Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Salute of the Jugger loving whips rear end

It's got a cult following which turned it into a real sport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r2ZVE_cX7o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Give me Scott Adkins fighting dudes in prison all day please. Just finished Avengement and what a ride.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Salute of the Jugger loving rules, in the US you will see it under the title THE BLOOD OF HEROES. Flick absolutely rocks either way. loving awesome cast too, Rutger Hauer, Joan Chen, Vincent D'Onofrio, Delroy Lindo, and THE TOECUTTER/IMMORTAN JOE HIMSELF Hugh Keays-Byrne plays the treacherous LORD VILE who they run into later in the film. The world building in it is so good and everyone in it looks badass as hell.

Richard Norton is even in the movie itself albeit briefly as one of the league players at the very end.

I love how much he hams it up as the big bad in Gymkata. He also has a small role in Robert Patrick's film debut, the absolute must-watch, Future Hunters. This movie has no genre. Like they go to Hong Kong so Robert Patrick can hang out with his friend Bruce Li. Then also there's an Indiana Jones style world quest for a holy relic, brief time travel in the beginning, oh my god Future Hunters absolutely fuckin' rules please watch it ASAP.

Also while the quality is questionable depending on what you like in a schlocky movie, if you want maximum Richard Norton presence hard to go wrong with......

Notable thing about this flick, same director as the aforementioned Future Hunters and Robert Patrick is in it also! :D You'll recognize some shared props/vehicles in each.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 30, 2020

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

jase1 posted:

Give me Scott Adkins fighting dudes in prison all day please. Just finished Avengement and what a ride.

Just finished The Debt Collecters (2) and same. I was dying at the Conversation about Ninja. God I love me some Adkins. Was never really into the straight-to-dvd action movie fan until I marathoned as much Adkins as I could a year or so back.

Who are the other big "straight to dvd" action stars that have "good" movies now that I've pretty much run through the Adkins catalog. Michael Jai White/Mario Van Peebles (still maybe?) are ones I can think of that I haven't seen any movies they lead. Any recommendations? (or any other actors/movies - Huge into Iko Uwais/The Raid guys so seen pretty much all movies connected to those). If it has a series, I'm all for it too - really liked the Sniper Octology for example (lol)

e: drat the next Adkins movie (with Peebles) sounds like it's going to be a wild ride

Seized: A former special forces agent's son is kidnapped and must now wipe out three dangerous crime syndicates, if he wants to see his son alive again.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 31, 2020

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Hirez posted:

Who are the other big "straight to dvd" action stars that have "good" movies now that I've pretty much run through the Adkins catalog. Michael Jai White is one I can think of that I haven't seen any movies he's the lead. Any recommendations? (or any other actors/movies - Huge into Iko Uwais/The Raid guys so seen pretty much all movies connected to those). If it has a series, I'm all for it too - really liked the Sniper Octology for example (lol)
I think Michael Jai White is the only other big one that's relatively prolific. Luke Goss sucks, Steven Seagal doesn't stand up anymore, Van Damme isn't working much these days.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

drat didn't realize he was Scorpion in S.W.A.T.: Under Siege (which I just watched the other day). I like him. and yea, I don't really mean the old dudes like Segal (who always sucked except in Executive Decision :hellyeah: rip fucker), and Dolph who was okay but could never carry imo. Hmm I haven't seen as much of the recent JCVD as I thought, just the Kickboxer reboot stuff - is any of his post 2010 stuff good? Pound of Flesh sounds interesting

e: gently caress how did I miss Assassination Games with JVCD vs Scott Adkins some how - now I know what's next,

e2: Assassination Games was loving awesome.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 2, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have to say that even though I was an Adkins fan before, this youtube series has really given me a whole different level of appreciation for these kind of low budget martial arts films. Knowing what goes into them, and understanding how special these talents are(Adkins or Jai White today but also your Dacascos and Nortons and Rothrocks of previous decades) really increased my enjoyment of even the lowliest of low budget Adkins flicks.

Probably no surprise given that Norton was the previous episode, but Adkins has Cynthia Rothrock on this week's episode, which I can't wait to see. It debuts tomorrow.

Hirez posted:

e: gently caress how did I miss Assassination Games with JVCD vs Scott Adkins some how - now I know what's next,

Prime example, I used to actually have standards about the production values of action movies I would watch but now if you tell me that Adkins has a good fight scene in it I will watch it no matter what.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 31, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Is Asia still making low budget wuxia movies nowadays or is everything an epic Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon affair? Amazon Prime's huge backlog of Shaw Bros and associated studio movies is so drat soothing to watch.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hirez posted:

Who are the other big "straight to dvd" action stars that have "good" movies now that I've pretty much run through the Adkins catalog.

Michael Jai White is the one one who's filmography is comparable to Adkins. Blood and Bone is a legit contender. You'll find good movies here and there starring other people (eg In The Blood starring Gina Carano and the Death Race sequels starring that guy I can't remember) but the number guys who had a run of decent direct to video movies in recent years is pretty small. In the 90s things were different: Gary Daniels had a run of great flicks for PM Entertainment (Rage, Recoil, and another R-title I can't remember), pretty much any Billy Blanks movie from the 90s is a martial arts blast, and Mark Decascos had some great movies from those days (especially Drive from 1997). In the 90s productions actually spent serious money on direct to videos movies, and many of them are fantastic. These days, you have to settle for much lower productions, and hope for the best.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

excellent. I'm pretty new to the "genre" so I probably haven't seen it if it doesn't have an "A-lister " in it (or Scott Adkins) so any and all recommendations are welcome.

In The Blood sounds excellent as a huge Carano fan - with bonus Danny Trejo :hellyeah: (which leads me to Blood and Bone with Michael Jai White and Gina Carano - bit part or not, I like how all these B-listers kind of link together in a 1 degrees from Scott Adkins kind of feel)

vvv saw all those recently cept I Am Vengeance (so now I'll have to watch the 1st one and that, thanks!), we must have the same netflix recommendations trail - I'd add Maria to the list which I thought was excellent.

also saw this Redeemer recently which might be one of my favorite movies of this genre - god drat this guy rules (who was in Savage Dog with Scott Adkins!)

Hirez fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 31, 2020

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
My favorite ones from 2020 so far, under the radar and non-Adkins, are Cagefighter Worlds Collide, I Am Vengeance Retaliation, Lost Bullet, Hitman Agent Jun, and The Decline.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Not much action this month:

Now Streaming Sep 2020

Amazon: Rambo 4, Ghost in the Shell (anime dub)
Hoopla: Avengement
Tubi: Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
Hulu: Demolition Man, Rambo 4, The Terminator
Netflix: WELCOME TO SUDDEN DEATH (9/29)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The hell is a Hoopla and Tubi?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hoopla is awesome for action movies. It and Kanopy are both library services where you get a limited number of checkouts per month. You should be able to get access to it via a library card and many of those are available online with no verification during covid.

Hoopla has a really good selection of foreign action. Off the top of my head I watched spl 2, wolf warrior 1/2, blade of the immortal, the host, death grip and villainess on it

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah and Tubi is just tubitv.com and it's 100% free, with ads. Though in your computer browser you can block them. I've watched Tubi stuff on the TV too with my Roku and there aren't actually very many ad breaks in the length of a movie, so I don't even mind that.

Tubi has the best selection of movies people in this thread would enjoy, including the bottom of the barrel.
https://tubitv.com/category/action

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

mastershakeman posted:

Hoopla is awesome for action movies. It and Kanopy are both library services where you get a limited number of checkouts per month. You should be able to get access to it via a library card and many of those are available online with no verification during covid.

Hoopla has a really good selection of foreign action. Off the top of my head I watched spl 2, wolf warrior 1/2, blade of the immortal, the host, death grip and villainess on it

Hoopla’s also the only place that I’ve been able to watch Exiled and Fulltime Killer.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Day Of Reckoning kicks rear end. I am trying to distract myself from my wife's upcoming surgery/hospital stay and that is near the top of the list I made to watch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

B-Rock452 posted:

Day Of Reckoning kicks rear end. I am trying to distract myself from my wife's upcoming surgery/hospital stay and that is near the top of the list I made to watch.
Oof. Just went through that.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Some news for Frank Grillo fans (or Joe Carnahan fans, I guess)

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1301089987203489792

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Gerard Butler is a terrible action star - other than Hunter Killer (which kicks rear end), all of his movies loving blow (maybe one of the first 2 fallen were okay, I forget - but 3 was abysmal - lol at nick nolte's entire forest setup with bombs and poo poo, gently caress that poo poo was terrible) - I don't know, maybe it's just me and I just can't stand the actor. Guy needs to go be a cop on some CBS show for olds.

e: Geostorm was good for hilarious reasons

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Hirez posted:

Gerard Butler is a terrible action star

Over the last decade, I've had Butler sat along side Russell Crowe. No matter what role they're in, I'm stuck on "guy that kinda looks like the dad of a girl you dated once and when you met him, made subtle suggestions the entire night about how he could beat you up if he wanted to". Constantly teetering on precipice of being fat and alcoholic. It's weird, but I can't get over it.

\/\/ I feel like any serviceable action star could have done well in that role. For me 300 is about the entire scenario, he's not really a stand out part of it for me; maybe I need a rewatch!

midge fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 2, 2020

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Gerard Butler slayed it in 300, and if you have anything negative to say about that movie then we're going to have some words bub < :mad: >

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I ran across a new movie where Megan Fox plays the head of a group of mercenaries trying to rescue a governors daughter.

I passed

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Pillowpants posted:

I ran across a new movie where Megan Fox plays the head of a group of mercenaries trying to rescue a governors daughter.

I passed

This will make a good awful 'so bad it's terrible' double feature with The Doorman with Ruby Rose as a super badass soldier in Die Hard-in-a-hotel.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I find him okay as American Mike in the *Thing has Fallen* movies but those I enjoy for being dumb on the level of 80s B-Flicks.

midge posted:

Over the last decade, I've had Butler sat along side Russell Crowe. No matter what role they're in, I'm stuck on "guy that kinda looks like the dad of a girl you dated once and when you met him, made subtle suggestions the entire night about how he could beat you up if he wanted to". Constantly teetering on precipice of being fat and alcoholic. It's weird, but I can't get over it.
Lmao now that you've said it it's incredibly accurate and I'll always view him through that lens. Always a hairsbreadth between in shape and bloated.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

At least Russell Crowe rules harder the fatter he gets. He’s great in The Nice Guys as someone who looks like he can handle himself but also drinks too much.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Pillowpants posted:

I passed

good choice - I watched that, one of her elite merc members gets snuck up on by a herd of elephants, and the rest die to a single lion because they don't know how to close a door or anything, then Megan Fox finds the lioness cubs and she sheds a tear the end. gently caress you lol.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I really liked Butler in Den of Thieves. That movie is just straight up “Monster Energy presents Heat “ and I love every second of it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just remembered that Johnny Messner is a good DTV actor these days but the quality of his films is way lower than the average Adkins. Beyond the Law is a good movie though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hirez posted:

good choice - I watched that, one of her elite merc members gets snuck up on by a herd of elephants, and the rest die to a single lion because they don't know how to close a door or anything, then Megan Fox finds the lioness cubs and she sheds a tear the end. gently caress you lol.

Now I'm definitely watching it. The trailer made it look stupid, like a film that would appear in front of a tropic thunder sequel, but that is so much dumber than i could have hoped.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Hirez posted:

You can’t be serious.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So today's Keanu Reeve's 56th birthday.

I kind of love how imdb lists him as only being rumored to return to the role of John Wick in John Wick 4.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

David D. Davidson posted:

So today's Keanu Reeve's 56th birthday.

I kind of love how imdb lists him as only being rumored to return to the role of John Wick in John Wick 4.

John Wick becomes yet another Vin Diesel franchise

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Pillowpants posted:

You can’t be serious.

:mil101: You'd be suprised how little sound an elephant makes when walking. But in this movie I'm sure there are camera shaking impacts as soon as the elephants appear on screen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Adkins got Benny the Jet for next week's episode.

Edit: Correction, he's dropping the new episode tomorrow!

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 3, 2020

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I will never get tired of stories about making action movies the right way in Hong Kong.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Halloween Jack posted:

Oof. Just went through that.

Well we already dealt with her tumor removal, chemo and hospitalization from covid when she started chemo back in Feb. This is just to put in permanent colostomy. Colon cancer is a loving bitch (she is 35 and was diagnosed last year like two weeks after the birth of our 2nd kid).

Made a list for what to watch each night after I get the kids down, no deep dives but wanted to represent all my favorite stars and these are all movies I love

Kiss of the Dragon
Kill Zone 2
Wheels on Meals
Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning
The Raid 2 (I have seen the original like ten times, this one only once
Kung Fu Panda 2 (gonna do our oldest first stay up late movie night)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Well we already dealt with her tumor removal, chemo and hospitalization from covid when she started chemo back in Feb. This is just to put in permanent colostomy. Colon cancer is a loving bitch (she is 35 and was diagnosed last year like two weeks after the birth of our 2nd kid).

Made a list for what to watch each night after I get the kids down, no deep dives but wanted to represent all my favorite stars and these are all movies I love

Kiss of the Dragon
Kill Zone 2
Wheels on Meals
Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning
The Raid 2 (I have seen the original like ten times, this one only once
Kung Fu Panda 2 (gonna do our oldest first stay up late movie night)

Make sure you also watch universal soldier regeneration.

Also, nothing but love to you and your family.

EDIT: Nightshooters, which is 'Die Hard but with gangsters instead of terrorists and a film crew instead of Bruce Willis' is actually a really charming little film. It takes its time establishing the goodies and their dynamic, does a solid job making the villains pretty scary but also getting a ton of laughs, is well structured with a few good payoffs and has some really impressive fight scenes. The main action guy in it (Jean Paul ly, who is the film's stuntman, don't think about it too hard) is also working on the upcoming batman.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 4, 2020

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I voluntarily forbid myself from watching action films in "No Action August" because I am insane and stupid, but now that's over and I'm back baby. And there isn't a good movie in sight.

The Tax Collector (2020) - 2.5/5
All the reviews I saw for this were either "it's horrible" (normal people) or "it rules" (action fans I trust) so I was rather surprised that my final verdict is "it was fine."

A lot of squandered potential, as there are at least 4 interesting, well-developed characters that get nowhere near the screen time they deserved: LeBeouf, Sloan, Lopez, and Hernandez. And all in service of there being no action or even particularly notable events in the first half of the movie's run-time.

I don't know if Ayer thought he was really getting something out of this deeply uneventful character study in the first half, but suddenly he remembers that he has to have something happen and basically everything is crammed into the last 40 minutes.

Script itself is enjoyable, the violence that is there is brutal, and the acting is good all around. But someone needed to get Ayer to move away from the dull parts and towards the exciting ones.

Also, laughing at the idea that Brian Ortega got a speaking part with multiple scenes but I had to rewind and pause to find Brendan Schaub in the corner of a few shots. not sure what "film gig" youre referring to my man

The 2nd (2020) - 2/5
The core of this movie is a low-budget Die Hard set at a college dorm starring Bob Lee Swagger himself, The Shooter, Ryan Phillippe. That heart of the film contains some strong performances and good action. Phillipe, Van Dien, and even Simonsen and Griffo put in solid work. It's nice to see the kidnapping target of a film like this actually get a piece of the action instead of being relegated only to screaming and crying.

The hand-to-hand combat is well done by Christopher Troy. Going by IMDb, it seems like this might be his first time as stunt coordinator and I think he did a very good job. I'd like to see more in the future.

The film loses a little for the look, they did the best with what they had but it still has that DTV feel to it. The gun stuff looks especially bad throughout: CG muzzle flashes, some weird looped sequences of people firing at each other, and a good amount of people going down with no impact.

But the major flaw in the film is the script. The framing of the Die Hard story is the idea that "liberals are the real terrorists for trying to kill the second amendment." I say "the idea" because it is not communicated well at all, to the point that it almost feels like it's embarrassed to be using such an awful plot. Still, you can get extra enjoyment out of it if you know going in that you are in for something so ridiculous.

Ava (2020) - 1/5
Absolutely infuriating film. If you disregard all the marketing and genre categorization, this is a low energy drama about an alcoholic that comes back home to pick up the pieces after her father dies. Only, instead of having 20% of the movie be about her having trouble with a mean boss at work, that 20% is badly directed action scenes layered with a nonsensical "the organization" / triple-cross plot.

What do you really expect from the director of The Help and Get On Up trying out action? They gave him a fight coordinator with 25 years of industry experience and he still managed to turn this mess. And there's no help from the awful script that gives you nothing to be interested in on either the family drama side or the violence side.

There was one cool moment in the film, the fountain, and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

Adkins got Benny the Jet for next week's episode.

Edit: Correction, he's dropping the new episode tomorrow!

I hope he talks about being in 1408.