Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

dorium posted:

I would like to see someone only consume the worst of the worst horror on Netflix, Hulu and the true depths of Amazon Prime. I’m talking about the awful horror movies that don’t even have box art or descriptions. It’s just a screen of a random clip of the movie with the title in impact font and the genre is just horror

I’ve been through the depths of generic box art Amazon Prime and my god there is no bottom to that pit.

Lots of terrible anthologies. Also I found one that was an animated horror movie with witches and zombies and every character was a thinly veiled Barbie-esque fetishized lady and all of the dialogue was text to speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

I would like to see someone only consume the worst of the worst horror on Netflix, Hulu and the true depths of Amazon Prime. I’m talking about the awful horror movies that don’t even have box art or descriptions. It’s just a screen of a random clip of the movie with the title in impact font and the genre is just horror

Don't tempt me. Netflix makes it hard to find random rear end poo poo these days without knowing what you're looking for, and I don't have Amazon Prime, but Tubi is probably ripe for it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

WeaponX posted:

I’ve been through the depths of generic box art Amazon Prime and my god there is no bottom to that pit.

Lots of terrible anthologies. Also I found one that was an animated horror movie with witches and zombies and every character was a thinly veiled Barbie-esque fetishized lady and all of the dialogue was text to speech.

what movie is this

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Junk Food Dinner reviewed one called Where the Dead go to Die. I haven't seen it but they said it was very bad.

http://www.junkfooddinner.com/2017/05/jfd363-fritz-cat-mr-sprinkles-where.html?m=1

quote:

And finally, what do you get when you mix PS1 cut-scene style computer animation and Ghoul Summer-worthy subject matter? Where the Dead Go to Die from 2012. It's horrendous.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 2, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Junk Food Dinner reviewed one called Where the Dead go to Die. I haven't seen it but they said it was very bad.

http://www.junkfooddinner.com/2017/05/jfd363-fritz-cat-mr-sprinkles-where.html?m=1

That looks terrible and the animation is similar but that’s not the one I saw. I’m still searching, I forgot the name but it was all text to speech. Every word.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

married but discreet posted:

Please share your list so far, I need it.

https://boxd.it/8r9VM

Here is my list of confirmed films, or basically films I've managed to find copies of so far. The Africa leg of the tour is currently limited to one Nigerian film and one Tunisian film, which sucks.

Here are a couple of lists I'm using to help me, but they're also not great on the African horror front.

Mondo Macabro - The Wild Side of World Cinema https://boxd.it/4qEK
(almost) One Horror Movie from Each Country in the World https://boxd.it/4TDz2

I might have to collate my own list from all these dribs and drabs. One thing that doesn't help is that, while you can sort by country on Letterboxd, most of these films have been poorly catalogued so they don't show up. The same goes for Wikipedia, which has a master list of African horror with fewer than 50 films from only 3 countries.

dorium posted:

I think that was M Sin's April challenge judging bt the number of scarecrow-based films they watched.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

don't watch Where the Dead Go to Die, a hardcore neo-nazi was one of the main creatives on it

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Found it. The Digital Dead - Return of the Zombies

Feast your eyes on this beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQk6TGvNsKc

Holy poo poo it's worse than I remember, is this Second Life or something?

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 2, 2020

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I think that was M Sin's April challenge judging bt the number of scarecrow-based films they watched.

That was the Anything Streaming theme. Prime's got a metric poo poo-ton of scarecrow, found footage, and creepyass location films that so many are so eye bleedingly awful, it makes what my friends and I made when we were younger with a camcorder look like A level high cinema. Not helping either is so many use the same imagery on thier posters that the only noticeable difference is the font on the title and even that's iffy.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I liked Invisible Man but not as much as a lot of the thread. I thought the CGI in the last act was not great and it kind of took me out of the film a bit.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

https://boxd.it/8r9VM

Here is my list of confirmed films, or basically films I've managed to find copies of so far. The Africa leg of the tour is currently limited to one Nigerian film and one Tunisian film, which sucks.

Darkside Magazine did a feature on the first horror movie from every country in the world about a year ago. Assuming I can find it, I'll scan in the morning. Whether you'll be able to find any of them is another matter.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

M_Sinistrari posted:

That was the Anything Streaming theme. Prime's got a metric poo poo-ton of scarecrow, found footage, and creepyass location films that so many are so eye bleedingly awful, it makes what my friends and I made when we were younger with a camcorder look like A level high cinema. Not helping either is so many use the same imagery on thier posters that the only noticeable difference is the font on the title and even that's iffy.

I absolutely commend you on putting yourself through that. I mostly gave up on those Prime homemade movies after watching Hooker with a Hacksaw, which is maybe 10 minutes of gore, and what felt like 80 minutes of the lead actress walking around a strip mall and looking at Halloween decorations.

Sono posted:

Darkside Magazine did a feature on the first horror movie from every country in the world about a year ago. Assuming I can find it, I'll scan in the morning. Whether you'll be able to find any of them is another matter.

Thank you!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

dorium posted:

I went through all of the z-grade zombie titles on prime last year when I was unemployed, there is some absolute dogshit on there.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

ruddiger posted:

I went through all of the z-grade zombie titles on prime last year when I was unemployed, there is some absolute dogshit on there.

I initially read this as "z-grade zombie titties" and my assessment of Prime remains the same

e:
Anyway, 1BR, In The Tall Grass, and Devil's Gate are all popping up for me on Netflix; should I bother with any of them? I have a very high tolerance for even the stupidest horror as long as it's vaguely sci-fi or ghosty

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 2, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

I watched this and realized you can get anything up on prime lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISh0d_Xh5Rs

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I absolutely commend you on putting yourself through that.

It comes from being in a movie obsessed family. We're to the degree that I wouldn't be surprised if there's still dishware from the Depression era theater giveaways in storage somewhere, and when my grand-aunt was in the late stages of Alzheimer's to where she was forgetting how to eat, she was still able to glower and make a fist to let me and my cousins know we were wrong when arguing about whether it was Clara Bow or Lillian Gish in a film. Pretty much we'll give anything a watch unless there's a grudge involved. Every since Jerry Lewis was an rear end in a top hat to my Mom and cousin, we've refused to sit through anything of his.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Found it. The Digital Dead - Return of the Zombies

Feast your eyes on this beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQk6TGvNsKc

Holy poo poo it's worse than I remember, is this Second Life or something?

yessss

e: uploaded in 2018 and max resolution is 480p, I love everything about this

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Has anyone seen The Good Things Devils Do (2020)? A friend kept texting me in a frothing rage about how bad that movie is, so it's likely pretty good and I'm very curious.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

anime tupac posted:

Anyway, 1BR, In The Tall Grass, and Devil's Gate are all popping up for me on Netflix; should I bother with any of them? I have a very high tolerance for even the stupidest horror as long as it's vaguely sci-fi or ghosty
In The Tall Grass will certainly be tolerable for you. It’s not as good as it should be but there are some good performances, spooky moments, and I honestly don’t remember if the, um, source of antagonism (trying to be vague) is sci-fi or ghostly or ambiguously both.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Ill definitely second In The Tall Grass. Its not to long and its interesting. 1BR was alright for me but I felt it moved at such a break neck speed. I just got Shudder last night and saw Jawbreaker and watched it so I haven't seen what else was on there till tonight. I watched The Room and....eh. It was horribly campy at parts and I don't think it was ironic. It had some pretty chilling parts though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

.I watched The Room and....eh. It was horribly campy at parts and I don't think it was ironic. It had some pretty chilling parts though.

Ha ha what a story. Did you see the reflections of your life?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

Fulci fans, check out Fulci for Fake. Was really enjoyable.

Nice thanks

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I think I've figured out my plan for Sep/Oct movies. This month I'm going to work my way through the They Shot Zombies list started at 1000 and working my way up, watching the stinkers. Next month I'm going to start at 1 and working my way down, watching the really good one. I've watched like 300/1000 of them, so hopefully I can make a dent in the rest.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

For fans of the podcast(s) "In Voorhees We Trust With Gourley and Rust" and "In Myers We Trust", I just saw Matt Gourley log Nightmare on Elm Street on Letterboxd. They've been quiet about if they're following through with "In Kruger We Trust", so this is a good sign.

Sweet! Freddy seems like the most obvious next choice, although they like to do 13 episodes so I wonder if they'll throw in some other Wes Craven movies or do a grab bag or something to fill out the rest of the season.

I'm almost done with the Myers season, just finished Halloween Resurrection on my drive to work today. It's kind of absurd how long each episode is, but it's a fun and chill podcast so I'm happy with the length.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched The Houses October Built last night, because Hulu keeps thrusting the sequel at me. I liked the central idea behind it, but I thought it was just a lovely execution.

After watching that documentary about the extreme haunted houses, the idea of running across one that takes it too far is a great idea for a movie. The major problem is it spends the first hour just looking for it, by going to other haunted houses, and occasionally being menaced by some clowns.

They finally arrive there in the last 20 minutes, and it's 90% darkness and screaming in first person, before the finale. The cool shot of that sequence for me was one of the characters is holding a glow-stick, the lovely part is the only thing you can see is the glow-stick.

Oh, and because the concept is these friends are filming a documentary, it's all in an annoying found footage style. Because everyone played themselves in the credits, it was probably just a bunch of friends deciding to make a full-length movie that should have been 30-45 minutes.

That said, I would love to see a better version of this, with a proper narrative that wasn't all filler.

It also made me sad that Halloween is cancelled this year :(

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Halloween can never be cancelled with your spookadoodle crew.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

gey muckle mowser posted:

Sweet! Freddy seems like the most obvious next choice, although they like to do 13 episodes so I wonder if they'll throw in some other Wes Craven movies or do a grab bag or something to fill out the rest of the season.

I'm almost done with the Myers season, just finished Halloween Resurrection on my drive to work today. It's kind of absurd how long each episode is, but it's a fun and chill podcast so I'm happy with the length.

It's just such a pleasant listen. I don't think I finished a lot of the Halloween episodes, but I still think I got my time's worth out of them. Just two silly goofs talking about things they like.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Franchescanado posted:

For fans of the podcast(s) "In Voorhees We Trust With Gourley and Rust" and "In Myers We Trust", I just saw Matt Gourley log Nightmare on Elm Street on Letterboxd. They've been quiet about if they're following through with "In Kruger We Trust", so this is a good sign.
Sounds like it's time to face the music...with Rapmaster Freddy!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Love Gun is one of the best songs ever written

Go to hell!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

dorium posted:

New thread title?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

dorium posted:

Hell yeah Quarantine-o-ween

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Happy Haunting!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Halloween be all aroun’ in the dark. Halloween will be ever’where — wherever you look. Wherever they’s a fight so hungry people can eat, Halloween will be there. Wherever they’s a cop beatin’ up a guy, Halloween will be there. If Mike Myers knowed, why, I’ll be in the way guys yell when they’re mad an’ — Halloween will be in the way kids laugh when they’re hungry an’ they know supper’s ready. An’ when our folks eat the stuff they raise an’ live in the houses they build — why, Halloween will be there. See? God, I’m talkin’ like Myers. Comes of thinkin’ about him so much. Seems like I can see him sometimes.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched The Houses October Built last night, because Hulu keeps thrusting the sequel at me. I liked the central idea behind it, but I thought it was just a lovely execution.

I feel like arguably Haunt is a better executed take on more or less the same concept if you haven’t seen it

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Benito Cereno posted:

I feel like arguably Haunt is a better executed take on more or less the same concept if you haven’t seen it

agreed, I didn't care for The Houses October Built at all but I really enjoyed Haunt

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

gey muckle mowser posted:

agreed, I didn't care for The Houses October Built at all but I really enjoyed Haunt

Same.

Heads up, the October sequel is significantly worse.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/scream_factory/status/1301193916931219459?s=21

New specs for the F13 box.

They found a VHS with the full original Jeff / Sandra spear scene!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Sono posted:

Happy Haunting!

You're the best!