Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tawal posted:

:hai: I did not remember the point of it correctly. Per the !Final Fantasy Wiki!: Triple is the only way for Irvine, Rinoa, and Quistis to achieve the cap of 255, which grants perfect accuracy. Due to this, it is better to stock Triples rather than cast them.

i just thought about this and i don't think it's technically true. you can up most characters stats by using Eden's devour ability on various monsters on the Island Closest to Heaven and the Island Closest to Hell. i'm not positive there is a "hit plus" because it's a weird stat, though, and you'd have to be completely insane even beyond my levels of completionism to try to max out stats using devour. either way, 255 is a hit percentage that works against a monster's EVA, and most monsters' EVA isn't nearly high enough for it to matter. unless you're fighting cactuars, it's pretty hard to miss. being able to act three times a turn seems better to me, even if you're missing one out of every hundred, and i think it's probably less than than, even with a hit of less than 255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

X is the best one imo

Anima can break the 999,999 damage limit lol ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I kinda wish FF8 had separate stocks for casting and junctioning but that would make the game even easier than it already is

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
Final Panty

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I kinda wish FF8 had separate stocks for casting and junctioning but that would make the game even easier than it already is

Ya lol. Though it's always nice when you can cast from drawing for haste an cure etc on enemies

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I can’t play 8 normally anymore because my brain knows the tricks to breaking the game over your knee. In fact I’m not even sure I ever figured out the “legit” way you’re meant to play it. When I was a kid I would sit for hours stocking magic from enemies and also spam the summons. Neither of those felt correct to me though. Then i learned about all the absurd magic you can refine from items and cards to make your stats crazy high and that’s the only way I play it now.

Anyway I’ve been playing 12 again. The Zodiac edition makes it way more enjoyable, I remember I couldn’t stand the game on the PS2. Addicted to doing hunts. Game looks awesome and is pretty relaxing to throw on fast forward and mow through areas.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

man nurse posted:

I can’t play 8 normally anymore because my brain knows the tricks to breaking the game over your knee. In fact I’m not even sure I ever figured out the “legit” way you’re meant to play it. When I was a kid I would sit for hours stocking magic from enemies and also spam the summons. Neither of those felt correct to me though. Then i learned about all the absurd magic you can refine from items and cards to make your stats crazy high and that’s the only way I play it now.

Anyway I’ve been playing 12 again. The Zodiac edition makes it way more enjoyable, I remember I couldn’t stand the game on the PS2. Addicted to doing hunts. Game looks awesome and is pretty relaxing to throw on fast forward and mow through areas.

That's the crazy thing about VIII as I see it, there really is no 'legit' way to play it. Especially once you throw in the ridiculous monsters levelling with you component. You're either playing it in a weird and awkward suboptimal way or a weird optimal way that turns it into a joke. It's wild for a mainline FF game.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
Stormblood started slow but now that I'm near the end of it I actually really like the story.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ruffini posted:

Stormblood started slow but now that I'm near the end of it I actually really like the story.

Shadowbringers kicks rear end, you're in for a treat.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The new Crystal Chronicles remaster has online crossplay but no local co-op whatsoever. What the hell

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The new Crystal Chronicles remaster has online crossplay but no local co-op whatsoever. What the hell

also it makes you enter a new friend code every 30m if you play it online

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's some serious garbage, you can't play with people if they're in a different in-game region and only the host gets the myrrh and story progression

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I never played original CC was multi a big part or can you play solo fine?

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

Lucavi posted:

Final Panty

:twisted: ;)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lucavi posted:

Final Panty

access please

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

I never played original CC was multi a big part or can you play solo fine?

It was really heavily focused on multiplayer, it was originally designed around the GC->GBA link cable so everyone would play using the GBA as a controller and your stats and inventory would be on the GBA screen. And one player had to carry around a crystal bucket that created a safe zone for everyone in the middle of a poison fog. So it was based around coordinating who’s gonna carry the bucket, using different class abilities, etc.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Ruffini posted:

I'm about halfway through Heavensward currently and it's getting better constantly, thankfully. ARR was really painfully unfun

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

the Moguri mod for 9 is p cool, as is 9 itself

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I just had a really long and protracted battle with Gilgamesh in 12 and got a game over right when he was at his last sliver of health.

I’ll get him next time but the fight was so long that I don’t want to try again for a while lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

man nurse posted:

I just had a really long and protracted battle with Gilgamesh in 12 and got a game over right when he was at his last sliver of health.

I’ll get him next time but the fight was so long that I don’t want to try again for a while lol

you got killed by John DiMaggio

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

man nurse posted:

Bicyclops posted:

you got killed by John DiMaggio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgCwbRC4fqc&t=84s

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I beat him

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He’s a fun fight but any of the enemies with the warding for physical and magical simultaneously can be really annoying. I found the final esper hardest though I haven’t done Yiazmat yet

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In VIII edea joining your party at least during the search for Esthar is really cool and unexpected!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

did you get Odin?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

did you get Odin?

Ages ago. I have the official guide and it sends you to get him and Tonberry King before freeing Balamb town. Haven’t gotten Tonberry King yet though that seems like an awkward fight to trigger and is easiest by constantly summoning Diabolos

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Laguna dreams are a bit hosed lol. They totally wipe your character junctions and as I had a bunch of magic on a character who left the party it looks like then Kiros has o magic and for Ward who does I still have to manually redo them all

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yeah Tonberry King is time consuming to get. he has some good abilities like Familiar and Call Shop, but they're better late game.

who gets junctioned to ward and kiros is story driven so yeah, sometimes you're just temporarily hosed if you miss the button for junction switch. it helps that their scenarios are mostly pretty easy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

yeah Tonberry King is time consuming to get. he has some good abilities like Familiar and Call Shop, but they're better late game.

who gets junctioned to ward and kiros is story driven so yeah, sometimes you're just temporarily hosed if you miss the button for junction switch. it helps that their scenarios are mostly pretty easy

In dream 4 and 5 you can choose but when you’re choosing it’s dejunctioned anyone you have currently junctions. However the magic still transfers. So you just have to manually redo everything you high is just weird. In this case edea has all my magic so Kiros couldn’t get any as she’s the only character who can’t be assigned

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

excellent

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

boa is cool, ftw

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

que sera sera posted:

boa is cool, ftw

so is hotaru

we're even

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

me when I'm speaking to hot babes with the power of my heart across the void of space then catching them and jumping onto our own space ferrari

Me when she asks for a hug right after and I say I'm all right thanks

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I assumed Level5 death killed me if I was a multiple of 5 for my character level but it killed all of my characters and one was level 34 and one level 29 only one was a multiple of 5.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Should I play Crystal Chronicles? I never touched it back in the day and I’m wondering if it’s a decent solo experience for $30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

man nurse posted:

Should I play Crystal Chronicles? I never touched it back in the day and I’m wondering if it’s a decent solo experience for $30

Crystal Chronicles owns and is just okay solo, imho. The whole point of the game is the co-op and it really loses something without all the fun timing and poo poo, or arguments over who has the schlep the chalice up that hill.