Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
On the downside, the Pens relied heavily on JMFJ under Martin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

(I'd never seen the clip of Torts going after the drunk Caps fan with the stick. Gord Miller rules. Related to that, did NYR fans like the "New York Attitude" he carried his whole time there?)

Oh for sure- it was fun seeing him shake things up in a market that defaults to tradition. Especially going after guys like Larry Brooks who is an institution in NY sports journalism but can also be a giant ego-maniac. He took over a team that lost its older leadership group with Jagr and Shanahan and it was nice having a guy willing to stand up and fight for a roster in transition. He also had a lot of success with the Rangers.

That being said, his schtick got old pretty quick and his hotheadedness led to some incredibly bizarre roster management, especially when the roster and his style of play became incongruent.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WeaponX posted:

Oh for sure- it was fun seeing him shake things up in a market that defaults to tradition. Especially going after guys like Larry Brooks who is an institution in NY sports journalism but can also be a giant ego-maniac. He took over a team that lost its older leadership group with Jagr and Shanahan and it was nice having a guy willing to stand up and fight for a roster in transition. He also had a lot of success with the Rangers.

That being said, his schtick got old pretty quick and his hotheadedness led to some incredibly bizarre roster management, especially when the roster and his style of play became incongruent.

He was a dick to Zuccarello so gently caress him forever.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Chad Sexington posted:

I want Boudreau back to oversee the Ovi/Backstrom farewell tour over the next few years.

No you can't have him, I want the Flames to get him.

But in typical Flames fashion they'll probably keep Ward... or hire Reirden, apparently they were interested in him 2017/18.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

No you can't have him, I want the Flames to get him.

But in typical Flames fashion they'll probably keep Ward... or hire Reirden, apparently they were interested in him 2017/18.

It really seems like Ward is staying no?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/longleysunsport/status/1300491145521360897

At worst the Jays get a lefty for the pen!

https://twitter.com/thehazelmae/status/1300492558968254470

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Just because this is the thread for teams not playing hockey right now doesn't mean it's the thread for every team not playing hockey right now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

WHOOPS

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

To be fair, the Blue Jays probably have a better shot at winning the Stanley Cup than the Leafs do :v:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Do the Diamondbacks have any defenseman available for the Kings?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It really seems like Ward is staying no?

Treliving should be making that decision in the next week or two according to Friedman.

My guess would be yes, as I think he's signed next year so they'll probably remove the interim tag and see how he does in a full year as they played pretty well under him after the racist shitbag left town.

Personally, I think he was outcoached by Bowness in the playoffs, and putting in a goalie who hadn't played in 4-5 months while tied in game 6 was pretty ridiculous... but :shrug:

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

He was a dick to Zuccarello so gently caress him forever.

Torts definitely hosed with certain guys heads/played favorites with lovely grinders but acab (all coaches are bastards) so it's not unique to Torts. The 2012 rangers that got to the conference finals were my favorite rangers team in recent memory to watch which likely speaks to my lovely taste of preferred style of hockey to watch but in general, I think Torts rules and was a huge apologist for him. I would have given him another season in NY before firing him

Also Torts was the only coach man enough to play stu "stu bickel" bickel consistently

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Torts took a team with a defense featuring Stu Bickel, Jeff Woywitka, Steve Eminger, and John Scott to the conference finals.

To be fair, that defense also had Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Michael Del Zotto, Michael Sauer, Brendan Bell, and Tim Erixon...

Plus McDonagh and Stralman, so he did have some serviceable players.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
goddamn I forgot John Scott was briefly a Ranger

like I literally have no memory of this

I mean I remember Emminger and Woywitka but not Scott

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Misanthrope posted:

Treliving should be making that decision in the next week or two according to Friedman.

My guess would be yes, as I think he's signed next year so they'll probably remove the interim tag and see how he does in a full year as they played pretty well under him after the racist shitbag left town.

Personally, I think he was outcoached by Bowness in the playoffs, and putting in a goalie who hadn't played in 4-5 months while tied in game 6 was pretty ridiculous... but :shrug:

Yep, I'd want Gallant, Boudreau, or Laviolette. Probably in that order too.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Having All Star Captain and MVP Jon Scott on your team doesn't sound like any kind of handicap at all

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

AsInHowe posted:

welcome Boston

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
gently caress Boston :unsmith:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
We are free, for another season

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

This Bruins team is NASTY, but it's time for Chara to retire but hopefully stay with the organization.

And shoot Ritchie into the sun.

Go VGK

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
that hurt.

i know it's irrational fan stuff, but i'm going to have a hard time forgiving rask, even though halak acquitted himself well. the lightning are more talented and it showed.

i just wanted chara to win one more with us before he retired. but that chance was last year and we blew it; so it goes.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Tim Whatley posted:

And shoot Ritchie into the sun.

I do appreciate Ritchie staying on brand when finally leaving Anahiem by joining Boston.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Petey posted:

that hurt.

i know it's irrational fan stuff, but i'm going to have a hard time forgiving rask, even though halak acquitted himself well.

i just wanted chara to win one more with us before he retired. but that chance was last year and we blew it; so it goes.

Halak was honestly good enough to get past this series, that's the frustrating part. It was everyone else not stepping up.

I don't know what to think about Rask. Could have done without the press conference basically saying he didn't give a gently caress one day before he made his decision. Whatever, we all have our moments at work. I hope he's back next year.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh good the Bruins finally lost, now I can peacefully watch hockey again.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Petey posted:

that hurt.

i know it's irrational fan stuff, but i'm going to have a hard time forgiving rask, even though halak acquitted himself well. the lightning are more talented and it showed.

You should have a hard time forgiving Rask for wearing a Boston Police hat, not this.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Well, that isn't working like it should. gently caress that link and gently caress Boston.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

There are 17 NHL teams which were part of the restart that failed to make it past August. The Bruins are one of those loser teams.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Petey posted:

that hurt.

If you want to get angry at Rask, get angry at him for putting up some stinkers back in 2010 when boston squandered a 3-0 series lead to the flyers. They were up 3-0 in game 7 as well.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

eXXon posted:

Oh good the Bruins finally lost, now I can peacefully watch hockey again.

Same. I finally got the courage to post here after the loving bruins ended the Canes run.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Chiarelli is the George Costanza of GMs and he looks the part

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/marcjames/status/1300633667275042816

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Sports fans are the worst.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Yikes

E: not surprisingly, his twitter is an absolute disaster

antiga fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 1, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Petey posted:

that hurt.

Your reaction is more rational than probably 90% of Boston Twitter right now.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Thank christ we don’t have to hear about the “Perfection Line” in these playoffs anymore

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'd be inclined to think that's an ironic, honeypot-esque tweet if it were any other team.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

This is the beginning of Boston's descent into mediocrity.

Bergeron getting old and going to be bad soon.
Marchand old and bad.
Rask shunned and shipped out.
Chara stays on for another 5 years for leadership and making everyone else miserable.
Pasternak trade request.

bruins bad forever

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Sports talk radio is universally garbage. Meat heads jabbering on just to stir poo poo and fill up their time slot.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The Bruins dropping Rask because of a small contingent of mad fans would be extremely 2020. This year must suck for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Call Your Grandma posted:

This is the beginning of Boston's descent into mediocrity.

Bergeron getting old and going to be bad soon.
Marchand old and bad.
Rask shunned and shipped out.
Chara stays on for another 5 years for leadership and making everyone else miserable.
Pasternak trade request.

bruins bad forever

Don’t stop I’m almost there...