Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

As someone who played vtmb I don't get scummy vibes from Byers' post. Everything he said about the sarcophagus is true, and I think there is a decent chance it just ends up killing a bunch of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Byers post reads like: "If you want to move a game out of joke phaize, you do it like this; what i am doing now."

Sprinkled a little shade on on amni for good measure and oh yeah, control the narrative around the sarcophagus.

I don't really like it. ##vote byers

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Amnistar posted:

They are people that feel the need to pist, but come across as uncomfortable/self conscious. Sal's read was weak, hence no vote yet. Gumball I feel better about. Posting that they are glad they didn't miss the joke phase is empty and meaningless. They arent participating in the joke phase, just posting that they are glad they didn't miss it.

I caught someone last game with a similiar empty post "oh man thats a lot of posts." Who was in fact scum.

So let me make it more clear where my problem is. It's the two cases back to back; the case on Sal is bad as it's based on posting from pre-PMs and an ACAB joke, and the case on Gumball is an empty case. Can it make sense? Sure, but it's defensible regardless of Gumball's alignment. Sabbat, Cam, Anarch, or Mortal, the alignment doesn't matter. It's like Rarity's gut case on me, it's based on your history in other games and a weak connection to the current target's posting. It's mega-meta.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

soscannonballs posted:

As someone who played vtmb I don't get scummy vibes from Byers' post. Everything he said about the sarcophagus is true, and I think there is a decent chance it just ends up killing a bunch of people.

Why are you ignoring that I specifically said my read had nothing to do with his mechanics theory?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't know if it's scummy but it is bold to claim that the big mechanical mcguffin is absolutely bad and no one should want it.

Mechanics chat is generally something that all alignments engage in. Also, its not like people can really *not* look for things, they have to submit a location every day, and isuspect there are roles that interact with the daytime search mechanic.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

So let me make it more clear where my problem is. It's the two cases back to back; the case on Sal is bad as it's based on posting from pre-PMs and an ACAB joke, and the case on Gumball is an empty case. Can it make sense? Sure, but it's defensible regardless of Gumball's alignment. Sabbat, Cam, Anarch, or Mortal, the alignment doesn't matter. It's like Rarity's gut case on me, it's based on your history in other games and a weak connection to the current target's posting. It's mega-meta.

My reads aren't based on meta, they are based on the perception of self consciousness in posting day 1.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

That's exactly what a scum would say :thunkher:

That's true. It's also what town would say.

Dick Bastardly posted:

Byers post reads like: "If you want to move a game out of joke phaize, you do it like this; what i am doing now."

Sprinkled a little shade on on amni for good measure and oh yeah, control the narrative around the sarcophagus.

If by control you mean "bring up the game," sure. My point about the sarcophagus is simple: in the game, it's the main McGuffin and in the end is a honey trap that kills. CPig made a flavor-heavy game where it is the main McGuffin. I think it might be a honey trap that kills. I don't want to be near it, and have publicly laid out my plans to avoid it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Amnistar posted:

Mechanics chat is generally something that all alignments engage in. Also, its not like people can really *not* look for things, they have to submit a location every day, and isuspect there are roles that interact with the daytime search mechanic.

The way I read the rules you can choose not to look and just stay home. So yeah, it's kind of a bold claim to declare that it has to be bad and encourage people to not look for it.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Amnistar posted:

My reads aren't based on meta, they are based on the perception of self consciousness in posting day 1.
They're based on your meta, you said it yourself:

Amnistar posted:

I caught someone last game with a similiar empty post "oh man thats a lot of posts." Who was in fact scum.
The meta is that scum are more likely than town to post that way in your experience, and includes an anecdote. That's an easy case to force and then defend irregardless of Gumball's flip.

It's the same type of meta Rarity used, gut read based on personal meta, in this case the shooter's fallacy:

Rarity posted:

You know what? Since my grand return to mafia my D1 gut reads have been on point so I'm gonna call it. Byers is scum.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

The way I read the rules you can choose not to look and just stay home. So yeah, it's kind of a bold claim to declare that it has to be bad and encourage people to not look for it.

I don't want everyone to gather in a location and then get blown up.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

"Each DAY you must let me know which location you'd like to be at that nigh"

Searching is not optional.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

Why are you ignoring that I specifically said my read had nothing to do with his mechanics theory?

I disagree with your read.

Dick Bastardly posted:

I think this vote is scummy - trying to get a bandwagon going by jumping on another player's very early read but offering no new insight. You just repeated points already made by other people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

That's true. It's also what town would say.

Your whole vibe is just way too serious right now

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Rarity posted:

Your whole vibe is just way too serious right now

:shrug:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Byers2142 posted:

I don't want everyone to gather in a location and then get blown up.

Because you think they'll get blown up even though we've been told you'll get a power for finding it.

Amnistar posted:

"Each DAY you must let me know which location you'd like to be at that nigh"

Searching is not optional.

"If you haven't chosen a location by the end of the day execution post you'll stay home and won't have a chance at either item."

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
##vote rarity

:pensive:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Byers2142 posted:

Maybe I missed a post or maybe I lack contextual info based on knowledge of flavor, but how are these alignments known already? The only alignment I know exists by name is "Mortal"

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Rarity posted:

I also caught the entire scum team on D1 of 40k mafia!

Let’s save everyone some time and just have Rarity list the full scum team in this game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dick Bastardly posted:

Maybe I missed a post or maybe I lack contextual info based on knowledge of flavor, but how are these alignments known already? The only alignment I know exists by name is "Mortal"

I guess this:

CapitalistPig posted:

An ancient artifact known as the Ankaran Sarcophagus is at the center of recent tensions between the vampire sects, The Camarilla, The Sabbat, and The Anarchs. There's also the poor sad Mortals, manipulated and used in the clandestine wars of the other three.

Does that make this a 3 scum team game? :psyduck:

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
"Oh man, that's a lot of posts." Tobbs sweats profusely, dabbing his neck with an already-moist handkerchief.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Dick Bastardly posted:

lol at Byers getting heat for trying to move the game beyond dumb jokes. HOW RUDE.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Byers2142 posted:

Real question, how can you be 90% confident in a meta call in joke phase?

Watching you watch Steak play mafia is going to be loving wonderful :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

Does that make this a 3 scum team game? :psyduck:

No wait, what about scum cult and SK? :unsmigghh:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

tpink posted:

lol at Byers getting heat for trying to move the game beyond dumb jokes. HOW RUDE.

That's the cover I think. Yeah moving the game out of joke phaize isn't scummy and might even look like effort posting but it comes off as too sure about mechanics and flavor and it pings me a bit

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Dick Bastardly posted:

I see that "reading the OP" is still a skill mafia players lack...

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Byers2142 posted:

I skipped right to the location and item stuff, but I see what you were referring to now. Do you think all the vamps are on the same team or do we have multiple scum teams in your opinion?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

"Oh man, that's a lot of posts." Tobbs sweats profusely, dabbing his neck with an already-moist handkerchief.

Gonna lol if this is Tobbs pulling the same scummy intro post SNG pulled in my last game

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Amnistar posted:

This post pings me. Sal made it easy to vote steak before the game started, new joke makes me think sal is self conscious about their appearences. Please note this for later.

Your post pings me Amnistar.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Byers2142 posted:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Because you think they'll get blown up even though we've been told you'll get a power for finding it.

:thunk:

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

Gonna lol if this is Tobbs pulling the same scummy intro post SNG pulled in my last game

Amnistar posted:

:thejoke:

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

"If you haven't chosen a location by the end of the day execution post you'll stay home and won't have a chance at either item."

...bad cpig. That is now how the word must works!

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I am seeing a lot of PERFORMATIVE POSTING today

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Dick Bastardly posted:

That's the cover I think. Yeah moving the game out of joke phaize isn't scummy and might even look like effort posting but it comes off as too sure about mechanics and flavor and it pings me a bit

Here's what I believe about the mechanics; this is based on my role PM, the OP, and my knowledge of the source material:

There are four alignments, as detailed in the OP. At least two are scum, maybe three.

There are two main items, the Key and the Coffin. Combining them does something; in the source game, it was believed it would grant power but it was a trap. Given how flavor heavy this game is, I suspect it's a trap here as well, and will avoid it to ensure I don't fall victim to it.

I don't understand how any of those are massive leaps in judgement, and the Coffin trap is worth calling out in case it can save lives.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

CPig runs bastard games, fyi

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Byers2142 posted:

Here's what I believe about the mechanics; this is based on my role PM, the OP, and my knowledge of the source material:

There are four alignments, as detailed in the OP. At least two are scum, maybe three.

There are two main items, the Key and the Coffin. Combining them does something; in the source game, it was believed it would grant power but it was a trap. Given how flavor heavy this game is, I suspect it's a trap here as well, and will avoid it to ensure I don't fall victim to it.

I don't understand how any of those are massive leaps in judgement, and the Coffin trap is worth calling out in case it can save lives.

yeah but otoh what if you hadn't revealed it and scum had blown themselves up with it?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

CPig is lying. Or rather, it's misleading. "You get the ability to immediately explode, killing yourself and everyone at your location" is in line with CPig's humor, the source material, and is funny as hell.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Mr. Humalong posted:

yeah but otoh what if you hadn't revealed it and scum had blown themselves up with it?

I thought it was more of a threat to let everyone go for it willy-nilly with no knowledge of the source material and how it might be expressed in this game. Especially since one of the four alignments may have a character that would know about the whole blow up thing.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Amnistar posted:

...bad cpig. That is now how the word must works!

I think your phone hated you there...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Turns out it is I who is owned :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Dick Bastardly posted:

I will say that I find it very very strange that the game setup explicitly frames finding the sarcophagus as a good thing and a goal to work toward, but that this is apparently 100% contradicted by game lore that more than one person knows already.