Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I would swear a 133 was slow then. I also always thought it was funny how speed increased usually by double but in thirds of 100 for the remainder.

133, 333, 766, 1.33 iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also holy poo poo some of the highest end gaming rigs today are just approaching 3 grand so I cannot imagine paying that much for those when the internet was pretty new and computer gaming over console gaming was just becoming a real thing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This dial up modems were $130 and not even 56K...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dialhforhero posted:

Also holy poo poo some of the highest end gaming rigs today are just approaching 3 grand so I cannot imagine paying that much for those when the internet was pretty new and computer gaming over console gaming was just becoming a real thing.

Uh, PC gaming was a Thing already in the late 80s, thankyouverymuch :corsair:

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I bought my first PC in 1997, it was a AMD K-6 233mhz MMX. I bought it with an insurance check I got from being rear-ended (because I was, and am, an idiot) and it cost like $1500. I think it was an IBM prebuilt that I put a Voodoo 3 in later on. Pretty great at the time though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
At the time it was a bit of a meme that if you bought a computer it was out of date by the time you got home and that wasnt that far off. Imagine paying that much in 1990s money too.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Uh, PC gaming was a Thing already in the late 80s, thankyouverymuch :corsair:
Yeah but did you have :mario: smooth scrolling :mario:???

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pretty good posted:

Yeah but did you have :mario: smooth scrolling :mario:???

Since 1990, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj4HJkeQSg0

(First actually finished and released game with smooth scrolling was Commander Keen in December 1990)

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

This dial up modems were $130 and not even 56K...

I'm actually kind of impressed that in 1996 Best Buy already had not one, not two, but three HTML authoring programs on sale in their weekly circular. The web was still moderately niche then; I'm trying to remember if AOL even offered WWW access at that point.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I played Kings Quest and Techno Bowl on my IBM home computer in the 80s but I didn’t start really playing till about 1993-4 with The Lost Vikings and X-wing. Later I got Dark Forces.

I bought Wing Commander III in 1995 and even though I still played Sega and bought an N64 later, I was a computer gamer from then on.

Jedi Knight :swoon:

I also played the poo poo out of Aces of the Pacific and Flight Simulator.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Sep 1, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

RagnarokAngel posted:

At the time it was a bit of a meme that if you bought a computer it was out of date by the time you got home and that wasnt that far off. Imagine paying that much in 1990s money too.

As immortalized by "All About The Pentiums". Which has aged remarkably well, all things considered. (Except that posting "Me too!" has a very different connotation now, but how could he have known that.)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The thing was to buy Pentium 75 instead of 486/DX4, pray that you didn't get the miscast one, and then a couple of years later to upgrade to the first Pentium2 (and then to the first 3 or the revised Celeron which overcloked to near-gigahertz with a reasonable air cooling). This cost like motherfucker but was probably the cheapest way of not getting electronic garbage delivered to you as a home computer.

And yes, there was a PC gaming culture in the early 90's or so, but unless you really liked PC Speaker and games that looked great on EGA, you went Amiga.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
And then pentium 4's lasted for... i don't know, but a really long time for technology, because no one knew how to write software for multicore processors properly for like a decade.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I still mentally classify dual-core P4 as "usable if necessary".

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
The 90s was all about weird shoe gimmicks. Forgot all about these and the commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKkN6cIvcxM

Sort of related but where did the obsession with teal/turquoise clothes start in the 90s? Looking at photo albums from the early mid 90s almost every family member had something teal on sometimes. Teal and pink were everywhere

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

My best guess is a ramping down of the wild neon of the 80s.
Apparently you can't quit loud colors cold turkey.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
THere were definitely a lot of teal cars back in the 90s.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Der Kyhe posted:

And yes, there was a PC gaming culture in the early 90's or so, but unless you really liked PC Speaker and games that looked great on EGA, you went Amiga.

The Adlib came out in 1987, and the first Sound Blaster came out in 1989.

VGA was introduced in 1987 as well, but admittedly took a couple of years for widespread adoption so let's say 1990.

The early 90s had Commander Keen, the Monkey Island Games and various other LucasArts and Sierra etc. games, the 4D Sports series, The 7th Guest, Alone in the Dark, the Wing Commander games, the Ultima games, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Duke Nukem, Alien Carnage, Realms of Chaos, One Must Fall 2097, Syndicate, Mech Warrior and so many more, a long list of classic games.

Most of the better Amiga games got PC ports, and once Doom and especially Quake hit, it was all over.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Fors Yard posted:

The 90s was all about weird shoe gimmicks. Forgot all about these and the commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKkN6cIvcxM

Sort of related but where did the obsession with teal/turquoise clothes start in the 90s? Looking at photo albums from the early mid 90s almost every family member had something teal on sometimes. Teal and pink were everywhere

It started in the late 80s

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
R/C car chat reminded me of the :krad: one I got for Christmas aged 10 or 11 (so about 1996/1997). I couldn't remember its name, but it was a sort of three-wheeled off-road dragster, which you steered by altering the power on the rear wheels and you slotted the battery into a sliding carrier on the back, which you could then slide back and forth so it was either nose- (for speed) or tail-heavy (so it would do massive wheelies on cue).

Turns out it was a Tyco DAGGER, part of the MAXIMUM HEAT range with the 6.0V JET TURBO power system. And when you had the battery in the rearmost setting you entered the EXTREME WHEELIE ZONE.

So '90s!

I also found the TV ad for it, which I don't ever remember seeing but it is so, so, '90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdQKv_HN_Xs

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

It was so widely available on GM products I just call it Chevy Teal and everyone knows what I am talking about.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

I’m hoping that the next Civic Si comes in some kind of teal color. Honda did an insane nuclear green and a tennis ball yellow, so why the hell not a vaporwave teal or magenta?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I’m hoping that the next Civic Si comes in some kind of teal color. Honda did an insane nuclear green and a tennis ball yellow, so why the hell not a vaporwave teal or magenta?

What's a good color for the trim? GM did black and teal, but most of that black was plastic and rubber. A subdued white, maybe? Might go well with the red SI badging.

This is more of an early 2000's thing but it started in the 90's: remember when you could get that white>purplish-blue color changing paint on the entire GM catalog of cars? A $1500 paint option was understandable on a Caddy, but a Saturn SL? Fiat had a white>greenish-blue (with matching multi-chromatic windshield) that went on everything from the Alfa 166 to the Panda, at the same time.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

This is more of an early 2000's thing but it started in the 90's: remember when you could get that white>purplish-blue color changing paint on the entire GM catalog of cars? A $1500 paint option was understandable on a Caddy, but a Saturn SL?

For some reason i can only picture that paint being on a Chevy Beretta for some reason (i think someone down the street had one like that?) but google has no examples. It does have this gem though:

I could never figure out what the Beretta was supposed to be. What niche it was supposed to fill. It just looked like a cavalier with a different rear end.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I don’t remember GM offering those color-fade paints, but I definitely remember Ford offering one that went from pinky salmon to teal depending on your angle and the light. I saw it on a few Mustangs and several Thunderbirds.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

madeintaipei posted:

This is more of an early 2000's thing but it started in the 90's: remember when you could get that white>purplish-blue color changing paint on the entire GM catalog of cars?

It was just blue and purple. My dad had a 1996 Caprice with that paint. We called it blurple.

Ford’s Mystichrome was way better: forest green to purple.

https://youtu.be/D98t-Vyirj0

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

For some reason i can only picture that paint being on a Chevy Beretta for some reason (i think someone down the street had one like that?) but google has no examples. It does have this gem though:

I could never figure out what the Beretta was supposed to be. What niche it was supposed to fill. It just looked like a cavalier with a different rear end.

Midsize “sporty” car is all I can think of, it’s definitely bigger than a Cavalier but smaller than an Impala for sure.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

The only people i remember driving Berettas were skeevy dickheads, cokeheads, and skeevy dickhead cokeheads.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

As far as I could ever tell, the Beretta looked like a rebadged two-door Lumina. I've never been unable to see it. It had to have been built on the same platform, at the very least.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Meaty Ore posted:

As far as I could ever tell, the Beretta looked like a rebadged two-door Lumina. I've never been unable to see it. It had to have been built on the same platform, at the very least.

It was a two-door Corsica.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I had the College Football 97 and NFL 95 Sega games. The NFL game had a glitch that if you gave the ball to Charlie Garner, nobody could catch him.

It also had taunts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4iEHh7z104

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

It seemed about as pointless as the Accord Coupe.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

wallaka posted:

It was just blue and purple. My dad had a 1996 Caprice with that paint. We called it blurple.

Ford’s Mystichrome was way better: forest green to purple.

https://youtu.be/D98t-Vyirj0

Alfa's Azurro Nuvola was the most common kind you'd see in Europe. Looked like a normal pearl paintjob on steroids.

Nissan also offered the Primera in this fetching dung beetle green/purple/orange. It was a useful safety feature because it was the only way anyone would ever notice a Primera.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

VGA was introduced in 1987 as well, but admittedly took a couple of years for widespread adoption so let's say 1990.

The early 90s had Commander Keen, the Monkey Island Games and various other LucasArts and Sierra etc. games, the 4D Sports series, The 7th Guest, Alone in the Dark, the Wing Commander games, the Ultima games, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Duke Nukem, Alien Carnage, Realms of Chaos, One Must Fall 2097, Syndicate, Mech Warrior and so many more, a long list of classic games.

Most of the better Amiga games got PC ports, and once Doom and especially Quake hit, it was all over.

Quake hit in 1996, and yeah, all those PCs listed in that circular would play it, if at low res. I was playing it on a 75 mhz Pentium Overdrive/24mb ram setup, it was ugly but deathmatchable. Everyone "knew a guy" with a Voodoo card and played GLQuake, but never had one of their own. I personally never played it hw-accelerated until I bought a secondhand GeForce DDR many years later.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I had a Dell 666mHz :twisted: with a SoundBlaster 64, 19” monitor, and an Nvidia Geforce 256. With something like 32mb of RAM I think.

I felt like a loving king all the way through high school as we got a Cable Modem in 98/99.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KozmoNaut posted:

Civilization 1 and 2.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

rndmnmbr posted:

Everyone "knew a guy" with a Voodoo card and played GLQuake, but never had one of their own.

I was that guy :smuggo:

In 1998 :negative:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

In ‘99 I got an HP Pavilion 600MHz Pentium III with 128mb memory for art school (computer animation), but when I bought Half Life in 2000, the drat thing would freeze up and crash during the opening scene when you’re on the rail car to Black Mesa. Every single time. I couldn’t figure out what it was, messed around with the video card and DirectX and all that poo poo, but I ended up uninstalling it. I had no problem with other games, just that one.

I finally beat Half Life a few months ago. In tyool 2020. On Ubuntu. Because my 7yo daughter was all into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

I'm the tucked in t-shirt