Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

C2C - 2.0 posted:

A good stop-gap DLC would be based on the Shogun's forces scouring the island for Jin.

Story-wise, yes. Gameplay-wise, I'm less sure. Violence seems a lot iffier in that case, and I find stealth a lot less fun if you can't fall back on fighting when things go south. I'm sure they could do something fun, it just seems tough at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

Ending spoilers: You think he's living if you spare him there? The shogun just has him executed later for failing to kill Jin as the shogun commanded. There is no scenario where Shimura is still left leading that island. I think the better option by far was to let him have the warrior's death right there.

Shimura will most likely stop being the jito of the island but I don't think he will be executed or asked to commit seppuku for not killing Jin though. Most likely he'd tell the shogun that he faced him in honorable combat to give him one last chance to keep his honor in death, and Jin threw that all away by choosing to spare Shimura.

All in all, I was very conflicted about both choices, but tbh actual history teaches us that it didn't go well for the Japanese anyway.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Shimura's shame is more of a personal one imo. Above all else he wanted to redeem Jin's honor but if he failed to do that, he would rather die instead. I doubt the Shogun would simply execute him though since he's officially the hero of Tsushima.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

I doubt the Shogun would simply execute him though since he's officially the hero of Tsushima.

I thought that was Lord Baskethead

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Wow these troops in act 3 aren't loving around

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does the difficulty level effect the length and intensity of the slow mo when you are changing stances? Maybe I'm just crazy but I swear it does.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You don't get slow mo on Hard or above. I started the game on Hard and it wasn't until I tried out Normal did I finally experience the slow mo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Is that only for stance changes or for everything. I swear I remember slow-mo somewhere in my hard playthrough, but I uninstalled it so I can't check.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You still get Concentration, and the special moves that have slow-mo retain it. Hard and Lethal are thankfully not some overcranked 1920s film the whole time.

Edit: oh, and Stand Offs are the same in that aspect as well. My first post should have clarified I was only talking about the stance changes slow-mo. I didn't mean no slow-mo at all.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 29, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
After beating the game I think my only problems with the game are thus:

1. Ending story spoiler: Jin doesn't end up with Tomoe or Yuna, thats bullshit, let him bang!! He's not even a samurai anymore!!
2. No Tengu Mask, bullshit!!
3. The Tengai is too loving good and once I got it I never got to use any of the sweet masks I got cuz I was never taking that straw bucket off my head, left it on for cutscenes too!!
4. Couldn't reflect on the remaining choices by going back into the hot spring, shoulda let us do that to hear them all.
5. None of the incidental dialogue had subtitles, which is dumb. Especially when playing on Japanese VA.

Everything else was ace, great game. Super loved the aesthetic of it all, amazing graphical look. Yuna's voice actress in Japanese was great too, her voice had a cat-quality to it that really befit the thief archetype.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 29, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yuna is probably the best character in the game and a DLC or a sequel with her as a playable character would be pretty awesome.

Just give her some ninja armor.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lobok posted:

You still get Concentration, and the special moves that have slow-mo retain it. Hard and Lethal are thankfully not some overcranked 1920s film the whole time.

Edit: oh, and Stand Offs are the same in that aspect as well. My first post should have clarified I was only talking about the stance changes slow-mo. I didn't mean no slow-mo at all.

Pulling off a Perfect Parry will give you a slo-mo. Not sure about Perfect Dodge (don't think it does).

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Pulling off a Perfect Parry will give you a slo-mo. Not sure about Perfect Dodge (don't think it does).

It does actually, otherwise it would be too easy to miss the window for counterattack.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jerkface posted:

After beating the game I think my only problems with the game are thus:

1. Ending story spoiler: Jin doesn't end up with Tomoe or Yuna, thats bullshit, let him bang!! He's not even a samurai anymore!!

No, I'm glad they didn't go that route. In also glad they didn't make Yuna super attractive and looking like a model or put her inn a skimpy outfit/show some annoying fan service at any point. Everyone in the game just like looks like the regular people that voiced them, for the most part, and it's great.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I grew up in the early oughts, where the only representation Asian women had in video games were literally just “Boob Ninjas”, so seeing a couple of completely average looking women just loving owning Samurai and Barbarians is awesome.

Not that I don’t love Kasumi and Ayane and want them to take me away from all of this, but more real looking women and less Rob Liefeld drawings in games is good.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm also glad they didn't force a romance too hard, though it is kind of funny how post credits she just says well guess we both have a lot of work to do, good bye forever

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm usually against romance as the cliche overused story option, but somehow I wanted more for Jin + Yuna too. Maybe because it was so understated and normal feeling as it was, I might have turned on it after all of it was a bigger thread.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
To me there was no romance there between the two. Jin and his homie though? There's something there for sure.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There were some moments towards the end that stood out a lot more on my second playthrough, there was definitely a bit of something there.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

JackDarko posted:

To me there was no romance there between the two. Jin and his homie though? There's something there for sure.

In act 3 she says "I can't lose you Jin, after everything we've been through and everyone else we've lost, I just can't. Let's take a boat and sail somewhere quiet while your uncle fights his samurai war."

Not necessarily romantic but there's a very strong relationship between them.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 29, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Add me to the list of "glad they didn't hamfist a love subplot in."

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Jin and Yuna has "sequel/DLC hook" written all over it and you are blind if you don't see this

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I don't care if its cliche, and Yuna being a completely normal looking woman is part of the appeal of a Jin/Yuna romance! The story trades on a lot of samurai story tropes and there is romance in Samurai, its the only thing missing! You spend the entire game together over whats represented as a long period of time, coming to understand her history and tragedies and helping her to move past them. Before the actual ending I thought Jin elevating her to nobility by marrying her into Clan Sakai would be one end, but then after Sakai is disbanded and they are each the only things they have left in the world for each other they should be together!!

I do not approve of Jincel.

Give me Jinoe or Yunin.

For me the Tomoe angle would have made more sense for the kind of pulpy story telling with romance blooming on the battlefield between 2 rival students of the great master on opposite sides of the war, BUT they simply don't introduce Tomoe as an actual character early enough for it to happen. If they went that way I'd have wanted Jin to meet and talk with Tomoe much earlier in the story progression and make it more tragic. I liked the bones of the Tomoe story, but they didnt sell it enough at the end that she was misunderstood/forced into it/just trying to survive, so as is the romance wouldnt work. As it stands I did like Jin knowing it was Tomoe the whole time in that 8th mission and I liked showing her that the ghost FUCKS on mongols all day up close. I liked the little "oh poo poo ur not kiddin" when u take out the patrol.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You goons know it's okay to have women in games not be romantic objects right? Thank god the game knows this.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
The Khotun Khan duel really felt like crap to me. The guy at the end of the kensei armor quest was the next toughest but I felt like if i got hit it was my mistake. 80% of Khotun's attacks are sweeping unblockables, the dodge feels really sluggish and bad against him, and it seems like he auto knocks you over sometimes if you try to hit him before a combo. Sometimes the unblockable warning would just stick on his weapon while he was doing other stuff too. At least it was fun to go all out with your tools right after that.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Jin and Yuna has "sequel/DLC hook" written all over it and you are blind if you don't see this

Either this or it's heavily implied that they will be good friends down the line.

Strobe posted:

You goons know it's okay to have women in games not be romantic objects right? Thank god the game knows this.

Does it though?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

To me it felt like a quick and dirty “you’re going to be able to run around the map and do whatever you want now for however long so here’s a reason why you’re not going to see this character again while you’re doing it”

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

To me it felt like a quick and dirty “you’re going to be able to run around the map and do whatever you want now for however long so here’s a reason why you’re not going to see this character again while you’re doing it”

Well you do if you haven't finished her sidequests.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just started Act 2 and the game is good but very repetitive. Is there anything new enough in Act 2 to make me continue if I am bored of the game?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If you're not enjoying the story, scenery, or combat then I'd guess no.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

blue squares posted:

I just started Act 2 and the game is good but very repetitive. Is there anything new enough in Act 2 to make me continue if I am bored of the game?

Do the walls of Yarikawa quest.

It's pretty cool.

Also Six Blades of Kojiro quest in the south west corner of the map.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Act 2 is rough in the beginning especially if you did ALL of Act 1 like I did, but push on and it'll still be engaging

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I really enjoyed the first part of Act II. I had to go back to the first island a bit but it didn't take me long to get a fully upgraded Gosaku's Armour. Between the extra offensive ability from that and everything else unlocked, exploring a new map again and duels I really had more fun then than I did at the start of Act I.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Act 2 has the 5 Ronin duels, i'd at least try one or two of those

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Pocket Billiards posted:

I really enjoyed the first part of Act II. I had to go back to the first island a bit but it didn't take me long to get a fully upgraded Gosaku's Armour. Between the extra offensive ability from that and everything else unlocked, exploring a new map again and duels I really had more fun then than I did at the start of Act I.

it takes time to unlock enough stuff to start feeling confident, not to mention gaining all your stances. But Act II had me feeling like a badass and then Act III roles around and I'm back to feeling like a scrub.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bust Rodd posted:

Act 2 has the 5 Ronin duels, i'd at least try one or two of those

The fact that there were only 5 and they didn't hamfist a way to have more in Act 3 was the biggest tragedy of this game, because those duels were all awesome and having a few in really crazily cinematic snowy areas would be rad as hell.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like I saw a duel in a burning building in ads but can’t remember being in one. I remember the cave full of candles, and the burning leaves on the hillside while the samurai are approaching, I mean inside a temple as it’s burning down or something.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Strobe posted:

Given the opportunity people will ship inanimate objects with each other.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, I played this over a week and I've gotta say, I'm profoundly let down. This came as a surprise, really, because while I fully expected the story to be a mess for a hundred different reasons I came in willing to forget everything I'd read about Japanese historical topics I don't fully understand and just take the samurai power fantasy at its word and be the fearless protector of the downtrodden we're invited to imagine Jin as, and I figured it'd probably still be a pretty fun game into the bargain, so I liked my odds. Instead I found that nothing really changes gameplay-wise between the first hour and the last, there's a lot of placeholders where there should be gameplay systems and the story keeps trying to portray Jin as being torn between honour and pragmatism when the actual events of the story resolve that conflict within the opening hours (there are some angles from which the plot works, such as being a tragedy in which Jin's inevitable embracing of his Ghost tactics force Shimura into an unwinnable situation where he's caught between the Shogun's justice and Jin's, but it takes two acts of transparent hand-wringing to get to that point).

I guess this is just gonna be one of those times where I conclude that I have to be insane because everyone around me is telling me that the moment-to-moment play of this thing is rich and varied and fun and engaging and I'm just, like, did everyone else not just do the 50 identical crowd brawls and 20 identical duels I just did? Did I get a glitched copy that removes any interesting mechanics from stances and any depth from combat options? I'll grant that light-heavy-block-dodge-parry is a classic for a good reason, but, man, none of the enemies really felt distinct in any way other than what button I had to press with R2 in order to be able to stun them (assuming they couldn't be rendered ineffective with ordinary parries). Alternatively you can just throw whatever ghost weapon you have for an effortless kill. I liked the duels the first five or so times but they also don't seem to be distinct at all from regular fights except they take a bit longer and you don't have to manage any crowds, nor do they seem to be in any way distinct from eachother. I figured that at least the ones from the mythic weapons or the ronin or the final loving boss would bring some unique flair to these things but I guess not? Everything just seems to blur together for me and all I can remember is sword-guys (the only enemy type that ever gave me any trouble; their combo seems to have a very unusual parry window) and literally everyone else.

I really feel like I'm taking crazy pills on this one. A bunch of people whose opinions I take seriously all seem to disagree with what I've outlined here and I've looked and looked and I can only conclude that this aggressive sameness just doesn't seem to bug most people about this game like it does me?

I also found it profoundly weird that there's a swipe shortcut for playing the flute and four songs to play but you can only choose a song by going triple deep into a menu to equip it.

In closing, I can't believe they didn't reuse the stupid-as-hell morality meter from Infamous Second Son and broadly branch the plot in the same way, because maybe this is just the crazy pills again but it seems like that would have been mechanically and thematically a slam dunk for this plot? Make us actually choose between the Ghost and the Samurai, make us commit to one style in order to use its best moves... of course, this would require the game to make a more convincing case for honour, when what it has rings so consistently hollow... I dunno.

Oh well. The game was at least unbelievably pretty, except in act 3. I'm very glad I didn't play with the greyscale filter. I want to bring something positive to this post so I'll say that this game has the best implementation of a photo mode I've yet seen, and I hope in the PS5 era they take this even further, and let me do absolutely wild poo poo like rotate the sky as well as change the time, manipulate or hide certain models within the frame, set characters to particular animation states, etc etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Strobe posted:

They have good chemistry and Jin really wants to nut if you pay attention to his thoughts in the hot springs. There's been a weird turn towards desexualization in media, especially in movies since Disney owns everything, and it's both antiseptic and inhuman. It's good and healthy for people to gently caress.