Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Got a new stem

Sorry for not taking all that extra poo poo off but I was trying to get in the most possible elevation before dark and probably shouldn't have even stopped to take pictures. Wound up with 5289.

Fun fact, that zipp -17 stem was hitting my dustcap before fully seating, so I put a thin spacer under there, and it was still hitting the edge of the spacer so I had to grind it down to clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
:swoon:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

How do they design a stem that doesn't clear a spacer under it???

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah pretty ridiculous. At first I assumed it was because the dust cover on my headset has a little ridge around it. Put it on with no spacer, noticed a rubbing (because it was bending the cover) and then looked closer and saw it wasn't fully seated down.

I could track down a thinner one (this is 2.5mm) but with it on there the stem is just enough above the steerer for the top cap to tighten down so I guess it's fine not having it completely slammed.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 27, 2020

MustacheNet
Dec 26, 2011

jamal posted:

Yeah pretty ridiculous. At first I assumed it was because the dust cover on my headset has a little ridge around it. Put it on with no spacer, noticed a rubbing (because it was bending the cover) and then looked closer and saw it wasn't fully seated down.

I could track down a thinner one (this is 2.5mm) but with it on there the stem is just enough above the steerer for the top cap to tighten down so I guess it's fine not having it completely slammed.

Since you have Di2, try this and get rid of the rubber band:
https://k-edge.com/shop/computer-mounts/mounts-accessories/di2-junction-box-mount/

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

jamal posted:

Got a new stem

Sorry for not taking all that extra poo poo off but I was trying to get in the most possible elevation before dark and probably shouldn't have even stopped to take pictures. Wound up with 5289.

Fun fact, that zipp -17 stem was hitting my dustcap before fully seating, so I put a thin spacer under there, and it was still hitting the edge of the spacer so I had to grind it down to clear.

I approve of your bike. sisl cranksets are the poo poo. I would run one on every bike if it wasn't for the shitshow of current BB standards.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Time to singlehandedly and enthusiastically drag down this thread's average bike value with my borrowed* department store do-not-use-offroad-mountain-bike while I save up for something better. I didn't originally take this photo for the thread so I think I broke every possible rule [edit: except lights!], including the unwritten one about kickstands. But I'm just enjoying riding again. Gotta get (re)started sometime!

*That's why there are two bike computer devices. It's not entirely a shitpost.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

uvar posted:

Time to singlehandedly and enthusiastically drag down this thread's average bike value with my borrowed* department store do-not-use-offroad-mountain-bike while I save up for something better. I didn't originally take this photo for the thread so I think I broke every possible rule [edit: except lights!], including the unwritten one about kickstands. But I'm just enjoying riding again. Gotta get (re)started sometime!

*That's why there are two bike computer devices. It's not entirely a shitpost.

Excellent bike. It meets the most important requirement of being the one you are riding, but it's also good that you're aware of the potential safety limitations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Got his about a week ago. Pretty stoked so far.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mauser posted:

"slightly"

just gonna throw this up here too, since this is the thread:

One of my tomatoes is getting ripe finally!

nice bike fellow Masi friend

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Already going a lil nuts with the copper accent look for the midnight special. Put the Brooks saddle on today and I love how it looks (and it’s way more comfortable for me than the stock saddle). I went a little overboard and designed a hawk logo for my bike that I commissioned to be made into a copper head badge. I love it so much.

mareep fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 29, 2020

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
that’s top notch

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bud Manstrong posted:

that’s top notch

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Fully sick. Give us a proper pic tho.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I think your bike looks really sharp and I'd like a full driveside photo please.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

FORTHCOMING. I got too excited to ride it and didn’t take one. I also bought new pedals for it but I’m too newb to know exactly how to put them on but I really want to. Then I will be done with upgrades*

*hahahaha

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

redcheval posted:

Already going a lil nuts with the copper accent look for the midnight special. Put the Brooks saddle on today and I love how it looks (and it’s way more comfortable for me than the stock saddle). I went a little overboard and designed a hawk logo for my bike that I commissioned to be made into a copper head badge. I love it so much.

I like what you're doing here, and I think you should ditch those silly vestigial fenders and instead get hammered copper fenders.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

bicievino posted:

get hammered copper fenders.
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

redcheval posted:

FORTHCOMING. I got too excited to ride it and didn’t take one. I also bought new pedals for it but I’m too newb to know exactly how to put them on but I really want to. Then I will be done with upgrades*

*hahahaha

Your bike is super rad, yo.

Regarding changing pedals: When you're taking pedals off you're always turning your wrench towards the back of the bike, and when you're screwing new ones on rotate towards the front of the bike. This is true for both sides of the bike. Make sure to grease the threads a bit. They should feel like they're screwing in really easily until they bottom out, at which point you don't need to torque them a whole bunch, just make sure they're snug. If you encounter significant resistance before you bottom out, you're probably going in at an angle and cross-threading. Stop wrenching, back them out, and start again so you don't strip out your cranks.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

bicievino posted:

get hammered copper fenders.

What are grams

But that would look sweet.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Thanks y’all, I love this bike. I did juuust take those fenders off yesterday, the bike shop put them on for whatever reason. I would LOVE copper fenders aesthetically but can only seem to find them in a 700c. Another thing to add to my stacked bike wishlist anyway

Also thank you for the pedals tip! The new pedals aren’t anything super fancy but I like the look of them a lot more than the simple shop ones on now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Depending on the 700C fender width, you might get enough coverage and strut clearance to go over 650x48. The radial size will be about right. I did this for a while on my Macho Man with Mud Butler 45s.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Quite rainy but a lot of fun.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

hnnnnng

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kimbo305 posted:

Depending on the 700C fender width, you might get enough coverage and strut clearance to go over 650x48. The radial size will be about right. I did this for a while on my Macho Man with Mud Butler 45s.

You can also re-radius fenders pretty easily if they’re metal: https://velo-orange.com/pages/re-radiusing-fenders

I successfully re-did some 700c mud butlers to 26” recently using a tennis ball and a fair bit of patience!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Snagged this thing 2 months ago after not riding for 20 years. Lots of fun. Finally got grips in and they're comfy so this is how it'll sit for a while.

Until the BB gives out its already creaking :v:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

jet sanchEz posted:

Sold both of these recently. The De Rosa was a pretty good fit but I just wasn't riding it enough. The Land Shark was always a bit too small, I just bought it because it's a cool bike.

f

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Yarr

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Rode outside for the first time in like a week (poor air quality, poor motivation). Didn't die.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

loaded up for TNGA this weekend

https://bikepacking.com/routes/trans-north-georgia-tnga/

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Nice. What are you doing for sleeping?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sleep system is all in the seat pack there:

Klymit V insulated sleep pad
Borah 7x9 tarp
Borah big bivy
Polycryo ground sheet
Sea to summit pillow
Sea to summit fleece liner
And an emergency bivy for extra warmth if needed

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That ride is crazy. North Georgia hills are no joke, and road builders here apparently never learned the concept of switchback.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Old faithful: 2005 CAAD8, new to me since 2010.

Now that the Rockhopper conversion is 95% done, I think it's time to strip this down and give it a full once-over. New cables at the very least. Maybe new groupset now that I've fallen in love with DoubleTap.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

amenenema posted:

Now that the Rockhopper conversion is 95% done, I think it's time to strip this down and give it a full once-over. New cables at the very least. Maybe new groupset now that I've fallen in love with DoubleTap.

Can I ask what you're doing with the rockhopper? I got a '98 that's a little small for me that I was using as a commuter for a couple years with slick tires, but now I'm not sure what to do with it. Sorry if you posted upthread about it already

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Mauser posted:

Can I ask what you're doing with the rockhopper? I got a '98 that's a little small for me that I was using as a commuter for a couple years with slick tires, but now I'm not sure what to do with it. Sorry if you posted upthread about it already

Quick answer: he converted it to a fat tire drop bar bike and it rules.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933902&userid=33555

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

amenenema posted:

Why downgrade from Ergopower?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

BeastPussy posted:

Quick answer: he converted it to a fat tire drop bar bike and it rules.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933902&userid=33555

Thanks. I remember seeing that, but I forgot it was a rockhopper because it looks a bit later than mine with the more modern frame. I think I would have the same issue with the sizing and have to raise the seat up quite a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mauser posted:

I have a Giant Yukon that was also borderline too small for me and I have converted to rigid fork and slick tires. I even changed the wheels to 650b (27.5”). If you were considering doing a drop bar conversion (do it) I believe road bikes tend to have a longer stem then mountain bikes so that would help with reach. And it’s not uncommon to see cross country mountain bikes with their seat post raised like sky jackers. I think due to the sloping top tube. With bike prices the way they are right now if you got an old mountain bike around then you can easily change it to an all road / gravel bike and keep riding.

They even have dropbars as that accept mountain bike controls as I have them on my crazy front wheel drive bike and then they make drop bar shifters that will shift Shimano 2x10 mountain bike group sets.

edit: These bars and a longer stem might have you back on that bike.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 3, 2020