Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

alnilam posted:

This seems cool. It would require me paying for a Google Drive upgrade but it might be time for that anyway. Still open to other suggestions.

Also, is there an easy way to view which GPM albums I bought through GPM, so I can download those ones? The rest is all stuff I uploaded from my own mp3 library, which is already pretty well organized.

If you have access to an always on computer, Plex or Subsonic can host your own library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Just got the new Firefox pushed to me. Anyone know how to force the forums to always be desktop mode? Fonts are random sizes with default mobile mode.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Dyscrasia posted:

Just got the new Firefox pushed to me. Anyone know how to force the forums to always be desktop mode? Fonts are random sizes with default mobile mode.

Does the SA user control panel option for checkboxes "Enable Mobile Layout on ..." not change anything? It's been a while since I've browsed on mobile without an Awful app.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

As one of the 5 people who used FF on Android I hate the new UI

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lamentable dustman posted:

As one of the 5 people who used FF on Android I hate the new UI

I don't use it but noticed the bottom address bar and now really wish I did use it 😑 Chrome can't get that back soon enough

faptown
Dec 6, 2008
Misread the above post!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't mind the new UI too much. I do wish it would show my top sites when I tap the URL bar instead of... nothing.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

sweart gliwere posted:

Does the SA user control panel option for checkboxes "Enable Mobile Layout on ..." not change anything? It's been a while since I've browsed on mobile without an Awful app.

Afraid I have that setting turned off. Kind of a bummer with the new lack of options for Firefox.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The mobile layout on the sa forums is like really bad, you could say it is... something awful.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Celexi posted:

The mobile layout on the sa forums is like really bad, you could say it is... something awful.

Yeah. If you wanna do SA on mobile, the best thing to do is just make it Awful.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The awful app is really good imo

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

alnilam posted:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

alnilam posted:

Truth. It's my primary way to access the forums now.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Wait people actually used the mobile site? I used an app (iOS at first then Android) since 2012, never touched the site since

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There's a frontpage site?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't even own a browser :smug:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Celexi posted:

We really should get some new ownership on here or something.

Seconding/Thirding/Whatever Awful App though, it's always worked well for me.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
You should install the Awful app

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
The reviews for Awful make me laugh.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Edit: whoops, double post.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 4, 2020

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Whenever I install it on a new device, I check to see whether I'm still in one of the play store example photos, since forever 2013 just howling into the void for granular theme options. This reminded me to check again. Thanks

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What are the call recording suggestions these days? I was able to get by with unupdated ACR on my old Nexus 6p, but that obviously isn't an option for a fresh Pixel 4a. I'm currently running ACR Unchained, but I'm always leery of sideloading apps. Are there really no better options for Pixels?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't know about any functional app that you can just grab from the store, but ACR recently gave an update message which stated that Android 11 might natively support call recording again without having to mess around with sideloading and other weirdness. It's possible that you might be able to get by with only that soon enough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have no idea what happened, but my entire YouTube home feed is music videos now and it's only really recommending music topics even though all I've been found lately is watching tech videos. This feels like a YouTube music misfire of some sort.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I have no idea what happened, but my entire YouTube home feed is music videos now and it's only really recommending music topics even though all I've been found lately is watching tech videos. This feels like a YouTube music misfire of some sort.
How long has this been happening? I suddenly was deluged with ultra-conservative political videos and haven't been watching anything political-leaning or even conservative in over a month.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey, does anyone have some good suggestions for a Gallery app? I've been using Samsung Gallery but sometimes it can't find the pictures I've just downloaded and I find it very annoying.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been using Piktures for a while and have no issues with it.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Gallery Go (by Google)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Google app (stupid name) has stopped working for me, with regards to weather. Uh, sorta. Basically, the silent notifications, widget and quick look in the Search pane on the home screen all show the current weather just fine. But if I try to look in detail, or at tomorrow or the 10 day forcast it just has a shrugging frog and says it's unable to show weather for my location. Searching any location, be it a major city or even somewhere overseas has the same problem.

I've rolled the app back to the system default, wiped the cache and data for it, moved to the beta branch, tried both wifi and 4G but nothing makes it work.

Anyone seen this happen and know what's up?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FunOne posted:

Titles in my 2015 CRV just suddenly started working today in YTM. Maybe an update has gone out?

It was weird that it's worked fine in Books this whole time.

Sup 2015 CRV buddy. Completely random, but you know what I love about my CRV? It has loving HDMI-IN.

That just seems so hilariously not necessary to me. But it's there!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Google app (stupid name) has stopped working for me, with regards to weather. Uh, sorta. Basically, the silent notifications, widget and quick look in the Search pane on the home screen all show the current weather just fine. But if I try to look in detail, or at tomorrow or the 10 day forcast it just has a shrugging frog and says it's unable to show weather for my location. Searching any location, be it a major city or even somewhere overseas has the same problem.

I've rolled the app back to the system default, wiped the cache and data for it, moved to the beta branch, tried both wifi and 4G but nothing makes it work.

Anyone seen this happen and know what's up?

Aaaand today it's working fine. Well...okay. I've been Google'd once again I guess.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Long shot, but I know there's a few people still using Google Voice. I'm using Google Voice integrated with Hangouts, and I'm tired of voicemail transcriptions coming through Hangouts, because lately it's been taking hours to come through, and I already have GV push notifications AND emails on. However, I can't find a setting ANYWHERE to turn off the transcription through Hangouts. Anybody know how to turn that off?

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Hey, sorry if this is dumb but I'm having trouble with the whole Google Play Music situation. I only ever used it to buy, download and listen to music and never touched the streaming stuff, so the switch to YT Music is a real pain in the rear end and I'm probably gonna have to find a new app to use. I live rurally and between spotty coverage, outages, and limited data, streaming isn't a super great option.

Since Music Manager is no longer available, I've used Google Takeout to download my Play Music data but now I've just got a bunch of loose MP3s and CSVs and I have no idea what to do with it. Is there an easy way to sort this mess out?
Also, any recommendations for music players if I only want to play local files?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LonelyMudkip posted:

Hey, sorry if this is dumb but I'm having trouble with the whole Google Play Music situation. I only ever used it to buy, download and listen to music and never touched the streaming stuff, so the switch to YT Music is a real pain in the rear end and I'm probably gonna have to find a new app to use. I live rurally and between spotty coverage, outages, and limited data, streaming isn't a super great option.

Since Music Manager is no longer available, I've used Google Takeout to download my Play Music data but now I've just got a bunch of loose MP3s and CSVs and I have no idea what to do with it. Is there an easy way to sort this mess out?
Also, any recommendations for music players if I only want to play local files?

PowerAmp is a great local music player. If it seems to complicated at first try a different skin, and play around with the settings. It is as fancy or as plain looking as you wish. There's a free version but it's worth the cash.

I gave up on the exported playlists, and just used the file folders and file names as a guide to recreate them.

The loose mp3s I didn't deal with as I had all my music mirrored locally anyway. If it is anything like the playlist situation a lot of the data will be in the file names and flat files. Make sure you aren't missing any mp3s- Google Play Music wound up sending me only csv files for about a third of my music, stuff I can only imagine it had deleted as a duplicate. I suggest getting a music library manager
for your desktop to sort through everything and re-tag as needed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are the downloaded files tagged properly? Get a media manager (I like MediaMonkey), load the files, and have the program rename the files by tag. You can get granular, creating folders and sub-folders based on tags to organize however you like.

MediaMonkey also has an app and I think it let's you manage the library on your phone using the desktop as a server over Wi-Fi. Or manually move stuff and use Power Amp.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I recently switched to local files, too. I ended up using Musicolet as my Android player. And I used beet for the sorting of the files. And samba and foldersync to get them on my phone.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

I recently switched to local files, too. I ended up using Musicolet as my Android player. And I used beet for the sorting of the files. And samba and foldersync to get them on my phone.

Samba Player is too good for this world. It works flawlessly, and it's free?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kheldarn posted:

Samba Player is too good for this world. It works flawlessly, and it's free?

I don't want to play music over samba. I copy files so that I can listen to music without internet connection.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Authenticator Plus stopped syncing to Google Drive with the message "Authenticator requires one or more Google Play services that are not currently available". I'm on Pixel 4XL/Android 11, and I have no idea what this could be about. How do I fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ringu0 posted:

Authenticator Plus stopped syncing to Google Drive with the message "Authenticator requires one or more Google Play services that are not currently available". I'm on Pixel 4XL/Android 11, and I have no idea what this could be about. How do I fix it?

Googling the exact error shows that this is not just affecting you and it hasn't been updated since December of 2018 despite there being API updates that the app should have been updated to accommodate, like the Biometric API. You should contact the developer or move to a different app.