Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Glumwheels posted:

Social media is a cancer on society, it’s probably damaged us beyond repair since they refuse to take any meaningful action against harmful groups (conspiracy theories, deep fakes, right wing manipulation, militia groups, anti-vaxxers, foreign government manipulation).

My complaints about social media going from "it's annoying that people put up what they ate for lunch, who cares" to "oh my god this is a conduit for the destruction of a shared reality" has been stressful. I used to complain about people putting up too many pictures on facebook and inviting me to farmville, now it's caused a genocide, is a refuge for hate groups, conspiracy theorists, and violent militias, and can be used by oppressive governments to politically destroy opposition. Like gently caress man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
USPOL Summer: I'm a color skin man

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Cheesus posted:

Well that's nice, that the rich white people who live near arenas will be able to vote.

They don't usually build sports arenas in the nice part of town.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cheesus posted:

Well that's nice, that the rich white people who live near arenas will be able to vote.

Most sport complexes are not in the middle of downtown.

Edit: A fellow Chicago goon beat me to it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cheesus posted:

It’s a huge loving deal in Atlanta. Phillips has its own Marta stop and voting in the Atlanta metro area is notoriously difficult due to traffic, republican election fuckery, and the inevitable downpour/flood that happens every single loving time there’s an election.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Apparently Trump was slightly below Pence? Which, if true, would probably have him screaming until he's purple at some staffer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump didn’t speak until really late so I wonder how much effect that had

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Cheesus posted:

Don’t discount what they’re doing. A lot of arenas, especially the older ones, are accessible to a pretty large percentage of the populations in major cities. Plus they can accommodate a massive number of people at a much higher volume than an average voting location. They’re doing what they can with what they have available.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cheesus posted:

At least in Phoenix's case, the Sun's arena is downtown and might actually help to increase minority voting turnout.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
So how does the idea of converting arenas to polling centers work. Do you offer it to the state government and hope they take you up on it?

Cheesus posted:

White people live near arenas? I thought arenas were in the grimier areas of town.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought most arenas were not near anything in particular as they have to have square kilometers of parking lot?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mat Cauthon posted:

The point is that the NBA players gave up the best leverage they had in exchange for "coalitions" and "initiatives" that will solve nothing.

The voting location thing might have some utility, assuming that it can be set up in time and accommodate for pandemic conditions but that doesn't do any good for disenfranchised people or do anything to stop police violence.

I think the voting location thing is overblown, at least as far as Ohio is concerned. Romofiho is only allowing voting for:

quote:

only registered voters residing in precincts I, L and Q in Cleveland’s Ward 3

If some arenas are out in the sticks, that really doesn't help a lot of people with getting to and from there.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1299412783331672065

"Nice speech you gave for me at the RNC, here's your reward."

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Eric Cantonese posted:

White people live near arenas? I thought arenas were in the grimier areas of town.

I think they're applying the current trend to football and baseball (move out of downtown core areas, into suburban, wealthier areas) to all sports, but yeah, a lot of basketball arenas are still downtown and this could help quite a bit. For football and baseball, yeah, it'd be more geared white people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DaveWoo posted:

I would make a joke here but considering how Trump is, this is certainly a quid-pro-quo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DaveWoo posted:

gross. i genuinly feel bad for her. that must be an awful position to be in.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

What's the damage threshold? A dollar? A human life for a dollar of damages? You could probably argue the cost to scrape a piece of gum off the sidewalk is more than a dollar. Death for spitting out gum on a sidewalk.

A thousand dollars? You do a thousand dollars of damage to someone property you get to kill them? That's like keying the paint on 2 panels of a new car. Catch someone keying your car? DEATH!

What? I need to know.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

The valoration of the Kenosha shooter is honestly some of the sickest poo poo I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/LibyaLiberty/status/1299261144817901569?s=19

We're just in full "mask off, open white supremacist fascism go time" world now.

A troubled loner who craved power and authority over those who he disagreed with will appear in court today charged with murder after he killed two people during a multi-state crime spree.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, i was bullied all through my younger years and still get bullied at work at times. Where's my award?

That was my thought. Yeah kids getting bullied and socially isolated sucks, and perhaps are things we need to work on. But somehow most bullied kids don't turn around and shoot up people. Sick of the media pulling out this card only for racist white kids.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BonoMan posted:

Sorry I thought it was trying to point out that someone changed a story about Blake to a story about the NBA and I was under the impression that a Live Updates page is a rolling story that constantly gets updated (as opposed to taking an actual article about Blake and changing it).

Is this supposed to be sarcasm?

The Live Updates tweet was a very succinct visual framing of the problem - the NBA players were on the verge of cancelling the season, something radical and unprecedented , so that they could support the broader movement and local activism in their own backyards and facilitate change with their influence and visibility while demonstrating that social justice and protest are more important than spectacle, money or their own careers.

Instead a bunch of behind the scenes machinations undermined it (with LBJ and MJ playing prominent roles, if the reported accounts are to believed) and now the result is more of the same half-assed efforts around voting that only serves to whitewash the reputation of the NBA.

generic one posted:

I have mixed feelings on this. I agree with you, to a certain extent, but I feel like the players showed the power they have in bringing things to a grinding halt. They could do it again in the blink of an eye. I’d love to see them just walk off the court again when the next game resumes, though, but whatever they choose to do, I’ll respect that decision.

The NBA and WNBA are by far the most progressive of all the pro sports leagues. Not a chance we’d see that kind of unity with MLB, NHL, or NFL. Maybe MLS.

The NBA is not a progressive league. There are no progressive sports leagues. It plays the part of looking that way because the way that power dynamics are between owners and players is very different than any other league by dint of almost all the stars being Black. The NBA is very good at capitalizing on Black protest though - see the "woke" jerseys, the small, coordinated protest actions, etc. Same for the WNBA, although it being a less popular and less visible league allows the players there are able to take more unilateral actions with regards to political actions, ironically. The NBA and WNBA only look good by dint of the others being abysmal - a Biden versus Trump dynamic, if you will.

The power the players had was threatening to walk out, because they recognized that at best they were providing a distraction from real issues that the communities they come from deal with. Kyrie Iriving pointed this out before the bubble even got set up and every major commentator basically called him crazy, a hotep, etc. In return for NOT shutting the season down, what did the players get?
Essentially nothing except things we've seen before and know don't really work.

https://twitter.com/DianaMoskovitz/status/1299393258548678661

The only leverage they had over the owners was walking out. A part-owner of the Orlando Magic runs the education department. Tilman Fertitta was on the Texas governor’s pandemic plan to re-open Texas and has a direct line to Trump. You think they can't make some things happen if suddenly their money gets seriously threatened? The players could've asked for:

- no more cop nights at games (or at least none for any department with a serious misconduct or civil rights violation complaint in the last 5 years)
- no more donations to police departments or police unions, period
- no more hiring off-duty cops as security at games (or at least none for any department with a serious misconduct or civil rights violation complaint in the last 5 years)
- all owners to divest from their holdings in private prisons, any corporation that utilizes prison labor, etc or sell the team within 3-5 years
- owners put up the money to replicate the Promise school in their respective city or state, including the food bank, free uniforms, tablet, supplies, college scholarship for graduates, etc

If your counterargument is that some of those things might run into lawsuits or legal challenges, I submit to you that the NBA and the owners have billions upon billions of dollars through which to either fight and drag it out forever OR get politicians to change the necessary laws. The same way they do when they want a taxpayers to build them a new stadium or they want unpleasant incidents involving themselves or their players to go away quietly.

Maybe I'll be wrong. Maybe they'll walk out again after ANOTHER video of a Black person getting killed goes viral and REALLY REALLY mean it that time. In the meantime though I'm sure the various police departments will appreciate their photo ops with the local ball team and discussing the finer points of "community policing" before rolling out to crack some heads and kick some doors in on third shift.

generic one posted:

They’re doing what they can with what they have available.

No they aren't.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 28, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cheesus posted:

I don't think you know where most stadiums and arenas are actually built and located.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That shouldn't stop anybody from posting the most miserable possible take on something as soon as humanly possible

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Murgos posted:

What's the damage threshold? A dollar? A human life for a dollar of damages? You could probably argue the cost to scrape a piece of gum off the sidewalk is more than a dollar. Death for spitting out gum on a sidewalk.

A thousand dollars? You do a thousand dollars of damage to someone property you get to kill them? That's like keying the paint on 2 panels of a new car. Catch someone keying your car? DEATH!

What? I need to know.

https://twitter.com/PinchOfCunt/status/1298702022716334080?s=20
https://twitter.com/PinchOfCunt/status/1298702024251449346?s=20

They agree, were dumb with speaking

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is this supposed to be sarcasm?

The Live Updates tweet was a very succinct visual framing of the problem - the NBA players were on the verge of cancelling the season, something radical and unprecedented , so that they could support the broader movement and local activism in their own backyards and facilitate change with their influence and visibility while demonstrating that social justice and protest are more important than spectacle, money or their own careers.

Instead a bunch of behind the scenes machinations undermined it (with LBJ and MJ playing prominent roles, if the reported accounts are to believed) and now the result is more of the same half-assed efforts around voting that only serves to whitewash the reputation of the NBA.

What? No I think you really misunderstood me. I was referencing a technical thing. Like I talking about how live update headlines can be tweaked to add a new headline - which can trigger the bot - but that it's not necessarily like changing a static article headline. I wasn't talking about anything to do with the content within the tweet.

edit: I agree with your criticism of the content of the post. I thought you were initially saying it was gross that a live update link got changed being about Blake to being about the NBA and I was referencing the tech aspect behind that.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 28, 2020

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Verisimilidude posted:

seeing someone call it the "Karenovirus" in the comments is pure :discourse:

Seeing Devin Nunes' Cow replying to Andy Richter was my favorite in the comments.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

World Famous W posted:

They agree, were dumb with speaking

When I first looked at the tweet, I got his meeting as he intended it, but the more I looked at it the more confusing it became. I almost regret posting it in the thread, because it definitely is poorly worded. That clarification makes his point much better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/FordFischer/status/1299404976087760897?s=20

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

When I first looked at the tweet, I got his meeting as he intended it, but the more I looked at it the more confusing it became. I almost regret posting it in the thread, because it definitely is poorly worded. That clarification makes his point much better.

It's because what he originally posted is the contrapositive of the statement, which is sometimes true but not logically implied, so people sometimes use it sarcastically and that's why you got thrown by it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

generic one posted:

Don’t discount what they’re doing. A lot of arenas, especially the older ones, are accessible to a pretty large percentage of the populations in major cities. Plus they can accommodate a massive number of people at a much higher volume than an average voting location. They’re doing what they can with what they have available.

And they are accessible by public transit.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
What a lying piece of poo poo https://twitter.com/Evanryt/status/1299419150104834048

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I know the job of a reporter is to ask questions but it feels really dumb to ask "isn't it a problem that you haven't seen the video?" rather than just asking "why are you even commenting on something you haven't seen, then?" or "how is it you are possibly the only person in the country who has not seen the video?"

End result would probably still be the same though. loving hell. If this guy doesn't get shitcanned (and not hired as a cop anywhere else) then the problems of Kenosha County will never go away.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:lol:

https://twitter.com/gamemakerstk/status/1299323212401082370

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1299421159126183938?s=20

Even worse with video. Man this guy is slime.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Notch has a billion dollars and he’s still a friendless miserable gently caress.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I cant remember a time when there was no political discussion on the internet :confused:

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Mat Cauthon posted:

No they aren't.

Quality post, and I agree with most of what you said. Cop nights are bullshit, and for sure, they could have just went on strike for the rest of the season.

That said, my post about doing what they could with what they have was in the context of increasing voter turnout in response to someone who was saying opening arenas to becoming places where folks could vote would only help rich white people. It’s an easy solution that doesn’t have much overhead, and can help disenfranchised voters across the country. I don’t think we’re gonna see many MLB or NFL teams follow suit.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Notch has a billion dollars and he’s still a friendless miserable gently caress.

Also he's been damnatio memoriae'd out of Minecraft entirely, so in theory after enough time passes he will be friendless, miserable, and forgotten.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

:owned:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I cant remember a time when there was no political discussion on the internet :confused:

maybe 40 years ago when it was just nerds at a handful of universities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress happened but somehow I made a post without actually posting because wtf I did not make this

Yeah noticing some weird stuff. Had made a few posts that completely disappeared and I don't think they were controversial / off topic. That and more likely to just get probated.

I agree with the ghost post though. It's always going to be an irony how had Trump actually put in the work and used the presidency instead of a scheme to self-enrich himself and his lackeys, working out a lifetime of insecurities transparently, and actually worked to "drain the swamp" as he has complete control over the republican party with a cult of personality, as well as infastructure spending, et al he would actually be getting the positive coverage he desperately craves.