Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Shumagorath posted:

I wasn't going to post this hot take earlier but... Division 1 was a much better story than Division 2 and way more feminist. I actively enjoyed being lectured about DNA during that one mission where the Cleaners burn a department store.

Yeah that's exactly the mission I have in mind, fwiw. Kandel was a good character and her being kinda bored with you throughout that mission is what made me like her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

It’s when I read posts about the story that I realize just how ignorant I am about the world I play in, like I just don’t pay attention if it’s not a “story” focused game. my understanding of the Div 2 story - Keener bad, President bad (maybe?), we’re probably baddies too. I should go read a synopsis or a let’s play and actually get up to speed.

No, you're not wrong, the game does a truly horrible job at communicating the interesting stuff. The gist is "click on health bars until bad guys die." I just feel like there's occasionally some half-not-lovely writing beneath that sometimes

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

anime tupac posted:

No, you're not wrong, the game does a truly horrible job at communicating the interesting stuff. The gist is "click on health bars until bad guys die." I just feel like there's occasionally some half-not-lovely writing beneath that sometimes

Yeah, I do have to give them credit in that the click on health bars until a gold or green light shines up to the sky bit works for me in a way that only Diablo has done in the past. But yeah that’s my story, make the mobile lootsacks become static loot sacks.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

anime tupac posted:

I can't remember which deaf lesbian you're referring to, so I may be talking about stuff you already know, but did you play the first one? Because Jessica Kandel, the doctor in that one, was cool as heck and had a wife (though they were divorced) and it was one of those rare cases in games where that just got mentioned and nobody made a big thing out of it. They were lez, whatever, next. I appreciated that the story, such as it is, didn't even dwell on it; these two women had their own thing together and the rest of us were not party to it. (well there were some side missions I think)

e: not to mention that Kandel was just cool regardless of her sexuality. I hate when games treat you like you're the savior of the world, and Kandel was like "UGH here's some idiot." and for a long time treated you like one

It's the Missing Wire Scavengers side mission quest givers. They're in the apartment in the upper right corner of the DC map.

And yeah, I've heard of those two in Div1, and I think that's great.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

It’s when I read posts about the story that I realize just how ignorant I am about the world I play in, like I just don’t pay attention if it’s not a “story” focused game. my understanding of the Div 2 story - Keener bad, President bad (maybe?), we’re probably baddies too. I should go read a synopsis or a let’s play and actually get up to speed.

There isn’t really much to get up to speed on. Division 1 definitely cared a bit more about its characters than Division 2 ever did, even after Division 2 brought 3 of 4 of them back in the New York space, but even that is more window dressing and quotable lines than anything substantial. There’s just more of it than Division 2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I wasn't going to post this hot take earlier but... Division 1 was a much better story than Division 2 and way more feminist. I actively enjoyed being lectured about DNA during that one mission where the Cleaners burn a department store.

Yeah I was fine hearing that line for the first two or three times. Not so much after hundreds of speedruns :haw:

The dialogue between Rhodes and Benitez right before the last fight in Dragon's Nest... Now that's a thing I'll never get tired. I loved both NPCs and they're imo, the best part of WONY.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Yeah I was fine hearing that line for the first two or three times. Not so much after hundreds of speedruns :haw:

The dialogue between Rhodes and Benitez right before the last fight in Dragon's Nest... Now that's a thing I'll never get tired. I loved both NPCs and they're imo, the best part of WONY.

I mean, at least those two had personalities (Rhodes more so; Benitez was kind of a generic NYC cop and more memorable for the grizzled VA work). I don't understand having the chance to write video game dialogue and just completely whiffing on it. I majored in writing, and writing a video game is every dork's dream job, and then look at the guy we get who runs the Campus. I can't even remember his name. Henry something, I think? His personality is that he's a completely normal man who is utterly unmemorable in every way. His collectible dialogues are the blandest stuff imaginable. "We all have to be strong now and work together," yeah okay. Odessa seemed like she might be interesting, but then she basically never interacts with you again. At least Rhodes kinda hating me made me remember him.

I feel like the rogue agents/manhunt targets have more creative writing put into them than any of the NPCs you're supposed to be friendly with. I was really jazzed when I started this game because Kelso joins you for the hotel mission, and I was like, awesome! NPCs aren't just like Faye "My Leg Hurts" Lau anymore! But then that never really happened again after that. And every additional update gives us more and more information about manhunt targets, the only point of whom is to finally find them and click on them until they are no longer alive and then forget about them.

This post sounds really negative so I want to clarify I don't mean it to seem that bitchy, I still like the game! I have fun with it! I just wish the writing had been concentrated in basically any possible way except how it was. And I'd love more missions like Grand Washington Hotel where some unique NPC shows up, and we adjust strategy based on what (s)he provides and stuff like that.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

anime tupac posted:

Yeah that's exactly the mission I have in mind, fwiw. Kandel was a good character and her being kinda bored with you throughout that mission is what made me like her.

Kandel is also a total nerd about stuff sometimes. There's a mission where she takes over the radio to make sure the unseen NPC cleanup team is doing everything properly, and you can almost hear the dude responding to her rolling his eyes as he tells her that yes, they know what they're doing. I forget most of the context and almost everything about the mission itself, but I remember her ending it by saying something like "let's move this to another channel so we don't bore the agents."

I just remembered that Faye calls you "age" (like short for "agent") in that mission (and a few other times) and it always sounded weird to me.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 30, 2020

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

anime tupac posted:

I mean, at least those two had personalities (Rhodes more so; Benitez was kind of a generic NYC cop and more memorable for the grizzled VA work). I don't understand having the chance to write video game dialogue and just completely whiffing on it. I majored in writing, and writing a video game is every dork's dream job, and then look at the guy we get who runs the Campus. I can't even remember his name. Henry something, I think? His personality is that he's a completely normal man who is utterly unmemorable in every way. His collectible dialogues are the blandest stuff imaginable. "We all have to be strong now and work together," yeah okay. Odessa seemed like she might be interesting, but then she basically never interacts with you again. At least Rhodes kinda hating me made me remember him.

I feel like the rogue agents/manhunt targets have more creative writing put into them than any of the NPCs you're supposed to be friendly with. I was really jazzed when I started this game because Kelso joins you for the hotel mission, and I was like, awesome! NPCs aren't just like Faye "My Leg Hurts" Lau anymore! But then that never really happened again after that. And every additional update gives us more and more information about manhunt targets, the only point of whom is to finally find them and click on them until they are no longer alive and then forget about them.

This post sounds really negative so I want to clarify I don't mean it to seem that bitchy, I still like the game! I have fun with it! I just wish the writing had been concentrated in basically any possible way except how it was. And I'd love more missions like Grand Washington Hotel where some unique NPC shows up, and we adjust strategy based on what (s)he provides and stuff like that.

I really hate how they teased that for the final mission of the expansion but then Kelso gets injured long enough to not actually be present until the final cutscene.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

beats for junkies posted:

Kandel is also a total nerd about stuff sometimes. There's a mission where she takes over the radio to make sure the unseen NPC cleanup team is doing everything properly, and you can almost hear the dude responding to her rolling his eyes as he tells her that yes, they know what they're doing. I forget most of the context and almost everything about the mission itself, but I remember her ending it by saying something like "let's move this to another channel so we don't bore the agents."

I just remembered that Faye calls you "age" (like short for "agent") in that mission (and a few other times) and it always sounded weird to me.

I completely remember that too, she's talking about how to make sure the cleanup team that comes in after you knows how to administer vaccines and stuff I think. I like that, I like that she's kind of an overbearing nerd. She has a PhD and I'm just some grunt; she should be

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

I really hate how they teased that for the final mission of the expansion but then Kelso gets injured long enough to not actually be present until the final cutscene.

I never saw any of that, is it related to how people thought Kelso was going to go rogue or whatever?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

anime tupac posted:

I completely remember that too, she's talking about how to make sure the cleanup team that comes in after you knows how to administer vaccines and stuff I think. I like that, I like that she's kind of an overbearing nerd. She has a PhD and I'm just some grunt; she should be

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you, just to be clear. Kandel was great, all the time (until the speedrun endgame stage, like someone mentioned earlier), and I'm really bummed that she was the only one of the main cast who didn't come back In Warlords.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

anime tupac posted:

I never saw any of that, is it related to how people thought Kelso was going to go rogue or whatever?

No. Did you miss the part where she briefly fights alongside you on the ferry and then gets injured and doesn't show up again til Keener is dead?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

No. Did you miss the part where she briefly fights alongside you on the ferry and then gets injured and doesn't show up again til Keener is dead?

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember that but was more pissed off about the annoying Keener fight and then that finally ended and I never thought about it again.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kelso surprised me because it was fairly obvious that she was Rogue material but then her oassion about shooting "bad guys" even over her cat (that I won't forgive) made her stick with The Division.

Also gently caress you Manny. I do know about pilot Torres and Kenly College but I don't want to replay that garbage and stop calling ISAC a piece of poo poo wristwatch.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Guillermus posted:

stop calling ISAC a piece of poo poo wristwatch.

Enemy control point detected

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Morter posted:

Russians nearby.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Morter posted:

Rainbow rolls ahoy!

beats for junkies posted:

Russians nearby.

it's a Tom Clancy game and yet we don't get to fight them, we even got the russian consulate mission in 1, what the hell Massive, I want my Tom Clancy fantasy to be complete :argh:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally hopped back into division 2. Do goons ever run iron horse on ps4? I'd like to give it a shot someday but finding a chill raid group is tough.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

tweet my meat posted:

Finally hopped back into division 2. Do goons ever run iron horse on ps4? I'd like to give it a shot someday but finding a chill raid group is tough.

I feel like there’s about three goons that play division on PS4 still (myself being one) so it might be a tall order.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
I think they ran out of gas on Division 2 and just wanted to get the game out the door. Division 1 had this for example: 'New York Collapse' Book. I was hoping for something similar with Division 2.

The mission that stood out for me the most in Division 1 was "Missing Person: Alexis Kwan" I remember just standing there listening to her play the piano for some time - that was one of my Top 10 video game moments.

I'm spending the downtime before Skyscraper getting the rest of my commendations taken care of, and collecting all of the audio recordings.

Chopin's Raindrop Prelude

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 31, 2020

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Devlan Mud posted:

I feel like there’s about three goons that play division on PS4 still (myself being one) so it might be a tall order.

Sad to hear, but I'm sure there's some kind of LFG discord out there I can find.

I'm really excited at the prospect of agnostic gear mod slots in the upcoming title update. I can take my true patriot tardigrade support build from about 30% crit chance to 45-50%. Unfortunately the new rainbow loot fix, if left as is, would make it impossible to acquire a true patriot piece with both weapon damage and crit chance so I think I'm gonna prioritize getting godroll crit chance/damage rolls on the pieces while I can just in case they don't change it so I can have as many weapon damage/crit pieces as possible.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The lack of any sort of engaging or cohesive story was what killed my interest in the game. I should have read the writing on the wall when the main campaign wasn't able to metaphorically stand on its own two feet, but Kenley College dropping dead on arrival just killed what little enthusiasm I had left.

I'm not sure how they're going to salvage the series given the actual pandemic, an economic crisis that will likely depress sales, Ubi's damaged brand recognition and using the Division characters for Ubi's lovely gacha mobile game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

What, are you telling me that being able to play as literal fascist Charles Bliss to put down "not BLM" terrorists doesn't move the needle for you?

They definitely put more effort into the story telling post-release. WONY has it in spades, though it probably doesn't mean much if you didn't play Division 1. They did go back and add/move a lot of audio logs along mission critical paths though that stuff might've been too little too late. Like say what you will about the Division 1's story, it's not really that good but it's kind of coherent meanwhile 2's is almost entirely in the background and if you don't go digging through collectibles you'd be hard pressed to even regurgitate a brief summary of it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

UnknownMercenary posted:

What, are you telling me that being able to play as literal fascist Charles Bliss to put down "not BLM" terrorists doesn't move the needle for you?

They definitely put more effort into the story telling post-release. WONY has it in spades, though it probably doesn't mean much if you didn't play Division 1. They did go back and add/move a lot of audio logs along mission critical paths though that stuff might've been too little too late. Like say what you will about the Division 1's story, it's not really that good but it's kind of coherent meanwhile 2's is almost entirely in the background and if you don't go digging through collectibles you'd be hard pressed to even regurgitate a brief summary of it.
Outside of the Presidential assassination conspiracy and the Roosevelt Island quarantine leading to True Sons and Outcasts, all of the audio logs and echoes I got didn't really amount to anything - and I collected almost all of them. I recall one of the D&H guys realizing there was a conspiracy going on that they weren't in on, but nothing ever came of it or later referenced it that I recall.

Did they ever do anything interesting with the two unnamed unfriendlies? I remember there being guys in black hoodies with bows and a trash-armor chainsaw guy who had unique unidentified faction symbols associated with them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
D1 had significantly more entertaining in-mission radio which D2 could really use, and at least started on with WONY. From Rikers randomly shouting on the power plant PA to possibly literally yes, just more people got to say something rather than one - and only one - of Manny, Kelso, or Cindy

and i bet most people don't even remember who Cindy is

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Psion posted:

D1 had significantly more entertaining in-mission radio which D2 could really use, and at least started on with WONY. From Rikers randomly shouting on the power plant PA to possibly literally yes, just more people got to say something rather than one - and only one - of Manny, Kelso, or Cindy

and i bet most people don't even remember who Cindy is

I remember when she was just "Drone Operator"

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I (and I suspect many others) spent way too much time hanging around in the Terminal just listening to Rick Valassi.

Also, as you mentioned, there is definitely much more interesting radio chatter. The aforementioned "DNA unzipping like a cheap prom dress", "It's not JTF", etc. There are a few lines like that in Div2 ("So loving kill them!", or basically any lines in the Hyena missions) but it is for the most part your mission handler talking to you. They did get better at it later on like with the Black Tusk bosses hamming it up in the new invasion missions or Coney Island, or the WONY banter between the old and new cast.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cindy should have been your handler for The Tombs so she could have drone fights with Parnell.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

tweet my meat posted:

Sad to hear, but I'm sure there's some kind of LFG discord out there I can find.

I'm really excited at the prospect of agnostic gear mod slots in the upcoming title update. I can take my true patriot tardigrade support build from about 30% crit chance to 45-50%. Unfortunately the new rainbow loot fix, if left as is, would make it impossible to acquire a true patriot piece with both weapon damage and crit chance so I think I'm gonna prioritize getting godroll crit chance/damage rolls on the pieces while I can just in case they don't change it so I can have as many weapon damage/crit pieces as possible.

What's your PSN name? I'm one of the few PS4 players left.

I haven't been keeping up on things. What's the rainbow loot fix?

edit: NM, I checked out the last SOTG recap on Reddit.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 31, 2020

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Cindy should have been your handler for The Tombs so she could have drone fights with Parnell.

That would have been a really cool dynamic fight where if you do some sequence she can self-destruct the drones

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

UnknownMercenary posted:

I (and I suspect many others) spent way too much time hanging around in the Terminal just listening to Rick Valassi.

Also, as you mentioned, there is definitely much more interesting radio chatter. The aforementioned "DNA unzipping like a cheap prom dress", "It's not JTF", etc. There are a few lines like that in Div2 ("So loving kill them!", or basically any lines in the Hyena missions) but it is for the most part your mission handler talking to you. They did get better at it later on like with the Black Tusk bosses hamming it up in the new invasion missions or Coney Island, or the WONY banter between the old and new cast.
I'm re-running Invaded Potomac EC right now and it's depressing just how little motivation Manny gives you to do what you're doing, and globally how no effort is put in to convey he knows gently caress all beyond some toy soldiers.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I don't want Manny's motivation because all I can hear is "shitballs" and "cockholsters"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Morter posted:

I don't want Manny's motivation because all I can hear is "shitballs" and "cockholsters"

Nice job Sheriff

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Morter posted:

Ah, shitballs, the true Tom Clancy's expression of annoyance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbEDLHexwsk

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

My friend was a big Rick Valassi fan and he was super pissed that when he got back to NYC Rick had a broadcast that was like: "Hey, I'm Rick Valassi and I'm gonna tell you everything going on! Anyway, here's some music." and then cut to music

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

anime tupac posted:

My friend was a big Rick Valassi fan and he was super pissed that when he got back to NYC Rick had a broadcast that was like: "Hey, I'm Rick Valassi and I'm gonna tell you everything going on! Anyway, here's some music." and then cut to music

Sometimes the radio clips in DC throw the wrong bookends together and it's like "hope you all enjoyed that music, anyway, here's some music" instead of month 18 of "they're going to the white house, we didn't always see eye to eye but we'll miss them"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

anime tupac posted:

How pilled on Q is your friend?

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

When is the best time to do the WONY expansion? I've just hit 30 last night and got the black tusk appearance. Wondering if a change of scene might be nice by going to NY, or if it's best to hold off until I ding 40?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Marshal Plugnut posted:

When is the best time to do the WONY expansion? I've just hit 30 last night and got the black tusk appearance. Wondering if a change of scene might be nice by going to NY, or if it's best to hold off until I ding 40?
iirc you need to go to NYC to level past 30, and you can't come back to DC until you hit 40 & complete the WONY campaign

if you've already done the final black tusk mission and killed wyvern you might as well go to NY

Roman fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 1, 2020