Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Marcus Smart hit 5 threes in the first 4:30 of the 4th quarter but didn't get 6. the only player to hit 6 in a quarter of a playoff game is motherfucking 'Toine.

The situation is excellent.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rick posted:

I honestly think sports specialization has offset any gains in injury prevention from minute reduction. Doing nothing but basketball puts stress on the same muscles and bones you will use as an adult much younger. Wilt was decently high level track athlete and Kareem had other interest than athletics. No AAU ball traveling teams etc.

Of course we are much better at bringing guys back from injuries now.

I can see that logic. I wonder how much of an effect on the length of careers using "medicines" like bute had on older players. (a painkiller no longer approved for human use.) I'm assuming it caused a lot of players to have long term problems after their careers were over but have never looked into it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah i can’t remember if daltos brought it up or if i read it on my own, but cross training in various sports is way better for your body even if you specialize in one and it encourages good biomechanical form (for example, if you do track, you’re not going to be running with heel strikes for very long, and if you play football, you’re going to learn how to gradually slow down your momentum with a full head of steam, and other stuff like that)

i think stuff like aau is fine ultimately but it means that between that, camps, showcases, and high school teams they have zero offseason and, y’know, they don’t get to be normal teenagers at all

I think AAU is good in the sense that it gives people opportunities that would not otherwise be there. But yeah I agree I wish that kids could be kids and it wasn’t a year round thing.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
What are you tlaking about the Ball Boys had great childhoods

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I hate this poo poo being called a tech https://twitter.com/TheNBAHustle/status/1300948510863364097

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Calling that a tech is about as dumb as when the NFL banned endzone celebrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

stupid as hell

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Weak and very bad tech.

ALSO

Let's go the Utah Jazz basketball team, win this match please, I hope Jingles and Mitchell go off for 50 each.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/1300953948560343042?s=19

drat, I've been owned.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Come at the king you better not miss

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Calling that a tech is about as dumb as when the NFL banned endzone celebrations.

Says you. I'd like my basketball players to be more robotic.

I eagerly await the day where instead of taking a shot, the point guard will actually roll a die to see if their shot is successful.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1300878624829181953

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao at that picture

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

adding, "It reminds me of the '87 team, just missing that special something, you know? The special something is Len Bias, in case you weren't sure"

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

adding, "It reminds me of the '87 team, just missing that special something, you know? The special something is Len Bias, in case you weren't sure"

If you're implying that the Simmons family engages in cannibalism, then you have my vote.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

as a very casual NBA watcher, why did they decide to T up punching the air of all things

everybody in every sport does it, up to and including people watching

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Troy Queef posted:

as a very casual NBA watcher, why did they decide to T up punching the air of all things

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

thanks for this

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The other one I always think of is Artest nearly killing Harden, though that was technically an elbow.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also VC after the dunk of death almost took a dudes head off with his celebratory air punch

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

I am late to this but this is a perfect pass to the ref:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
This post was way too good to get lost in the GDT

R.D. Mangles posted:

due to institutional attacks on the post office, the mailman also doesn't deliver on tuesday

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK I guess I have to find a new bandwagon team.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
dawww

https://twitter.com/QCHspencer/status/1300991112883187713?s=20

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nice choke Utah

And what a 90s esque final score

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Hope we get a sequel to that series next year

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

it's possible i'm wrong but i swear to god i'd never heard "punching the air is an automatic T" until the Porzingis ejection in Game 1 of Clips/Mavs and Steve Javie had to explain why it was good, and now it happens like every game

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nice choke Utah

I don't know if there's any numbers to back me up, but it seems like Game 7s are always sloppier and lower-scoring than the rest of a series.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Well well well look who cost his team a series win with a bad turnover

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Dutchy posted:

it's possible i'm wrong but i swear to god i'd never heard "punching the air is an automatic T" until the Porzingis ejection in Game 1 of Clips/Mavs and Steve Javie had to explain why it was good, and now it happens like every game

https://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/technical-foul-overt-gesture-air-punch-directed-at-official/

everything about it is weird cop poo poo

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Don Mitchell having the 3rd most points in a playoff game and then 9 turnovers in game 7 was quite the rollercoaster

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
he also basically brought them back by himself in the third and played good d on murray but yeah no one is gonna care

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nice choke Utah

I didnt get to watch this one and I saw the score and legit thought this was late in the third

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
A great chucker who carried a team that was letting him down only to lose because he had an ill timed turnover and will most surely get all the blame where have I seen this script

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mitchell must be kicking himself. If he would have ran back he might have been in stride for a pass from Conley for a closer shot. The way it ended up he was wide open but cut off because Conley had to move the ball up the court. I don't blame him you lose the ball there it's almost for sure an insta foul or the Nuggs run it out. So brutal

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/VernonMaxwell11/status/1301008256870092804

Chairchucker posted:

OK I guess I have to find a new bandwagon team.

might i suggest the underdog team of the playoffs, the los angeles lakers?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Troy Queef posted:

Peacocking during the game is explicitly forbidden during the game

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The NBA doesn't want to become loving fifa

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Metapod posted:

A great chucker who carried a team that was letting him down only to lose because he had an ill timed turnover and will most surely get all the blame where have I seen this script

He lost to the ultimate chucker, Nikola Jokic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Jokic isn't a chucker he's a chonky prima ballerina