Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheCityOfJeff/status/1300093774153089024?s=20

I'd watch/listen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've been listening to old episodes of Radio Free Skaro, and I got to the episode where they talked about In the Forest of the Night. In the podcast, I realized that Capaldi's first season had precious few malicious villains outside of the Master and the Cybermen. Going through the season:

Deep Breath - the clockwork robots are afraid to die
Into the Dalek - Rusty turns out to fight against the Daleks
Robot of Sherwood - the Sheriff of Nottingham is corrupted by robots
Listen - there was nothing under the bed
Time Heist - the Doctor was the architect
The Caretaker - the robot was malfunctioning
Kill the Moon - the moon spiders were mindless antibodies
Mummy on the Orient Express - just a dead soldier wanting to rest
Flatline - the Boneless MIGHT be malicious
In the Forest of the Night - trees!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Boneless are absolutely malicious, gently caress those guys. The Doctor banishing them rates highly among my favorite Capaldi moments, as of course does his 60 seconds solution to The Mummy.

God those two episodes were fantastic.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Doctor was the malicious element in Capaldi's first season. Just absolute garbage. Thank God he got better before the end of his run

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jerusalem posted:

The Boneless are absolutely malicious, gently caress those guys. The Doctor banishing them rates highly among my favorite Capaldi moments, as of course does his 60 seconds solution to The Mummy.

God those two episodes were fantastic.

Flatline may be my favorite episode of Modern Who. It's so well crafted, it's funny as hell (The Doctor getting mad at Clara for calling herself The Doctor is just great stuff) and the Boneless are genuinely frightening villains, who I agree were absolute fuckers with no good intent.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Pretending like you're trying to do Hartnell again while seemingly only taking "he was a bit of a dick to school teachers for a bit" from it explains so much of Twice Upon a Time now that I think about it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
While the Boneless are malicious, I think they stand apart from other 'malicious' villains by being distinctly sort of small-focused. It's hard to say that for certain give we only got one (very good) story and they don't talk, but I really got the feeling that their aims weren't especially high. They're like the interdimensional equivalent of a kid torturing insects in his backyard; it's more malice out of disregard for others than malice with any real intent.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Flatline was great, Mummy was decent, and it's a sign of the rollercoaster quality level of DW that they were sandwiched between two of the absolute worst stories of the modern run, and maybe even of the entire show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love all the Tiny TARDIS bits in Flatline so much.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Cleretic posted:

While the Boneless are malicious, I think they stand apart from other 'malicious' villains by being distinctly sort of small-focused. It's hard to say that for certain give we only got one (very good) story and they don't talk, but I really got the feeling that their aims weren't especially high. They're like the interdimensional equivalent of a kid torturing insects in his backyard; it's more malice out of disregard for others than malice with any real intent.

That's a valid read, but It's hard to say what exactly the Boneless's motives and ultimate aims were. They're almost completely non-communicative and all we really have is the Doctor's speculations about them, plus the fact they carried on being dickbags even after the Doctor managed to get a message across to them. They must be one of the most completely alien villains that've ever been in the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love all the Tiny TARDIS bits in Flatline so much.

:allears:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Voting Floater posted:

That's a valid read, but It's hard to say what exactly the Boneless's motives and ultimate aims were. They're almost completely non-communicative and all we really have is the Doctor's speculations about them, plus the fact they carried on being dickbags even after the Doctor managed to get a message across to them. They must be one of the most completely alien villains that've ever been in the show.

Yeah, it rules. I love when DW goes balls to the wall like that. The sentient universe in that one Jodie episode is also great.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

When he sticks his hand out to point Clara in the right direction, I about cried laughing the first time I watched it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I sort of wish we'd gotten to see Matt Smith or Patrick Troughton demonstrate how you can turn into a cartoon using only your fingers in a shrunken TARDIS episode.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, I finished Series 12. And honestly, I didn't hate the Timeless Child reveal as much as I thought I would. I don't like that apparently a bunch of the Pre-Hartnell incarnations were wetworks operatives for a hastily renamed Celestial Intervention Agency....but I feel like the episode still made it pretty clear that the Doctor as we know them still made the conscious decision to go out into the universe to be a meddler.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think The Celestial Intervention Agency is a Chibnall invention, FWIW. I'm pretty sure it's been a "season 6B" thing for a long time, and I think they show up in a lot of the Gallifrey audios.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yes, the CIA was a years old invention, but they’re not mentioned in Timeless Children, it’s another gallifreyan agency who seem to basically be the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't it first named in the Deadly Assassin?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, the CIA was a years old invention, but they’re not mentioned in Timeless Children, it’s another gallifreyan agency who seem to basically be the same.

Ah, gotcha. I still haven't seen the last episode of the new season, haha. My plan was to do a complete rewatch of New Who so that I'd be closer to next season's release so I'd have something to look forward to. Having a second kid, there being so many good video games to play, and Lovecraft Country has helped slow me down.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

jivjov posted:

Well, I finished Series 12. And honestly, I didn't hate the Timeless Child reveal as much as I thought I would. I don't like that apparently a bunch of the Pre-Hartnell incarnations were wetworks operatives for a hastily renamed Celestial Intervention Agency....but I feel like the episode still made it pretty clear that the Doctor as we know them still made the conscious decision to go out into the universe to be a meddler.

It seems unlikely that they were unquestioning robots, and likely that they kept getting mind-wiped when they acted up. Certainly, most incarnations of the Doctor are capable of breathtaking ruthlessness, and it's so interesting to have the Ruth Doctor during Jodie's era, as her Doctor seems to have rejected that (and often to our frustration).

And I do think that shifting the implied background of the Doctor from "got into the Time Lord caste out of an orphanage in the poor part of Gallifrey" to "the Ur-oppressed minority exploited by the Gallifreyan colonial power" shifts the character neatly out of a Victorian-era narrative that doesn't exactly challenge the British Empire (think rags-to-riches) into a more modern postcolonial narrative.

Or to be less Lit Crit about it, the Doctor-as-orphan narrative fits into all those stories about white boys who grow up to discover they are sons of royalty (the orphan girl narrative usually involves marrying royalty), so the idea that rewriting the Doctor's past somehow strips away the character's subversiveness seems strange to me. I do grant there's a lot of cringe possible along this path, though. As long as the show doesn't take things too far and get caught up in its own metaphor, there's a chance to comment far more boldly than Chibnall's first season suggested he is capable of.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish the TARDIS had stayed that size for all of Twelve's run.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Changing decades-long canon is like breaking up a tag team in pro wrestling - you can't just do it because you want to. You need to be thinking way down the line, with plans in place that explore what it means that the world you know is different. The Timeless Children ended without articulating the magnitude of the revelation, and then had the Doctor thrown in Shada as a cliffhanger. If you found out your life was a lie, wouldn't you be more contemplative?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There was a touch of that in her last staredown with the Master, and the whole "You think you've hurt me, but all you've done is make me realize just how much more there is to me than I thought there was", but yeah...i'm hoping either the holiday special or an episode next season actually gets into the ramifications of the reveal

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I loved that Capaldi had to really stoop to get out of the TARDIS like that, but Jenna Coleman is so teeny that she was still basically able to step out of it normally.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

Changing decades-long canon is like breaking up a tag team in pro wrestling - you can't just do it because you want to. You need to be thinking way down the line, with plans in place that explore what it means that the world you know is different. The Timeless Children ended without articulating the magnitude of the revelation, and then had the Doctor thrown in Shada as a cliffhanger. If you found out your life was a lie, wouldn't you be more contemplative?

I mean it’s not like Doctor Who has ever been hesitant to make sweeping and sometimes contradictory changes to its own canon and continuity before.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean it’s not like Doctor Who has ever been hesitant to make sweeping and sometimes contradictory changes to its own canon and continuity before.

I realize that, but at LEAST have the Doctor relay to the audience her feelings!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I take no issue with "breaking canon" or "establishing sweeping new canon" in the name of narrative good or to make room for progressive casting. I take some issues with the way the Timeless Child, as an arc, given what I have read about it, changes the character, for narrative reasons.

I like CIA Ruth Doctor, though, and I hope we see more of her. I also kind of hope either Chibnall or a future showrunner uses the "there are a million Doctors we haven't seen thing," which is the part of the change I like, to cast great actors who otherwise wouldn't have time to give us a really good one-off performance of the character, often working off the existing long-term actor. It basically opens up some fantasy casting, and if you think of all the people who have done single performances on the show (Sir Ian, Dame Diana, David Suchet, etc.) as having an opportunity to be the Doctor, there's a lot of leeway. It would work better if there weren't only 10 episodes a season, because, like, you don't want it to happen 10 percent of the time, but, hey, if wishes were horses...

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Edward Mass posted:

I agree with you, but I'm looking at the last 20+ years of WWE's booking of the tag team division and I'm very sad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I sort of wish we'd gotten to see Matt Smith ..... demonstrate how you can turn into a cartoon

:allears:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Upon rewatch, I thought I might dislike the Fez jokes, but nope. Still love a fez.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that when he introduced it, Moffat was told he needed to write a way for it to be destroyed almost immediately because otherwise Matt Smith would insist on always wearing it :laugh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Narsham posted:

And I do think that shifting the implied background of the Doctor from "got into the Time Lord caste out of an orphanage in the poor part of Gallifrey" to "the Ur-oppressed minority exploited by the Gallifreyan colonial power" shifts the character neatly out of a Victorian-era narrative that doesn't exactly challenge the British Empire (think rags-to-riches) into a more modern postcolonial narrative.

Or to be less Lit Crit about it, the Doctor-as-orphan narrative fits into all those stories about white boys who grow up to discover they are sons of royalty (the orphan girl narrative usually involves marrying royalty), so the idea that rewriting the Doctor's past somehow strips away the character's subversiveness seems strange to me. I do grant there's a lot of cringe possible along this path, though. As long as the show doesn't take things too far and get caught up in its own metaphor, there's a chance to comment far more boldly than Chibnall's first season suggested he is capable of.

I'd never thought about it from this angle, and I actually like it, although it all banks on that actually being the direction they take, which... isn't necessarily true.

The thing that I think largely bothers people about this is that it takes the Doctor, who's what I generally call a 'Nobody Special' hero (essentially just a total rando doing the right thing), and turning them into a 'Somebody Special' hero (someone predestined to be taking on this role; your chosen ones, royal family either known or secret, pre-established ranks and roles but that can get a little muddy). You could argue that the Doctor is one of the greatest 'Nobody Special' heroes, with 50+ years of stories across all manner of settings that all essentially stem from the Doctor being the one to put their hand up and say 'hang on, can I jump in here'. Even things like technically being an in-crisis President or whatnot don't really change that, because it all stems from events that we've seen develop.

The Timeless Child reveal... technically doesn't change that by itself (as it stands they still look to be Nobody Special, just from a different place than we thought), but it could be used to change that, to recontextualize the entire show as 'this happened because the Doctor is Special'. I think the general hope is that it doesn't change anything, but for some that ship has already sailed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah the fez rules and there needs to be more fez. Jodie could rock a fez.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CommonShore posted:

Yeah the fez rules and there needs to be more fez. Jodie could rock a fez.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1300825744105377792?s=20

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I'd never thought about it from this angle, and I actually like it, although it all banks on that actually being the direction they take, which... isn't necessarily true.

The thing that I think largely bothers people about this is that it takes the Doctor, who's what I generally call a 'Nobody Special' hero (essentially just a total rando doing the right thing), and turning them into a 'Somebody Special' hero (someone predestined to be taking on this role; your chosen ones, royal family either known or secret, pre-established ranks and roles but that can get a little muddy). You could argue that the Doctor is one of the greatest 'Nobody Special' heroes, with 50+ years of stories across all manner of settings that all essentially stem from the Doctor being the one to put their hand up and say 'hang on, can I jump in here'. Even things like technically being an in-crisis President or whatnot don't really change that, because it all stems from events that we've seen develop.

The Timeless Child reveal... technically doesn't change that by itself (as it stands they still look to be Nobody Special, just from a different place than we thought), but it could be used to change that, to recontextualize the entire show as 'this happened because the Doctor is Special'. I think the general hope is that it doesn't change anything, but for some that ship has already sailed.

Well, Seven was a "Somebody Special" hero for a while; Eight (at least on TV) doubled-down by being "half-human." New series Doctor was even worse on account of being "last of the Time Lords," which is what gave us the horrible and entitled stuff in Ten and Eleven's runs. As painful as Twelve's "am I the villain this series" year was, it at least set up for Clara's "I can be a Doctor" repudiation of the increasingly-cringeworthy ending to Donna's story, where Davies tells us that an ordinary woman could be like the Doctor, but then we have to kill her, so taking that away without her consent is the right, if tragic, move. I'm unsure Jenna Coleman can play "Nobody Special" so Clara's ending doesn't quite correct Donna's, but between Clara and Bill, Moffat did a decent job of correcting for Donna. And Chibnall does seem to be registering the "Doctor makes her ordinary companions extraordinary" throughline.

The Doctor-as-Aristo/Doctor-as-Prole tension has been around for the whole show. One and Three come across as entitled and comfortable in aristocratic settings; Two and Four are subversive; that strand gets a bit lost after that, I think, at least until the new series' deliberate "fits in anywhere, belongs nowhere" reimagining.

And yeah, this new direction could lead to a lot of poo poo stories, and with Chibnall as runner it's reasonable to be nervous about what's next. But Doctor Who has plenty of poo poo stories. I'd rather see the show take a wild chance and not pull it off than see it playing everything safe and failing anyway. Give me ten "Kill the Moon"s before I have to suffer another "Death to the Daleks." This change, if it's not reversed, opens up a ton of new stories because it makes the previously off-limits past of the Time Lords a thing that is now in play.

The show's history with Time Lord-centric stories is not especially glowing, but being able to do a lot more past Doctor adventures on-screen is intriguing, and it opens up a space for the Doctor to have always been what she is.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Upon further review, 13 should follow 7's lead and be a Hat Doctor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

This sounds interesting. Sacha Dhawan, Nicola Walker, and Paterson Joesph ... and it's free?!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1301422666952445953?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ha, in the Time Lord Victorious comics, Ten has a Dalek companion.