Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Ibexaz posted:

Anyone able to confirm if the version of Come And See on the Criterion Channel is the recent restoration?

It definitely is. I tried to watch it a year ago on there and it was pretty obv a videotape transfer. I tried again a month ago and it was a revelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Origami Dali posted:

It definitely is. I tried to watch it a year ago on there and it was pretty obv a videotape transfer. I tried again a month ago and it was a revelation.

Ah that's great to hear! That just sold a sub, haha. I've been meaning to catch this forever but as soon as word came out about the restoration I put it off.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It’s the middle of the month so I’d like to know what movies are leaving the channel that we should be sure to watch. Leviathan has been on my list for a while so that’s one. There are several particularly old movies leaving & I don’t know how easy they are to see, so if any of them are fun or interesting don’t hesitate, but I do have Nosferatu on physical media so I’m not worried about it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chakan posted:

It’s the middle of the month so I’d like to know what movies are leaving the channel that we should be sure to watch. Leviathan has been on my list for a while so that’s one. There are several particularly old movies leaving & I don’t know how easy they are to see, so if any of them are fun or interesting don’t hesitate, but I do have Nosferatu on physical media so I’m not worried about it.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
The Hands of Orlac
Losing Ground
Stop Making Sense
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Origami Dali posted:

Still waiting on that Kurosawa set

wong box when

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You can keep your Wong and Tarkovsky boxes, just give me the Heisei/Millennium follow-up to the Showa Godzilla set :colbert:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Chakan posted:

Husbands and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? are both uniquely engrossing and emotionally violent movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is one of the best stage to screen adaptations ever, if not the best. The history and chemistry between the cast is electric, music is used sparingly and well, and the photography is some of Haskell Wexler's finest.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Chakan posted:

I'm making sure to check out The Sacrifice before it goes, but I haven't seen it yet so I'm not sure how good it is!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fenix down posted:

I'm making sure to check out The Sacrifice before it goes, but I haven't seen it yet so I'm not sure how good it is!

I thought it was pretty good; beautifully shot, sort of meandering and abstract, older man's meditation on life, death, and faith under the threat of Mutually Assured Destruction

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is one of my all-time favorite films.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You can keep your Wong and Tarkovsky boxes, just give me the Heisei/Millennium follow-up to the Showa Godzilla set :colbert:

So many of the Heisei movies aren't in print in any form anymore :(

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ghost Dog, heck yes.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chakan posted:

All three of the Harvard Sensory Ethnography movies are great, not just Leviathan (Sweetgrass and Caniba are the other two). All the Tarkovsky movies. Both the Kelly Reichardt movies (River of Grass and Meek’s Cutoff)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The only Tarkovsky's leavint are Nostalghia and The Sacrifice, right?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Does crit have The Mirror?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Does crit have The Mirror?

CC or the collection?

CC has it for streaming right now. The Criterion Collection does not have it on disc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

CC or the collection?

CC has it for streaming right now. The Criterion Collection does not have it on disc.

Roger that. Yeah, I meant disc.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Thought this article was worth sharing here: How the Criterion Collection Crops Out African-American Directors

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Yeah, I saw that this morning since someone posted that in the Criterion FB group. A lot of butt hurt white people in that group.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Reddit has been acting the same way but c'mon, this reflects incredibly poorly on Criterion and if they want to act like they're the canon of film they need to work on shaping it to include diverse voices. I believe they're working on that now but wew, is that a revealing article.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, I saw that this morning since someone posted that in the Criterion FB group. A lot of butt hurt white people in that group.

Like, what is there for white people to be defensive about. They've made a mistake, they admit to it, and they say they're going to do better.

Oh no, we'll get more good films like Do the Right Thing and A Dry White Season. Oh no.

It's good to have the conversation. It's good to think about. I don't think about the race of the people who direct my films, but if you're running a video company, you should make sure you have more representation.

Anyone complaining about the article needs to grow up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sorry To Bother You, Beale Street, Moonlight, Malcolm X, Fruitvale Station, Shame, 12 Years A Slave plz

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sorry To Bother You, Beale Street, Moonlight, Malcolm X, Fruitvale Station, Shame, 12 Years A Slave plz

Me, cultured: The Watermelon Woman

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Most of these already have excellent releases. They should be using their brand to promote lesser-known but culturally significant films by POC, not just recent critical darlings.

What was most shocking in that piece was that Becker had never seen To Sleep With Anger until recently. :wtfdude:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Most of these already have excellent releases.

They should be grabbing them right off the bat BEFORE they get excellent releases by someone else.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

No Steve McQueen collection can be complete without Widows, the Heat of our time. It would be nice if Criterion had Bullitt too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cacator posted:

No Steve McQueen collection can be complete without Widows, the Heat of our time. It would be nice if Criterion had Bullitt too.

I was really excited for Widows but it just didn't land for me. Pacing felt like it was originally a miniseries.

But that tracking shot :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6NXtzAyjds

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

It would be nice if Criterion had Bullitt too.
They had it last month.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For what it's worth, Peter Becker isn't exactly the cineaste a lot of Criterion's regular producers. Which is fine, his job is to keep the company going.

While it's obviously an oversight, it is kind of silly to blame Criterion for not getting films from studios that have never been keen on licensing out titles. A lot of the films mentioned are with Disney or Lionsgate, which means it's unlikely. At the same time, there's a ton of great titles from Kino Lorber, Vinegar Syndrome, and Milestone that are probably getting overlooked because they don't use spine numbers.

Criterion was previously criticized for not having much from women directors, which they've made up for considerably. Just this year, nine films directed/co-directed by women, plus the Varda box. I think they'll make good, but it's silly to focus on stuff that already have decent editions while there's plenty of overlooked films that need releases. The Criterion Channel has been focusing on a lot of great films lately (many of which aren't titles Criterion can get), but I'd love to see them do Just Another Girl on the I.R.T.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I think Criterion could use a lot bigger comedy representation in their library. And for me, when it comes to iconic African America cinema specifically, a large number of those titles that pop in my head are comedy films. They on the app recently had highlighted some films including Hollywood Shuffle which is a film I love. But I digress...and I do agree.No need to re-release already stellar films. They should highlight lesser known films or films that haven't seen an adequate release in the past.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is one of my all-time favorite films.

Great rec, thank you all.

Frustratingly, they still haven’t posted the Sep channel lineup, but I saw it reported elsewhere that it includes Satantango. Never seen any Tarr, but if this is true, might have to hunt down a few of his other films also.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I watched Tampopo. Movie good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah they just posted the September lineup https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1300467182262980609

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
oh my loving god LENNY

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In my quest to watch every Kurosawa I had to buy a vhs copy of Rhapsody in August (and find the cables for my vcr). Wonder why it's not in the cc catalog

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Streetwise is my favorite doc and the restoration is a game-changer so please check it out!

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
It’s been streaming on Prime, but Zama is an absolute gem from a year or two ago. About a losery 18th century Argentinian diplomat hanging around a small town waiting for a promotion. Very stylish, many surreal touches, quite wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ingmar terdman posted:

In my quest to watch every Kurosawa I had to buy a vhs copy of Rhapsody in August (and find the cables for my vcr). Wonder why it's not in the cc catalog

It tends to be one of his more controversial movies due to Kurosawa's efforts to minimize Japan's role in WWII.