Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

RATJACULATION used RATTRAY!

It's not very effective...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobby Deluxe posted:

see this is why i do not want to learn to drive because theres all these rules and i am pretty sure i would unwillingly break all of the unknown ones and end up murdered for something like waiting too long at a roundabout or something

Hmm driving can be nerve-wracking I suppose, when you do not feel confident. What you have to realise, like fridge-corn said, is basically no one follows the rules as they are set down in the highway code, because no one (except for driving instructors mebbie) knows wtf they are.

Basically, I remember reading ( and it is true i think) that all your driving instructor will teach you is how to pass the test. He/she will not teach you actual driving or the rules of the road or anything like that. You will learn that when you start actually driving.

Like Hemale says, if you have passed 'the test' and still feel nervous, put a couple of those green P plates on your car.

I always gave those ppl extra space n time. Like everbody was new at something once, right?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/xo4FI25.mp4

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's generally good to do defensive driving ie assume everyone else is a total loving idiot and will do the stupidest loving thing at the worst loving time and plan to react accordingly

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

In New Jersey the driving test is around a closed course

I failed the first time

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Oodles posted:

Just wait till you find Cockbridge

If you like biking, check out Comrie Croft just outside Crieff, lots of downhill mountain biking trails, and a really fine cafe. If you're looking for stuff to do in Aviemore, there's many nice walks in the hills. PM me if you want info on more stuff to do, I go to Aviemore many times a year.

bike touring so no trail riding i'm afraid

e: im like 99% sure i go through crieff at some point though

http://perthshiregravel.com/drovers-trail/

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 31, 2020

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

Middle lane hoggers are mega-worst. Nice empty motorway and you have to do this double lane change, overtake, given them an angry look and confirm that it is an old tosser, then double lane change back to where you were.

Utterly annoying, especially if you're like me and you're trying to post whilst driving

Wrong, anyone on the M6 is the worst. Stop loving crashing into each other you cockmongers.

On the plus side I just got a fancy car with self driving poo poo so all I do is put it in 'some oval office crashed again' mode and it just follows the car in front at 5mph for 3 loving hours while I shitpost.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

bike touring so no trail riding i'm afraid

e: im like 99% sure i go through crieff at some point though

http://perthshiregravel.com/drovers-trail/

If you’re biking, you need to go up and over “the Lecht” via the Cockbridge / Tomintoul road, stunning views but 800ft of climb and 1000ft of descent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Butterfly Valley posted:

After you've driven enough in other countries you'll never piss and moan about British roads again (ok you will but in a 'slagging off your own family is ok but gently caress anyone else who does' kind of way), we have the second safest roads in the world iirc

I've only ever driven in the states (didn't ever learn back home), but can't decide what to do when I finally visit home again next year - do my usual 3-4 hour coach trip to Cardiff from London where I can rest at least (as I won't sleep for poo poo) or get some actual rest overnight then drive back. I'm genuinely not sure how I'd take to British cars/roads after going through the learning to driving thing here in Florida which is genuinely the bare minimum before throwing you behind the wheel (I did 5x 100m lessons over the course of a week, then a 15 minute test that didn't leave the carpark) and just dealing with a road system full of people driving like chaos. And yeah zero experience of manual gearboxes ha, although it being so flat here I can't imagine driving anything other than an automatic forever really.

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've only ever driven in the states (didn't ever learn back home), but can't decide what to do when I finally visit home again next year - do my usual 3-4 hour coach trip to Cardiff from London where I can rest at least (as I won't sleep for poo poo) or get some actual rest overnight then drive back. I'm genuinely not sure how I'd take to British cars/roads after going through the learning to driving thing here in Florida which is genuinely the bare minimum before throwing you behind the wheel (I did 5x 100m lessons over the course of a week, then a 15 minute test that didn't leave the carpark) and just dealing with a road system full of people driving like chaos. And yeah zero experience of manual gearboxes ha, although it being so flat here I can't imagine driving anything other than an automatic forever really.

I think if you can survive a florida freeway, you should be ok to drive in the UK ok. Not really sure where you would be with licenses n stuff legally though. Automatic transmissions are becoming way more common in the uk/northern europe than they were 5 or 10 or even 15 yrs ago so that should be fine.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I know that you can take automatic only tests in the UK that then restrict you to driving automatics but I imagine we bent over and let American licenses be valid here to drive whatever regardless of the fact American driving tests are a loving joke.

If I didn't know how to drive a manual I wouldn't just hop in one and try to wing it anyway, aside from being a danger to yourself and other road users you'll just have a miserable stressed out trip, although if your alternative is a piss stained megabus then I see your dilemma.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Next car I buy is going to be an automatic

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Natalie Fartman, did your New Jersey license allow you to drive in the UK? What if you told 'them' you would have to get a mega-bus from London to Cardiff otherwise? because really gently caress spending like 4 hours in each direction on a stinky bus :S

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

Next car I buy is going to be an automatic

Not really sure what the next car I will buy will be, but it is going to be really loving fast.

Otherwise wat is the point?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Probably an electric car then.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Like I've just done a long journey in a manual ice car because i needed it's towbar and loving lol no thanks it's like having to stop at the inn and change your horses every night and also taking several days and getting murdered by bandits whilst your at it. loving no thanks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i would learn to drive in an automatic

i have never been able to handle gears, even in video james

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Probably an electric car then.

loving hell m8, no. plsd no.

At the end of the day I am a bit of a petrol-head. I know electric cars perform quite well, 100% torque from like 0 rpm n all that.

At the same time tho I cannot imagine life without going to a classical/historic race n smelling burned Castrol R. Or gently caress it just a poorly adjusted internal combustion engine where the lambda sensor has not woken up yet, or an internal combustion engine on carbs or smthng that is running rich by design.

unburned fuel smells nice, op.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it would be a rental and I presume I’d just act like a regular tourist with an American license, I just happen to have a confusing accent and drive on the wrong side of the road.

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobby Deluxe posted:

hmm, i think most people genuinly belive that they cannot do x,y or z. right up until they're forced to do it and they realise 'wow, this is actually pretty simple, isn't it?

EDIT: pro-tip; do NOT drive on the wrong side of the road. I mean it is mostly motorway between those two cities, If you left heathrow you would struggle to get onto the wrong side of the road, the arm-co barrier/central reservation would not let you ddo this.

Cyril Sneeer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 1, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i tried learning to drive a few years ago and i could not get the hang of the gears, it was too much to do at once

its hard to explain but when i get overloaded my perception kind of shuts down. that is a huge problem driving a car. steering i can do, aiming the car i can do, speed, fine, rules of the road and starting and stopping i am absolutely fine at. the instructor even said i was a natural at reversing

but add a clutch on top of that and its too much to juggle at once. i have to focus on the point of contact and the movements needed to do the clutch to the point that i have no focus left for the road

whether this is an autism thing, a stress thing or a me thing i do not know, i just know i cannot do gears and would like an automatic please

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobby Deluxe posted:

its hard to explain but when i get overloaded my perception kind of shuts down.
whether this is an autism thing, a stress thing or a me thing i do not know, i just know i cannot do gears and would like an automatic please

mh, yes, I know that feeling. I would not say I was a natural driver, an Ayrton Senna or Michal Schumacher or someone like that. I know how to row the gearbox, I know how to work teh clutch etc tho

Where my brain fundamentally falls apart/breaks down is talking to ppl I do not know. I find that really quite stressful. even talking to people I do know is sometimes to loving stressful to cope with.

I think you can meybe/possibly/probably get through life without drivng, but you/I cannot get through life without relating to/talking to other people.

Like humans are hard-wired to want to interact wiht one another. To be social animals. The fact that I cannot do this is loving stressful/painful

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Clutch control and gears were a massive struggle for me during lessons, then it kind of 'sticks' - becomes a muscle memory and you just do it without thinking.

Then you drive a different car, with a different stick layout or a different biting point and you spend 2 weeks stalling or trying to shift into reverse at 65mph.

Though I had an automatic in NZ and it was great, I'll probably get another there when/if I make it back, they're mostly old Japanese exports there so automatics are everywhere and cheap, whereas here not so much

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

autos are great, like a big expensive go-kart. the first few times I drove one and slowed up approaching red lights I'd find my foot reaching for the extra pedal and panicking that it wasnt there.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Cyril Sneeer posted:

Natalie Fartman, did your New Jersey license allow you to drive in the UK? What if you told 'them' you would have to get a mega-bus from London to Cardiff otherwise? because really gently caress spending like 4 hours in each direction on a stinky bus :S

It did not, it expired with my visa. I've been intending to learn here (I too, only know automatic, yikes) but ... Rona

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I cant stand most automatic but I wouldn't mind a car with a dct

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why would you want a car with a dick cutting tool?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I want a car with paddle shifters so I can pretend I'm playing forza on my boring drive to work.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I cant understand how someone could play like rdr2 or whatever fiddling with all those different sticks and everything but find it difficult to change gear in real life? I'm completely the opposite.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah I can't do manual gear changes in video games, I prefer ones where the game is fine with you doing handbrake turns around bends at 120mph while flames shoot out the back of your car. We need a new Burnout.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Generally you don't take the racing line and corner at 175mph on your commute to work*, which I think is why changing gears irl is easier than in games

*if you do, let me know where so I can stab you

**if you both live and work at a racing circuit then I guess this is fine

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

pm sent

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I cant understand how someone could play like rdr2 or whatever fiddling with all those different sticks and everything but find it difficult to change gear in real life? I'm completely the opposite.

RDR2 is graphically better, so it's clearly what you're doing

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

mrpwase posted:

Generally you don't take the racing line and corner at 175mph on your commute to work*, which I think is why changing gears irl is easier than in games

*if you do, let me know where so I can stab you

**if you both live and work at a racing circuit then I guess this is fine

It's also muscle memory and that real cars let you know when you're in the wrong gear much more effectively than video game ones do.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

2/3's of the way through 2020 team

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

did you buy them all drinks before?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

pubs have started getting out the 'book now for christmas' signs, so you can pre arrange your festive coughing death

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Now that the weather is cooling down idk what's gonna happen to the pubs. Normally December is a huge boost for the industry but without office parties, tourism, people visiting family etc who knows.

Who am I kidding it will be full steam ahead. Anyone else notice that daily cases are approaching the lockdown levels but we don't really hear much. When was the last briefing?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My biggest driving hate were the people who didn't know that you're supposed to use motorway slip roads to accelerate up to the speed of the existing traffic and would instead move out onto the motorway at 40-50mph, expecting people already on there to brake/ make space for them.

I've not had a car for 3 years and it's honestly just one less thing to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

el dingo posted:

Anyone else notice that daily cases are approaching the lockdown levels but we don't really hear much. When was the last briefing?

Nobody's sure why exactly but the daily death rate has collapsed in the last couple of months and has remained in the single digits, even as cases rise again.

In my own mind, a rapidly spreading disease that's killing 1000 people a day is well worth altering your routine to avoid catching it; one that's killing 5-6 people a day is a lot more :shrug:

I guess a lot of people are feeling like that now?