Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I now suspect my "5/16" fuel line is a little larger.

Why? My 1/4" to 5/16" barb adapter arrived (see my last reply on the last page - evap has 2 different size ends on the purge hose).. The 1/4 slips right on like a glove, and fits like factory. The 5/16" is like :flaccid: down a hallway on it.. and seems pretty loose on most of the fittings. Explains the bitch of a time getting clamps tight enough to finally seal. :argh: The 5/16 is marked "5/16" (7.9mm) ID fuel injection". I suspect it may be half a mm larger (7.937mm would be a hair larger if it was really 5/16", but hey). PO had used Napa hose, maybe I should have gone there. :sigh: IIRC Subaru used 8mm hose from the factory. I don't have any calipers to measure it with.

Oh well. Everything's on there. I suspect the 1/4" portion of the evap hose really doesn't even need a clamp (though it had spring clamps from the factory), it fits nice and snug at both ends. The 5/16" portion very much needs clamps.

Oddly, when I filled up earlier, the car took 4 tries to start. It acted like it was flooded. Except... the evap hose wasn't even hooked up - it was capped at both the engine and body hard line, and I didn't smell any gas fumes. Acted exactly like both of my Saturds did when the purge solenoid failed, except there's no evap hooked up at the moment. Makes me wonder if somehow some gas got forced up into the return? Or maybe my dumbass swapped the evap and return lines at the firewall side? :ohdear:

Subaru guys - the blue line from the firewall IS the evap line, right? And how common is the Subaru fuel pump issue where the pump "cap" comes off and lets it stop holding pressure, resulting in extended cranking? I've heard of that being an issue on late 90s-mid 00s Subarus (enough that Dorman offers a repair kit). This is the first actual hard start outside of when I replaced the filter. It was only off for 5 minutes, but it's the only time I've put gas in it with the evap disconnected.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Is it for rubber line or plastic hardline? The barbs for them will actually be different sizes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Took the AC condenser out of our 95 Prado as it has a leak. Now that it's out of the car it's easy to see it just isn't in good shape at all. Working with a friend over in Japan to buy a re-manufactured unit from here:

http://iwaki-radiator.com/products/detail6491.html

Which involves sending this one as a core return there in order to get the re-manufactured unit. Japan is how Japan is so my buddy is just leaving out the whole thing about this going to the USA, and we're instead just going to double ship everything. It's going to be expensive, but trying to find a place here in the US to refurbish this condenser has proven difficult. Trying to find a new one is impossible, and the only used ones I can find on the entire internet are all in Russia, for sale for Russians, no easy way to get them out of the country. I have another friend who is from Ukraine helping me explore trying to get one of those bastards out, but so far she hasn't heard back from the places she's emailed.
It's a very specific condenser for a specific set of Prados from a specific set of years. It isn't the same one from the 4Runners/Hilux Surfs either, much to my dismay.
Plus you know the one from Japan is going to be reman'd to a good spec.

Come to butthead.

Also removed the HID conversion kit that was installed.

Begone vile HIDS!

and hello factory halogens:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

Is it for rubber line or plastic hardline? The barbs for them will actually be different sizes.

That's uh, a good question. Doesn't say. Few bucks on Amazon though. Made of brass. :shrug:

I wound up just wrapping the 5/16 end of the barb in a few layers of electrical tape and cranking the poo poo out of the clamp (yup, I'm now THAT previous owner). The same 5/16 bulk hoses were a bitch to get not to leak at the fuel rail, fuel filter, etc, so I suspect they run a little big. We'll see once it gets low enough on gas to run the evap test - at the moment, that's the only readiness monitor showing not ready, and it doesn't have any pending codes (yet).

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Been meaning to take these pedal covers off for a while on the ‘02 Civic Si:

But when I took them off I found this underneath:

I was expecting to find bare metal pedals, so I guess the new OEM pedal pads will go in the boxes with all the hundreds of other extra parts I have for this car. I am toying with the idea of selling it so it’s just more new stuff for the owner.

The car, for reference

Oh? Going to sell it? Is this the car that you stumbled upon that was owned by a previous fan and had all sorts of goodies?

You Am I posted:

With all the Covid lockdowns and working from home, I have barely driven my Focus the past 6 months. But it also hasn't had a wash since mid March. So I gave it a full detail, including cleaning and vaccing out the interior, washing the outside of it, clay bar then a polish. Sorry about the crappy photos, but there's restrictions on how far I can leave home at the moment. Would love to go somewhere to show it off, but there we go.

Before:

After:

Wow! That looks fantastic. Good use of time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nothing like buying a 2017 used vehicle and needing to replace the battery in the first two weeks of ownership.

Didn't realize Advance shifted to Diehard brand.

And gently caress battery prices. At least I was able to dig up a $25 coupon.

And thankful it was dead in the driveway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Advance/Carquest bought the rights to the Diehard brand last year, I think? Diehard never made their own batteries either - they just tended to be the better of the "good" batches. TBH I'm kinda annoyed by this,; a lot of Carquest batteries used to be made by East/Penn, which is my favorite. Now I have to figure out who's making the Diehard lines in my region. :smith: (E/P made a decent chunk of DH too)

Advance ALWAYS has at least a 20% off coupon. If you dig a bit, sometimes 25% off. They don't always apply to batteries, though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Costco is where I go for batteries, if only because I know if it's poo poo for some reason I'm covered, but also if you have an executive membership you always get a chunk back on your return. Same thing with tires, I buy from Costco if I can.
I also buy more tires and batteries than ever before so YMMV

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I do Discount for tires. Not a fan of the company (ENOUGH WITH THE CHRISTIAN SOFT-ROCK), but their customer service is awesome. They'll also actually replace all 4 tires if one can't be repaired on a full-time AWD vehicle, if you have road hazard.

I've replaced two batteries in 10 years, so uh.. (also Costco batteries are just relabeled Interstate for the most part).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

STR posted:

I do Discount for tires. Not a fan of the company (ENOUGH WITH THE CHRISTIAN SOFT-ROCK), but their customer service is awesome. They'll also actually replace all 4 tires if one can't be repaired on a full-time AWD vehicle, if you have road hazard.

I've replaced two batteries in 10 years, so uh.. (also Costco batteries are just relabeled Interstate for the most part).

Right, I realize that I'm in an atypical situation but I sometimes buy a battery (or two!) a month, sometimes a set of tires a month as well. That's a lot of $$$$$

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, for your use-case, Costco makes a lot more sense.

While I live with a roommate, we each do our own food shopping/cooking, and live in ~1000 sq ft anyway. He drives a fairly new car (2016 Lexus) with brand new tires and a new battery. I drive a much older car, but with "goodish" tires and a newish battery. There's absolutely no reason for us to split a Costco membership - even if we did, we don't have the fridge or freezer space to store anything. There IS a dedicated freezer spot in the laundry room, but a good freezer is $$$ (we have some at work for $250, but I don't think they'll quite fit - and he doesn't cook much at all, therefore he refuses to justify the electric cost of a freezer :argh:).

I've been through Costco plenty, I just can't justify the cost. My insurance doesn't even cover their pharmacy - I work for a grocery store that has their own pharmacies; thus, only the company pharmacies are covered.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The only real reason for my Costco membership is the gas. Premium unleaded at Costco is usually $0.25 - $0.35 cheaper than at most gas stations. Considering my car's appetite for premium, this works out pretty neat.

Now if only Costco would let me refill my Shop Card online instead of in-store. but no biggie - just another excuse to grab a hot dog + drink.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

90s Solo Cup posted:

The only real reason for my Costco membership is the gas. Premium unleaded at Costco is usually $0.25 - $0.35 cheaper than at most gas stations. Considering my car's appetite for premium, this works out pretty neat.

Now if only Costco would let me refill my Shop Card online instead of in-store. but no biggie - just another excuse to grab a hot dog + drink.

I'd buy my fuel at Costco if they had diesel
:argh:

Fuel is not included with the executive membership either so the savings are all that are there. Just..they don't have the fuel I crave.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's construction going on at my nearest Costco, I think they're adding diesel.

Also Costco has the most painless battery exchange of them all. The only way it would be even less of an issue would be if they predicted the failure and replaced the battery for you before you even noticed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's construction going on at my nearest Costco, I think they're adding diesel.

Also Costco has the most painless battery exchange of them all. The only way it would be even less of an issue would be if they predicted the failure and replaced the battery for you before you even noticed.

I also heard rumors of diesel going in and possilbly expanded tire shop services.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The gas savings at Costco pay for our membership within a few months. Our gas is usually 50 cents per gallon cheaper or more than competitors. So I save $10 per fill up making it about $40 per month that I'm saving compared to just going to a regular station. Ours has diesel as well. My wife and I don't get a lot of groceries there but the gas itself pays for the membership and everything else is just a perk. We've used their car rentals while on vacation which was cheaper than anything else we could find.

If you smoke meat, their meat prices are usually really good ($50 12lb prime briskets).

Their batteries are intestate batteries which have always been good to me. Painless replacement and exchange. I have never done tires through them though as they only carry BFG all terrain and I'm on nitto Terra grapplers.

Overall I'm a big fan of Costco.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

jink posted:

Oh? Going to sell it? Is this the car that you stumbled upon that was owned by a previous fan and had all sorts of goodies?

Yeah thinking about it. Have an overflowing fleet currently. I have the previous six years of records, an extra power steering rack, window motors/regulators, center console, stock shifter, two more sets of tail lights, a few extra calipers and brake pads, 16” Borbet wheels with Conti DWS, some other poo poo I’m probably forgetting. The boxes of extra parts fill the hatch and backseat.

Non-tasteless mods include -
DC Sports header
Magnaflow cat
Magnaflow Exhaust
Buddy Club Shifter
DC Sports strut bar
Eibach Sport springs
Eibach sway bars
Koni front struts
Bilstein rear struts
Sparco FF1 wheels (11lb per)
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 in 205/50/15
Camber arms
Drilled/slotted rotors with upgraded pads

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 30, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I also heard rumors of diesel going in and possilbly expanded tire shop services.

They have diesel live at one location here already, it's just not even remotely near anywhere I go. I just hope that's why they're working on the one close to me.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nice lil wash today

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KakerMix posted:

Costco is where I go for batteries, if only because I know if it's poo poo for some reason I'm covered, but also if you have an executive membership you always get a chunk back on your return. Same thing with tires, I buy from Costco if I can.

Getting that $900 check at the end of the year is always so good until you realize how much you spent to achieve that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Getting that $900 check at the end of the year is always so good until you realize how much you spent to achieve that.

For sure, but I gotta buy those batteries and tires anyway.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

opengl128 posted:

Nice lil wash today

Neat. Reminds me to go pick up a decent polisher so I can get some proper detailing done.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

KakerMix posted:

I get blems from the local Interstate store if I can, usually 30-50% off with the same warranty. Downside is they don’t always have a particular size in stock. All of my cars are big enough I can put whatever battery in so it doesn’t matter much.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I always get cheap flooded lead acid batteries. They are the best thing you can get since you can actually maintain them. I make sure they are full of water and do a good equalizing charge once or twice a year.
I have several batteries over 10 years old that work just fine. You can't care properly for the stupid sealed pieces of of poo poo and then they only last a few years.
Cared for, a flooded battery lasts a LONG time.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Replaced the one mechanical part that failed inspection on the Blazer. Now just have to do some trail-spec body work and try again

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chrisgt posted:

I always get cheap flooded lead acid batteries. They are the best thing you can get since you can actually maintain them. I make sure they are full of water and do a good equalizing charge once or twice a year.
I have several batteries over 10 years old that work just fine. You can't care properly for the stupid sealed pieces of of poo poo and then they only last a few years.
Cared for, a flooded battery lasts a LONG time.

FWIW, almost all of our power equipment at work (3 forklifts, 4 pallet jacks) use flooded cells. All but one is on the original set of batteries from 8 or 9 years ago, though the cables have had to be replaced a few times on everything (the plugs wear out, cables fray from constantly getting slammed into the battery cover, etc). They're all 6 battery setup (two sets of 3 - 3 in parallel, with the two sets in series to get 24V). They, uh, make some impressive sparks when frayed cables touch.

One forklift recently got a new set got a set of AGM batteries. Of course it requires its own dedicated charger. :sigh: It does help that all of our chargers are able to equalize, but in this case I think they're equalizing the batteries to each other, not individual cells. There's no battery management unless it's tied into the chargers - and the lead-acid chargers are big rear end 200 pound fuckers that just show how many amps the batteries are pulling and how many hours are left.

We're supposed to check the water in all of them daily. Don't know how often that really happens, but these fuckers are used and abused all day every day, usually not getting charged until the forks stop working. Every now and then some dumbass keeps trying to use it anyway, and it dies entirely... so we have to use a forklift to drag it over to a charger. That always puts management in a good mood.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 1, 2020

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

STR posted:

FWIW, almost all of our power equipment at work (3 forklifts, 4 pallet jacks) use flooded cells

I'll admit I have a small sample size, but all electric power equipment I've ever used (that used lead batteries ofc) had flooded cells, with the whole topping it up after charging and stuff.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I decided to check the oil level in my RX-8 after filling up the fuel tank. This is after burning that entire tank drag racing this past weekend.

It did not burn a drop of oil...this is bad. The oil metering pump is electronic and the ECU considers it healthy (no CEL). I have the oil injection rate bumped up over stock as well. So there's a blockage somewhere or the pump has failed in a way not to trip a trouble code.

So I guess I have a decision to make. Tear the intake manifold off to find the source of the problem and correct it or go full premix and start wearing this hat: https://webiginc.com/collections/hats-1/products/all-y-all-need-hat

I'm leaning towards full premix since the engine is a series 1 13B-MSP and Mazda through the full oil injection system redesign of the S2 agrees that it is lacking. So project thread update incoming.

This may also result in a mechanical failures post sooner rather than later.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

I decided to check the oil level in my RX-8 after filling up the fuel tank. This is after burning that entire tank drag racing this past weekend.

It did not burn a drop of oil...this is bad. The oil metering pump is electronic and the ECU considers it healthy (no CEL). I have the oil injection rate bumped up over stock as well. So there's a blockage somewhere or the pump has failed in a way not to trip a trouble code.

So I guess I have a decision to make. Tear the intake manifold off to find the source of the problem and correct it or go full premix and start wearing this hat: https://webiginc.com/collections/hats-1/products/all-y-all-need-hat

I'm leaning towards full premix since the engine is a series 1 13B-MSP and Mazda through the full oil injection system redesign of the S2 agrees that it is lacking. So project thread update incoming.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I would suggest going full premix. Do not trust OMPs

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Go check out the underhood evap purge line on your car. I'll wait.

Your PCV line may or may not be similar, no clue since on mine the valve screws into the block itself instead of a valve cover. But the EJ's PCV system does the 2 sizes poo poo - the nipple to the intake manifold is larger than the nipple on the valve itself. Luckily it's only one (SAE) size up at the intake, so some heat got it on there. Probably not ever coming off again without cutting it off.

Nope. Gonna ignore it.
You may recall that I broke the PCV line when I did the cam cover gaskets, and yeah, it's a different size from the (semi) hard line and the actual PCV valve. I was... unhappy with that at 10 PM on a Sunday night. Would have been easier if I had fresher hose, but all I had in my stash that was close was a little crispy itself.

KakerMix posted:

I'd buy my fuel at Costco if they had diesel
:argh:

I'd buy fuel at Costco if they would actually build on in the mid-cities (of Dallas-Fort Worth.) The nearest one is close enough for bulk shopping, but not for gas.

Y'all detailing your cars reminds me that I should probably wash my Crown Vic at some point. Poor big girl hasn't had a bath in about a year, I think.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just wanna complain. As some of you know, nearly all Coloradans can't use Rockauto anymore because of the local sales tax collection setup.

The window scrapers on the International are non existent, and spraying the window leads to a ton of water draining out of it, so I decided that should be a part of this project.

I found universal rubber that works, it's available for $22 at RA, $36 at some otherplace like CarID, and 41 on eBay. With RA out of the running, the other place plus shipping is $46, I end up ordering this from eBay.

And its not the first time that I find exactly what I want on RA and it's available almost nowhere else. It seems every other website is able to pay local taxes, and my complaints to the city got no response and honestly they got bigger fish to fry and I really don't have the ambition to push that particular item either.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

New Hampshire being New Hampshire has basically told the Federal Govt and other states that it won't collect taxes for other states on NH based businesses. Throw in that Mass wants to still collect income taxes from people who live in NH but work in Mass usually but have been working at home in NH since March is going to be another poo poo storm. Sometimes it is funny living in Libertarians the State just to see how they rail against any and all forms of taxation.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BigPaddy posted:

New Hampshire being New Hampshire has basically told the Federal Govt and other states that it won't collect taxes for other states on NH based businesses. Throw in that Mass wants to still collect income taxes from people who live in NH but work in Mass usually but have been working at home in NH since March is going to be another poo poo storm. Sometimes it is funny living in Libertarians the State just to see how they rail against any and all forms of taxation.

I get it in a idealistic way. In a 2020 practical way, it doesn't seem like a difficult process for accounting software to handle for you. Absolute worst case is a lot of envelope stuffing, best case is total automated online payments with an error checking routine to make sure values are within a reasonable range. I personally will spend a few hundred per year and used to reccomend RA to everyone. I guess with great prices come very low margins.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

I get it in a idealistic way. In a 2020 practical way, it doesn't seem like a difficult process for accounting software to handle for you. Absolute worst case is a lot of envelope stuffing, best case is total automated online payments with an error checking routine to make sure values are within a reasonable range. I personally will spend a few hundred per year and used to reccomend RA to everyone. I guess with great prices come very low margins.

This is because Colorado has like 600 combinations of tax jurisdiction combinations, right?
It's not like there isn't accounting software that can handle it (not that it isn't still stupid to put that burden on sellers.) I guess RA decided that sales form the other 49 states is enough, and CO isn't worth the effort?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

This is because Colorado has like 600 combinations of tax jurisdiction combinations, right?
It's not like there isn't accounting software that can handle it (not that it isn't still stupid to put that burden on sellers.) I guess RA decided that sales form the other 49 states is enough, and CO isn't worth the effort?

683 districts apparently. I heard yesterday the state coffers are doing better than expected because of the internet sales tax collection. So good for us I guess.

I hate sales tax.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

683 districts apparently. I heard yesterday the state coffers are doing better than expected because of the internet sales tax collection. So good for us I guess.

I hate sales tax.

I'd rather pay sales tax than property tax. Love having to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars a year for a house I OWN. Don't pay the taxes? You won't own it anymore.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

McTinkerson posted:

Get that good 2 stroke oil and straight into the tank with it.... Well premixed I mean.

E: i ran 2 stroke mix in my common rail diesel too before I got a Vpower card and changed to 100% Vpower. But that's a different topic Re: sulphur free diesel with bio percentage.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 5, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

EvilBeard posted:

I'd rather pay sales tax than property tax. Love having to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars a year for a house I OWN. Don't pay the taxes? You won't own it anymore.

Regressive taxes are really great aren’t they?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

More NH chat, people here bitch about property taxes but if you even bring up an income or sales tax they will explode with atomic rage about the NH advantage and blah blah blah. These the same people who will complain about taxes going up and not understanding things like inflation. Had at least one case of someone standing on their property armed when the tax assessors were making their rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

BigPaddy posted:

Throw in that Mass wants to still collect income taxes from people who live in NH but work in Mass usually but have been working at home in NH since March is going to be another poo poo storm.

I can't wait to fight that one.... I'm not honestly sure which way that's going to go