Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Shame Boy posted:

going by what's in the article he threatened to put knives in things, then what was actually found was shards of metal. so yeah i'm imagining that he carefully broke a knife into little bits to put in, because otherwise it would be lying :colbert:

though I kinda wish he hadn't realized that baby food jars are too small for a knife and just stabbed a knife through the lid and left it jutting out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I solved the mystery

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

US government attempting to seize the contents of 280 cryptocurrency accounts it alleges contain the proceeds of North Korean cryptocurrency exchange hacks. The complaint has some interesting discussion on how they traced the funds: https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1310421/download

This is clearly good for Bitcoin

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Soylent Pudding posted:

US government attempting to seize the contents of 280 cryptocurrency accounts it alleges contain the proceeds of North Korean cryptocurrency exchange hacks. The complaint has some interesting discussion on how they traced the funds: https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1310421/download

This is clearly good for Bitcoin

i skimmed it expecting to find that they were seeking to require an exchange, i.e. a legal entity of some sort to turn over accounts people had opened. but it looks like they are actually looking (in effect) for a court to declare that the US government should be recognized as the rightful owner of the virtual currency holdings at those addresses?

i guess so that no exchange will touch coins coming from those addresses? has there been a case before of a legal claim where the defendant was just "such and such a set of blockchain addresses"?

also, there is a table of stolen money amounts and i had never heard of any of the buttcoins in the table. I guess there is still a community of people copy-pasting these things and pumping them trying to get rich (don't know why I would have doubted it)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

According to the friend who sent that to me the US has sanctioned specific Bitcoin addresses but I don't know if they've done in rem actions before. And yes, this is an asset forfeiture action against the cryptocurrency in those addresses. I imagine the hope is to render them useless to North Korea by ensuring no one else wants to touch them and risk having them seized or being fined for doing business with north Korea.

Thanks to Best Korea the UN and government regulatory agencies are taking a much harder look at the cryptocurrency ecosystem than they used to. It wouldn't surprise me if in the next several years there's a bigger crackdown of regulatory enforcement.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Hammerite posted:

also, there is a table of stolen money amounts and i had never heard of any of the buttcoins in the table. I guess there is still a community of people copy-pasting these things and pumping them trying to get rich (don't know why I would have doubted it)

i just quickly skimmed coin market cap looking at the ones that have the lowest number of coins first since they'd likely be the youngest and there's a bunch made this year, last month even

they all have double or even triple digit million market caps, obviously. i wonder if you added up all the market caps for all the thousands of coins out there how much greater would it be than all the money in the world

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
lol one born every minute. from the comments in a youtube 30 rock compilation:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

i just quickly skimmed coin market cap looking at the ones that have the lowest number of coins first since they'd likely be the youngest and there's a bunch made this year, last month even

they all have double or even triple digit million market caps, obviously. i wonder if you added up all the market caps for all the thousands of coins out there how much greater would it be than all the money in the world

blockchain is the future of the world economy. QED

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hammerite posted:

i skimmed it expecting to find that they were seeking to require an exchange, i.e. a legal entity of some sort to turn over accounts people had opened. but it looks like they are actually looking (in effect) for a court to declare that the US government should be recognized as the rightful owner of the virtual currency holdings at those addresses?

i guess so that no exchange will touch coins coming from those addresses? has there been a case before of a legal claim where the defendant was just "such and such a set of blockchain addresses"?

It's a case of in rem jurisdiction, so the defendant is an object which was created or obtained via illegal activity. Basically the case is brought vs the assets once they have been seized by the US Government, or when they are seeking seizure of the assets. Haven't there been other cases where it's been United States of America vs *some amount of cryptocurrency*?

I guess that if the judge says "yeah those buttcoins were created or obtained via illegal activity or used to fund it" then the US Government could go to whatever exchange holds the coins from those addresses and seize them.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/265/438

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=4401218892861670002&hl=en&as_sdt=6,33

IANAL, but Mr. Nice actually is, so he knows better than me and can probably give a better interpretation what the government is seeking with that lawsuit.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 28, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

not necessarily created or obtained illegally - ship seizures are done in rem as well when there is a workplace liability issue or any other issue that could cause a vessel to get seized.

in rem stuff is used anytime there is dubious ownership as a way for the feds to go "we have this, and we're going to take and sell it. if you have any interest, better step up now cause its about to be gone forever."

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

now i am curious what would actually happen if some blacklisted coins got put through a tumbler or an exchange.

if a tumbler they could go after the tumbler operator i guess? if the operator should have reasonably known not to accept them which i imagine would be fun to prove. assuming they went through a rigorous enough tumbler (which I know is not a given) they still would lose the coins and any chain of custody of them right?

if they went to an exchange (outside US jurisdiction and/or with weak KYC) would they then blacklist any withdrawals after that? would be entertaining but probably not feasible to enforce. is the anecdote that statistically every bitcoin has been stolen at least once still true? probably holds several times over for some altcoins.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I would imagine that much like Joe, the coins are now polluted and must stay away from society indefinitely, lest anyone who touches them gets slapped by any number of countries (other countries hate money laundering too), as one thing that case establishes is legal proof of those specific addresses and those BTC being involved in cybercrime.

poo poo, the rai stone at the bottom of the ocean will be more transactable than those coins.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 28, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I do like the idea of bitscoined being tried both in absentia and in abstract.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I know some people in the regulatory and policy space arguing for an interpretation of widely spreading poison when it comes to sanctioned addressed. The idea being that once an address is sanctioned then any address receiving coins from it becomes automatically sanctioned and so on recursively. I hope their view wins out.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

I know some people in the regulatory and policy space arguing for an interpretation of widely spreading poison when it comes to sanctioned addressed. The idea being that once an address is sanctioned then any address receiving coins from it becomes automatically sanctioned and so on recursively. I hope their view wins out.

it makes the most sense, since bitcoins aren't real better to burn anything that came in contact with bad coins

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

imagine someone getting hold of some of the infected coins and sending them to a known satoshi wallet

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In that case Satoshi could cure the address by immediately surrendering the coins to the government.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Soylent Pudding posted:

couldnt the controller of the sanctioned addresses cause a ton of havoc under this approach by sending a chunk of coins unsolicited to anyone and everyone with known public addresses, just to poo poo up their addresses and make the system unenforceable?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

orange juche posted:

poo poo, the rai stone at the bottom of the ocean will be more transactable than those coins.
Remember, the safest way to protect your rai stone is simply to lose it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Azathoth posted:

couldnt the controller of the sanctioned addresses cause a ton of havoc under this approach by sending a chunk of coins unsolicited to anyone and everyone with known public addresses, just to poo poo up their addresses and make the system unenforceable?

That could be argued to be a feature instead of a bug. But there likely would be a safe harbor provision for surrendering poisoned coins received innocently.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Azathoth posted:

run a doubling scam with a curst wallet :getin:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Azathoth posted:

a mischievous DNM could plausibly do this. the addresses they use to send/receive money are well known, so they could cause some chaos by sending bitcoin to famous people. from the perspective of an automated tool it would look like they sold something on the DNM and thus should be considered a drug dealer.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Soylent Pudding posted:

That could be argued to be a feature instead of a bug. But there likely would be a safe harbor provision for surrendering poisoned coins received innocently.

yeah, definitely not arguing that butters deserve leniency or anything, just that if those coins are next to useless because of the sanction, it seems like they could get up to a lot of no good with them

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Azathoth posted:

sounds to me like they should spread the laffs far and wide

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gobbeldygook posted:

a mischievous DNM could plausibly do this. the addresses they use to send/receive money are well known, so they could cause some chaos by sending bitcoin to famous people
such as

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
elon musk, he publishes his bitcoin address all the time

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

is ver still bitcoin jesus or did they turn against him and destroy him?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Boxturret posted:

yes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

shame :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
a little bit :nws: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/518076750849376266/749083945525706812/unknown.png

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Boxturret posted:

being turned against and destroyed is a big piece of the whole jesus gig

thirty pieces of bits-coin

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

being turned against and destroyed is a big piece of the whole jesus gig

thirty pieces of bits-coin
who is bitcoin judas then? the hammer who identifies him with a kiss?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

rodger ver and andreas antonpoulous are two completely separate people with different faces and opinions on bits of coins this is slander

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
2020 - Twitter accounts o prominent figurs, CEOs an celebrities are hackit tae promote a Bitcoin scam.

Bitcoin is a peer-tae-peer payment seestem introduced as open soorce saftware in 2009 bi developer Satoshi Nakamoto.[4]

Subunit
 10−8 satoshi[1]

Seembol BTC, XBT,[2] BitcoinSign.svg

Demografics
Date o introduction 3 Januar 2009; 11 years ago

Uiser(s) Warldwide

Vailuation
Production 25 bitcoins per block (approximately every ten minutes) till approximately the year 2017,[3] an then efterwards 12.5 bitcoins per block for 4 years till next halvin. This halvin continues till 2110-2140.
 Soorce Number of bitcoins in circulation
 Method Increase in the supply

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

writing in an accent is harm

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

2020 - Twitter accounts o prominent figurs, CEOs an celebrities are hackit tae promote a Bitcoin scam.

"You can bet your bottom dollar that every single person involved in this project is a complete and utter shithead"

Bitcoin is supposed to be a way ta make money off ta everyone

"Bitcoin is supposed to be a way ta make money off ta everyone, but instead it turns into a scheme for the most powerful people in the world to scam the rest of us"

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

rodger ver and andreas antonpoulous are two completely separate people with different faces and opinions on bits of coins this is slander
too many bitcoin prophets, history of cults in fast forward too. have any of them found satoshi's word on golden plates yet?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
is that from fake scots wikipedia

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

EorayMel posted:

Bitcoin is a peer-tae-peer payment seestem introduced as open soorce saftware in 2009 bi developer Satoshi Nakamoto.[4]

Subunit
 10−8 satoshi[1]

Seembol BTC, XBT,[2] BitcoinSign.svg

Demografics
Date o introduction 3 Januar 2009; 11 years ago

Uiser(s) Warldwide

Vailuation
Production 25 bitcoins per block (approximately every ten minutes) till approximately the year 2017,[3] an then efterwards 12.5 bitcoins per block for 4 years till next halvin. This halvin continues till 2110-2140.
 Soorce Number of bitcoins in circulation
 Method Increase in the supply

This is violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Boxturret posted:

antopoops twitter has been a ghost town ever since he scared everyone away by coming out as anti-nazi