Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

are you playing the gba remake or later? iirc loading a quicksave resets the encounter tracker, so you could take a few steps, quicksave, quickload, rinse and repeat. if it's the original, saving and loading should also reset the encounter rate. but it's gradual.
No dice. No matter what I do one step in any direction is death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you're quicksaving and continuing from that, not loading your hard save, right? i could've sworn you're supposed to be able to do this kind of thing to buy broken endgame magic in the beginning of the game

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How do you quick save?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think quick saving in the GBA ports/remakes started with FF4, before then I think FF1/2 GBA just let you save anywhere. He might be thinking of the PS1 remakes which did let you quicksave I think since they kept the restrictive hard save system of the originals (Tent/Cottage or inns only I think)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mustached Demon plays ff12 while baby naps:

Finally crawled my way up the mega lighthouse dungeon and beat up the jerkbags who followed my group up. My totally not Rosa I swear combo of white mage/archer got a whole lot tougher with holy and white robe.

Games nice enough to tell you that assaulting the last location is definitely the point of no return. So I've got a few things I wanna do first. Namely, seek revenge on the great crystal for laughing me out of part 2. Did manage to bag a staff at least. Probably figure out the Necrohol puzzle too.

But first, I need levels. I saw the undead keep spawning endlessly in an area near Necrohol. That a good place or would checking out trial mode be more fun? Low 50s for everyone.

Commentary on the game: kind of enjoy how some of the major dungeons open up more as you play. Oh and how the rebel airship was named Garland.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You'd maybe run into trouble at the higher floors in trial mode, my party was around level 60 (except Ashe who was mid 70s and Basch who was level 12) but I had also done all the hunts/grinded for the Tournesol and still had trouble with some of the later trials (especially the final one)

but then there's a video I saw of someone doing every trial at level 1 so maybe I'm just bad

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Trial Mode doesn't give EXP, only LP.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm a couple quests from Stormblood so here are the current Scions of the Seventh Dawn power rankings

1 - Y'shtola/Tataru/Me (-)
2 - Krile (NEW)
3 - Urianger (6)
4 - Alisaie (NEW) & Alphinaud (-)
5 - Thancred (2) (i don't like your new facial hair/eye patch/VA forgive me)
6 - Yda & Papalymo (5)
7 - Yugiri (3) (where have you been)
20 - the crew of nobodies (but I enjoy the Yda & Hoary Boulder squat rivalry)

impressive movements from Urianger and Alphinaud has been good in Heavensward

e: i forgot minfilia but she's always been good too

I'm very late on this (see Krile below) but I have just completed the last quest of Stormblood and these are the current Scions of the Seventh Dawn power rankings - it's difficult because some of my favourites didn't get much screentime but I didn't want to lower them. I was going to put Gosetsu in as an honorary scion but I had no idea where he would go

I don't know how popular any of the characters actually are because it seems impossible to google this game without being spoiled on stuff and I don't want to look at the XIV thread for the same reason

1 - Y'shtola/Tataru/Me (-) - Tataru has become an extremely powerful scion/Y'shtola wasn't around much in Stormblood but she came back in the patch quests and was great in the Xaela tribe part - I like these sections where it gives you control of a scion. WoL is killing it as always
2 - Alisaie & Alphinaud (4) - They're both great I don't even remember why I disliked Alphinaud in ARR
3 - Krile (2) - Krile was barely around and completely killed my momentum because I tried to do Eureka and then stopped playing for four months!! She's still good though I don't really understand why Krile wasn't also targeted by the spooky voice that's been knocking out all the scions
4 - Lyse (6) - I thought Yda/Papalymo were kind of nothing characters so the Lyse stuff in Stormblood was nice
5 - Yugiri (7)/Urianger (3) - Urianger got so good in Heavensward then in Stormblood showed up I think once in Ala Mhigo to give me an item and then a second time near the end to immediately fall unconscious - please leave The Waking Sands more often friend
6 - Thancred (5) - he's good but the other scions are better - thancred has some work to do in shadowbringers
10 - the crew of nobodies (I respect Aenor and I guess the Arenvald guy they were trying to make into a thing for a while there was ok)

Everyone says Shadowbringers is extremely good so I am excited (it took me 9 months and 500+ hours to get here)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I pulled the trigger on CC, I kinda dig what it’s got going on so far. I profess to being let down that it has a really small trophy list though, lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

1 - Y'shtola/Tataru/Me (-) - Tataru has become an extremely powerful scion

If you haven't done the Four Lords storyline (starts with An Auspicious Encounter in Ruby Sea) you should

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I finished those quests a couple of days ago - they were great. I liked the Soroban fight where she was just running around getting hit by everything

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I just got done with the first dungeon in Shadowbringers and it has already set a mood, pace, and stakes better then every previous MSQ. Even if it's cut from the same mold where the final quarter falls flat and is barely propped up by the patches (every indication is the opposite finally happens for once) it's on trajectory to be best.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shadowbringers is IMO one of the best final fantasy games.

It is unfortunately at the end of like 400 hours of not the best final fantasy games. Ff14 up to that point is good, but not shadowbringers. People forget this when they recommend the game

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

2 - Alisaie & Alphinaud (4) - They're both great I don't even remember why I disliked Alphinaud in ARR
a lot of people hate alphinaud in arr because he seems like a smug, arrogant git who is convinced that he's right about everything which is extra infuriating because the game makes him right about everything

then heavensward opens with alphinaud loving Up Big Time and he spends the entire plotline of the expansion undergoing intensive character development and becoming a character that people like so much that once they've sunk 400+ post-git hours into the subsequent expansions they don't even remember that ARR-alphinaud existed

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Heavensward is better than most of the other Final Fantasies too. And I'd say Stormblood is middle tier.

Really only ARR hasn't aged well.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Hoary Boulder and Coultenet deserve more love. Heck, most of the B-team are great.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Shtola is too good, which is why they fridge her constantly cause she is my cool awesome ane-san.

I love the little easter egg they put in if you talk to Y'mithra after finishing 5.3

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 31, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

man nurse posted:

I pulled the trigger on CC, I kinda dig what it’s got going on so far. I profess to being let down that it has a really small trophy list though, lol

Yeah, I was too. I know it's kinda silly but I really enjoy a well-done trophy list that gives you a little nod for doing challenging / unusual stuff. There are tons of times I've tried stuff out that I would have missed otherwise just because I saw a trophy related to it. Remasters seem to get lazy lists pretty often though - RE4 is the same way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Draga posted:

Hoary Boulder and Coultenet deserve more love. Heck, most of the B-team are great.

Hoary Boulder is the Hero to Children Everywhere and he should be added to the main cast.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Or as I said in the Switch thread, it seems like Square looked at the Collection of Mana and saw that it sold beyond expectation and decided to triple down on what was the least valuable part of it. My concern is that this isn't going to sell particularly well and Square will use that to claim there isn't a market for retro re-releases.

It's the 30 year anniversary of the SaGa series and as the mobile game's activity has shown, SaGa is still really drat popular (at least in Japan).

Alec Eiffel posted:

Remember that Square game "Bouncer"

drat

What a poo poo game

At least it was a short game. WoFF is bad and far, far longer.

cock hero flux posted:

a lot of people hate alphinaud in arr because he seems like a smug, arrogant git who is convinced that he's right about everything which is extra infuriating because the game makes him right about everything

then heavensward opens with alphinaud loving Up Big Time and he spends the entire plotline of the expansion undergoing intensive character development and becoming a character that people like so much that once they've sunk 400+ post-git hours into the subsequent expansions they don't even remember that ARR-alphinaud existed

Alphinaud's gently caress-ups start in ARR and shows that the smug kid who thinks he's always right was getting played by people/potatoes smarter than him. Also that his sister's much smarter and cooler than he is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hoary Boulder kept crotch thrusting at me

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Hoary Boulder kept crotch thrusting at me

It was a challenge, thrust back.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Alxprit posted:

Trial Mode doesn't give EXP, only LP.

Oh thank you friend. Saved me some trouble.

Skeletons will die by the thousands then.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like Y'shtola goes down a few levels in Shadowbringers by being kind of a weird sex pest but thankfully there's someone else who steps in!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you haven't done the Four Lords storyline (starts with An Auspicious Encounter in Ruby Sea) you should

Oh my gosh, a talking turtle!

I'm just finishing off Stormblood/Shadowbringers transition patches now. Personally my opinions on the FF14 stuff so far:
ARR -- The story's okay, but definitely aged the worst. A lot of "hurry up already" even when not trying to push through to the better expansions.
ARR transition patches -- "hurry up already" personified. Don't know how much the recent cleanup helped because I finished them about a week before that landed. Remove the busywork quests and I think the whole thing with the Crystal Braves through to the Heavensward intro is great though.
Heavensward -- Wonderful. Different characters get their moments, your main ones get some growth, Estinien responding to every plan by sidling into the frame with "that would work but have you considered... killing dragons?" never gets old. My overall favorite so far.
HW transition patches -- These were great. Wrap up the HW story and lead into Stormblood with solid momentum throughout. Some great moments.
Stormblood -- I feel it suffers from the split story/attention between the two shores, but I'm not sure what I'd change. Definitely felt more invested in the Gyr Albana story, which I think is why I hate the split so much because it's the start and end of the story with Doma taking up all the middle.
SB transition patches -- Here I think the split helped, because they put everything on one shore into the same patch. If they had you jumping between Doma and Ala Migho the whole time (4.4 has been doing this with "go talk to Lyse, now go see if Hien is okay with that") it would've been a headache. The end of both 4.1 and 4.3 were great.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 1, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

seiferguy posted:

I feel like Y'shtola goes down a few levels in Shadowbringers by being kind of a weird sex pest but thankfully there's someone else who steps in!

What

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I feel like I'm missing something. Was it her saying she was gonna put the WoD over her knee for being cheeky?

E: The butt smack for urianger?

E2: Being married to me? I resent that remark

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 1, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am watching a FFXI first-time stream and this is too hilarious, thank you early 2000s

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am watching a FFXI first-time stream and this is too hilarious, thank you early 2000s
I've been playing XI in my spare time recently and as someone who only knows it by reputation, it is interesting. To be honest, it is nearly inscrutable, but I'm getting it. You really have to put your nose to the grindstone to get what you want in XI, and I appreciate it for that. Unlocking DRK for instance, you have to find its trainer (with only a vague lead), kill 100 things with a crappy sword (which you have to track yourself), then find the trainer again in a different place (with an even more vague lead). I used a wiki of course, but I am very curious as how players went about this before easily accessible guides.

I don't think XIV needs to adopt more of XI's arcane systems, but it's fun to see where XIV came from.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For the proper effect imagine there's plenty of information but it's in a language you don't speak, online translation technology is sketchy, the official guides have bad typos and misinformation, the server is full of people on the other side of the language barrier who have monopolized all the economy and efficiency, and a lot of play is just cargo-culting the bits people can figure out and hoping that it works.

Does the direction you're facing affect the odds of a successful craft? I still don't know; someone must've said that as a joke and it got picked up because translation lost the context, right?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm here to level up and wear subligars and I'm all out of leveling spots with trains who won't invite me.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I tried playing XI for the first time two years ago and it was awful

I did not feel like fighting the insanely frustrating UI where loving everything important is hidden under layers upon layers of menus

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

seiferguy posted:

Seriously what is this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dr Pepper posted:

Seriously what is this.

Leal posted:

Yeah I feel like I'm missing something. Was it her saying she was gonna put the WoD over her knee for being cheeky?

E: The butt smack for urianger?

Basically both of these things, it's a weird type of horny I'm not down with.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I get that people have all kinds of different upbringings and experiences, but I admit that full-blown sex pest accusations on Y'shtola goes a little past what even I can really keep up with.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Y'shtola is no sex pest, she is my wife, and if I played pvp I would say to meet me on the field of honorable combat, sir

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

okay so you realize that the ”butt smack” is just her doing the stock back-pat animation on a character that happens to be much taller than her, right

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 2, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Urianger is a thirsty, isolationist nerd who hasn’t ever touched a girl so if anything she’s loving with her friend she’s known for 20+ years. More likely they just used a stock animation, like how they did for 99.999% of cutscenes in the game.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

jokes posted:

Urianger is a thirsty, isolationist nerd who hasn’t ever touched a girl so if anything she’s loving with her friend she’s known for 20+ years. More likely they just used a stock animation, like how they did for 99.999% of cutscenes in the game.

Urianger’s absolutely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

seiferguy posted:

Basically both of these things, it's a weird type of horny I'm not down with.

Please don't use the phrase sexpest, meant to describe serial sexual harassers and molesters, when describing a playful smack on the rear from a woman to her friend, colleague and basically adopted brother for 20 years. Like seriously it's a word that has some serious connotations and you do no one any good using it to describe entirely mild human contact in a loving video game.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 2, 2020