Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

my outhouse is my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
please verify me.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I am Evil Forest. I refuse verification to a man the day his life is sweetest to him.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

clockshitting is a lot less cool when you’re wfh

big downside

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

clockshitting is a lot less cool when you’re wfh

big downside

you're outside sipping a drink when you get paged. You don't answer things for 10 mins while you finish the drink. Instead you blame work making GBS threads for your inability to handle a page. Nobody can check.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

MononcQc posted:

you're outside sipping a drink when you get paged. You don't answer things for 10 mins while you finish the drink. Instead you blame work making GBS threads for your inability to handle a page. Nobody can check.
accursed 1997 bran van 3000 vibes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

actually iirc back then pop bands just had a lot of spoken word in the song for no reason

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

thanks for reading me livepost my brain cells flickering out and dying. namaste

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Uptime Sinclair posted:

actually iirc back then pop bands just had a lot of spoken word in the song for no reason

ladies and gentlemen of the class of 99, wear sunscreen.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Uptime Sinclair posted:

hey that reminds me, was it that guy from cake that was mad that michael jackson proclaimed himself the king of pop and climbed up on the stage in protest? i can't find poo poo on google

help me fellow old fucks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
ah found it, it was the guy from pulp not the guy from cake

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Roosevelt posted:

ladies and gentlemen of the class of 99, wear sunscreen.

lol we were so naive

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Everyone was so pissed off in the nineties over nothing lol

like I listened to some mopey-rear end Gin Blossoms song the other day. Why were you so whiny? You guys had it made.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

hey that reminds me, was it that guy from cake that was mad that michael jackson proclaimed himself the king of pop and climbed up on the stage in protest? i can't find poo poo on google

help me fellow old fucks
i used to like cake but they’ve been absolute garbage since at least y2k

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i didn’t really care for the wet hot american netflix show overall but they got some solid body blows on “affected 90s malaise”

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

like I listened to some mopey-rear end Gin Blossoms song the other day. Why were you so whiny? You guys had it made.

idk, maybe it was because we knew the fun times were over and everything was really starting to unravel? like yeah the music was mopey and stupid poo poo but i don't think our generation's angst came from nowhere.

if you were a dumb kid in the late 80s/90s you graduated highschool and got a poo poo job that paid poo poo when your parents maybe got a union job when they were the same age.

it's easy to look back and dismiss all that because yeah everything's objectively worse now but we didn't know that then

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

idk, maybe it was because we knew the fun times were over and everything was really starting to unravel? like yeah the music was mopey and stupid poo poo but i don't think our generation's angst came from nowhere.

if you were a dumb kid in the late 80s/90s you graduated highschool and got a poo poo job that paid poo poo when your parents maybe got a union job when they were the same age.

it's easy to look back and dismiss all that because yeah everything's objectively worse now but we didn't know that then

Coincidentally the Gin Blossoms generation are the core pickup-truck-and-oakleys chud generation now, the Gen Xers

Stymie was right

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

idk, maybe it was because we knew the fun times were over and everything was really starting to unravel?
much like the title “garfield and friends”, this presupposes awareness and access to information that was not safe to assume to be present

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Uptime Sinclair posted:

much like the title “garfield and friends”, this presupposes awareness and access to information that was not safe to assume to be present

yeah fair enough, i might be projecting too because i was somehwat more tuned into poo poo than my peers and even then i almost fell into libertarianism :negative:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
lol i just remembered five years ago when my neighbour in hamilton was out in his yard and went on for 20 minutes to a friend of his about how every band since nirvana has been complete poo poo and will never be topped

i'll definitely never make the case that genx isn't poo poo, though i question if any generation isn't poo poo tbh

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i liked nirvana a lot and kurt's political awareness was a lot higher than most alt rock garbage but lol at thinking music stopped with him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
music became bad at the exact moment I stopped paying attention to it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
classic rock is mostly garbage

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

classic rock is mostly garbage

nirvana is classic rock now so it checks out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there's no denying nirvana's impact on popular culture, but they were mediocre musicians at best

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

The Fool posted:

there's no denying nirvana's impact on popular culture, but they were mediocre musicians at best

dave grohl played and recorded all the instruments on the first foo fighters album by himself

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Coincidentally the Gin Blossoms generation are the core pickup-truck-and-oakleys chud generation now, the Gen Xers

Stymie was right

wish you were part of the silent generation!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

dave grohl played and recorded all the instruments on the first foo fighters album by himself

you're supposed to be outraged by my hot take, not calmly provide evidence against it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

wish you were part of the silent generation!
:bahgawd:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
80s music is better than 90s anyway.

give me cyndi lauper and men without hats over grunge angst any day.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

The Fool posted:

you're supposed to be outraged by my hot take, not calmly provide evidence against it

gently caress YOU!!!!1

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

email just went around the office asking if people are ok acting as though we were all in a “friends and family bubble” to relax social distancing

haha gently caress no, i have a kid in daycare, as does at least one of my coworkers and another has a wife who works at a hospital. not today satan

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

90s music is mopey because anyone self aware living in the 90s was having an existential crisis due to capitalism and imperialism

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

gonna have to agree with this

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

:hmmyes:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

1680's maybe

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

90s rap is better than 80s rap tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Fool posted:

1680's maybe

so, 90s music

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

90s rap is better than 80s rap tho

but 70's rap was the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKTUAESacQM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I recall going to a Jethro Tull concert in the early 2000s, telling about it to my dad who was like "this is way too old for me, go talk about it to this older uncle of yours", and so I did and he was like "Jethro Tull? Aren't they dead?"

Recently they had tickets on sale for another show so I went to check it out. Everyone is gone from the band except the singer who's now too weak to play flute so what you can go do is watch a 73 year old guy sing terrible (the singing was never great) while a bunch of 20 years old you never saw before play music from the 70s and 80s as a backdrop.