Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So I've got a recently built Ryzen 5 3600 and Radeon RX 5700 XT PC here that just lost the second monitor. Power went out, and when it came back on, nothing would make the monitor power up, so I figure the power board is toast. The one I lost was a 10-year old Dell SP2304W 23", and I still have a Dell U2715H 27" (2560 x 1440). I figure I might as well take this opportunity to upgrade my primary monitor and slide the U2715H over to become the new secondary. I do work from home on this PC and a work laptop, and I also want to play games on any new monitor, and I've been enjoying 1440p. I don't think 4k would do me much good given the distance I'd be sitting at, and I'm sure it'd be overpriced anyway.

Is there any reason not to get the LG27GL83A, aside from being able to find the drat thing? Is there a beefier monitor I could drive with this for a bit more cash, or is the LG basically the best option? I assume it'll work with FreeSync on my card and CPU? I thought Cisco gear was king poo poo for weird model numbers and stupid featureset differences, but drat, monitors in 2020 are making me wonder if it's time to hand off the crown. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's a freesync monitor first and foremost, that just happens to be certified for nvidia gsync. Go for it

You could conceivably spend more for better 1440p144 monitors maybe, but it's the value king

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I've got exactly the same setup as you, same card and cpu and I'm happy with my purchase notwithstanding my comments a few posts above.

I'm getting around 120fps at full settings in the game I'm playing right now (Prey), and the black screen issue I mentioned seems to be in hand. I did have to manually tweak the fan settings on the 5700 as running at 144hz means it's usually going full tilt where it was quite idle before at 75hz. That's a different topic though.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

GTO posted:

I've got exactly the same setup as you, same card and cpu and I'm happy with my purchase notwithstanding my comments a few posts above.

I'm getting around 120fps at full settings in the game I'm playing right now (Prey), and the black screen issue I mentioned seems to be in hand. I did have to manually tweak the fan settings on the 5700 as running at 144hz means it's usually going full tilt where it was quite idle before at 75hz. That's a different topic though.

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to hear. Are the fan settings hiding in Performance/Tuning behind the EULA OF DOOOOOOM?

Kween
Jan 9, 2005
Not recently,no
Dell S2721DGF

Anyone have any opinions on this monitor as compared to the lg 83a/850?

Its on sale atm so its a good £50/$70 cheaper than the lg is available for

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Same panel as the 850 based on some user tear downs, so performance differences will be with the driver board and software. Haven’t seen many reviews of the Dell yet so dunno if those changes put it above or below LG’s implementation (or Viewsonics, or AOCs, or Lenovo’s etc)

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I don't know if this is the right thread, but are there any decent mobile monitors out there that can attach to a laptop and aren't $250+? My only requirements are 1080p, a one cable connection, and a not catastrophically bad response time.

There seem to be some decent solutions in the $150 range, except they're standalone.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Kween posted:

Dell S2721DGF

Anyone have any opinions on this monitor as compared to the lg 83a/850?

Its on sale atm so its a good £50/$70 cheaper than the lg is available for

I ended up pulling the trigger on this one; I had a code from signing up for their e-mails that brought the price down 10% to $387 before taxes, which is close enough to the LG for me, especially if it's the same panel. I've had nothing but excellent experiences with Dell monitors; the one I'm replacing lasted over 10 years of heavy use before finally blowing a cap or something. Paying an extra :10bux: for Dell over LG is an easy choice for me.

Now I just get to wait almost a month. :v:

Kween
Jan 9, 2005
Not recently,no
If it's the same panel I'd expect it to be at least pretty close to the lg. Its not like dell are known for turning out lovely monitors.

Pulled the trigger, should be here next week :)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Quixzlizx posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread, but are there any decent mobile monitors out there that can attach to a laptop and aren't $250+? My only requirements are 1080p, a one cable connection, and a not catastrophically bad response time.

There seem to be some decent solutions in the $150 range, except they're standalone.

Lenovo makes decent 24” 1080p IPS monitors for relatively cheap. You’ll need to know what your laptop has for output ports though — its almost always HDMI but you need to be sure.

And wait when you say one cable, do you mean powered by the cable as well? Because I’m not sure that’s a thing that I’m aware of, certainly not in the given budget range.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tehinternet posted:

Lenovo makes decent 24” 1080p IPS monitors for relatively cheap. You’ll need to know what your laptop has for output ports though — its almost always HDMI but you need to be sure.

And wait when you say one cable, do you mean powered by the cable as well? Because I’m not sure that’s a thing that I’m aware of, certainly not in the given budget range.

A portable monitor is a pretty specific thing. Like, they're usually USB-powered or they have an internal battery. With TB3 or USB-C they can be powered and fed from a single port. Compact sizes and low weight for carrying in some kind of luggage. Think like the Lenovo M14.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Yeah, here's an example of the product class I'm talking about :

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Portable-Dual-Screen-Dual-Side-Lightweight/dp/B07V465K93/ref=sr_1_4

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tuyop posted:

A portable monitor is a pretty specific thing. Like, they're usually USB-powered or they have an internal battery. With TB3 or USB-C they can be powered and fed from a single port. Compact sizes and low weight for carrying in some kind of luggage. Think like the Lenovo M14.

Well holy poo poo. How did I not know these were things? I appreciate the heads up and your both not being smug shitters re: my ignorance.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It’s probably worth mentioning that an iPad can also probably serve this purpose with a $10 app like Duet. It is more expensive but you get a tablet out of it too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tuyop posted:

It’s probably worth mentioning that an iPad can also probably serve this purpose with a $10 app like Duet. It is more expensive but you get a tablet out of it too.

From what I've read it seems like Duet is almost certainly going to have some lag and/or other limitations compared to an actual display.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I have the Acer 15.6" portable monitor; it can be powered off a TB3 or USB-C (with PD) port, or if the USB-C port can't provide power, it also has a separate little micro USB plug-in with wall plug. Brightness is low, but for movement around the house with a laptop as I try to work at home with a 3-year old, it works nicely.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Just saw this guy on Newegg; this would be pretty comparable to the thread recommended LG, right? https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168240...A1A&ignorebbr=1 Seems to have the same specs, similarly priced, and is actually in stock.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Just saw this guy on Newegg; this would be pretty comparable to the thread recommended LG, right? https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168240...A1A&ignorebbr=1 Seems to have the same specs, similarly priced, and is actually in stock.

Same panel as the LG (and all the others), but I haven't seen any reviews of it yet as far as implementation.

for the record, the monitors that have that same panel as far as we know are:

LG 27GL850
LG 27GL83A
LG 27GN850
ViewSonic XG270GQ
Lenovo Y27Q-20
AOC AG273QXP
Dell S2721DGF (technically a different panel variant, but the specs seem identical?)
Acer CP3271U
Philips 275M1RZ
HP Omen 27i
Eve Spectrum QHD
Gigabyte G27Q
MSI PAG272QR
MSI PAG272QR2 (maybe? claims to have quantum dot?)

AUOptronics new panel also seems good, like used in the ASUS TUF VG27AQ, but I'm not sure what else is using that new revision yet. Seems to have better contrast but slightly worse colors and motion handling.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 28, 2020

Feb 2, 2005

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I just grabbed this on an impulse. I'll report back on its quality when it arrives next week.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Cygni posted:

Same panel as the LG (and all the others), but I haven't seen any reviews of it yet as far as implementation.

There were a number of reviews on Newegg for only the curved version, weirdly, but they were generally positive.

Quote posted:

I just grabbed this on an impulse. I'll report back on its quality when it arrives next week.

I did as well. I don't have enough expertise that my opinion will be useful to the thread, so I'll look forward to your review!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Is there a thread recommendation for someone who wants a single monitor, mostly for gaming? (asking for a friend)

Are super wides and curved screens recommended? And what is the recommended size?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

LG27GL83-A or LG27GL850-B (same monitor, latter has a USB hub)

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Figures the LG27GL83A comes back in stock in Canada the day after I get my ViewSonic VX2758-2KP. Is it worth the extra $50 and return hassle to snag the LG? The ViewSonic has some backlight bleed that's not too bad but I was considering exchanging it.

Edit: Just went ahead with it, I used my Dell U2414H for years and I'd like a monitor with a similar lifespan and quality and it doesn't look like the ViewSonic is it, whereas the LG hits closer to that target.

Martian Manfucker fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 29, 2020

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

How are the cheaper IPS displays out there? I'm looking for a replacement for my secondary monitor, so I don't want to pay too much. I'm basically looking at upgrading to a better looking IPS or VA screen, 24-27" and ideally 1440p from my 24" 1080p TN display.
Looking at the reviews on like Amazon there's always one or two reviews complaining about backlight bleeding or IPS glow issues. I guess those will always happen and I just have to gamble and send it back if it's bad?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The 83a-b is back in stock at Amazon. I cancelled my order and ordered another since shipping on the first didn't update and was still October for some reason.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm planning to upgrade from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 3090, and I noticed the leaked models only have 3x DisplayPort + 1x HDMI as outputs. I have 3x 1440p monitors (an ASUS PG278Q and two ancient Dells) plus a Valve Index. When I try plugging in any of the monitors over HDMI on my 1080, they cap out at a hideous non-native 1080p, so I have one of them plugged in via DVI-D instead. With DVI going away on the RTX cards, I'm assuming I'm going to need a new monitor with better HDMI support to maintain my setup.

How do I figure out what a monitor is capable of over HDMI? Can the LG the thread recommends do 1440p/144Hz with Gsync over HDMI? Can any monitor?

Unrelated, but looking at various Rtings reviews, am I correct in assuming that HDR on a high refresh rate 1440p monitor is a lost cause at the moment?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

HDR on PC gaming is a lost cause in general. It's simply not worth the hassle. The monitor tech isn't there yet, neither is the software support.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

The 83a-b is back in stock at Amazon. I cancelled my order and ordered another since shipping on the first didn't update and was still October for some reason.

Thank you! I was in the same boat, so I cancelled and reordered, and now it should get to me in a few days!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Thoom posted:

How do I figure out what a monitor is capable of over HDMI? Can the LG the thread recommends do 1440p/144Hz with Gsync over HDMI? Can any monitor?

nvidia doesn't support gsync over HDMI at all, so it won't work. I'd recommend replacing one of your monitors with one that supports MST so you can daisy chain a single DP connection to two monitors.

edit: or if you have integrated video on your PC, use that for one of them.

Inept fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 30, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Thoom posted:

I'm planning to upgrade from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 3090, and I noticed the leaked models only have 3x DisplayPort + 1x HDMI as outputs. I have 3x 1440p monitors (an ASUS PG278Q and two ancient Dells) plus a Valve Index. When I try plugging in any of the monitors over HDMI on my 1080, they cap out at a hideous non-native 1080p, so I have one of them plugged in via DVI-D instead. With DVI going away on the RTX cards, I'm assuming I'm going to need a new monitor with better HDMI support to maintain my setup.

Unrelated, but looking at various Rtings reviews, am I correct in assuming that HDR on a high refresh rate 1440p monitor is a lost cause at the moment?

Do you mean DVI-D or dual-link DVI? DVI-D is electrically compatible with earlier versions of HDMI, anything you are driving via DVI can work with an extremely cheap passive adapter. What you're talking about is almost certainly Dual-link DVI, which is two DVI-D links on a single cable, and the only good way to drive that is by certain active DP -> Dual Link DVI adapters.

More DP and/or HDMI ports may be available on AIB cards, but we won't know until closer to release.

In terms of new monitors, aside from TVs there is nothing with HDMI 2.1 support yet.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Sounds like I should wait to see the ports on AIB cards, and failing that look into daisy chaining.

Thanks!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

floWenoL posted:

Thank you! I was in the same boat, so I cancelled and reordered, and now it should get to me in a few days!

:hfive: yay instant gratification

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I wanted to get a 34" monitor but it seems like it's cheaper and better just to get like two or even three of the 27GL83A-B given how much expensive those 34" are? Is my logic off?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

kw0134 posted:

I wanted to get a 34" monitor but it seems like it's cheaper and better just to get like two or even three of the 27GL83A-B given how much expensive those 34" are? Is my logic off?

With any Ultrawide you pay a "No Bezel" tax. Less cable fuckery, too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have an odd question - someone near me is selling a set of three 29UM69G-B monitors for $300AUD in total. I don't truly need more monitors, but I'm curious if this thread thinks there'd be some money in picking up all three and either reselling individually, or keeping one and selling two. Any advice? They're middling monitors but $300 is really cheap for three. Other monitors are going for $200ish each. Am I missing a catch with this model?

well why not fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 31, 2020

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With any Ultrawide you pay a "No Bezel" tax. Less cable fuckery, too.

That being said, you can mount a triple monitor setup for the price of one of those ultrawides.

And I have one of those ultrawides and a regular 27” and now I wanna get 4K and and and my brand of ocd can’t accept different vertical resolutions across monitors so now I guess I just gotta spend $3k on a C9 and a 3090 ha ha this is fine

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

exquisite tea posted:

Is this the new monitor hotness that everyone is recommending? For some reason it's $150 cheaper to me than anywhere else I look (besides having to wait until October to get it shipped).

Update: They appear to be back in stock and I'm now set to get mine delivered this Saturday.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Update: They appear to be back in stock and I'm now set to get mine delivered this Saturday.

Nice. Worth every penny.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Just ordered mine as well, worth it since I'm officially WFH until the end of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright thread, I generally try to stay out of here because it's not good for my wallet but with the 3080 upgrade coming, what 34 inch ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor should I get? Currently have an LG UM95 34UM95-P and I am itching to upgrade. Budget of maybe around $800?

[Edit: Is the answer a LG 34GN850?]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 1, 2020