how to raise stats now that it's becoming more of a job to maintain. I appreciate that they finally added a story mode in the last two years but I'm nowhere near current with it because the gameplay bores me at this point. Still, the sprites, the backgrounds, the music remixes they do for events... all of it is really nice and deserves to be appreciated, so I find myself at kind of an impasse.

I think I heard that they started to end the story campaign more abruptly in Japan. They also recently ended I think the French and Spanish translations for the Worldwide release versions of the game. With all of this coming to light, I get the feeling that the game may not be long for this world.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
also please enjoy this image of a game with a plot from 2019 using very surprising dialogue from the original 1997 translation. Very surprised they didn't adjust this. :wow:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
World of Final Fantasy has a lot of grating things going for it, mainly some voice acting (which I think was bad script more than anything) - Tama's awful verbal tic, the stereotypical dumb boy with intelligent sister trope, a confusing upgrade system, and a somewhat slow combat pace. But the positives outweigh it in my opinion - a pretty vast world, a pokemon style catching system that allows for a bunch of different combinations, and some pretty good Final Fantasy nostalgia.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There is more way more games made about FF nostalgia than actual FF games at this point, so for my money that’s not really a selling point.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

World of Final Fantasy kicks rear end, what the honk!

Fixed that for you.

WoFF was pleasant enough fanservice. It certainly played well enough for me to want to replay it later on with the Maxima add-on. My only gripe is the last chapter's bunch of final bosses were pretty ridiculous at times, especially the last boss which you pretty much had to spam high-level spell items with everybody in your party unstacked during his brief window of vulnerability if you wanted to finish the fight before it became nigh-on unwinnable.

The Chocobo's Dungeon games aren't bad either. I had lots of fun with Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, which was also full of great fanservice. So much so that I'll probably pick up the Every Buddy! remake some time down the line. It was probably the only roguelike I've been able to complete to this day.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

"Ramza...What did you get?"

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

seiferguy posted:

World of Final Fantasy has a lot of grating things going for it, mainly some voice acting (which I think was bad script more than anything) - Tama's awful verbal tic, the stereotypical dumb boy with intelligent sister trope, a confusing upgrade system, and a somewhat slow combat pace. But the positives outweigh it in my opinion - a pretty vast world, a pokemon style catching system that allows for a bunch of different combinations, and some pretty good Final Fantasy nostalgia.

It’s one of those games I liked a lot when I was playing but got sidetracked a few hours in and never got back to. Also I remember hearing that the experience system was really badly done in that all the monsters join at level 1 no matter what and there’s no dynamic experience yield like a lot of Falcom games have (where a level 1 unit gets 10,000 experience from the same enemy that your level 10 character gets 1000 from so they catch up faster) which kind of blows chunks for a monster collecting game, so that took the wind out of my sails too.